• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

This game's too addictive. I was just about to stop playing after a session that went on for way too long and then I get the fucking Charon drop and have no choice but to got through another run.

I'm loving the upgraded miner at the moment, being able to see all the treasure chests on the map is pretty broken.

Amir0x

Banned
I think you feel carefree because, as long as you at least garner some decent gold on any given run, you're making progress that will carry on to future playthroughs. Even though this game has permadeath, dying is pretty inconsequential. You can just start anew almost immediately after dying without missing a beat.

yeah but there have been other Roguelike "light" titles that I played very carefully too and had relatively minimal consequences for dying... something about the title makes me want to be reckless. Maybe it's that crazy confident gait of yours...

...in any event, I really am liking this title. So far based on my play time, it'd hit within my top 5 for the year so far.

Agkel

BEST MOTHAFUCKING GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!!

Good god I just beat it and this game shits on anything I've played so far this year. AAA, F2P, indie, MMOs, etc... Nothing compares in the fun department to this game.

The Dungeon phase was a pain in the fucking ass and I had to grind a lot to be able to get through it. In the end I also opted for skipping a lot of the baddies to be able to get to the 4th boss dungeon.

Final Boss delivers so hard! But I don't want to spoil anything! :)

Played one game+ run quickly and holy shit does it get worse!(Difficulty wise).

But now I'm off to bed bcs I'm pretty sure I'm about to pass out!

Amir0x

Banned
BEST MOTHAFUCKING GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!!

Good god I just beat it and this game shits on anything I've played so far this year. AAA, F2P, indie, MMOs, etc... Nothing compares in the fun department to this game.

The Dungeon phase was a pain in the fucking ass and I had to grind a lot to be able to get through it. In the end I also opted for skipping a lot of the baddies to be able to get to the 4th boss dungeon.

Final Boss delivers so hard! But I don't want to spoil anything! :)

Played one game+ run quickly and holy shit does it get worse!(Difficulty wise).

But now I'm off to bed bcs I'm pretty sure I'm about to pass out!

Did you play Antichamber? Putting aside Rogue Legacy for a moment, if you haven't, you should play it. It's my current GOTY, so amazing.

But yeah, like you, I'm really impressed with the game so far. It's in my top 5 this year if it maintains the quality as I get really deep into the world.

If this were a totally different genre, like a survival horror, I could see the journal entries fitting right in. Save for the one about
shitting into another dimension
they're all pretty dark and dreadful. In a good way - I think they're well written.

Mrbob

This game's too addictive. I was just about to stop playing after a session that went on for way too long and then I get the fucking Charon drop and have no choice but to got through another run.

I'm loving the upgraded miner at the moment, being able to see all the treasure chests on the map is pretty broken.

I should have went to sleep last night earlier but I kept playing "Just one more game", and then all of a sudden it is over an hour later.

I'm half awake today but it is worth it. Game is amazing. I want trading cards now. :p

Agkel

Did you play Antichamber? Putting aside Rogue Legacy for a moment, if you haven't, you should play it. It's my current GOTY, so amazing.

But yeah, like you, I'm really impressed with the game so far. It's in my top 5 this year if it maintains the quality as I get really deep into the world.

Yeah, I wont be playing Rogue's +game anytime soon. I saw Twat Biscuit's WTF on Antichamber and it looks pretty interesting. I might give it a go, since I'm also taking a break from LoL and Scrolls and don't want to look at my backlog. Thx for the recommendation.

aravuus

Had a weird problem with the PS3 controller, where it sometimes double-jumped right after I had jumped. As if I had rapidly pressed the button twice.

But no worries, I just configured LB as a down arrow in joytokey, now I can do the air-down attack with LB! Much easier

Had a weird problem with the PS3 controller, where it sometimes double-jumped right after I had jumped. As if I had rapidly pressed the button twice.

But no worries, I just configured LB as a down arrow in joytokey, now I can do the air-down attack with LB! Much easier

I tried switching jump and magic or attack to the shoulder buttons but I just couldn't adjust. It would be nice to not have to click jump, then move my thumb to attack, but it's just way too uncomfortable to hold the controller that way.

I've started to find "Blood" gear with vampirism stats on each piece. I get 8 HP back for every enemy I kill.

This game fucking rocks.

Why won't more items drop??

I've got all the squire and knight stuff, but still missing a couple of the blood items. But I beat the first boss and haven't gotten a new piece in fucking forever. Even looking around in that second area that's all green and purple I still haven't found new shit.

It's broken!

Edit: just got silver helm, so I guess I was just unlucky for a while.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Whats the trick to beating this and what level were you when you did? Seriously that seems fast.....Im like level 65-70 or something and i am just comfortable in the forest stage and trying my luck in the tower.

Amir0x

Banned
Whats the trick to beating this and what level were you when you did? Seriously that seems fast.....Im like level 65-70 or something and i am just comfortable in the forest stage and trying my luck in the tower.

Even though level obviously matters, you need good reflexes too, so try to hone those when entering combat. Dunno if it's an issue for you but I find it's a generally good tip for this game

Ridley327

You can upgrade the miner to spelunker or something like that. What does that do? Give more gold?

Spelunker displays all chests and special areas on the overall map, even if it isn't filled it. It makes it a lot easier to get where you need to go, since boss rooms always have two chests in them.

Lethal

Neo Member
This game is so damn good.

The castle is easy enough for me now but I have a real hard time going anywhere else. Need to farm some gold so I can get my stats up or something.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
15k Gold Run

9161610469_bdc41c27e5_o.png

That shit was epic.

garath

God this game is great. Lich is my favorite. Clearing the tower plus a couple blood items gives me huge health. That and Hoboken.

I have a lot unlocked but still want mooooore!!

TheExodu5

Banned
God this game is great. Lich is my favorite. Clearing the tower plus a couple blood items gives me huge health. That and Hoboken.

Sounds like me. Lich and Haboken (hokage?) all the way.

edit: man, this game just shows why I love indie games so much. As much as I loved The Last of Us, this simple little title has me far more captivated than it ever did. It goes to show that budget isn't everything.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
So... I need someone to tell me what happens in the end. Because my climactic duel against the final boss intended with us killing each other simultaneously, which resulted in the usual death cutscene followed by 'start your new game+'

Chrysalis

How long is a first run-through? I read a review that said there were 4 bosses, and beating the first boss in the demo didn't take very long...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
How long is a first run-through? I read a review that said there were 4 bosses, and beating the first boss in the demo didn't take very long...
Took me about 7 hours but I had a lot of runs where I just meandered around and explored. You could probably beat it quickly if you just lock the castle down and teleported to the bosses and just practiced them until you could beat them.

Second Boss downnnnnn!

I don't know what it is about the Archmage - I can't use him for shit during the levels, but on bosses it's all "magic spells and run away", which works perfectly

Is there a better way to get drops for new items in the game? Or if your damage/damage reduction falls off, are you just somewhat consigned to funneling tons of money into the armor and strength castle item? I ask because I got through two bosses without too much issue, but now the gear I have is really inadequate for getting too far in the Maya. Is new gear keyed off of level or something I am missing, because five swatting mobile enemies and dying in three-four hits is not getting me anywhere.

Is it possible to kill a spiketor without a retaliation rune? Twice now I've had them randomly die on me. Once right when I hit it with my sword, the second time when I hit a random painting.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Been playing for 10 hours, i think im like level 89. Im a fire breathing dragon now. Havent tried beating a boss yet. I still die quickly in the dungeons.

fleck0

It'll vary because of the randomness, but I've played 10 hours, am level 100 and haven't seen the door that leads to the third boss, the 3rd area is still kicking my ass. (though I'll bet I could find and beat him right now if I had more gaming skills)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

What's your max health? My lich seems to top up at 82 with 3 blood items. :(

I love spellswords though. Magic is super useful when you can actually use it regularly.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah what's the deal with Lich, then? Mine starts at around 80hp and tops at around 200hp right now. Anyways, as I don't use much magic, I've determined lich is mostly pointless to me. Might as well take Barbarian or Paladin.

Amir0x

Banned
Man I need to climb out of this hole I'm in, tired of black faceless offspring of doom. Time to put on my serious face *DEADFACE*

I think people wondering how long/short it is are missing the point. Anyone who has beaten it at this point hasn't covered a third of the upgrades or armor/runes to collect(which is fine, if they are skilled enough to do it). I feel like the real game is in just powering up the character. The eventuality in which I absolutely destroy the bosses can wait.

I do wonder what governs the Lich King HP though. sometimes it seems capped very low and others I get up to 300+.

multivac

Man, I'm really loving the soundtrack on this, too. Especially the credits song, "The Fish and the Whale." If you bought it through Humble Bundle, you should have the soundtrack. Or just open the credits from the main menu!

goblin

Is there a better way to get drops for new items in the game? Or if your damage/damage reduction falls off, are you just somewhat consigned to funneling tons of money into the armor and strength castle item? I ask because I got through two bosses without too much issue, but now the gear I have is really inadequate for getting too far in the Maya. Is new gear keyed off of level or something I am missing, because five swatting mobile enemies and dying in three-four hits is not getting me anywhere.

Each area seems to have its own pieces of gear that'll drop from the chests there, with the regular and steel-bound chests containing items on the top two rows of a given category (e.g. swords, helms) and the gilded chests from mini-bosses in the pink question mark rooms having the stuff on the third row; these are the special items with downsides like the Blood and Sage sets. You'll know when you've tapped a zone because all the chests you find will just drop gold, gems or stat boosters.

If you want to farm items you can use the Spelunker and just go on item runs. Since you're having a tough time in the Maya, some of the Ranger stuff from the Forest might help if you don't have any. Just keep the castle locked down and prioritize grabbing chests and -- optionally, since you may not want the special equipment -- fighting mini-bosses.

Top Bottom