• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Caerith

I find the combat is a lot like Dark Souls in how it requires deliberate action and punishes your mistakes. You learn early on with the Charites that you need to wait to attack until the right time-- you can get the first hit, but if you swing too early they fly right into your face before you can swing again. It's even worse when you're swinging in one direction but desperately need to turn around-- though one trait (EDS or something) does let you turn around as you attack.

As for the movement and mobility, it's no coincidence that the Enchantress comes with the double jump and the dash runes. The game intends you to get those first, before you even reach the first boss, so that you always have the mobility you need. Every time I swap one of those runes out for something else, I have to be extra careful.

I don't fault you for wanting the game to be different in this way or that. I think we all have games we say "what could have been!" for.

I am curious about your input lag, though. I'm on windows 7 and using a PS3 controller with an xinput wrapper and haven't noticed any lag. Could just be I don't notice it, could be it isn't there.

Here's a list which has most of the achievements.

I believe Zoophobia is achieved by killing all the mini bosses, as I believe I got mine after I killed the warlock duo the first time.

And yeah, Hedgehogs curse is the reason I basically never pray.

There's like an 85% (pulled that number from my ass, but shouldn't be too far from the truth) chance of getting something that's actually beneficial. Not praying sounds like a terrible idea.

The difficulty spike between new game + and new game ++ is pretty brutal.

This. I am just playing to get the last two achievements, Disposophobia (getting all equipment) and Coulrophilia (succeed in a clown event), and I really hit a brick wall. While I did get enough money to get an upgrade or two every run, it was just way too slow. Usually die before I make it out of the castle, and I hardly find any gear, or a single clown event. I actually had to start using a grace rune (makes enemies easier, at the cost of less rewards) and it's much better now. While I have enjoyed the game a lot, I am ready to put it down now. I am not a NG+ kinda guy. Hope they will release some more stuff for the game at some point.

Caerith

How many minibosses are there? I've killed the following and no achievement:

Botis - the jerk-knight
Berith and Halphas - the jerk skeletons
Amon and Barbatos - the mages
Focalor and Stolas - those jerk plants
Sallos - the jerk painting

Also, I am terrible at the clown games. I have better luck with axes, but still can't do better than 11 remaining.

Violet_0

Banned
First time getting to Alexander in the Forest. Looked easy enough...but fuck that guy. Should be easier now expecting that.

beat him on my second try. His attacks can be easily dodged, and when you can one-hit the skulls and have 8 or 10 vampirism you can just stand there and lay down the beating on him

the third boss however made me reset the game because you can't leach life, there's just too much shit to dodge and I could only take three hits despite all my armor and health. I only managed to get him down to one third of his health a couple of times. I was lvl 95+ at this point so I think level scaling is to blame here

garath

beat him on my second try. His attacks can be easily dodged, and when you can one-hit the skulls and have 8 or 10 vampirism you can just stand there and lay down the beating on him

the third boss however made me reset the game because you can't leach life, there's just too much shit to dodge and I could only take three hits despite all my armor and health. I only managed to get him down to one third of his health a couple of times. I was lvl 95+ at this point so I think level scaling is to blame here

I'm kind of in the same boat. Struggling with the third boss. I think I'm level 85 or something. Even my normal rock solid paladin can't do it. Either I do too little damage, can't dodge well enough or can't take enough hits. I can take quite a few hits but there's just so much on the screen that I can't play it perfect long enough for the kill.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
This game is so awesome. I was gonna wait for a sale but bought it at full price to support the devs and hope for a future Vita release. It seemed like they weren't opposed to the idea on twitter.

Watching the GB quicklook, the thing that jumps out the most to me is that while you get knocked back by enemy hits, the opposite is not true: enemies just keep right on coming after you hit them. This seems like a weird decision choice / arbitrary way to add difficulty.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Watching the GB quicklook, the thing that jumps out the most to me is that while you get knocked back by enemy hits, the opposite is not true: enemies just keep right on coming after you hit them. This seems like a weird decision choice / arbitrary way to add difficulty.

That is a trait that varies from character to character.

Botis - the jerk-knight

Hey.

The mages are jerks too.

Chris R

I need to play this more, but man do I suck at it. Seems like every time I die I have just under the gold I need to buy something useful :(

KarmaCow

Other than (most) bosses and the portrait enemies, everything gets knocked back unless you have the weakness trait.

lt519

I need to play this more, but man do I suck at it. Seems like every time I die I have just under the gold I need to buy something useful :(

Try saying NOPE more often. I find that I often handicap myself because I have OCD and need to kill every enemy in a room or attempt to get every fairy chests. The reward for killing that last enemy or getting that fairy chest usually doesn't outweigh the hit my health takes. My runs last much longer when I have discipline and don't try and take on a fairy chest protected by mountains of spikes.

Violet_0

Banned

btw don't buy just anything just because you can afford it, plan how you invest in you skills or get screwed late game

Botis - the jerk-knight

Also, I am terrible at the clown games. I have better luck with axes, but still can't do better than 11 remaining.

I think those are all the min bosses. So i guess it's not that after all. It's not kill one of every enemy either, because I hadn't killed a single 3rd tier ninja when I got mine. As for the clown event, I am pretty bad at them too. The axe event is the easiest imo. 11 is just 1 away from completing it though.

Other than (most) bosses and the portrait enemies, everything gets knocked back unless you have the weakness trait.

3rd tier zombies won't be knocked back either.

Grief.exe

So what's the best way to beat the Forest boss? I end up getting overwhelmed by his adds.

It almost reminds me of a DPS check from WOW.

I more want some general tips more than, this is exactly how you do it, kind of explanation.

Violet_0

Banned
So what's the best way to beat the Forest boss? I end up getting overwhelmed by his adds.

I posted this a couple of posts above:
His attacks can be easily dodged, and when you can one-hit the skulls and have 8 or 10 vampirism you can just stand there and lay down the beating on him

that's how I did it, anyway. Run around the room clock-wise, avoid his laser, hit him whenever it's safe to do so, replenish health by killing the skulls

Mugaaz

btw don't buy just anything just because you can afford it, plan how you invest in you skills or get screwed late game

Oh come on, BS. Money becomes completely irrelevant late game. You cannot screw up a character in this. Even if you buy a 100 worthless upgrades, that only raises the price by 1000. Once you get into late game you can do 20k+ runs easy.

Grief.exe

I posted this a couple of posts above:
His attacks can be easily dodged, and when you can one-hit the skulls and have 8 or 10 vampirism you can just stand there and lay down the beating on him

that's how I did it, anyway. Run around the room clock-wise, avoid his laser, hit him whenever it's safe to do so, replenish health by killing the skulls

Sorry for not reading your post earlier, just jumped in and posted between runs ;)

So I need to increase my DPS and get some blood gear.

I have blood ruins, but it takes me two swings to kill the skulls.

Violet_0

Banned
Oh come on, BS. Money becomes completely irrelevant late game. You cannot screw up a character in this. Even if you buy a 100 worthless upgrades, that only raises the price by 1000. Once you get into late game you can do 20k+ runs easy.

I don't really care about the money, but I suspect level scaling might have made my first save file far harder than it should be (can't say for sure though, testing my theory with my new save). The third boss was just impossible with my old save

So I need to increase my DPS and get some blood gear.

I have blood ruins, but it takes me two swings to kill the skulls.

try the Shinobi (if you don't have a crit-centered build). That should do the trick

MMaRsu

It almost reminds me of a DPS check from WOW.

I more want some general tips more than, this is exactly how you do it, kind of explanation.

Use a uhm lich class based character with full blood gear. Destroy all the adds. Be sure that your crit chance is around 25%. Also basic damage output around 45/120 crit should help.

I beat the forest boss last night as a lich, and it was pretty easy because you get life from all the adds adds and you can kill them in 1/2 hits. Just hop around the stage and dash around if you can. You can also hit him in a spot under him if he's doing his barrage energy attack.

Caerith

I managed to beat Alexander as a Paladin with Alzheimers and ADHD. Being able to oneshot the adds and get health from them is good (I had three Balance runes, vault and sprint), but he will spawn them faster than you can kill them so you need to end the fight as soon as you can. Problem with Alexander are that he moves fast-- if he isn't shooting, he's moving towards you, so you'll take damage trying to hit him unless you swing then backdash. The only time it's really safe to bash him is when he's shooting, and you need to be below him with enough clearance so that the horizontal spam doesn't hit you while you swing at the corner.

It's easy to lose the Alexander fight by trying to dodge or farm adds-- the longer the fight goes, the more likely you are to make a mistake, and if your mistakes outweigh the health you're getting back you are going to die. Don't forget to hit the the boss as often as possible, and if it's close to the wire just remember that you're invulnerable for like a full second when you take damage, and that time could be more than enough to kill him.

Edit: oh yeah, one more thing-- check your gear. I spent a good deal of time exploring the forest and the Maya before taking on Alexander, and it was a lot more manageable with Ranger and Sky gear (I think my defense is up to 70 now).

FoxSpirit

They are permanent. I beat it with 300+ some odd children and 21 hours playtime.
What, the regular run??

I just reset btw. 17 hours and I was just about to beat the 3rd boss. I am pretty sure all those spiked balls were a "you are level 109" feature anyway. Btw, Barbarian shout cleans out the room in that fight ;-)
Screw that, people have finished in under 10 and NG+++ by hour 22. Let's see how it goes this time, first boss down at level 19, this time no falloff in scaling curve, phew.

What, the regular run??

Yep, learned as I went, I tried to brute force my way through the bosses which didn't work, and rushed through with each heir instead of taking my time and trying to do a complete level instead of mad dashing to a boss. But I learned after a while. Still enjoyed it immensely.

elfinke

I want a trait that lets me hit NPCs.

That smarmy fucking elf and his three treasure chests, oh man, I just want to turn him into a elven Ouroboros‎ that goes ass->sword->face.

Finished off Season 5 of Mad Men last night and the Maya boss. Took me three tries to 'get it', and it turned out that an Hokage hitting for a stack (150?) of non-crit (obviously) damage did the trick. Now been mucking around in the depths and enjoying the added brutality of the enemies down there.

Raxum

That smarmy fucking elf and his three treasure chests, oh man, I just want to turn him into a elven Ouroboros‎ that goes ass->sword->face.

Finished off Season 5 of Mad Men last night and the Maya boss. Took me three tries to 'get it', and it turned out that an Hokage hitting for a stack (150?) of non-crit (obviously) damage did the trick. Now been mucking around in the depths and enjoying the added brutality of the enemies down there.

Definitely agreed about that smarmy elf, he's really annoying. "What's that in the box? NOTHING, sucker" *stab stab stab stab*

Anyway, I got myself up to the end boss of the castle and the scaling he has is ridiculous, I must've leveled myself up too much or something, but he hits like a truck, unless I'm a Barbarian, I die in about 2-3 hits. And he spams the crap out of everything. Might just take me a while to get used to his patterns or something.

Third boss was difficult until I got the dragon class. Circling the whole boss room while flying and avoiding the spike balls made it easier. Even easier was the trait that makes you shoot spells backwards. Spell spam while running away ftw.

Oh wow, I found myself swinging at him also. Eventually I decided never to participate in his games again.

Zocano

I am utterly loving this game. My problem with most rogue-likes is just the general sense of no progression. I can dump hours and hours into a game and feel like I have made zero progress (my main issue with FTL outside of just not getting into the gameplay). Yah sure this is probably one of the key things about rogue-likes but also one of the key elements that keep me from enjoying them.

This game completely circumvents that and is all about that growth between "runs" and I love it. I love the 2D platforming action and although I think Spelunky is a better and more solid 2D platformer, I still enjoy this greatly, too.

edit: I beat the forest boss on my first try but I basically have been grinding obscene amounts in the standard castle area so I was very prepared damage wise.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I am an ass.

A complete, total ass.

I got to the final boss and completely cleared out the map before fighting him. Died after a good effort. Decided to stock up on high level gear instead of the vampire gear I was wearing. Charged into the castle with my fancy new outfit ready to kick some ass, not even stopping to think about Charon's offer. Of course I want to give you my gold, I have a boss to kill and I'm going to do it while running as proudly as any video game character in history.

Huh.

That's a pretty big amount of gold I'm walking in here with.

I only have one level of haggle.

...I just gave up 200,000 in gold from my best run ever.

I am an ass.

If I didn't actually win that next fight I might have hurt something. First playthrough beaten, 74 total children and my first Barbarian to win against a boss.

joesmokey

I love this game but my framerate in windowed mode is absolutely abysmal. Fullscreen is completely smooth but I can't play this game in fullscreen.

Is anyone else having similar issues? I've tried D3DOverrider to no avail.

Running on a Titan and 2600k.

Caerith

I love this game but my framerate in windowed mode is absolutely abysmal. Fullscreen is completely smooth but I can't play this game in fullscreen.

I just tried switching back and forth between windowed and fullscreen a few times and my heart is fine didn't notice a significant drop in framerate. It might have dropped a little, the animations may have been a bit less smooth, but certainly not to an unplayably abysmal level.

2500k and 570. 8GB RAM, but I don't expect that matters unless you're playing with 512MB or something ridiculous like that.

elfinke

Yeah I mentioned it before the game proper came out - the demo ran poorly in any form of windowed mode on my 2500k + 6950. Full screen is perfect, but no go on windowed. I suspect there is probably some grief between refresh rates causing it, but I didn't bother to inspect.

Weird, mine has been a locked 60 in both fullscreen and windowed on an i5-2320 and a 670. The frame rate only stutters when my wallpaper changes.

Windows 8? I have the same issue, iI don't mind play in windowed though.

Caerith

I'm using Windows 7.

Disabling Aero seems to have helped solve the issue, though I'm not sure why since this isn't something I ever have to do. At least I am back to a steady frame rate :).
You know, I noticed with Fairy Bloom Freesia that the options has a checkbox for Windows Aero; checking it would disable Aero while the game ran so you'd get a better framerate. I had disabled Aero a long time ago, but I can see why it would mess with some games.

KarmaCow

I think I screwed up.

I spread out my points the in the skill tree rather than levelling stats and managed to somewhat cheese the final boss with a Barbarian King/Queen. I didn't realise New Game + would
shove end game enemies at the beginning and now it's a pain to deal with those enemies to get cash.

is it actually statistically possible to beat this game on your first attempt or is this not a skill based game in any way

keeping persistence from every attempt sounds pretty shitty

Chris R

Well I'm just trying to get the skills in the towers built up and some basic gear as well. Only like level 10 so far, just need to play more so I can get better at it.

Ridley327

Finally got all the achievements; they certainly don't throw a lot of miniboss rooms at you for blueprints, that's for sure.

is it actually statistically possible to beat this game on your first attempt or is this not a skill based game in any way

keeping persistence from every attempt sounds pretty shitty

Statistically, no. Physically, maybe, but you would probably need to already have sunk a thousand hours into it to become that good. It's probably a lot more realistic to do it on your second try though, because you can get enough money to upgrade both jump and dash abilities on your first run pretty easily.

To say it is not skill based in any way would be grossly misunderstanding. Progression matters, but without skill you will come to a point where you will not be able to progress because your runs will give you less money than you need to upgrade further.

Top Bottom