• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

steadfast

Man, fuck NG++ right in the ear. I'm having way too difficult of a time even grinding out gold. It's no longer fun but the first two were pretty great.

garath

It most likely would have been just as fast to keep going with your first game.

No. I was stalled for 2 hours. Upgrades cost 2-3k gold and I was lucky to net that in a single run. So underpowered in stats. I literally put a single point in everything except health and weight before starting on stats. Just wanted to unlock the trees.

SMgamer83

Man, fuck NG++ right in the ear. I'm having way too difficult of a time even grinding out gold. It's no longer fun but the first two were pretty great.
It may sound cheesy...but use grace runes. At the 2+ level, 2 grace runes should make it manageable again, and allow you to farm up.

ArjanN

No. I was stalled for 2 hours. Upgrades cost 2-3k gold and I was lucky to net that in a single run. So underpowered in stats. I literally put a single point in everything except health and weight before starting on stats. Just wanted to unlock the trees.

I did the same thing and while you might get stalled midgame, eventually you still outlevel the enemy scaling.

If you had put the hours you put in the new game into the old one you probably would have been over the hump as well.

Igo

I'm struggling badly to get out of the castle right now, but I hardly ever die with less than 30k in gold each run. Roll with 4 gold and a single jump rune and see how you do. I've maxed out my crit stats thanks to the increased gold per kill in ng++.

If I could just get out of the fucking castle with some consistency I have a feeling I would enjoy ng++ a lot more.

Haunted

I'm having real trouble with Ponce De Leon.

I could deal with him and the fire I think, but I'm running into so many of those fucking spike balls while dodging. Weird.

DONE

venting a bit and going in again real focused and with some more mobility (haste and sky runes) worked out well.

I now dread the last boss from what I've read in this thread. :eek:

I strongly disagree with this. Spellsword (in particular) and Archmage do just fine. My first good run on NG++ was a Spellsword.

I'd put spellswords at 4th unless you get one with flame barrier. but in NG+3 they stop being as effective as paladins or barbarians.

and archmages are great in the early game but at some point 6 mana per kill isn't enough and spellswords are always the better option for magic damage.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I gave up on NG+ and started a new game.

I'm going full on mage/spell sword this time. Is it possible? I'm assuming it is and quite powerful at that--granted you get a good roll on your children's spell.

Foaloal

I'd put spellswords at 4th unless you get one with flame barrier. but in NG+3 they stop being as effective as paladins or barbarians.

and archmages are great in the early game but at some point 6 mana per kill isn't enough and spellswords are always the better option for magic damage.

I don't see how a paladin or barbarian is anywhere near as effective as the spellsword, but maybe I am missing something.

You do know that the spellsword's special ability creates a giant and super powerful version of their spell, right?

With something like the chakram that multihits you can easily dish out thousands of damage per second and then get one critical attack and your MP bar is back to full.
even hokage/assassin can't keep up with the spellswords damage.

I seriously think spellsword is the best class in the game, provided you have a good spell like the chakram. Spellsword wrecked all the bosses up to ng+5 where I stopped, and I can't imagine it would stop being useful unless NG+ goes to like NG+30 or so.

Grief.exe

I'm kind of stuck when moving into the Tower after I beat the forest boss.

Any advice for the area, I'm having some trouble.

I don't see how a paladin or barbarian is anywhere near as effective as the spellsword, but maybe I am missing something.

You do know that the spellsword's special ability creates a giant and super powerful version of their spell, right?

With something like the chakram that multihits you can easily dish out thousands of damage per second and then get one critical attack and your MP bar is back to full.

I seriously think spellsword is the best class in the game, provided you have a good spell like the chakram. Spellsword wrecked all the bosses up to ng+5 where I stopped, and I can't imagine it would stop being useful unless NG+ goes to like NG+30 or so.

Time to switch to Spellsword

Linkinito

Rogue Legacy in one mail:
1373366114-sans-titre-2.png

Sorry, but... No. Couldn't get fun out of it, and that within the first minutes. I always finish my games, but I think I've never gotten a so bad reaction over a game. Seriously, I really hated it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wow I was making ok progress using all blood gear... then I decided to try other gear and the depleted health you take from blood gear totally was NOT worth it, managed to score about 6k gold on my first run and made it a decent way into the forest. I think i'm upgrading shit all wrong, but who cares, it's addictive.

FINALBOSS

Banned
wow I was making ok progress using all blood gear... then I decided to try other gear and the depleted health you take from blood gear totally was NOT worth it, managed to score about 6k gold on my first run and made it a decent way into the forest. I think i'm upgrading shit all wrong, but who cares, it's addictive.

Man you worded that weird took me a second to get it right. Yeah blood gear just doesn't seem worth it. The tradeoff and loss of HP is just so massive--especially with HP being so major in this game. It honestly only seems effective when combined with a bunch of other life leech enchantress stuff--and even then you miss out on crucial movement bonuses.

That said I restarted again for shits and giggles since I'm having so much fun and going pure Spellsword. Fucking love him. So so good.

buffi

Banned
Got to New game +10 this morning, and I have all my stats maxed now, and have bought all runes.
Still missing some equipment (mini-boss spawns are too rare...), but I have all the best stuff, so I think I'm going to call it quits now after 22 hours or so, since there's nothing left to spend money on.

Great game.

ArjanN

Sorry, but... No. Couldn't get fun out of it, and that within the first minutes. I always finish my games, but I think I've never gotten a so bad reaction over a game. Seriously, I really hated it.

How long did you play it for? Because the first several lives you are obviously supposed to die really quickly until you get some money to upgrade your dude.

Also, I always thought asking your money back for a game that isn't straight-up broken is a bit lame, but whatever.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

game is amazing! they should've charged you twice

Linkinito

How long did you play it for? Because the first several lives you are obviously supposed to die really quickly until you get some money to upgrade your dude.

Also, I always thought asking your money back for a game that isn't straight-up broken is a bit lame, but whatever.
4 to 5 hours. Just hit the "progression wall" where I couldn't get nearly anywhere.

aravuus

5 hours out of a pretty cheap indie game and you ask for a refund? Wow lmao

I wish they had replied "you should have tried the demo first then, no refund"

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
4 to 5 hours. Just hit the "progression wall" where I couldn't get nearly anywhere.

you cheap ass.

"I'm sorry this game is too hard for me after 5 hours of playing it, give me 15$"
edit: Double wtf this game even has a demo.

antitrop

You played a $15 indie game for 5 hours and then asked for a refund?

Hahahaha, I can't even believe it. That's fucked up, man. It's pretty unethical and I think it reflects poorly upon your character as a person. It's like going into a restaurant and eating a steak and then when the server delivers the check you start complaining about how terrible the steak was and how you shouldn't have to pay for it.

No, if you don't like the steak, you don't eat it, and then you can rate a refund.

So this game has a demo that you ignored, you played 4 - 5 hours of it and yet you still asked for a refund?

Poor form.

Ridley327

I could deal with him and the fire I think, but I'm running into so many of those fucking spike balls while dodging. Weird.

DONE

venting a bit and going in again real focused and with some more mobility (haste and sky runes) worked out well.

He's honestly not that hard; his patterns are some of the easiest to read in the entire game.

The customer is always right, even when the customer is a spergy jerk.

One of the biggest myths in retail. The customer is almost always wrong. You just need to do whatever you can to get them to leave without creating too big of a scene.

Hello Capcom

I paid full price for Ghosts N Goblins and have played it for ten hours

but I couldn't beat this boss so please give me my money back

1373366114-sans-titre-2.png

All these people with so much love for the game, and you state rather objectively that the game is too hard and unbalanced to be fun.

You're unbalanced.

The funny(sad?) thing is that the demo for the game is very representative of the finished product. And it's only like a 120MB download.

aravuus

It's not just representative, it's fucking massive. Going from how long most indie games are, they could have easily asked ten bucks for the demo alone.

impirius

[snip img]

I'm sure this post must have seemed like a good idea at the time, but I can't figure out how

Toki1776

DONE

The barbarian's shout helped me out with both Ponce de Leon and the last boss. Up until the Ponce fight, I didn't even realize that it destroyed all projectiles, lol...

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/28/1373366114-sans-titre-2.png[IMG]

Sorry, but... No. Couldn't get fun out of it, and that within the first minutes. I always finish my games, but I think I've never gotten a so bad reaction over a game. Seriously, I really hated it.[/QUOTE]
You asked for your money back...ugh.

Haunted

The barbarian's shout helped me out with both Ponce de Leon and the last boss. Up until the Ponce fight, I didn't even realize that it destroyed all projectiles, lol...

This seems like useful information.

demidar

Spellsword is without a doubt the best class, but it does require some skill as they're quite squishy.

Dragons are also useful in a few spots because they can fly. Some people might not know this (I certainly didn't until a ways in I admit), but when you activate flight mode you can move up and down with the movement keys as well, which is hugely helpful against the Darkness boss.

Just wanted to add my two cents: Linkinito, that was the epitome of lame. I don't know whether to shake my head for calling this game "unbalanced", for just plain sucking (the game's not even that hard and controls like a dream), or for such a douche move towards the developers after playing for five hours.

No, wait, the latter is the worse one.

Top Bottom