• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

FoxSpirit

Cleared newgame++, decided to try out +++ but it was basically the same with maybe slightly higher enemy stats. I was so used to fighting them now though that before I knew it I had beaten +++ in only 2 characters.

First an assassin that cleaned out the castle and tower and made 300k gold in a single run. I used the money to max my magic attack and then a spellsword with empowered fire shield just destroyed the rest.

I doubt ++++ will be much different so I think I'm done.
Total children: 169
Level 408
Playtime 22 hours.
Okay, HOW??
I have 14 hours, level 90 and still not cleared out the tower. Regular tower. Most of my skills are around 10 and all classes are upgraded. What am I doing wrong?

Edgeward

I think I got Botis down. Considering all his options don't cover the top of his head, I just try to stay close and keep my downstab going. Beat him today without taking any damage finally.

On a side note, I wish the downstab lasted longer. Those platforms can really mess you up with the short active frame windows for the stab.

rybrad

Okay, HOW??
I have 14 hours, level 90 and still not cleared out the tower. Regular tower. Most of my skills are around 10 and all classes are upgraded. What am I doing wrong?
What are you having trouble with specifically? Is the boss killing you or just getting through the trash?

The best thing to do is figure out if you are having trouble because the enemies are living too long or you aren't living long enough. If they take more than a few hits to kill, focus on your DPS stats as the faster the die the easier the situation becomes. If you are already killing enemies quickly, then bump up your defense stats a little to give yourself some more margin for error. Outside of that, pattern recognition of the mobs is your best friend.

I mainly focused on the melee DPS stats and slight armor for manor upgrades while ignoring mana and hp almost entirely for my regular playthrough. If you haven't unlocked the dragon class yet, I would avoid doing that so you don't get that into your class rotation right now.

Ninja edit: I should add that Assassin with crit upgrades is stupidly good so you could always grind that out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Okay, HOW??

Play better. :p

Seriously though, That level should take you through the forest and maya.

Shinjica

Maybe is just me but after finishing this game 2 days ago i started thinking this game has so much potential not used.

For example the enemy are really a few with different color and size and the rooms are all the same with less difference from each other.

I like this game but after 15 hours put into this game i dont really think it worth 15$

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Maybe is just me but after finishing this game 2 days ago i started thinking this game has so much potential not used.

For example the enemy are really a few with different color and size and the rooms are all the same with less difference from each other.

I like this game but after 15 hours put into this game i dont really think it worth 15$

You put 15 hours into it in a few days.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

9179645965_f92bb32580_o.gif

DeVeAn

I can get to the last 2 bosses but can't beat them. I am lvl 51. Maybe I should not have unlocked too many classes.

Brinbe

This game is really too fucking good. Easily one of my favs of 2013. Currently @ level 103 now and haven't even touched any of the bosses except the Tower. Just content to keep grinding along.

tm24

Just went from my best run being a measly 1.4k to a run with an assassin where i just wrecked the dungeon, most of the forest and some tower and walked out with 11k. Was incredible. Love this game

Beepos

I'm curious how much gold each people are averaging per run.

I'm taking the slow grinding approach with two bosses down, at lv128 - avg around 15-17k a run.

God I love this game. Make DLC, more DLC straight into my veins.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just went from my best run being a measly 1.4k to a run with an assassin where i just wrecked the dungeon, most of the forest and some tower and walked out with 11k. Was incredible. Love this game

Why aren't we frands on steam tm24!

lt519

I can't get enough of this game.

I can't beat The Land of the Darkness boss right now though. I keep getting awful awful rolls. I got very close using the Dragon class though, it takes the mages completely out of the question, but you can only take a few hits from the boss itself. I think I just need to level up a bit more? Last boss I have to beat before the final one and I'm about 7 hours in. I did waste a good hour last night trying to get a Dragon roll and it wasn't happening.

Well, frankly I am terrible at this game for some reason, but I love it and squeeze it and call it George. I'm Level 19 and really have only gotten 800 gold max in one run. But I don't care. I'm having way too much fun anyway.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
How? That's insane! Did you clear the whole game for that much?
I think I had already killed the eyeball boss but on this run I killed bosses 2-4 + final boss. At some point I picked up the Helios Blessing which I think increases gold you get. And pretty late into the run I encountered that chest game guy and guessed correctly.

I had enough money that when I won the chest game, I literally had to stand on the chest for like 2 solid minutes as an endless stream of diamonds erupted into my face.

HoosTrax

I played the game through to NG+ before finally finding out that if you're playing at 120fps/144fps, certain enemies move at hyper speed -_- (especially flail knights and paintings)

Up until now, every time I saw a flail-wielding knight, my reaction was either a) NOPE or b) run in madly button mashing and hope to not take too much damage.

As I slipped an assassin into Slayer gear for the dozenth time, I realized that customizable class loadouts would be a welcome addition to the game.

Slayer + Assassin = Dressed for Success

lt519

And there I go again, charging into the castle, forgetting to talk to the damn Architect. I wish this game forced me to talk to him.

I've done this so many damn times. "Finally a paladin with chakram roll with no annoying traits! I'll just teleport to the boss room. ::skips architect:: DAMNIT!"

TGMIII

I played the game through to NG+ before finally finding out that if you're playing at 120fps/144fps, certain enemies move at hyper speed -_- (especially flail knights and paintings)

Up until now, every time I saw a flail-wielding knight, my reaction was either a) NOPE or b) run in madly button mashing and hope to not take too much damage.

Here's a video of the difference between 60Hz/120Hz

Honestly I'm glad I played at 120Hz without knowing this. I thought the game was pretty easy at 120Hz and 60Hz looks like a walk in the park.

Overall I'm actually a little disappointed with Rogue Legacy. Most of the traits are nothing but visual effects which are cute the first time you see them but lose their charm every time after that. The traits that effect gameplay don't do so in any sort of impactful way other than vertigo, which you would never willingly pick other than to see it once, and enemies are nothing more than variants of each other. I've finished NG++, finished the upgrade tree and don't think I'll be going back to it any time soon which is a shame because I thought I was going to spend a lot more time with it. I just feel like they could have done a lot more with the rogue-like elements.

Thanks! I've queued this up :)

Should have a part 2 up either tonight or tomorrow. I will be going on vacation July 3 for a bit, but I'll resume afterwards. I am already in love with this game though. The feeling of not knowing whats going to happen, and leveling up, etc. :D

Nymerio

Here's a video of the difference between 60Hz/120Hz

Honestly I'm glad I played at 120Hz without knowing this. I thought the game was pretty easy at 120Hz and 60Hz looks like a walk in the park.

Overall I'm actually a little disappointed with Rogue Legacy. Most of the traits are nothing but visual effects which are cute the first time you see them but lose their charm every time after that. The traits that effect gameplay don't do so in any sort of impactful way other than vertigo, which you would never willingly pick other than to see it once, and enemies are nothing more than variants of each other. I've finished NG++, finished the upgrade tree and don't think I'll be going back to it any time soon which is a shame because I thought I was going to spend a lot more time with it. I just feel like they could have done a lot more with the rogue-like elements.

I'm playing 120fps too. I thought the paintings were the normal speed, but that explains why I had problems with them especially with the shooting ones.

FoxSpirit

What are you having trouble with specifically? Is the boss killing you or just getting through the trash?

The best thing to do is figure out if you are having trouble because the enemies are living too long or you aren't living long enough. If they take more than a few hits to kill, focus on your DPS stats as the faster the die the easier the situation becomes. If you are already killing enemies quickly, then bump up your defense stats a little to give yourself some more margin for error. Outside of that, pattern recognition of the mobs is your best friend.

I mainly focused on the melee DPS stats and slight armor for manor upgrades while ignoring mana and hp almost entirely for my regular playthrough. If you haven't unlocked the dragon class yet, I would avoid doing that so you don't get that into your class rotation right now.

Ninja edit: I should add that Assassin with crit upgrades is stupidly good so you could always grind that out.
I feel like that is the ONE downside in this game: if you upgrade everything simulatenously, you are really really handicapping yourself.
Monsters scale with your level which is simply every point you spent added together but if you put 10 points in everything instead of 20 points into a few selected things you scale like crap.

I really noticed that when unlocking classes before upgrading anything else and the game became harder and harder and harder.

So protip for beginners: everything into dps stats, only unlock the basic classes, then dump everything into attack, armor and health only when you feel you need it. Only unlock weight if you feel you need the new equipment though it's actually very cost effective in lvl gain vs stat gain. Forget magic. I could easily be 30 levels lower with the same stats for the paladin and just wreck the game but no, 10 points into magic points, 10 into magic damage, a point into everything to see where the skill tree goes etc etc

Slightly shoddy balancing imho.

And yeah, Hedgehogs curse is the reason I basically never pray.

garath

I feel like that is the ONE downside in this game: if you upgrade everything simulatenously, you are really really handicapping yourself.
Monsters scale with your level which is simply every point you spent added together but if you put 10 points in everything instead of 20 points into a few selected things you scale like crap.

I really noticed that when unlocking classes before upgrading anything else and the game became harder and harder and harder.

So protip for beginners: everything into dps stats, only unlock the basic classes, then dump everything into attack, armor and health only when you feel you need it. Only unlock weight if you feel you need the new equipment though it's actually very cost effective in lvl gain vs stat gain. Forget magic. I could easily be 30 levels lower with the same stats for the paladin and just wreck the game but no, 10 points into magic points, 10 into magic damage, a point into everything to see where the skill tree goes etc etc

Slightly shoddy balancing imho.

And yeah, Hedgehogs curse is the reason I basically never pray.

Yeah. I don't know what level I am but I have at least one point in everything except
dragon
. Most of my points are damage (like 5), crit % (like 5), health (around 15) and weight (7 or so). Monsters are pretty tough and even with the class reroll I don't always get the classes I want. I only really do WELL with paladin. So much health and armor and decent damage. I mow through everything. Rest of the classes I die quick.

Knocked off the first two bosses but really just grinding for more money at this point. About all I can do.

lt519

This has become a huge pain in the ass for me. I spread everything out and now it'll take 2-3 deaths before I get a decent roll with a class I usually don't even like to use. It makes trying to get a good roll for bosses a pain. And on top of that the enemies were way to strong because I spread myself so thin. I probably added 3-5 hours to the game by taking this route. I've been debating starting fresh.

This has become a huge pain in the ass for me. I spread everything out and now it'll take 2-3 deaths before I get a decent roll with a class I usually don't even like to use. It makes trying to get a good roll for bosses a pain. And on top of that the enemies were way to strong because I spread myself so thin. I probably added 3-5 hours to the game by taking this route. I've been debating starting fresh.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I wanted to see all the classes so I just kept expanding. But truth be told, there are only 2-3 classes I actually like using (Hokage, Assassin and Barbarian Mage). Definitely wish I could reallocate points.

EDIT: Oh and sometimes I like Lich King.

HoosTrax

Assassin is currently my favorite class.

It starts out as an awful class, but there's a point after enough crit upgrades where it begins to surpass Hokage for overall DPS. Plus it has higher durability.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I played this game for two hours yesterday. I like all of the trimmings, but I don't think I'm enjoying the actual gameplay (the running, jumping, attacking part). My primary enjoyment comes from spending money to upgrade things. I'll give it a few more hours and hope it grows on me a bit more.

rybrad

Finished NG++ at level 288 with 179 children and 26:10 for my time. I am a bit disappointed with NG++ (and subsequent plays) as it feels like a lazy approach to difficulty. The regular rooms are brutally difficult a lot of the time and the boss (and mini-boss) fights are stupidly easy. I think it would have been better to make the regular rooms slightly easier and the bosses MUCH harder than they are now.

All in all, I loved the game and I really hope they do an expansion at some point.

Zeth

Love this game so much. Biggest surprise of the year for me. I really, really hope it does well for them. Loved the dev easter egg things.

LProtag

I'm pretty terrible at this game. I'm hitting a wall where I can only get around 1k gold and afford about 1 upgrade each life.

Top Bottom