• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Daylight

I think I suck at this game. I'm around lvl 110 or something and I'm having the hardest time beating the last boss. Saw a guy on youtube beat him (turned it off so as to not spoil) at around lvl 32!! I guess I just gotta learn the patterns a little more and be more reactive. I'm in year 6500 or something.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, but when he starts
combining the sword wave with the flying swords
, how is anyone supposed to dodge that?

Protein

Banned
Oh my god I've never wanted a game so hard. Just reading this thread is making me crazy like that Ren and Stimpy GIF when that narrator is slapping Stimpy with his butt to tempt him to press the giant red button (in this case to purchase the game). That's actually a good idea for a Steam sale gif.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Alright, but when he starts
combining the sword wave with the flying swords
, how is anyone supposed to dodge that?

There are visible gaps in the swords rising from the floor. For the wall knives, double/triple jump and hope for the best.

garath

Well I decided. I'm starting over. Going to focus completely on damage, health and crit. Unlock assassin and spelunker and beat the game. Just sucks losing all my runes and patterns :(

Well I decided. I'm starting over. Going to focus completely on damage, health and crit. Unlock assassin and spelunker and beat the game. Just sucks losing all my runes and patterns :(
Hmm I wonder how many GAFers have started over by now? I'm trying to stick it out with my current save. Level 75 or so. Finished 3rd boss. Gonna go spelunking and level up some damage and stuff before trying 4th boss again. His patterns aren't super tough but there's just too many things to keep track of :(

Ridley327

Goddamn at johannes.

I have no idea how to dodge his stuff in his
fountain form.

Here's some good strategies for his major attacks:

Horizontal swords: mist form
Vertical swords: mist form
Floor attack: pogo off his head with crits drowning him
Normal sword swipe: back up, let him whiff, wail away with the crits

Basically, use assassin.

Therion

Hmm I wonder how many GAFers have started over by now? I'm trying to stick it out with my current save. Level 75 or so. Finished 3rd boss. Gonna go spelunking and level up some damage and stuff before trying 4th boss again. His patterns aren't super tough but there's just too many things to keep track of :(
I restarted, but it was mostly because I died at the same time I beat a boss and was annoyed that I missed out on the rewards. When I saw the issue was fixed, I went ahead and started over. It definitely makes a huge difference knowing what upgrades are most useful right from the beginning.

ArjanN

I'm pretty sure starting over isn't worth it, even if you unlock everything at first. At worst you get stalled a bit longer mid-game.

Antiwhippy

Finally! Barbarian made
The fountain
really easy actually. Just fuh roh das all of his projectiles.

Ended up with 304 generations, but I was mostly ignoring boss doors for quite awhile. Just dicking around in the castle.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Not sure I'm going to finish this game. Either going to have to grind a whole lot just to get some stats up, or keep dying and restarting to get a Barbarian to stand a chance against the last boss.

Amir0x

Banned
haha, I got someone with alzheimer's disease and then also with Eid Mem lol

what a weird set of inflictions this guy has. Awful memory (locations), but also great memory (enemies)!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Beat the last boss at level 104, now I am 130 and still trying to cope with the NG+ enemies who whoop my butt, lol.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Ok nevermind. Beat the last boss after grinding a few more dudes to level up my attack and crit.

elfinke

Finally defeated the last boss. Level 147 or so; a couple grace runes and it was easy mode. Can now shift this game into the 'played' category on Steam and move onto my backlog!

Thanks for a wonderful ~20 hours Rogue Legacy!

Afro

X-post. Here are a few custom Steam icons for Grid View [link].

Sample:

Wn8EgLb.png

Nymerio

Finally! Barbarian made
The fountain
really easy actually. Just fuh roh das all of his projectiles.

Ended up with 304 generations, but I was mostly ignoring boss doors for quite awhile. Just dicking around in the castle.

TIL: what an idiot I am. That never even came to mind. The funny thing is, I was playing yesterday and got a chest by using the shout on the fireballs.

Copenap

Finally beat the game.

Though I beat the blob boss and the final boss on my first try it took me 14h and 119 children.

Tobinishi

Couldn't resist and bought the game yesterday, even though i wanted to wait for the Steam Sale.

4 hours in and i dont regret my decision. Such a charming and addictive game. Easily worth the 14€ i paid for it.

I loved playing this game but I wish they had done a better job scaling the new game +'s. The only classes that matter in new game plus are assassin, paladin and barbarian queen/king. The others become as worthless as dragon. And at about new game +3 the regular sections become so hard that the most viable strategy is to just uncover all of the boss doors with an assassin so you can lock the castle down and rush the bosses with a paladin or barbarian.

Tobinishi

How does NG+ works? Enemies get harder, but i keep all my equipment, runes and upgrades? Or do i have to purchase everything again?

Finally got the last achievement earlier today, can finally put the game to rest for now. Hope there'll be some more content down the line in some form.

I loved playing this game but I wish they had done a better job scaling the new game +'s. The only classes that matter in new game plus are assassin, paladin and barbarian queen/king. The others become as worthless as dragon. And at about new game +3 the regular sections become so hard that the most viable strategy is to just uncover all of the boss doors with an assassin so you can lock the castle down and rush the bosses with a paladin or barbarian.

I strongly disagree with this. Spellsword (in particular) and Archmage do just fine. My first good run on NG++ was a Spellsword.

How does NG+ works? Enemies get harder, but i keep all my equipment, runes and upgrades? Or do i have to purchase everything again?

You keep everything.

What a fantastic little game. Just finished my first run through after being addicted all week. Beat the 4th and final bosses on my first try too. Feels good man. Final stats:

Lvl: 124
Children: 73
Total playtime: 11:08

Unlocked the entire manor, put 5 pts in mana & magic damage and put the rest in health, strength, weight and armor. Ran with barb / paladin / hokage when they were available.

Def would recommend it to anyone who is on the fence. Had a blast.

lt519

Just finished it, not sure I can rock NG+ just yet, gonna let it marinate for a bit. I forget the totals but I was 200+ children (no I'm not that bad I just killed my guys on purpose when I had shitty rolls when trying to beat bosses). I also farmed for quite a bit before beating the final boss so I could be leveled up for the NG+.

Daylight

Finally beat the game, 247 generations I believe. Was actually able to beat the last boss with an Assassin, lots of crits and mist a few times to dodge attacks. NG+ hath kicketh the butteth so far.

Foaloal

I strongly disagree with this. Spellsword (in particular) and Archmage do just fine. My first good run on NG++ was a Spellsword.

I LOVE Spellsword! Chakram is the best, but axe and scythe can be pretty deadly too.
Spellsword seems to be by far the highest DPS class and it's main attack is ranged to boot! I absolutely decimated all the bosses with this class from NG+ to NG+5 where I quit playing since all the skills were maxed.

I had a lot of fun with this game. I got a solid 20 hours out of it which, while it isn't a huge quantity of time, was a good quality time.

My wishlist for a RL2 would be:
-Harder boss battles (I honestly found some of the rooms of regular enemies much more challenging than any of the bosses)
-More variety in areas/enemies
-More to accomplish. Perhaps more skills to unlock, more armor, more achievements, or anything else at all
-Other modes, i.e. a speedrun mode where you could maybe choose your desired class and pick from level 1, level 100, level 200, and max level skills and then choose your NG cycle and just try to beat the whole castle in one go as fast as you can.

Considering the history of the developer that was included in the game, this was definitely quite a solid game to come from such a small team.

Although I wouldn't want to force the developers to work on projects they're not passionate about, I really do hope they get enough sales to make a RL2. It seems like with the base game engine and systems in place it wouldn't be too hard to create art for new areas/equipment, or create new genes/classes/etc.

At the very least I hope they create a little expansion pack with maybe a few more skills and a new area/boss with a few new pieces of armor or a new class/etc. I don't usually buy DLC but I definitely would for this game

SMgamer83

Ok, I think I am done with this game. Maxed out castle, every piece of gear, every rune, every achievement except the play 20 hours one, and beat the game 5+. All in 17.9 hours according to steam. Last count was 168 generations. I feel like I should just leave the game on for 2 hours to get the last achievement.

Best run was 200,000 gold and all 5 bosses in 1 run (my 3+ run).

Salsa

so this game has some input lag when playing fullscreen right? guessing v-sync?

gamepad seems more responsive in windowed

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Does this game have built-in gamepad support or do I need to assign keys and all that? If the latter, does anyone have any suggested layouts?

FloatOn

After having a pretty tough time with the giant eyeball boss, I finally beat him. I then totally crushed the forest but now the maya is kicking my ass.

It seems I'm going to have to grind out some more perks.

garath

So I ended up restarting. I was around level 80 and had only beaten the second boss. The third was just too hard for me and my damage was only up to level 4 or 5, crit % real low and the upgrades were still stupidly expensive because of the scaling.

So after the restart I unlocked assassin, spelunker, a level of increased gold and the crits. I've been putting all my points into straight damage with some crit % and a few in health.

Even my paladin can one shot most things in the castle now. I rolled through the first two bosses in little time and I've been progressing real well. I almost have as many runes as I did in my first playthrough already. Helps that I have the mechanics down better now too but I'm controlling the scaling a lot better. Next stop the third boss.

edit: first attempt I was up to around 15 hours and only through the second boss. Second attempt I'm about 2-3 hours into it. Big difference.

Antiwhippy

How do you restart?

I've finished the game but now I kinda want to redo with the knowledge of the upgrade paths.

TheExodu5

Banned
so this game has some input lag when playing fullscreen right? guessing v-sync?

gamepad seems more responsive in windowed

I was about to say it doesn't, but I've been playing it on my 120 Hz monitor. I just switched it to my 60 Hz TV and yeah the lag is pretty noticeable.

You're right, there's more input lag in fullscreen mode. Seems like maybe one added frame of lag, if I had to guess.

ArjanN

So I ended up restarting. I was around level 80 and had only beaten the second boss. The third was just too hard for me and my damage was only up to level 4 or 5, crit % real low and the upgrades were still stupidly expensive because of the scaling.

So after the restart I unlocked assassin, spelunker, a level of increased gold and the crits. I've been putting all my points into straight damage with some crit % and a few in health.

Even my paladin can one shot most things in the castle now. I rolled through the first two bosses in little time and I've been progressing real well. I almost have as many runes as I did in my first playthrough already. Helps that I have the mechanics down better now too but I'm controlling the scaling a lot better. Next stop the third boss.

edit: first attempt I was up to around 15 hours and only through the second boss. Second attempt I'm about 2-3 hours into it. Big difference.

It most likely would have been just as fast to keep going with your first game.

Top Bottom