• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Raxum

I'm pretty terrible at this game. I'm hitting a wall where I can only get around 1k gold and afford about 1 upgrade each life.

I hit that exact wall for a while and persevered, pushing my upgrades into health and damage, and now (provided I got one of the few classes I like) I can usually clear the whole castle and most of the forest. Getting somewhere between 5-10k a run. Reasonably good feeling, but sometimes I still die stupidly, or forget to change my gear for different character types. So addicted to this game, but I really should push towards the next boss instead of exploring and farming.

tm24

I'm pretty terrible at this game. I'm hitting a wall where I can only get around 1k gold and afford about 1 upgrade each life.

Theres comes a point where after hitting that wall, you scale upwards so fast you crash through that wall and the 20 behind it

Chrysalis

Anybody else encountering a bug where the knight cape doesn't give them the +15% crit bonus? When I put on the squire cape and check my stats, the bonus is there, but for the knight cape...nothing...

sophora

This game is...so addicting. It feels like I'm playing Dark/Demon's Souls again except it's a metroidvania now...so bliss. This might be my GOTY..

FoxSpirit

Focus on damage, really. And a bit of health. And just enough weight for equipment. Also upgrade gold gain if you have the chance. Don't go around randomly unlocking stuff, this will really throw off your scaling.

And yeah, Assasin is ridiculous if buffed :p

But you first need to invest a bit in base damage until you can properly scale the crit chance and just wreck house.

elfinke

Looks like they patched Tourette's into Coprolalia. Wonder why they changed just that one trait.

It might be because Tourette's is actually a much larger condition than just swearing inadvertently (encompasses a much larger range of conditions, from physical to vocal 'tics'), which is all it was in Rogue Legacy, whereas Coprolalia is exactly that.

It's also worth thinking about how your chosen character ties into the gear you're wearnig, rather than just running headlong into the castle each time. A Lich or Barbarian (or even a Paladin) with life steal equipment/runes can have remarkable lastability, allowing you to make a number of consecutive errors before it's over. Similarly a high-risk/high-reward Hoakge/Assassin with high damage gear combined with a decent castle roll can really wreck shit, so much so that you may suddenly find you have cleared the entire castle and most of the forest without breaking a sweat.

Or maybe the first room you encounter will be the very vertical one that is all spikes (up and down the walls with narrow ledges for you to land on) with those red eyes that shoot at you like a bullet hell and you die right there and then :/

Caerith

It might be because Tourette's is actually a much larger condition than just swearing inadvertently (encompasses a much larger range of conditions, from physical to vocal 'tics'), which is all it was in Rogue Legacy, whereas Coprolalia is exactly that.
Makes sense.

How does level scaling work, by the way? Besides upgrade costs increasing, what else does it entail? And how are the costs for the blacksmith and enchantress determined? I've been noticing my rune costs are skyrocketing.

I finally got the last achievement to pop. I think I'm going to take a nap...

808CBBCD808CC960DCF0CFB888470E61C06FFE5F

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I beat the fourth boss today on my first attempt. I haven't been trying to pick them over other classes, but every time I've beat a boss it's been with Hokage. I'm starting to regret putting any points into crit chance/damage.

Still absolutely loving the game. The soundtrack is really sticking with me too.

edit:

Makes sense.

How does level scaling work, by the way? Besides upgrade costs increasing, what else does it entail? And how are the costs for the blacksmith and enchantress determined? I've been noticing my rune costs are skyrocketing.

Blacksmith prices seem set by the recipe. Every rune you buy increases the cost of the next one, at least as far as I've gone. I only bought two extra beyond what I normally wear so far, seemed the price was getting crazy quick.

HoosTrax

every time I've beat a boss it's been with Hokage. I'm starting to regret putting any points into crit chance/damage.
Don't. I never use Hokage anymore (NG+2). It's so weak and underpowered compared to every other physical DPS class now, despite starting out as probably the strongest. So little survivability, and Assassin completely outclasses it in terms of damage output, especially with the right +crit dmg cape. I haven't fully upgraded yet, but my Assassin is doing about 500dmg every 2 out of 3 hits, which Hokage can't even dream of.

Spellsword seems like it has potential, as long it gets the right subweapon trait. Every hit gives you back mana, and it has fairly decent physical stats.

---

Random aside, but I saw this on the community hub -- sooo cute!

Violet_0

Banned
I didn't know there was level scaling, almost at level 90 now and the 3rd boss is kicking my ass. Going to delete the save and only unlock the assassin. I'd like to play the mages but mana depletes just way too fast

antitrop

I had no idea if I was going to like this game or not, as I'm typically not into Roguelikes, but this game is pretty special.

The soundtrack is marvelous.

SMgamer83

I'm actually amazed how many people on here are saying they were disappointed, after playing for 20+ hours. If you got that much time out of it...

I beat the main quest in 7 hours, and loved it. Balance issues are there for sure, but there are also ways around it. Pop on a few scale down runes and you're good to go.

Haunted

So with the gay trait (still don't know if it has any gameplay implications), does that mean the heirs after that are adopted? :eek:

HoosTrax

So with the gay trait (still don't know if it has any gameplay implications), does that mean the heirs after that are adopted? :eek:
That was my assumption. Otherwise the character would be bisexual, not gay, I'm assuming? Or the other alternative, which gets into Law and Order: SVU territory...

Anyways, simplest explanation is that the heir is adopted, and I just leave it at that.

---

Anyone else having trouble completing their blueprint set? Normally, the silver chests and the minibosses are almost guaranteed to drop blueprints. Now they don't seem to be dropping anymore (NG++).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Doesn't really have to be children ya know. It could be nephews and nieces.

I'm just assuming that the 2 people you don't pick are actually still part of the family tree.

Nymerio

Ok, the paintings on NG+ are really annoying. I didn't care that they were twice as fast on normal because I outgeared them pretty fast but on NG+ I think they're my number one source of deaths.

Kunan

This game might have the worst "one...more...turn..."-itis since civ. I bought it, booted it up, and suddenly it was 5 hours later and I had to yank the controller out of my own hands as a symbolic gesture.

5 of us have been playing simultaneously on mumble. It's hilarious hearing all the swearing and victory shouts as someone with vertigo manages to beat the boss that's been plaguing them.

Caerith

Nah, they probably entered a political marriage and were forced to pop out three babies regardless of their preferences.

Five

Banned
I wish this game ran better on my PC. I'll have to try the XP compatibility mode as suggested, because slowdowns and stuttering are a major disservice to what this game is.

elfinke

I wish this game ran better on my PC. I'll have to try the XP compatibility mode as suggested, because slowdowns and stuttering are a major disservice to what this game is.

Just a random thought: are you playing windowed mode, for full-screen window? In either case the game (well, the demo did) stuttered on my rig, but proper full screen it runs just fine.

Caerith

Those stat boosts you get from chests and beating bosses, are those just for that run or do they add to your legacy?

Amagon

I am also wondering if the gay trait does anything. And also, what does the headlamp do with the spelunker class?

DomZ

First time getting to Alexander in the Forest. Looked easy enough...but fuck that guy. Should be easier now expecting that.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Played the demo the other day.

Immediately bought the full version straight from the site. Just gonna finish TLOU and get into it. So pumped.

taoofjord

Played the demo more and have gotten used to the flash feel of the character's movement. Still not a fan but I ended up buying it anyway and I'm having a ton of fun. The game is seriously fantastic, my gripes aside.

Finished it! I think I may spent more time on the last two bosses today than I should have. But man, what a rush! I'll probably give this a rest for a bit before I start a New Game+ run. This game is really quite stellar.

Caerith

They are permanent. I beat it with 300+ some odd children and 21 hours playtime.
Thanks, shortly after asking I got an equip weight +5 which would have been silly if it was just temporary.

And Fah Ro Dus is awesome for grabbing chests. I was exploring the Maya and saw a chest in the middle of a bullet hell of ghosts, so I ran it, shouted, grabbed it, and ran out without a scratch. Only made 5k that run, but got 6 blueprints out of it so I can't complain.

Five

Banned
Just a random thought: are you playing windowed mode, for full-screen window? In either case the game (well, the demo did) stuttered on my rig, but proper full screen it runs just fine.
I was playing fullscreen at native screen res (1280x800) in Big Picture mode. The slowdowns were intense at times, making it truly unplayable.

I've since run the game in XP mode and with Steam minimized, and it seems to operate just fine. Few or no slowdowns to speak of.

With that said, I'm not crazy about the way that the game controls. There's a fair amount of input lag in all of the controls. The attacking is fine, since the attack is supposed to lag anyway (a la Castlevania whip), but everything else feels off. Dropping down takes a few frames to register. Walking takes a frame or two to start, and then doesn't end until the walk animation does even though you keep moving at the same speed. There's no forgiveness for jumping a frame or two after making it off the ledge, so sometimes it feels like you pressed jump in time when you didn't. The game doesn't account for downward ramps properly, so you jump off them when trying to walk down. The hit- and hurt-boxes are sloppy.

And then there's the camera, which you have no control over. That's a major faux pas for a game that asks you to jump down below so often and it's not guaranteed to always be safe. It's one thing to be surprised by a couple of goons who are going to attack you if you don't do something quick, but quite another when you land in a spike pit or in the middle of a fireball or arrow barrage. Mediocre controls and unforeseeable traps have lead me to lose lives that I don't rightly feel I should have lost.

I think there was also room in the game for better eugenics. Suppose your character has traits AAAA, then the possibilities for heirs are something like BAAA, ADAE and AAAC, where only one or two of the traits are different and everything else is inherited. Not only would that feel more cohesive (you're telling me a bald dwarf is the child of a hairy giant?) but it would give you some control over the family line.

At 110 minutes logged in the game (yes, I know -- a pittance next to most everyone else here), I'm definitely enjoying it and will continue to play. It just bums me out when I think a game has the potential to be so much more.

The movement thing bothered me a bit too, but overall everything positive is overshadowing it atm.

About the unavoidable traps. You are only a few hours into it. When you have played for a few more, you will start to recognize which rooms tend to have traps out of sight. You will also gain a few movement abilities that will allow you to deal with unforeseen traps. After all, this game is all about repetition, so there will be a few unfair deaths from time to time.

Caerith

With that said, I'm not crazy about the way that the game controls. There's a fair amount of input lag in all of the controls. The attacking is fine, since the attack is supposed to lag anyway (a la Castlevania whip), but everything else feels off. Dropping down takes a few frames to register. Walking takes a frame or two to start, and then doesn't end until the walk animation does even though you keep moving at the same speed. There's no forgiveness for jumping a frame or two after making it off the ledge, so sometimes it feels like you pressed jump in time when you didn't. The game doesn't account for downward ramps properly, so you jump off them when trying to walk down. The hit- and hurt-boxes are sloppy.
I haven't noticed any input lag, actually. Not saying it isn't there, but I've found the controls to be generally rather consistent in forcing me to be more deliberate than spammy.

And then there's the camera, which you have no control over. That's a major faux pas for a game that asks you to jump down below so often and it's not guaranteed to always be safe. It's one thing to be surprised by a couple of goons who are going to attack you if you don't do something quick, but quite another when you land in a spike pit or in the middle of a fireball or arrow barrage. Mediocre controls and unforeseeable traps have lead me to lose lives that I don't rightly feel I should have lost.
This is a deliberate choice. There's even a faerie chest room with "no jumping" and you start out at the top and have to drop down several times, all hoping to have picked the right places to drop. I haven't died from dropping onto stuff I can't see either.

I think there was also room in the game for better eugenics. Suppose your character has traits AAAA, then the possibilities for heirs are something like BAAA, ADAE and AAAC, where only one or two of the traits are different and everything else is inherited. Not only would that feel more cohesive (you're telling me a bald dwarf is the child of a hairy giant?) but it would give you some control over the family line.
True, that's not how genetics work, but everything being upside down is also not how vertigo works. I imagine they did it specifically to avoid eugenics. There are lots of games that let you play as eugenically-chosen protagonists where the only traits passed down are "baldness" and "space marine," and I think they were trying to not do that.

At 110 minutes logged in the game (yes, I know -- a pittance next to most everyone else here), I'm definitely enjoying it and will continue to play. It just bums me out when I think a game has the potential to be so much more.
I know I'm sounding like a defense force here, but I think the game is pretty much exactly how they intended it to be. Aside from the bugs, I mean.

Five

Banned
Edit: @^^
Maybe the input lag is local to certain machines. It's possible my setup still isn't ideal. I agree that movement feels deliberate, and that's an interesting trait. But it feels more like steering a boat than a car for me, and sometimes the game asks you to turn faster than you feel like you should be able to. To wit: the charonites seem to wait the exact amount of time after first being hit for you to spam the attack and then have to wait before returning, meaning you can't just keep hitting attack to catch them on the return. But some of the "bullet hell" sections are a nightmare with the movement controls.

As far as what the game was and wasn't trying to do, it's mostly a matter of taste for me. I want to like the game even more than I do, but it doesn't perfectly align with my tastes. And that's okay.

About the unavoidable traps. You are only a few hours into it. When you have played for a few more, you will start to recognize which rooms tend to have traps out of sight. You will also gain a few movement abilities that will allow you to deal with unforeseen traps. After all, this game is all about repetition, so there will be a few unfair deaths from time to time.

That makes sense. Although, I question the decision to be so cruel to beginners. If the "unfair" traps were restricted to the Maya or Underground, when you're probably going to have the extra moves, that would seem more balanced to me. This is different from putting a chest behind a wall, teasing some ability that you're eventually going to be able to get but don't have yet, because that kind of thing doesn't kill or otherwise penalize you. For example, when you're at the "no jumping" fairy challenge but don't have dash, you don't really lose anything.

I'm encouraged, though. I want to get back into the game and start learning its tells better.

Top Bottom