• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Genji

For a game that has a really nice demo I think that was a pretty silly thing to do.

Agreed, the demo is there for a reason. Game is great and obviously not for everyone, but it's not like any of the advertising, the demo, the description of the game, or the reviews are misleading. Nice customer service anyways, they refunded with no hassle.

aravuus

So if you buy the DRM free version and ask for your money back, you basically keep the DRM free version?

Not really. With digital games, afaik, you practically buy a license to play the game. He "returned" his license, so he's not allowed to play the game anymore.

antitrop

6 hours of play now and getting close to the Level 60s. Finally able to finish the entire beginning castle with little effort and getting some work done in the forest.

Love this game.

The barbarian's shout helped me out with both Ponce de Leon and the last boss. Up until the Ponce fight, I didn't even realize that it destroyed all projectiles, lol...

WHAT.

This would have been really useful information to know. I guess I'll remember it for the future.

Ridley327

I know it's a fat chance, but I wish this game would come out for the 3DS. It seems like it would be a good fit.

It gets too bullet-hell-esque to work on a screen with such a low resolution, I think. It'd make more sense for other consoles, or even the Vita.

Finalow

Try to finish it within 5 hours and get a refund.
lol, just saw that post.

btw I wanted to go for a mage run, I mean upgrading almost only mana/magic and all that stuff but so far the archmage doesn't seem too good. should I focus on another class or it can be a decent one?

Toki1776

WHAT.

This would have been really useful information to know. I guess I'll remember it for the future.

Yep, that was pretty much my reaction, too. That was when I realized I was severely under-utilizing the secondary abilities with all the classes. Still no good with the Hokage's ability, though. I personally feel that's the least versatile out of any of them (except spelunker, of course).

lol, just saw that post.

btw I wanted to go for a mage run, I mean upgrading almost only mana/magic and all that stuff but so far the archmage doesn't seem too good. should I focus on another class or it can be a decent one?

Play the spellsword instead. Arguably the best class in the game with stronger spells and stronger mana regeneration than the archmage.

Shaneus

Rogue Legacy in one mail:
1373366114-sans-titre-2.png

Sorry, but... No. Couldn't get fun out of it, and that within the first minutes. I always finish my games, but I think I've never gotten a so bad reaction over a game. Seriously, I really hated it.
Actually, I think you should edit your post to say "Linkinito in one email:". Dick move there if ever I saw one, especially when there was already a demo for you to try.

jambo

Sorry, but... No. Couldn't get fun out of it, and that within the first minutes. I always finish my games, but I think I've never gotten a so bad reaction over a game. Seriously, I really hated it.

I was on the fence, but I'm going to buy Rogue Legacy now.

Shaneus

I was on the fence, but I'm going to buy Rogue Legacy now.
Have you played the demo? Seriously, it's tiny and feels identical to the full game. But you're doing a good thing by making up for that guy who had the gall to ask for a refund after hours of playing it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It took me probably 30 tries to beat Johannes the first time. On new game + it took one try.

New game++ is no joke.

theytookourjobz

It took me probably 30 tries to beat Johannes the first time. On new game + it took one try.

New game++ is no joke.

I'm leveled to the point where I can roll through everything but the final boss without too much trouble. I've hit a wall with him though. My dodging skills just aren't good enough.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Try the demo next time.

FINALBOSS

Banned
spellsword? I didn't get that yet.
I killed the first boss, where should I go next? I'm around level 30.

You move towards the forest now (green area) aka keep going right from the castle.

And I really do like this game even though it can be frustrating at times.

I've beaten the entire game using pure melee classes and now I'm redoing the entire game again (boss 1 and 2 down) using just mage classes (mainly spellsword). Loving it a TON more.

Foaloal

I just thought I'd post some tips that worked well for me, maybe they will help some people.

If you're hitting a "wall" where you don't feel like you can live long enough to get enough gold for an upgrade, I recommend you just ignore enemies and look for chests. They show on your map if you're in the same room, so when you enter a room just check the map to see if there's a chest. If there isn't, move on to a different room. If you have spelunker unlocked you can see all the chests on the map from anywhere, so you can easily avoid rooms with no chests.

Boss door rooms are great since they have two chests, which can contain armor blueprints or decent chunks of gold. Plus there are no enemies in these rooms so you don't even have to fight your way to the chests.

Early on enemies aren't worth killing for gold, they drop like 10-30 gold if you're lucky which just isn't very much. If you can't take an enemy out without getting hit, then it probably isn't worth fighting.

Always use at least one mobility rune. You need these for a lot of the fairy chests, which are important to get. My favorite is flight, because you have full mobility in any direction. Also I find it nearly impossible to dodge some attacks without any mobility runes, so I really can't recommend you fuse them enough. I don't recommend mixing extra jumps with flight, but any other combinations will be good.

Vampire runes are better to use than blood armor, especially early game when your HP won't be upgraded much. Eventually you'll find a blueprint for
vampire armor
which is good enough to use in place of/along with the equivalent runes.

The Shinobi/Hokage is a great early game class. With the bonus to every physical attack you should be able to one shot most of the enemies in the first area or two, and once you get enough points into attack you'll be able to destroy almost all the monsters in NG.

If you're dying too easily, I recommend barbarian king/queen since they have so much HP that you can afford to take a few hits here and there.

Smash all the chairs/tables/vases/etc. you find. The gold coins will add up, and you can even find bags on money on occasion. You can also find chicken drumsticks even in random destructible objects, and they can mean the difference between dying in the next room or making it to a couple more chests.

There is a clown you can find who offers two different games that you can play for a prize (armor blueprints). The axe game seems to be basically impossible, and the dagger game will take a lot of practice, and even then is quite hard.

Spellsword exploit has been patched, the axe game really seems impossible now
If you have Spellsword/thief unlocked, you can completely clown on the clown's games. This is because when you are given the weapon for the game (axe/dagger) it becomes your main spell temporarily and using the spellsword's special ability you can throw unlimited axes/daggers, and they'll be giant which makes the game even easier. I say you can throw an unlimited number because for some reason if you use the regular spell during the clown game it will refill your MP bar.

There are sometimes secret paths through walls that will lead to a chest. You can tell if there is one nearby if your map shows the room you're in to be much larger than what you can actually access. The paths are entered through small breaks in the floor that you can jump into/fall through.

Dwarfism is a great genetic for getting chests/fairy chests. If you look closely you will sometimes see small secret paths that only a dwarf can fit through, these paths either lead to dwarf only chests/fairy chests, or shortcuts that let you bypass most of a room.
Be warned that the Dwarfs have appropriately smaller attack range, which can make fighting some enemies tough. On the flip side, they also have a smaller hitbox which can make dodging some attacks much easier.

As far as which skills to invest in, I don't really think it matters too much since they all make the game easier. If you really want max efficiency I recommend putting your points primarily into attack until it gets too expensive, then crit chance, then whatever stats you feel like you need most. Being able to oneshot the early game enemies makes things much easier, since you can hopefully kill them before they launch their attacks.

Investing in the skill that gives you 10% more gold per skill point is actually quite worth it, the extra gold adds up quickly. The one that lets you keep 6% of your current gold per skill point when entering the castle is not at all worth it in my opinion, unless you've already bought everything else.

This might be obvious to others but you can go back to the skill point allocation screen even after you're in the blacksmith/rune lady area, you just walk all the way left. I didn't personally figure this out for a long time, and I always worried about my money management on the skills screen as a result.

There is an unlockable class at the very top of the skill screen which I personally recommend you do not unlock, because it is terrible in most situations and will litter your character choices. The class sucks because it doesn't have a regular attack or regular spells, if you're wondering.

If you're on NG+2 or higher and having a hard time, use grace runes. Personally I would equip 4/5 (if you have them) and use armor with skill points to replace vampirism/mobility runes.

If you have a hard time with the "bullet hell" type attacks, Barbarian King/Queen's shout will clear the screen of all projectiles which should let you get some hits in on the offending enemy. This also works for the boss of The Maya.

That's all I can think of for now, hopefully some of that is helpful to somebody.

jambo

Have you played the demo? Seriously, it's tiny and feels identical to the full game. But you're doing a good thing by making up for that guy who had the gall to ask for a refund after hours of playing it.

I played the demo and really enjoyed it, just not heaps of extra money with saving for PAX Aus and what not.

As soon as I get paid it will be mine!

Shaneus

I played the demo and really enjoyed it, just not heaps of extra money with saving for PAX Aus and what not.

As soon as I get paid it will be mine!
Oh yeah, don't hurry and buy it... it's not going anywhere. Stick with the demo though and play the hell out of it in the meantime. Just keep in mind that you'd have to start again, there's no save transfer. But don't let that stop you from enjoying what is essentially a full game squished into a demo anyway.

Linkinito

Feeling bad about what I've done. It was really selfish, but well, indie devs need money to create games, even if not everyone like them.

So I'm gonna rebuy it, but won't play it. I'm gonna make it a prize to win at the European Speedster Assembly, which is a speedrunning marathon and collects donations for charity. Some games have prizes for people who donated more than $5 (and among these, one is chosen randomly and wins the prize). So one of the indie game speedruns will have Rogue Legacy as a prize.

garath

Overall I've had a LOT better time restarting. I've put all points into Attack damage, crit chance and a few into health. I have 2 into increased gold as well. It's huge. I net 4-5k a run and it seems like I can clear the castle and forest at will. Both castle and forest bosses down. Have easily as many runes as I did on my first playthrough already. It's been a lot better.

Next I'll just unlock hokage to make the clears quicker.

rakhir

What are the best runes to get? I'm currently equipping two dash, one jump and two gold runes.
Are the leech runes worthwile?

Stitch

Gold Member

BanGy.nz

Banned
Feeling bad about what I've done. It was really selfish, but well, indie devs need money to create games, even if not everyone like them.

So I'm gonna rebuy it, but won't play it. I'm gonna make it a prize to win at the European Speedster Assembly, which is a speedrunning marathon and collects donations for charity. Some games have prizes for people who donated more than $5 (and among these, one is chosen randomly and wins the prize). So one of the indie game speedruns will have Rogue Legacy as a prize.
That's a great idea, I applaud your decision.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I just thought I'd post some tips that worked well for me, maybe they will help some people.

Thanks for these! I'm just starting out and can't seem to get more than about 200ish coins in a run at the moment. Enjoying the game, and I'm definitely in the "need to start playing smarter" period of learning how to play, but these will help me make some good decisions early on when it comes to picking skills/teaching myself how to play better.

Ridley327

I'm going to have to try the shouts on Ponce de Leon.

Any other tips? I'm having a pretty hard time.

Do you have Assassin unlocked already? The Y special completely trivializes the hazards in that fight, and the damage you'll be dealing with crits will put him to bed pretty quickly. Hokage is another good class for him, since that Y special is also good for avoiding the hazards (though you need to be a bit more skillful with it), and his raw damage output will make short work of him, as well.

ameleco

Loved this game. Put like 30 hours into it and had to use runes to reduce the difficulty of enemies on the harder difficulties haha

aravuus

Good man, you have redeemed yourself in my eyes. I was sure you'd just stay quiet and never visit the thread again.

Finalow

WOW, I killed the second boss and I got no gold 'cause he was out of the screen with half of his body.
just fuck off game.

MrOddbird

Neo Member
This game so far has been really good!
I love the style of the game and the many interesting things that it has.

Couple of gripes: controls are a bit hard to master on a keyboard.
I don't know if someone has already said this, but double dash would be much easier to just perform with double tapping the arrow keys twice.

I think that the developers have hid a room in the game that has almost 0% chance to be build in the castle layout and contains the most awesome item in the game hidden in plain sight.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

Good on you man.

Morphis

This is great. It shows real character to admit to your mistakes. Good man.

I loved that they gave you the refund, too. Shows that they are really pro-consumer, which is refreshing nowadays. It will certainly influence my future HB buying decisions, and reading the responses in this thread I'm probably not the only one to feel that way.

lt519

New game++ is no joke.

I just got to NG++ yesterday too. This is truth. Every boss on NG+ only took one try. I can only survive 5-10 minutes on NG++ I don't think I have enough armor, my guys get wrecked.

I've maxed our Crit Chance and working on getting all the Imperial Gear so I can flatten peeps with the Assassin.

Takes guts to admit your mistake. Good stuff.

Wunder

This game so far has been really good!
I love the style of the game and the many interesting things that it has.

Couple of gripes: controls are a bit hard to master on a keyboard.
I don't know if someone has already said this, but double dash would be much easier to just perform with double tapping the arrow keys twice.

I think that the developers have hid a room in the game that has almost 0% chance to be build in the castle layout and contains the most awesome item in the game hidden in plain sight.

you def wanna play with a gamepad

I just got to NG++ yesterday as well. Hokage suddenly went from being awesome to being practically my worst class. My strength upgrade is maxed (75/75) and so are crit damage and crit chance. With my current gear, all of my classes can pretty consistently murder things faster than Hokage now just because enemies have such high hp that crits are practically required.

Oddly, Barbarian Kings/Queens are now my favorite class (I rarely used them before NG++). There are so many damn projectiles on screen at once in NG++ that the Barbarian class skill is pretty much the greatest freaking thing in the game since it destroys all projectiles that are on screen instantly.

imBask

Banned

thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif_zps2c9470cb.gif

I was about to write an angry post about you, but hey everyone makes mistake. Good job bro

Top Bottom