• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

I liked them on normal along with the runes to get pretty good hp regen. On NG+ and beyond, the downsides far outweigh the poorly scaled upsides though.

Having a really hard time with the last boss.
I think I'm level 114? I can usually beat Johann, but when I get to the fountain I don't have enough HP to survive the rest of his onslaught.

Archmage+stop time makes every bossfight superfluous.

NG++ is just unfair at some points. Getting spawned by several bullet attacks that the screen is full of them. Not liking it. But I'm trying to get the last two steam achievements. So I have to endure it.

NG++ is just unfair at some points. Getting spawned by several bullet attacks that the screen is full of them. Not liking it. But I'm trying to get the last two steam achievements. So I have to endure it.

i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn5a.png

I would recommend to everyone who feels they are pretty much done with the game, but want the last Steam achievements, that they finish the achievements while in NG+, without progressing to NG++.

garath

Tips on the darkness blob boss? Too many blobs hopping around, Even my normal paladin winner can't overcome the amount of damage I eventually sustain. Best run I had was an archmage where I spammed the bouncing spike balls and just did my best to stay away from the damage. In the end I ran out of mana though.

Chris R

Deleted my save last night and made it further in one hour than I did with all my previous attempts. Tower is nicely built up now, and Charon only takes 94% of my gold now (progress!!!) Was also able to kill the eye boss (guy was tall enough to hit it without jumping :) )

Is the Miner upgrade purely cosmetic or should I go for it the first chance I get 1800 or whatever it is?

Deleted my save last night and made it further in one hour than I did with all my previous attempts. Tower is nicely built up now, and Charon only takes 94% of my gold now (progress!!!) Was also able to kill the eye boss (guy was tall enough to hit it without jumping :) )

Is the Miner upgrade purely cosmetic or should I go for it the first chance I get 1800 or whatever it is?

The miner upgrade let's you see every chest and event on the map, though you can't see the map itself before exploring it. I thought it was worth it.

Chris R

The miner upgrade let's you see every chest and event on the map, though you can't see the map itself before exploring it. I thought it was worth it.

Ok, I thought it was just going to be a cosmetic thing. I'll have to get it when I get over 1800 gold. Picking miner every chance I get to buy gear and skills :)

Sullichin

I am really terrible at this game. I already got the achievement for dying 20 times and I haven't made it to the first boss yet. I usually die just a few rooms into the castle unless I get really lucky with some easy rooms. Don't have any runes yet. I feel like I'm not really getting any better either. I'm level 6 or 7.
I'm definitely not really understanding the point of the character traits. Are there actually moments where having IBS, being colorblind, far sighted, gay, etc give you gameplay benefits?

Very cool game, I just hope I get better at it.

shaowebb

I am really terrible at this game. I already got the achievement for dying 20 times and I haven't made it to the first boss yet. I usually die just a few rooms into the castle unless I get really lucky with some easy rooms. Don't have any runes yet. I feel like I'm not really getting any better either. I'm level 6 or 7.
I'm definitely not really understanding the point of the character traits. Are there actually moments where having IBS, being colorblind, far sighted, gay, etc give you gameplay benefits?

Very cool game, I just hope I get better at it.

Buy equipment over stats if you can unlock any. And as far as stats go early on health ,armor, and damage up go the furthest...it'll be awhile before you have classes that really need a ton of mana, lower mana cost and higher mana damage. Also once you start getting runes invest in vampirism heavily early on to heal after every kill. In addition a doublejump is amazing in this game...gives you a saving chance if you're about to fall onto something or someone that'd hurt. I find the dash puts you into trouble a lot so I prefer more vampirism over dashes.

And dont feel bad for dying...its the point. The entire leveling system is based upon getting as far as possible for the loot, dying and spending it. A good trait early on is one that adds knockback to your attacks...gives you breathing room. Also chakram you can fire while running away and it'll shoot behind you to kill things chasing you. It also hits mutliple times if you aim it to land on folks right at its maximum range before it turns.

Good luck! I'm off to try and get my last 3 achievements. Game is incredible.

Funniest moment. Herodotus, new game + , Archmage with a ton poured into mana reserves, lower mana costs, and mana damage. Conflux spam while remaining largely stationary. WIN. Insane how many spiked balls were in that room :D

shaowebb

OH GOD NO THERE IS A NEW GAME PLUS PLUS!!!!!

O_O
*first room had Graydiator, 2 plonkies and 2 of those maxed out ice wizards shooting double the normal...I lasted 3 seconds*

Piecake

Tried the demo after seeing it mentioned a few times in the best 2013 PC game, and liked it so much that i went out an bought it. Tons of fun. I thought I was getting to the point where I was kinda sick of games (felt like that for several years), but man, I guess i just needed a stripped down game that you can play whenever and is just fun throughout

Sullichin

What level should I be to take on the first boss?
I'm level 20 and not doing much damage whenever I get to it. More importantly, I died in just a couple of hits. Can't survive this boss for long. Upgrading stuff is starting to become a slow process as I don't always make enough money to keep going. I've used the architect to freeze the castle and practice against the boss, but I feel like I'm underpowered.

JakeD

I'm level 20 and not doing much damage whenever I get to it. More importantly, I died in just a couple of hits. Can't survive this boss for long. Upgrading stuff is starting to become a slow process as I don't always make enough money to keep going. I've used the architect to freeze the castle and practice against the boss, but I feel like I'm underpowered.

i didnt even attempt til level 29, but beat him easily.

Piecake

Getting the right spell helps a lot.
the Chacka and the random bouncy ball of death absolutely own him
. He isnt too bad so long as you learn his pattern. I beat him at level 20 and I hit like a wet noodle. my barb is 1/5 and my pally is 2/3. pattern is
the only hard thing to dodge is when he does the wave spray. you can easily avoid that by hopping up the two ledges and then double jumping over the boss. Ify ou dont have double jump, you can hit him with your downward sword slash

Man I am bad at this game.

I'm around level 12 and can't come any where close to beating the first boss. I've been buying/upgrading things that I thought would help, but I just get destroyed by the boss and die pretty quickly against regular enemies.

I want to love this game, as I really enjoy the concept, art style, music etc and the controls are super tight.

But I feel like I'm playing it entirely wrong.

Man I am bad at this game.

I'm around level 12 and can't come any where close to beating the first boss. I've been buying/upgrading things that I thought would help, but I just get destroyed by the boss and die pretty quickly against regular enemies.

I want to love this game, as I really enjoy the concept, art style, music etc and the controls are super tight.

But I feel like I'm playing it entirely wrong.

Didn't beat the first boss til like lvl 30+.

Keep at it. Farm tons of gold ( can be based on luck though), and find new equipment blueprints.

Also don't be afraid to lock down the castle to learn more about the boss attacks, etc.

Chris R

So does upgrading and unlocking classes I'm not interested in create new wings of the castle and open up more upgrades?

Yes, if anything just drop in at least 1 point in every skill.

2 bosses down, level 80ish right now. So many rune unlocks, where the hell is my gear though?

I'm getting a bunch of 10k+ gold runs though which is nice, If I just had better gear I bet I could take down the third boss.

Also... (kinda spoiler, but not really)
Any way to make the underworld a bit brighter? Like an item or spell or anything? It sucks not being able to see much down there when I jump in.

I played this game for 3 hours today. Level 22 now. It's really addictive. The last time I played a PC game for this long was WoW in 2006. I'm exclusively almost always a console guy. Playing this on a 55" screen lol.

EDIT: so I decided to check the gamefaqs MSG boards for this game for extra info on certain gameplay aspects. What do I see as the first topic?

"Is there any way to remove the "gay" trait from the pool?"

Oh lord. Gamefaqs really is for the lowest common denominator.

-MD-

Been playing this a lot the last couple days. Got it gifted to me during the summer sale after my buddy listened to me praise the demo but didn't get around to it until now.

It's fantastic, I'm 11 hours in and still seeing new room layouts. It could very well be the best indie game I've played thus far. More people need to pick this up.

It's 25% off on steam right now too which is a steal.

AHA-Lambda

Hey guys, I'm stuck at Ponce de Leon, got any tips for this guy?

I'm at lvl 55 and he's at lvl 52 (cos I used 2 grace runes) but I still just can't manage to get him below half health =/

jett

D-Member
I've played for several hours and barely feel like I've made any progress, although I have beaten the first boss. Weird little game. It's fun and funny, but the controls rub me the wrong way a bit and I'm not really into the whole procedurally generated level design thing. I'll keep on though.

New patch out for anyone who's playing on Steam. Only noticed by coincidence. Lots of new stuff and fixes.

A free content patch for Rogue Legacy (v1.2.0) has been released and is now available on Steam. Battle through special remixed bosses, unlock a new class, experience new traits and more! The update is currently on PC for Steam only, and will be made available through other distributors and platforms once we're confident in its stability.

For a full list of updates for this patch, read below:

Major Changes:
- Added 5 boss remixes to the game.
- Added 1 new class.
- Added 4 new traits.
- Added 28 new rooms.
- Added ability to reduce shader effect quality for people playing on slower machines.
- Added 6 new Steam achievements (Steam only).

General Fixes:
- Added a small winter effect.
- Fixed a few spelling mistakes.
- Fixed bug where you could cast spells in carnival rooms and destroy targets before the game starts.
- Fixed bug where talking to Pooyan with a spell/ability that drains mana active would result in constant mana loss.
- Fixed bug where completed chests would sometimes show incorrect objectives.
- Enemy names in the enemy HUD now have a character cap.
- Fixed bug where open chests would not be properly reflected on the minimap.
- Fixed bug where diary rooms would show an exclamation mark even if no diary entry was available.
- Fixed longstanding bug where some enemies would spawn well above or inside terrain.
- Fixed bug where the introduction cutscene would crash in very rare cases.
- Fixed bug where casting certain abilities (translocation, assassin ability, etc.) right before entering the castle would result in undesired effects.
- Fixed bug where version 1 of the last boss could not be hit when casting a certain spell.
- Mana cost for spells with no mana cost is no longer displayed.
- Fixed bug where the lineage screen was giving the wrong helmet to ancestors.
- Fixed bug where different sized characters (gigantism, dwarfism, etc.) were not being displayed properly in the credits or profile card.
- Fixed bug where player could move while the last boss door was opening.
- Fixed bug where you could crash the game if you pressed two directions at the same time in the diary entry room (only possible with keyboard).
- Diary entry rooms are now removed from the castle's generation if you have obtained all possible diary entries.

Balance Changes:
- Vampire and siphon runes now scale with NG+ level.
- Chance of gold chests to drop random stats instead of gold has been significantly increased.
- Increased visibility in dungeons to make navigation a little easier.
- Ponce De Leon logic tweaked.
- Expert Eyeball fire spread reduced from 6 to 4.
- Adv.Eyeballs fire spread reduced from 5 to 4.
- Haggle buffed. Costs less, scales slower, and max price reduction increased from 30% to 50%
- Map tweak to Barrel platform room.
- Typo fixes.
- Fixed plant miniboss sometimes spawning on ground.
- Odds of farting when having IBS lowered.
- Herodotus HP reduced slightly.
- Spelunkers Light no longer costs mana.
- Bouncy Spike auto kill logic bug fix to reduce false positives.
- Following enemies have had their HP decreased slightly to make later zones slightly easier:
-- Skel Exp.
-- Knight Exp.
-- Blob Exp.
-- B&C Exp.
-- Wizards Exp (all 3)
-- Fairy Basic, Adv. and Exp.
-- Shield Knight Exp.
-- Sword Knight Exp.
-- Wolf Exp.
-- Zombie Exp.
-- Energon Exp.
-- Plant Adv. and Exp.
-- Fireball Adv. and Exp.
-- Skel ARcher Exp.
-- Portrait Adv and Exp.
-- Starburst Exp.
-- Turret Exp.
-- Horses Adv. and Exp.
-- Mimic Exp.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
New patch out for anyone who's playing on Steam. Only noticed by coincidence. Lots of new stuff and fixes.

I've been wondering when someone would post something. I just started playing this for the first time last night. I found one of the new remix bosses. It was probably one of the most ball stomping things I've done in a VERY long time, but I was able to defeat him. VERY satisfying when he finally died.

I can't believe I hadn't played this game sooner - it's crazy fun. And apparently, I started just at the right time with a pretty beefy content patch to get me started!

JakeD

how do the "remixed" bosses affect people who never beat the game to begin with? i've only gotten to the first two bosses so far, before the update

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
how do the "remixed" bosses affect people who never beat the game to begin with? i've only gotten to the first two bosses so far, before the update

Well, I'm only level 29 or so and have only killed the first boss on my first playthrough. Once you've killed a boss, you can find statues/idols somewhere in the castle. The idol has an item that you get (an offering or something?). If you're holding that item and go back to the boss door, it will be all glowey and shiny.

Here's a video of the first fight that someone uploaded. Click me only if you want to spoil the fun! The fights are basically super hard scenarios. Your character is set with certain runes, gear, and items. Your level and the bosses level are also set - completely independent of your current progress.

JakeD

Well, I'm only level 29 or so and have only killed the first boss on my first playthrough. Once you've killed a boss, you can find statues/idols somewhere in the castle. The idol has an item that you get (an offering or something?). If you're holding that item and go back to the boss door, it will be all glowey and shiny.

Here's a video of the first fight that someone uploaded. Click me only if you want to spoil the fun! The fights are basically super hard scenarios. Your character is set with certain runes, gear, and items. Your level and the bosses level are also set - completely independent of your current progress.

cool, thanks

I had no idea about the new bosses until mentioned in the steam thread. apparently I leveld my lineage to 494 this summer, all but a few points in magic damage and all black gear. should be fun playing this again.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is the new class accessible from an existing save file? I've got just about the entire skill tree maxed out except for a whole bunch of mana points and a few HP upgrades, and there's nothing opened up for a new class yet.

Is the new class accessible from an existing save file? I've got just about the entire skill tree maxed out except for a whole bunch of mana points and a few HP upgrades, and there's nothing opened up for a new class yet.

The
Traitor
is unlocked after defeating the 4 5 remixed bosses. Speaking of the remixed bosses... they are ridiculously hard. Spent an eternity taking down the eye remix. Spending another eternity trying to kill the Ponce de Leon remix now. Good thing is, you can try them as many time as you want. Don't think I would even have bothered otherwise, which I assume is the same conclusion that the developers reached.

Done. No more.

According to Steam I had right below 15 hours of play time since the patch. Some time was spent looking for the items I needed to unlock the remixed bosses, and some time was spent afk, but most of that time was spent on the bosses themselves. Ridiculously hard, and not very enjoyable imo. While I'm left with a sense of accomplishment, I didn't have any fun battling them. Just constant annoyance. Wouldn't recommend anyone brush the dust of the game unless you really enjoy hard bosses or you have to collect the last achievements like me. Aside from not enjoying the fights themselves, one major issue that popped up is the fact that the bosses hp is not shown unless you hit them, but then it disappears very fast. This means that when you die, you don't know how much hp the bosses have left unless you hit them right before you died, or you're really good at looking at their hp every time you hit them. This means that you never feels a sense of progress. Almost always in the dark.

In order of difficulty, I'd rate the remix bosses: Alexander the IV > Ponce de Freon > The Brohannes > Neo Khidr > Astrodotus

Decado

So...in order to beat the "castle" you have to finish it in one go (die or quite you start over)? No shortcuts or anything?

So...in order to beat the "castle" you have to finish it in one go (die or quite you start over)? No shortcuts or anything?

Just have to defeat the last boss. To open the door to him (it's right at the start) you have to defeat the 4 other bosses in the castle. Defeating them once is enough. You can die as much as you want afterwards and the boss you have defeated will still be defeated and unavailable till you defeat the last boss and move on to NG+.

Pengew

If You beat a boss and do not lock down the castle does that boss return? I know it changes the map but I wasnt sure about bosses.

Top Bottom