• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

demidar

I personally played with a keyboard because I couldn't be bothered plugging in my controller. I did pretty well but it's easy to get your buttons crossed. The benefits (which I might just be imagining) are it's fast to switch directions and twitching inputs is easier. Downsides is that you might have to rearrange your keys because of keyboard rollover (can't hold certain combinations of keys like right + jump + down + attack) and your hand might cramp a bit.

Finished NG+ quite easily btw. Final boss is the easiest boss ever.

Haint

Is this game going to be part of a daily, flash, or community deal in the Summer sale? Think the La Mulana dev confirmed NO, wondering if there had been anything similar for this?

Is this game going to be part of a daily, flash, or community deal in the Summer sale? Think the La Mulana dev confirmed NO, wondering if there had been anything similar for this?

I wouldn't be surprised if it will be. I'm curious to know the same though, I was thinking of gifting a friend of mine.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

It was just released, but it had a preorder sale of $10 so I wouldn't be surprised to see a daily with it at that price.

demidar

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the demo and full game are? The demo seems surprisingly meaty.

The demo is representative of the full game, except there are a lot more upgrades, 4 areas as opposed to just 1 in the demo, more different rooms, more equipment, runes and classes, and bosses are harder. There is also New Game+ up to infinity.

Does anyone have some tips for this game? Love it so far but I'm level 27 and I'm having a hard time just making it to the first boss. Haven't even come close to killing him and it's tough to get enough money for an upgrade before dying.

Finalow

Does anyone have some tips for this game? Love it so far but I'm level 27 and I'm having a hard time just making it to the first boss. Haven't even come close to killing him and it's tough to get enough money for an upgrade before dying.
did you block the castle when you reached the boss? That way when you die you can tp to him right after you start. the first one it's pretty easy, just learn the pattern, avoid those red tears and attack him from the sides. the special abilities of the assassin or the barbarian king are pretty useful there.

did you block the castle when you reached the boss? That way when you die you can tp to him right after you start. the first one it's pretty easy, just learn the pattern, avoid those red tears and attack him from the sides. the special abilities of the assassin or the barbarian king are pretty useful there.

I'm dumb. I never even thought about using the architect like that. Thanks.

garath

Haha. I finally beat the axe game from the clown. Got a blueprint for it. Worth.

On the darkness boss. Came close to beating him. Couple more tries hopefully.

Double

Probably better off here than in the Steam thread:

Currently trying the Rogue Legacy Demo, and what might be a deal-breaker to me is the fairly inaccurate control I'm having with the 360 controller, in that my guy keeps walking a bit further when I actually already stopped pushing the stick in that direction (don't tell me to use the d-pad plz :p). Maybe it's better in the full version? It's a bit like walking on ice constantly, can't have such a flaw in such a hard game :(

What's your guys experience? I just tried and found I can't play this with keyboard at all either.

Problem seems to be that my guy is moving righ/left even when my stick is almost in upper position :/

Li Kao

Just bought the game yesterday, couldn't justify waiting more for a better steam discount as the game is fairly new and good. But god am I having a hard time with controllers in this. Two x360 pads and more or less the same, the analog controls are too sensitive and I keep facing right when I want to face left for example. The game is so good that I looked into plugging my DS3 on the PC and... same shit, unfortunately.

Well now with the DS3 I have a semi-decent dpad and the game feels better. But still, I would have liked to use analog controls.

Double

Fear not brother, as you are not alone, lol.

edit: ok, I made some research!

According to this post, there are deadzone options for the controls, I guess that would be fixing my problems... now to buy it or not ;P

Exuro

After having a blast with the demo I waited for amazon to put it on sale so I could use my credit, but they didn't put the steam version on sale. ;_;

I hope it's a mistake. I'm antsy to play more.

For those having controller difficulties, I personally have been using the Wii Classic Controller Pro as my gamepad for the game (dat superior d-pad!) and I've had no problems at all with the controls. If you have a CC Pro, I suggest you look into configuring it with your pc since it's pretty quick and easy to get it running. If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm and I can send you the glovePIE script I made for the game.

After having a blast with the demo I waited for amazon to put it on sale so I could use my credit, but they didn't put the steam version on sale. ;_;

I hope it's a mistake. I'm antsy to play more.

Same, waiting for the Steam version to be discounted.

qazqaNii

Finished the game with a ps3 controller, really nice game, took me 12x levels before I could kill the last boss, the 2nd boss (skele head?) and the blob shit was the hardest.

Last boss I rolled a Hokage with the Time freeze which made it easy peasy.

Same, waiting for the Steam version to be discounted.

Steam version is 20% off right now for the summer sale and it doesn't look like it'll go any cheaper. If you wanna wait until we know what the final Flash/Community Choice deals are I guess you should wait, but don't miss out on the 20% if you're considering buying the game.

Double

For those having controller difficulties, I personally have been using the Wii Classic Controller Pro as my gamepad for the game (dat superior d-pad!) and I've had no problems at all with the controls. If you have a CC Pro, I suggest you look into configuring it with your pc since it's pretty quick and easy to get it running. If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm and I can send you the glovePIE script I made for the game.
I went on and bought it and the deadzone option really fixed all problems with the 360 controller :)

I actually do have a CC Pro though and would be interested on trying it out anyways. Getting a PM ready for you^^

One question on the game, are there set bonuses for e.g. wearing a complete 4 parts knight outfit? Doesn't seem like it to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It would be more like Dark Souls if player skill and ability to learn enemy attacks actually played a larger role than stats and loot. I don't feel it does in this game, but I've also spent dramatically less time playing it than the Souls games, so maybe that's not entirely fair.

I beat the first and second boss (the one in the forest) and haven't played since. Maybe someday, but I just realized I wasn't having a ton of fun, and had no desire to explore the Maya or the underground dungeon area from what little I experienced of them.

H2Yo

I'm like level 54 at the moment and still haven't killed a single boss. I just can't do enough damage. I love the game though, it's pretty amazing.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up the game during the sale and I must say it feels like a 2D Dark souls in a sense.

Dark Souls is the everygame apparently.

Anyhow I finally beat it at 11 hours and 135 deaths at level 109ish. Turned out I needed a gigantic to make it through the final boss. You can really wail on the boss way out of range of his short range attacks with a gigantic and I guess I just lucked out with him never doing the horizontal swords attack, only the more easily avoidable vertical attacks (not that he lived long enough to have many attacks in the first place, thanks to the huge attack range).

Feel like I should have beaten it quicker somehow, but I'm not too dissatisfied with that time. Really great game.

Oh and don't worry if you feel like you're taking a long time to kill the first boss. I found things going much quicker after i jumped the hurdle of the first boss.

Mupod

quick question - does blood gear decrease a Lich's maximum possible hp?

I want to bring a crow storm lich to fight the fourth boss but every time I get one, I end up falling behind on my hp/mp and get screwed over before ever fighting the boss.

the funny thing is it seems like every time I try to come up with some kind of fancy strategy for a boss, I end up beating it with a paladin on a random throwaway run anyways.

Wunder

quick question - does blood gear decrease a Lich's maximum possible hp?

I want to bring a crow storm lich to fight the fourth boss but every time I get one, I end up falling behind on my hp/mp and get screwed over before ever fighting the boss.

the funny thing is it seems like every time I try to come up with some kind of fancy strategy for a boss, I end up beating it with a paladin on a random throwaway run anyways.

paladin is best class

Finalow

hokage, paladin and bk are the best ones. assassin too but I think you need to max the crit chance for that.
lich is pretty bad, the only thing I found useful is that magic that can hit every enemy in the screen, useful in getting some fairy chests. classic "kill all the enemies in this room" but you can't reach them.

Wunder

hokage, paladin and bk are the best ones. assassin too but I think you need to max the crit chance for that.
lich is pretty bad, the only thing I found useful is that magic that can hit every enemy in the screen, useful in getting some fairy chests. classic "kill all the enemies in this room" but you can't reach them.

I personally find Archmage to be the worst, never had a good run with one.

Auskeek

I personally find Archmage to be the worst, never had a good run with one.

Same with me, especially once you get the Spell Sword which gives you MP on every hit, Archmage doesn't seem to have any good use.

I'm so close to finishing this game, probably invested well over 10 hours into it Reminds me a lot of the game 10 000 000 (10 million) on iOS in terms of the progression.

Edit: Yahoo, finally did it! 116 kids and 12:38 hours... Yep, I should probably stop now. No more replays.

Wunder

The archmage destroys bosses once you get your mp up.

really? how do you figure? Spellsword is the magic-based class I've had the most success with in terms of bosses just because empowered Flame Barrier/Blade Wall/Anything seems to do great and I can regen my mana pool by whacking the boss a few times. Archmage seems OK for some bosses with loads of enemies, but there's more than one boss that just is One Big Due and I don't see how multiple spells could really help.

isual

his fault was that he shouldn't have even bothered posting his 'refund' email .

what a fool . now he has shame .

shiettt

Dizzy

Banned
Finally beat the game last night.
Beat Jo really easy but had to level up a little bit more for that fountain. Came back and slaughtered him though.
. The enemies in NG+ in the castle are a little harder it seems than the enemies in the darkness at the end of the previous playthrough.

really? how do you figure? Spellsword is the magic-based class I've had the most success with in terms of bosses just because empowered Flame Barrier/Blade Wall/Anything seems to do great and I can regen my mana pool by whacking the boss a few times. Archmage seems OK for some bosses with loads of enemies, but there's more than one boss that just is One Big Due and I don't see how multiple spells could really help.

Boss spoiler
The fourth boss especially can be beaten by timestop before it even gets to move. Others too but it is overkill.

Mrbob

Just made it to NewGame++.

Had a heck of a fun run with the game, but I think I'm done. NewGame++ is way too tough.

Can't wait for the sequel.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How do you guys feel about the Blood equipment? I love getting HP restored, but each piece takes about -30 of you HP total.. :S

scurker

Having a really hard time with the last boss.
I think I'm level 114? I can usually beat Johann, but when I get to the fountain I don't have enough HP to survive the rest of his onslaught.

I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much freely roam through the castle and earn 10-15k gold a run before I die. Do I need to level up some more?

Santiako

Having a really hard time with the last boss.
I think I'm level 114? I can usually beat Johann, but when I get to the fountain I don't have enough HP to survive the rest of his onslaught.

I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much freely roam through the castle and earn 10-15k gold a run before I die. Do I need to level up some more?

You can pogo-stick the Fountain's head to death quite easily, that's what I did.

Top Bottom