• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

If You beat a boss and do not lock down the castle does that boss return? I know it changes the map but I wasnt sure about bosses.

No. The bosses will not be available again. Not until you beat the final boss and progress to NG+. The remixed bosses will be permanently available after you acquired and died with their corresponding item, and delivered it to Charon (the fucker who takes most of your money before entering the castle).

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Beat the game last night. Playing new game + at the moment. It's been an enjoyable experience until Neo Khidr.

Fuck this boss. Been at this for 2 hours....and I feel like I'm making no progress.

Bashing my head in with a hammer would be more enjoyable.

Now that I'm done venting. Let me see if I can sink another 2 hours into not beating this boss. :(

Celegus

Beat the game last night. Playing new game + at the moment. It's been an enjoyable experience until Neo Khidr.

Fuck this boss. Been at this for 2 hours....and I feel like I'm making no progress.

Bashing my head in with a hammer would be more enjoyable.

Now that I'm done venting. Let me see if I can sink another 2 hours into not beating this boss. :(

Isn't Neo Khidr the optional remix boss? For those ones, it just gives you a set character right? So grinding wouldn't help. I haven't really messed with those yet, but it seemed super hard.

I found NG+ to be a breeze, beat all 5 bosses on my first try. Assassin is just too good! Can't stop playing the game though, so NG++ it is!

Celegus

Still can't figure out some of these green chests though. It'll occasionally ask me to do certain things (clear room, but enemies blocked off behind wall) that I simply cannot do.

For many of the fairy chests, you'll need a specific rune/trait/spell in order to clear it. There are plenty of "easy" ones out there that don't require a specific loadout too, just clear the room or something. I'm a big fan of the "No Looking!" chest because I always have a dash rune on (just back dash past it).

Celegus

Nah, you can't leave the castle and come back - once you're in, you're in. The vampire runes were a great help early on, because yeah, the HP penalties on the equipment are just too much. I don't remember ever getting hit by projectiles before I had a chance to register there was something coming, but I do often find myself peeking in a room and backing out if there's something flying at my face. Sometimes taking a hit is pretty much unavoidable (invulnerable time up is one of the best upgrades) so you just have to learn when to run away and when to charge in and take your bumps.

I took out Neo Khidr last night on my NG++ run - I just can't stop playing this game. Everything about it just feels so good, the controls are an absolute dream.

Celegus

I've only used the Spellsword and Archmage a handful of times. I very very very rarely ever use the spells, pretty much only for bosses (or fairy chest rooms). But coming from the guy who has a Platinum trophy in Demon's/Dark Souls and have never used a magic spell, that's hardly a surprise. Just not my thing, so I'm a huge fan of the Assassin for massive crits. Barbarian is nice since they're so tanky, especially with a bunch of retaliation runes/gear on.

Celegus

Neo Alexander was a real piece of work. It probably took me over 100 tries, but I actually found it surprisingly fun the whole time. I only used the shadow jump as a last resort because you don't know what's going to be there when you teleport, and mostly stuck with the Hokage teleport or just running into the spikes if I got cornered (since they do far less damage). I did find that it helped to run off every now and again to take care of the white skulls and heal up a bit.

Still, that was by far the hardest fight in the game. I like the premise of it since it forces you to use abilities you don't often use elsewhere, but the balance should have been tweaked a little more in your favor. I'm hoping they ease it up a tiny bit for the PS4 version, but I'll tough it out again if need be. This game is just too good.

pretty new to the game first character about level 56. i have been making rounds in the garden area. Locked the castle down and on my second attempt i accidentally killed him. I quickly quit the game but it saved and i never picked up the stat bonuses. I think i might start over.

Celegus

I think this is the first Steam game I've actually 100%'d the achievements. And I probably will again on the PS4 version..

9NQFvOK.jpg

Definitely one of my favorite games of last year, took me completely by surprise (just grabbed it during the holiday sale)

mclem

Started this yesterday. Like it, but rubbish at it.

One odd thing I've noticed: When I had a Nostalgic PC, the game seemed to run noticeably faster, which (I'd imagine) is not an intended behaviour. Any idea what might be going on there?

Edit: Further discovery: I get the same effect by alt-tabbing then going straight back in - the game runs significantly smoother after doing that. Odd. Have to do it for each new character, as far as I can tell.

Jintor

22 hours and still stuck in the fucking attic

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk this gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

*boots it up again anyway*

Picked this up on sale from humble and I love it. Its got the procedurally generated replayability I love from spelunky but with a little more sense of progression.

Celegus

Picked this up on sale from humble and I love it. Its got the procedurally generated replayability I love from spelunky but with a little more sense of progression.

Glad to hear it! Considering how much people love Spelunky (myself included), I'm surprised Rogue Legacy hasn't had much of a following on GAF. One of my favorites from last year (though Spelunky was GotY).

Drewsky

I just bought this. Is it way better to play with a controller? I suck ass which is expected for a game like this at start, but I just wondered if a controller helps a ton.

Celegus

I just bought this. Is it way better to play with a controller? I suck ass which is expected for a game like this at start, but I just wondered if a controller helps a ton.

Yes, this was actually the game that finally made me buy a 360 controller for my PC and it was very much worth it. It's infinitely better with a controller.

KalBalboa

Banned
A trailer just went live on PS's YouTube channel with a description that says the game is now live with cross-save and cross-buy.

When's this due for arrival on PlayStation?

Celegus

A trailer just went live on PS's YouTube channel with a description that says the game is now live with cross-save and cross-buy.

When's this due for arrival on PlayStation?

What really? I've been wondering when it's coming for a while, thought it was forgotten about. Is it just a straight port or anything extra?

lt519

So who's pumped for this tonight? Me!!!! What time will it go up on the PSN store for the Vita? I pre-ordered on PS4 so I'm hoping it's seamless just downloading it to the Vita.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I never beat this, but I did beat the giant bonus eyeball boss. Took a while, but man it felt good when I did it. I want to play this in bed...My Vita is ready. I will be buying this over Dragon's Crown this week.

Kawika

Went to order the game before midnight PST. But when I tried the discount had been removed. So much for me buying it 2x. You know its one thing to offer a discount for pre-ordering its another to remove the pre-order because you launched it early. I call BS.

I just finished a 9 hour session of this on PS4. It's still every bit as fun and addictive as I remember. I could not get up for the entirety of the 9 hours, not even for piss breaks. For the record, I also have like 80+ hours on the PC version from when it originally came out.

They've added a lot since I last played, it seems. The super versions of bosses weren't there on the pc version when I was playing. They're a lot of fun.

Here's me beating the super versions of the first and second bosses:

Neo Khidr

Alexander the IV

They each seem to be giving 1/4th of a medallion. Not sure what the full medallion will unlock and I don't want to spoil the surprise for myself by looking it up. Gonna try it out on my Vita now.

Celegus

I just finished a 9 hour session of this on PS4. It's still every bit as fun and addictive as I remember. I could not get up for the entirety of the 9 hours, not even for piss breaks.

The game is awesome and all but... yowch, my stomach/bladder/legs/butt hurt just thinking about that.

You already beat the two hardest neo bosses, the rest should be a cakewalk for you.

BashNasty

Loved Rogue Legacy on the PC, put a good number of hours into it.

Thinking about picking this up on PS4, but I'm on the fence. The new versions of bosses sound cool, anyone know if they've added other new features?

The game is awesome and all but... yowch, my stomach/bladder/legs/butt hurt just thinking about that.

You already beat the two hardest neo bosses, the rest should be a cakewalk for you.

Really? Aww. Was really looking forward to Neo Ponce.

And I have a very, very comfortable chair.
Doesn't help my bladder though, lol

Alright, back with vita impressions. It's every bit as smooth as the PS4 version and the controls are very tight, especially with the Vita's amazing d-pad.

The only issue is that visually it's literally just the PS4 version scaled to fit to the vita screen.

This is a problem because the text is SOGODDAMNTINY. It's legible, but I have to strain a bit since my eyesight isn't the best. Would've liked some font size options.

Other than that, perfect. Cross save is working really smoothly as well.

You were totally right, Celegus, Neo Ponce was way easier than Neo Alexander. I still think Neo Khidr has been the easiest, though. Going by kill times alone, Neo Khidr was a 1 minute kill, and then the other two have been 3 minutes each.

Ponce de Freon

I don't have access to the 4th boss yet since I haven't done the regular version.

Edit:

So PSN apparently keeps track of how many times each boss has been killed worldwide.

The damn 1.75 firmware update knocked me offline for part of my play session so I don't have that stat for my Alexander the IV kill, which sucks because it's the one I was most curious about.

Kinsei

Banned
Alexander is kicking my ass. Neo Khidr was a cake walk compared to this guy. The fight eventually gets to the point where there are too many furies shooting all at once, making it almost impossible to hit the boss. I managed to get him down to less than a quarter of his health using conflux, but I ended up running out of MP. Any tips for this guy?

EDIT: Never mind, I managed to get him. I didn't know the barbarian shout would also knock back the furies. Once I figured that out the boss wasn't too tough.

I am not looking forward to the harder version of him.

Alexander is kicking my ass. Neo Khidr was a cake walk compared to this guy. The fight eventually gets to the point where there are too many furies shooting all at once, making it almost impossible to hit the boss. I managed to get him down to less than a quarter of his health using conflux, but I ended up running out of MP. Any tips for this guy?

EDIT: Never mind, I managed to get him. I didn't know the barbarian shout would also knock back the furies. Once I figured that out the boss wasn't too tough.

I am not looking forward to the harder version of him.

Neo Alexander is definitely the hardest, in my opinion, though I still haven't found the coin to fight Neo Herodotus yet. Grr.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
This game is fucking phenomenal, it's not getting anywhere near the attention it deserves. Someone should make another thread pointing that out. With any luck one of the million threads dedicated to framerates would disappear.

Celegus

This game is fucking phenomenal, it's not getting anywhere near the attention it deserves. Someone should make another thread pointing that out. With any luck one of the million threads dedicated to framerates would disappear.
I fully support this idea!

Celegus

Christ, I just saw the indie hate thread. People don't like pixel art?

PS+ thread is kind of imploding as well. I don't get it. Last year all the talk was how Sony killed it by getting all that indie support, and now I just keep running threads bashing indie games for no reason. Hopefully it's just a case of silent majority, vocal minority.

Finally beat the first boss.

However, has anyone else got cross save problems ? I play on PS4, get to lvl 20. Save, synch, then open vita, import save, i'm level 14....

Tires it many times : each times bug.

Kinsei

Banned
Oh man, Ponce de Leon was awesome, too bad he went down super quickly with my new sword. I got lucky and found a NG+ sword in a secret room, and now I'm even one-shotting things down in The Darkness.

Finally beat the first boss.

However, has anyone else got cross save problems ? I play on PS4, get to lvl 20. Save, synch, then open vita, import save, i'm level 14....

Tires it many times : each times bug.

I noticed the cross save won't register until you enter the castle with a new character.

Top Bottom