• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Finally beat the first boss.

However, has anyone else got cross save problems ? I play on PS4, get to lvl 20. Save, synch, then open vita, import save, i'm level 14....

Tires it many times : each times bug.

You may not be reading the cross save prompt properly. It's confusing and stupid, but you need to pick "NO" if you're going from one console to the other.

Edit: I decided to take a screenshot because it's easier to understand:

LClDChq.jpg

Read it carefully. If you just finished a session on PS4 and are trying to move to Vita, you need to pick NO here so that your Vita will download your PS4 file.

You also have to do this when you're moving from Vita to PS4 and you also have to pick NO there, as well since the prompt is worded exactly the same. It's actually worse going from Vita to PS4 because on the PS4 prompt the cursor is defaulted to "YES", so make sure you're not just mashing buttons to get through the prompt.

Calcium

Banned
I am loving the hell out of this game. I'm pretty terrible at it, but I love it still. I can't help but just do one more run through after I die and then I end up playing for hours. I've put in about 13 hours so far and I'll be starting NG+ tomorrow. I had a run of about 13 useless children options while attempting to down the last boss. A spelunker doesn't have a chance in hell at defeating a boss in my hands.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Loving it. This is going to occupy far too much of my time.

Quitting out of the PS3 version with the XMB crashes my system however. That's annoying.

23qwerty

So is it just me or does it look like the Vita version is scaled down improperly? Almost like it's to a slightly incorrect aspect ratio.

legbone

wow, what an amazing game. now i know what everyone was raving about on pc (last year or year before, can't remember). this game has one of the most serious cases of "just one more try" that i have ever encountered. i am so bad at it though. i have sunk about 12 hours into it and i just beat the "first" boss. now i'm in the forest and i feel just like i did at the start of the castle. most upgrades i need are about 1000 bucks. i'm lucky to get 600 with a run. i seriously suck at this game and hope i get better with practice because i really want to finish it.

Celegus

wow, what an amazing game. now i know what everyone was raving about on pc (last year or year before, can't remember). this game has one of the most serious cases of "just one more try" that i have ever encountered. i am so bad at it though. i have sunk about 12 hours into it and i just beat the "first" boss. now i'm in the forest and i feel just like i did at the start of the castle. most upgrades i need are about 1000 bucks. i'm lucky to get 600 with a run. i seriously suck at this game and hope i get better with practice because i really want to finish it.

Best advice I can think of is to just take your time as you're exploring. Try to learn enemy patterns, and when it's safe to approach. Don't feel like you have to defeat every enemy - some are just not worth the risk of getting hit, so just run past them if need be. I found keeping one dash run to be extremely useful (much more than double jump or float), so definitely use that and know exactly how far a dash will take you. Healing runes can be pretty nice as well, since you never want to start a boss fight with low health.

taybul

Does anyone feel like the majority of the secret/hidden areas require you to be a dwarf? There's nothing else you can't access as a dwarf so I don't see why the game favors them for secrets.

Celegus

Does anyone feel like the majority of the secret/hidden areas require you to be a dwarf? There's nothing else you can't access as a dwarf so I don't see why the game favors them for secrets.

I thought the secrets/fairy chests were distributed pretty evenly. Some for dwarf, some for class abilities, some for runes (floating or multiple jumps). If you can't reach one, no big deal as there will always be more and there's not much you can do about it.

I've had this game on the PC since shortly after it came out, but it never 'clicked' for me. I mean, I got the appeal and thought it was super charming - but I never took down the first boss, and it just never got it's hooks into me.

I ended up double dipping on Rogue Legacy for the PS4/Vita kind of randomly - thinking it'd be fun to play again and was cheap considering I'd be able to play it on both systems. I didn't expect it to be this version that finally got me hooked.

I'm still not super far - only taken down the first boss and made several attempts through the forest - but I am have a blast. Something about this incarnation made more sense in terms of how to approach the game. Worry less about locking down the castle and more about making each run count - either working on a boss, getting a chest, or just getting a ton of cash. When I run into a bunch of fairy chests I know I could get with a different setup, lock the castle, get those, move on.

This is also the first game I've played with Cross-Save and, despite the poor wording on the prompts, it's kind of magical when you get it up and running. Played on the Vita on the way to and from work - then put in some hours on the PS4 - synced and played another few rounds in bed.

Super super fun game!

legbone

thanks for the tips celegus. i'm going to keep at it. i figure i've just plateaued and i will eventually start seeing some improvement again. that's usually the way it goes.

Celegus

thanks for the tips celegus. i'm going to keep at it. i figure i've just plateaued and i will eventually start seeing some improvement again. that's usually the way it goes.

That's one of the nice things about Rogue Legacy compared to other roguelikes - not only are you making skill progress by learning how to deal with new situations, but also stat progress where you could in theory just keep banging your head against the wall until your numbers are high enough (but that's obviously not recommended). But at least it always feels like you're making some kind of progress, aside from the disastrous runs.

nynt9

I'm around level 57 and I've only beaten the first boss and am having a hard time with the new areas. Am I doing something wrong? I've unlocked classes and spent the rest of my points mostly on armor and damage. Lich, Hokage and Spellsword are awesome. My armor is the knight set with double jump, dash, vampire and gold collection runes.

Calcium

Banned
I'm around level 57 and I've only beaten the first boss and am having a hard time with the new areas. Am I doing something wrong? I've unlocked classes and spent the rest of my points mostly on armor and damage. Lich, Hokage and Spellsword are awesome. My armor is the knight set with double jump, dash, vampire and gold collection runes.

Nah, you're fine. Just keep progressing through as much of the castle as you can with every life and eventually you'll out level what you are fighting and the upgrades you unlock along the way will help tremendously.

Celegus

Technically you can go wherever you want, but the
Forest
is definitely the next place to go in terms of difficulty. Entirely new set of enemies though, so it'll take a few lives to learn how they operate and what you can get away with.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That's one of the nice things about Rogue Legacy compared to other roguelikes - not only are you making skill progress by learning how to deal with new situations, but also stat progress where you could in theory just keep banging your head against the wall until your numbers are high enough (but that's obviously not recommended). But at least it always feels like you're making some kind of progress, aside from the disastrous runs.

Yeah, that combination is really fucking good. Makes it so much better to me than Spelunky, which could just get frustrating (especially because I think sometimes the generated maps are just downright unfair). It amps the addiction factor up massively.

I'm at lvl 89 or so. Can't wait to get off work and dive back in. This is my Terraria of 2014.

Celegus

Yeah, that combination is really fucking good. Makes it so much better to me than Spelunky, which could just get frustrating (especially because I think sometimes the generated maps are just downright unfair). It amps the addiction factor up massively.

I'm at lvl 89 or so. Can't wait to get off work and dive back in. This is my Terraria of 2014.

Once in a great while this is true (like a croc telefragging you immediately as a level starts), but for the most part I'd say almost every run of Spelunky is doable at least through Olmec. I think Binding of Isaac can be more frustrating with its RNG since it's so item dependent, but each design has its merit. I'm glad they're all doing something different!

Maybesew

I'm emberassed to ask this question as I've already beat this game on PC last yaer, but when you get a blessing in your second spell slot, like hedgehog curse, etc, how do you use it?

taybul

I'm level 60 and have beaten the second boss. What I've been doing is focusing on using Vampirism items. Otherwise I've just been distributing my points pretty evenly across the board and equip double jump and health runes. I tend to pick the assassin class the most. Definitely try to grab fairy chests whenever you can.

Grinchy

Banned
I love this game. I have beaten the first boss so far and I'm trying to make progress into the Forest more consistently. I'm around lvl 35 or so. Having this on PS4 and Vita is so perfect. It uploads to the cloud so effortlessly. I can just take my Vita to bed with me and I'm right where I left off.

The only complaint so far is that it the option for enabling the quick drop has to be changed every single time I play. It must be some kind of bug.

Celegus

I'm emberassed to ask this question as I've already beat this game on PC last yaer, but when you get a blessing in your second spell slot, like hedgehog curse, etc, how do you use it?

The ones that don't actually replace your active skill are passive, such as the Hedgehog that just makes you drop gold when you get hit. As far as I know, the Archmage or whichever class is the only one that can toggle between skills. But this is coming from someone who beat the game without using skills at all really.

Nixonomics

Wow. The Neo Khdir fight is incredible - the battle music is so catchy (when I survived long enough to hear it). I think it is one of the best boss battles...ever. Yeah.

Loving it. This is going to occupy far too much of my time.

Quitting out of the PS3 version with the XMB crashes my system however. That's annoying.

I had the same problem, so i deleted the game and downloaded it from the history again. No more problems.

Just have fun and don't get frustrated when you die. It'll happen. A lot.

Try to beat the first boss. Then do only Castle runs for like 60 levels. 2-4k money/run. Upgrade health defense and attack. works for me.

Be thankful for death. It actually helps you out. Don't invest in the money recovery skills. It's a waste. I wish I could respec.

Thank you!

This is my first experience with a roguelike and I've really enjoyed it so far. Finished it around half an hour ago, with a time of 13 hours and two minutes.

It didn't grab me initially but soon the grind became addictive. Not sure I've got it in me to carry on but I'd recommend it to anyone looking to dip their toe in to the genre.

The beginning is brutal but persevere.

On a side note, I really enjoyed reading the journal entries which not only gave the game a bit of colour but actually gave you helpful tips for progressing.

Surge

So awesome, so hard, but yet very addicting so far.

Last night it was "ok one run more before I'm done for the night"...ended up turning into about 2 more hours worth of playing instead.

seabass0

Guys...Alexander IV.

I'm 33 years old and this might be the hardest gaming challenge I've ever had. I beat the other 3 remix bosses but this is just...I...can't...

I've probably logged like 150 attempts. Tell me there's light at the end of this dark dark tunnel.

Guys...Alexander IV.

I'm 33 years old and this might be the hardest gaming challenge I've ever had. I beat the other 3 remix bosses but this is just...I...can't...

I've probably logged like 150 attempts. Tell me there's light at the end of this dark dark tunnel.

Just saw youtube footage of him. It looks insane!

Celegus

Guys...Alexander IV.

It's probably one of the most challenging things I've ever done as well, but it sure feels good when you finally do it! Are you getting close at least?

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
Guys...Alexander IV.

I had more trouble with freon motherfucker.

seabass0

It's probably one of the most challenging things I've ever done as well, but it sure feels good when you finally do it! Are you getting close at least?

I've gotten him down to 1,000HP (he starts with 13,000). But then there are times where I only get him to like 70%.

I keep reading stuff and flip-flopping strategies, which I think is part of my problem. I just need to commit to one strategy and lock myself in dark room with my Vita for several hours.

EDIT: AAAH, just got him to 754 health...This is taking years off my life.

Celegus

I'm not sure what other strategies said since I did the whole game on my own, but I think the main thing is to not get greedy. Just get a hit or two in and then switch sides again, sometimes the angle might be bad and you won't get any hits that pass. And I only used the decoy teleport as an emergency oh-god-i'm-trapped button, just stuck with dashing back and forth mainly.

seabass0

I'm not sure what other strategies said since I did the whole game on my own, but I think the main thing is to not get greedy. Just get a hit or two in and then switch sides again, sometimes the angle might be bad and you won't get any hits that pass. And I only used the decoy teleport as an emergency oh-god-i'm-trapped button, just stuck with dashing back and forth mainly.

That's definitely the strategy I've had the most success with. And I think I need to take a break from it for like a day and just come back to it. I lose my patience and then get greedy.

Top Bottom