• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Any tips for the final boss? I have been really close with a dagger spellsword a few times, but outside of that exact loadout, I am unsure what else is recommended to take it on?

I have gotten really good at miner and spelunker though. had a run with 18k gold. very profitable...

This game is one hell of an addictive grind. I read a few basic guides that helped put me in the right mindset after getting to about Lv 17 and feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere. (One of the big lessons was that the shield actually acts as an invincibility power.) Last night I gained some more consistency and did several 1000+ gold runs in a row. Still haven't beaten any bosses or gone more than a few rooms into the other three areas but I feel like I'm making progress....

Is there a way to tell how many generations I've gone through? Something equivalent to Spelunky's death counter?

Each character advances the year by 20 IIRC, but I don't remember what the starting year is.
Thanks. I could go back and count the past portraits at the child selection menu but that's crazy tedious. I know it gives you a count when you beat the game but it would be nice to have a running count.

Nixonomics

Thanks. I could go back and count the past portraits at the child selection menu but that's crazy tedious. I know it gives you a count when you beat the game but it would be nice to have a running count.

If you're playing on a Vita, you can view your "activity feed" by scrolling down on the games launch screen (or if you're in game you press the PS button and scroll down). It lists a whole load of interesting stats (like how many generations it took you to beat the last boss). It isn't perfect - and I really wish this was added as a stat page in game - but it'll help you get a feel for how you're progressing.

I don't know about PS4, but I'm fairly certain the PS3 doesn't interact with your "activity feed".

53312125.jpg

av2k

Hey guys, is there a good guide to go by for Rogue Legacy? I keep getting my ass kicked, I was able to beat the first level eyeball boss but having issues with the second boss and beyond.

Also, is it better to unlock everything with one point or is it better to not unlock everything so we have a higher chance of getting the character we like to play (in my case, it would be the knight).

Thanks!

KurowaSan

Hey guys, is there a good guide to go by for Rogue Legacy? I keep getting my ass kicked, I was able to beat the first level eyeball boss but having issues with the second boss and beyond.

Also, is it better to unlock everything with one point or is it better to not unlock everything so we have a higher chance of getting the character we like to play (in my case, it would be the knight).

Thanks!

I believe it's better to unlock everything. From that point, focus on having the right set of runes that suit your play style, and keep upgrading health/damage/weight. In my opinion, it's all about space management. Being able to make that extra jump or float in the air for a second allowing you to dodge an attack is what makes the difference.

http://rogue-legacy.wikia.com/wiki/Bosses has tips for every boss.

Me, I think I'm done with the game

It was a fun ride. The Thanatophobia trophy was easier than I expected. After 20 hours of playing the game and dying in every possible way, when you go back to the beginning, with easier and lower level monsters, everything clicks.

Yuterald

I just beat Alexander IV remix version or whatever and I the moment I killed him I got logged out of PSN, game appeared to be auto-saving, but locked/frozen on screen. I was able to run around and jump on the spikes and take no damage. WTF! lol I have no idea what just happened. Afraid to load my game back up...

EDIT: Booted game back up, re-fought him and beat him again. I though this dude was WAY easier than the first upgraded boss. Save files appears to be okay too.

Just got the Miner. Despite having only about 100 HP I was able to do a 2000+ G run. That was about my third 2000+ run tonight. Progress. One other note - really love the in-castle chance element of the shrine items. I got Hedgehog's Curse for the first time tonight. I couldn't figure out what was happening and then I got the reference.
Yes, you really should.

Do the castle layouts ever repeat or is it always random?
Always random and never repeats, unless you lock down the previous layout by using the Architect. Locking the layout is useful for tackling bosses and fairy chest challenges.

It was a fun ride. The Thanatophobia trophy was easier than I expected. After 20 hours of playing the game and dying in every possible way, when you go back to the beginning, with easier and lower level monsters, everything clicks.

Any tips on the best equipment to use on this? I'm focussing on strenth this time as I had problems with the fourth boss (he's dead easy, but I keep getting hit due to the mutliple blobs jumping around...). Otherwise I can do this with little problems I think. the other bosses including the last one are easy as long as I'm careful and on my current run through I can explore the entire castle bar the underground with a low level character with few problems as I've memorised the patterns each enemy has as well as what works best.

Shinobi is my favourite class so far, the damage output is glorious so the lower health isn't a problem as things die that much faster.

All in all though this might just end up being my game of the year, I've not put this game down since buying it last week. It feels like a great mix of Megaman and Castlevania which are two of my favourite games. I just wish there were more bosses, the remixed ones were nice and challenging but I managed to beat them after figuring out what attacks work best against them. I'd love a third set of tougher optional bosses!

KurowaSan

Any tips on the best equipment to use on this? I'm focussing on strenth this time as I had problems with the fourth boss (he's dead easy, but I keep getting hit due to the mutliple blobs jumping around...). Otherwise I can do this with little problems I think. the other bosses including the last one are easy as long as I'm careful and on my current run through I can explore the entire castle bar the underground with a low level character with few problems as I've memorised the patterns each enemy has as well as what works best.

I focused on strength as well, I'd rather have monsters die faster than me risking more time on them.
I had problems with the fourth boss as well. If you take it slow it should be easy, but somehow, it never is! Barbarian shout should help you keep slimes from jumping on you all the time. I went with that and the blade wall spell. Some rune to regain MP could be helpful as well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fuck those remix bosses. Not sure how you guys have the patience to attempt those fights.

Heh, I'm at Legacy +3 now, just casually racking up points to buy everything I have remaining.

I focused on strength as well, I'd rather have monsters die faster than me risking more time on them.
I had problems with the fourth boss as well. If you take it slow it should be easy, but somehow, it never is! Barbarian shout should help you keep slimes from jumping on you all the time. I went with that and the blade wall spell. Some rune to regain MP could be helpful as well.

Cool, thanks. Glad to see I'm on the right path then. I've had a few close calls with the fourth boss so I think this time with some patience I should manage it. I didn't think of using the shout to keep the slimes at bay so I'll have to try that.

Fuck those remix bosses. Not sure how you guys have the patience to attempt those fights.

Heh, I'm at Legacy +3 now, just casually racking up points to buy everything I have remaining.

I was getting nowhere until I paid attention to the abilities you get in the boss battles, then things turned around in my favour:

The giant eyeball boss isn't too bad if you spam your triangle magic attack continually. Then smack the boss a few times to regain magic, then spam magic again. Then its just a case of using the triple jump to evade the bosses shots. Took me a while to get the timing down but I managed that in the end.

The giant skull is a bit of a pain. I had to jump up to the top left platform and use the magic attack to create a teleport point. Then I hit the boss a couple of times, jump over him and then teleport to the other two platforms using the triangle attack. Then smack the boss a few times, when things get hairy I then use the circle teleport attack to move to the other end of the screen. Kill the little skulls to regain health.

The third boss is only a pain as it goes on forever. Just abuse the heck out of the mutliple air jumps you can do and you'll kill the boss... eventually. Try to move in a circle movement pattern so you shouldn't get trapped by the flames. Though its actually really easy to dash and jump through the flames if your really careful.

The fourth boss is a hilarious joke. Get to one side of the screen and hammer the attack button and watch the boss die in about 10 seconds. I couldn't believe how easy he was after the last three.

I love this game so much. I don't know how long I've played it for as the Somniphobia (20 hours played) trophy appears to be glitched on Vita, so I got it the day after I started playing. I'd guess I'm at almost 20 hours by now anyway. I've just beat Ponce de Leon, the big bastard, and am probably about level 100 by now. Venturing into the Darkness, although I haven't yet found the boss down there.

Just now got Thanatophobia!

I just got Thanatophobia myself to finish off my Platinum. I thought they were counting
Johannes and the first Sir Lee in the "15 children" so I was on the edge of my seat finishing off the Fountain. Then I saw the credits say "13 children"... wtf. I would have been pissed if I had died and restarted that save file to try again from scratch, haha. The Alexander the IV trophy was probably the most challenging one personally, but this was a ton of fun even though I got it on my second attempt.

Had an absolute blast with the game, not sure if I will revisit it eventually or not but loved every minute for the platinum.

Turnstyle

I beat the eyeball boss yesterday (Vita). I am level 73. The I gave the skull boss a go. I got hammered by his floating buddies.

I'm not great at this game, but much like Spelunky I'm grinding away and getting better with (almost) every run.

Does anyone have any tips for getting more money on a run? I've already got the gatekeeper down to a 60% toll, and I've filled out some of the Spelunker/extra gold options in the progress tree. I can't remember the exact stats, but I'm getting 13 gold for each coin for regular characters, and 16 for Spelunkers.

Also, am I right in thinking that the order of difficulty for the levels is:

Castle Hamon
Outside Forest area
Upstairs of the castle
Dungeon

Oh, and the game keeps surprising me. The
mimic
chests totally caught me off guard the first time, as did the
mobile roast chickens

The Hedgehog curse is evil, but hilarious.

I beat the eyeball boss yesterday (Vita). I am level 73. The I gave the skull boss a go. I got hammered by his floating buddies.

I'm not great at this game, but much like Spelunky I'm grinding away and getting better with (almost) every run.

Does anyone have any tips for getting more money on a run? I've already got the gatekeeper down to a 60% toll, and I've filled out some of the Spelunker/extra gold options in the progress tree. I can't remember the exact stats, but I'm getting 13 gold for each coin for regular characters, and 16 for Spelunkers.

Also, am I right in thinking that the order of difficulty for the levels is:

Castle Hamon
Outside Forest area
Upstairs of the castle
Dungeon

Oh, and the game keeps surprising me. The
mimic
chests totally caught me off guard the first time, as did the
mobile roast chickens

The Hedgehog curse is evil, but hilarious.

Seriously, fuck the hedgehog curse. I keep getting it when I'm on a great cash run, and end up with like 6000 gold to lose. When that happens I'm never sure whether to kill myself in the most cash-safe way or just try to push on.

The order of difficulty is Castle - Forest - Maya - Darkness. I haven't really bothered getting the upgrades to pay a lower percentage to Charon, but I've tried to upgrade equally across things like health, armour, critical chance, critical damage, mana, etc.

Mimics are a bitch, but not too bad if you can train yourself to either slash every chest before approaching it, or glance at the mini-map and see if there's a treasure chest on there -- if not, you know the chest in front of you must be a mimic. I've never found one in the castle, and I don't think they appear in the forest either.

jonabbey

Ah, hello. My name is Jon.

[RLGAF] Hello Jon! [/RLGAF]

I've come here because I realize that I am powerless against Rogue Legacy. It is affecting my life and the lives of those around me in a terrible way. My life has become unmanageable, and I know now that something has to change.

[RLGAF] *stares* [/RLGAF]

I've been staying up past three o'clock at night, night after night, trying to make some kind of meaningful progress in this god damned game. No matter how I always find myself getting slaughtered within a few minutes of starting a new hero, with only enough gold to make me hope for a minute before having to give it all to Charon.. I have not been able to stop.

I know that I can't take it anymore.

[RLGAF] Don't be a pussy! Hang in until you can get a spellsword! [/RLGAF]

No, RLGAF, I can't. I just can't. I'm at level 49, and I only earn enough gold to buy any kind of upgrade once every ten tries, if I'm lucky.

I'm not.. I'm not a strong man, you know.

[RLGAF] Wuss! [/RLGAF]

I can't take it anymore. I just can't.

So, I deleted it off my PS4 last night.

[RLGAF] *BOO!* [/RLGAF]

No.. no. I just wanted.. I wanted to say..

FUCK THIS GODDAMNED GAME

*weeps uncontrollably*

Just FUCK this game!

*sits down shaking*

Mimics are a bitch, but not too bad if you can train yourself to either slash every chest before approaching it, or glance at the mini-map and see if there's a treasure chest on there -- if not, you know the chest in front of you must be a mimic. I've never found one in the castle, and I don't think they appear in the forest either.

Mimics only appear in the Maya area. Like the evil paintings they also shake a little if you pay close attention to them. I tend to just look at the mini map though to be on the safe side. They remind me very much of the Super GnG/Maximo evil chests.

I'm doing well on my Thanatophobia run. I'm onto my 5th character or so and I've beaten 3 bosses so far so now its just about the fourth boss and I think I'll be fine. I'll just do a few more cash runs and upgrade my strength... I'm tempted to either start the game again after that on my PS4 or just keep playing the Vita version to see how much harder Game + runs get (my record so far is clearing the game 3 times in a row, and by the third time it was pretty challenging)

Celegus

Ah, hello. My name is Jon.

If you're not enjoying the game (and especially if it's messing up your sleep and ruining your mood), please don't force yourself to play it. Everyone has different tastes, so this one just might not be for you. No one's going to hold it against you!

But thanks for giving the devs money so they can continue to make awesome games for the rest of us!

jonabbey

If you're not enjoying the game (and especially if it's messing up your sleep and ruining your mood), please don't force yourself to play it. Everyone has different tastes, so this one just might not be for you. No one's going to hold it against you!

The crying was for humorous / dramatic effect.

Gosh darn it but the game has kicked my ass, though.

But thanks for giving the devs money so they can continue to make awesome games for the rest of us!

My pleasure. ;-)

HORRORSHØW

so what's the best upgrades to unlock while gunning for the thanatophobia trophy? is hokage recommended for the bosses? or maybe paladin + attack/hp upgrades?

Grimløck;124580747 said:
so what's the best upgrades to unlock while gunning for the thanatophobia trophy? is hokage recommended for the bosses? or maybe paladin + attack/hp upgrades?

Classes: Mainly Hokage with some Barbarian King. A few of my later lives were Miner runs that netted 30k+ each life, once I was leveled up enough to clear most of the castle with their shitty stats (no bosses).

Upgrades: Mostly HP and Attack (both were level ~30 by the end). I maxed out my Gold Bonus but it was probably a waste after the first 2 or 3 levels. Good sword/armor upgrades are invaluable and worth buying the Equip Load upgrades. Remember that Hokage gets bonus points for each Attack upgrade but only 60% of HP upgrades. Barb. King is essentially the opposite (bonus HP, strength penalty) so they compliment each other well. Enough +MP so that BKing has 80-100 (4-5 shouts).

Runes/Armor: At least one bonus jump is mandatory, with as many vampire runes as possible. Balance runes (1HP/1MP) are a better substitute than blood armor which is heavy and lowers your max HP. I used a Haste rune instead of Dash, especially with Hokage (+50% movement) but just personal preference. I like being fast all the time instead of only discrete bursts.

Bosses:
1.) Khidir in Castle: Learn the patterns and any class is fine. Only get on the platforms to attack between his attacks, it's much easier to dodge his fire if you are on the ground. Blade Wall magic works well.

2.) Alexander in Forest: Hokage with 4-6 HP Vampirism dominates him. One shot the little guys to refill any damage you take, and just stay mobile.

3.) Ponce de Leon in Tower: Barb King's Shout special move clears out the fire balls he leaves behind which makes him much easier. Your strength is low but you have enough HP to tank some hits. Retribution runes/armor will destroy the spike balls if they hit you, but it's not necessary when Shout clears out the fireballs.

4.) Herodotus in Dungeon: I like Barb K's shout to clear out enemies if you get surrounded. but Hokage and Paladin work too (6 HP Vampire for all classes). Try to only spawn+kill one earth mage at a time, and stay elevated. The smaller sized slimes can only jump up one level of platforms. So stay on the second level, drop down when they jump up, then get a few whacks and retreat back up. Rinse and repeat.

5.)
Johannes/Fountain: Drop all Vampire/Siphon gear and focus on mobility (Dash works quite well here). BKing's shout works well again to clear out projectiles, but so does Paladin block and Hokage teleport. Play conservatively and make the most of Johannes's HP/MP drops. Try to kill him towards the middle/left side so Fountain doesn't spawn on top of you. Not bad if you know the patterns. The most useful thing is to get here with a few lives to spare so you aren't too tense.

Good luck!

Turnstyle

Yesterday I beat Alexander and Ponce, and came soooo close to defeating Herodotus!

When I started this game, I was prepared for the fact I would never finish it, but now I genuinely think I'm in with a shot.

Just how tough is the final boss?

Yesterday I beat Alexander and Ponce, and came soooo close to defeating Herodotus!

When I started this game, I was prepared for the fact I would never finish it, but now I genuinely think I'm in with a shot.

Just how tough is the final boss?

The final boss is no pushover but he's possible if your patient and careful. His attacks are fairly damaging but easy to dodge so as long as your not reckless you should put him down after a few attempts.

My Thanatophobia run is nearing its end. I managed to beat the 4th boss by abusing the double jump/dash moves to evade until I had a decent opening. Now I've only got the final boss to go.

RPGCrazied

This game is really hard, lol. I'm only level 13 or so, but that eye boss makes short work of me. I can't believe there is trophy to beat the game under 15 deaths, that seems impossible.

Finished! 180 children and just over 20 hours.

I got stuck at the 3rd boss for a while so I think I got a bit OP grinding at that point while banging my head against that boss. Once I got pasted it the rest was a cake walk. Didnt even die on the remaining bosses.

This game is really hard, lol. I'm only level 13 or so, but that eye boss makes short work of me. I can't believe there is trophy to beat the game under 15 deaths, that seems impossible.
If you're playing for the first time there's almost no way you can take on the first boss at Lv 13. I'm at 38 and haven't done it yet, though I've been avoiding him for gold runs for a while...

Made it to the last boss,
The Fountain
, but I can barely scratch the fucker, and that's if I make it past
Johannes
. Bastard is utterly relentless, and kills every build I have except Barbarian King/Queen in three hits. I can barely attack because I'm so busy avoiding all of his magic attacks. Will try again tonight,, but any tips would be appreciated.

Also, why in the fuck can I not see my Heir's stats before selecting them? Some have like 200hp, others only 100hp, and their both paladins. No way to see what I'm getting before selecting though, so no way to know if I'm better off just going for the Knave.

Stupid.

Bad.

Also, why in the fuck can I not see my Heir's stats before selecting them? Some have like 200hp, others only 100hp, and their both paladins. No way to see what I'm getting before selecting though, so no way to know if I'm better off just going for the Knave.

Stupid.

Bad.

??? I thought each class had fixed comparative statistics, unless you have a specific trait that affects them (like the one which swaps health and mana around). At least, I've never noticed that using the same class yields different results.

??? I thought each class had fixed comparative statistics, unless you have a specific trait that affects them (like the one which swaps health and mana around). At least, I've never noticed that using the same class yields different results.

I thought so too. Not sure what I'm missing.

I'm hitting the sack for the night. Getting to frustrated for my own good right now. Something about the speed of the sword swing and the speed of the character changing directions is causing me to take damage over and over in situations that I can tell are easy to handle. But there's always that second delay when I'm trying to go from attacking left to attacking right, or that extra few frames of wind up that allows an enemy to cross the distance of the sword in the time it takes for me to press the button, to the time it takes the sword to complete the swing.

There is a slight pause when you swing your sword, and I do find when doing a jump-slash I need to press the button about quarter of a second before I think I should. Those flaming skulls that speed right towards you and then pause before dashing are bastards and they almost always hit me.

Made it to the last boss,
The Fountain
, but I can barely scratch the fucker, and that's if I make it past
Johannes
. Bastard is utterly relentless, and kills every build I have except Barbarian King/Queen in three hits. I can barely attack because I'm so busy avoiding all of his magic attacks. Will try again tonight,, but any tips would be appreciated.

I liked the assassin for that fight. You can vanish to avoid most of the difficult stuff, and the crits mean you don't have to hit him anywhere near as much as the barbarian king.

Also, why in the fuck can I not see my Heir's stats before selecting them? Some have like 200hp, others only 100hp, and their both paladins.

Stupid.

Bad.

Calling bullshit on that. You made a mistake, simple as that.

magnetic

Fanstastic game, plays like a dream on the Vita, makes me feel like I´m 8 and playing my Gameboy like a maniac again.

I especially love the super-direct controls. It felt a bit too weightless at first, but moonwalking away from enemies while you swing your sword is just incredibly fun. Usually I prefer games with "heavier" controls (like Monster Hunter), but the 1:1 input is very fun.

I´m really in love with these rogue-inspired titles. Spelunky was a bit too punishing for my taste, RL is a faster game that makes me play in a more reckless way. Can´t wait for Binding Of Isaac next!

Hahaha, I had the easiest roll ever the other night. Even with reduced reaction times from being tired and slightly high at 2am, there was no way I wasn't beating the boss after going through 5 rooms with barely an enemy in sight.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=671213516220

Upon re-watching.... wow was I out of it. LOL at the part where I'm fighting the boss and facing the wrong direction for a good 2 seconds.

Hey guys, this game is amazing. It's so addictive.

Questions for you pros though:

I just started new game +2, and I'm wondering, should I start to favor equipment that raises MP and HP over high armor equipment, late game?

I'm pretty much wearing the highest armor gear right now, and all the "better" equipment that I'm unlocking lowers armor and raises hp and mp, so I'm reluctant to use it and lose armor value. I'm wondering if the higher hp gains outweighed the damage reduction from armor.

Thoughts?

Just beat the first boss after leveling like crazy. I was Lv 57 and he went down like nothing. Tried the forest boss just after and got my butt kicked. Sigh. Back to grinding I go...

Vorpal

Hey guys, this game is amazing. It's so addictive.

Questions for you pros though:

I just started new game +2, and I'm wondering, should I start to favor equipment that raises MP and HP over high armor equipment, late game?

I'm pretty much wearing the highest armor gear right now, and all the "better" equipment that I'm unlocking lowers armor and raises hp and mp, so I'm reluctant to use it and lose armor value. I'm wondering if the higher hp gains outweighed the damage reduction from armor.

Thoughts?

I had a lot of variation depending on the class I was playing. For the most part I prioritized armor over HP/MP when I stacked Vampirism runes (for farming), usually as a Barbarian King or a Hokage. Ideally I would only get hit once or twice per room, and with higher armor there was less ground to make up with Vampirism. This strategy kind of falls apart if you have a particularly rough encounter and you have to spend a while scrambling for portions, but it's serviceable.

With classes like Lich, Archmage, or Spelunker, I always prioritize HP/MP over armor and try to play it safe with lots of dodging/ranged attacks. In general I think it's a safe bet to focus on castle upgrades that pick up the slack for whichever armor set you tend to use.

Totally unrelated: I noticed text on the knight statues that reads "K.T. LEE"--probably for Cellar Doors' co-founders Kenny and Teddy Lee. There's text on the angel statues that looks like "PRISCI," but I'm not sure what that refers to. Maybe just a random shout-out, or maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm also not sure about the demon statue. "ILA - DEF"? Together with the angel statue it might be "Priscila-Def"? No idea!

9ruwFb3.png

Picked this gem up for PS4/Vita. I love rogue-like games, so this game was a perfect fit. I'm going to have to go through this thread and brush up on all the tips being shared, because I'm definitely lost, but I'm enjoying getting my butt handed to me in the mean time.

If anyone has any tips they wanna share, I'm all ears!

Top Bottom