• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Picked this gem up for PS4/Vita. I love rogue-like games, so this game was a perfect fit. I'm going to have to go through this threat and brush up on all the tips being shared, because I'm definitely lost, but I'm enjoying getting my butt handed to me in the mean time.

If anyone has any tips they wanna share, I'm all ears!
IMO there aren't really many tips needed. It's just a fun grind. You'll get your butt kicked early on only because you're underpowered and haven't recognized all the enemy patterns yet. So just play. But be sure to maximize gold collection. Gold = experience that will help each successive generation. Try to spend every penny you have before the next run so as not to waste your gold/xp.

cakely

Been playing quite a bit of this, lately, on my PS4.

Got stuck at Ponce de Leon for a long while yesterday, got in bed and played "one more game" using cross-save on my Vita. Beat him with a Barbarian King on my first try.

I'm not even going to say what level I'm at right now, it's embarrassing. Now for the Darkness!

cakely

Annnnd I just beat the game. Loved it, really, I think I'll give it another go now that I know what to leave locked in the manor. I actually even enjoyed the plot, what there was of it.

174 deaths.

Also, I'm sad that I ended up beating this before I beat Spelunky.

Annnnd I just beat the game. Loved it, really, I think I'll give it another go now that I know what to leave locked in the manor. I actually even enjoyed the plot, what there was of it.

174 deaths.

Also, I'm sad that I ended up beating this before I beat Spelunky.
Congrats! I beat the game for the first time last night, too. I believe I was level 155 and died 64 times.

I ended up scoring big time on that last playthrough, as I got a Hokage with ADHD and PAD, so I mopped up the final boss and barely got touched.

The EX bosses wreck my face for free, though. I can't even beat
Astrodotus

Oh, and fuck Hedgehog's Curse.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Guys, seriously: am I the only one who keeps getting randomly warped around the castle out of nowhere? Sometimes I even become invisible and/or break wall collisions. This game is fucking unplayable on PS4, and I can't find a single mention of this bug anywhere.

I feel like the game is becoming too much of a grind. I enjoyed working my way up so far but I'm at the point where I can whip the castle and pretty easily clear the forest but the tower kicks my ass. I'm grinding the castle and the forest to buff my stats for the tower but it's getting boring to do so. Worst of all though, is I often times can't get enough gold to get any worthwhile upgrades. I think I'm going to start putting everything into attack to just power the hell up.

Guys, seriously: am I the only one who keeps getting randomly warped around the castle out of nowhere? Sometimes I even become invisible and/or break wall collisions. This game is fucking unplayable on PS4, and I can't find a single mention of this bug anywhere.
Really weird. Don't think anyone's mentioned that here. PS4 version is flawless for me. Try deleting and reinstalling maybe?

Wow, what a difference experience makes! I'm at the end of New Game + now, and I got there in, like 4-5 deaths only. All the bosses have been cake compared to their remix versions (who I still can't beat). I think I'm going to have a go at all the remix bosses on my next play.

Thanatophobia actually feels almost doable now.

cakely

Well, that stinks. RL has been rock-solid my PS4, I haven't seen a single bug, frame drop, or graphical glitch anywhere.

Have you considered uninstalling and reinstalling? I have no idea what's happening.

All right! I got Neo Khidr, Alexander the IV, and Astrodotus down, but I'm having a ton of trouble on Ponce de Freon.

Does anyone who's beaten him have any tips?

Any update on this?

Okay, all remix bosses are down (Ponce de Freon being by far the hardest for me), and I mocked the Traitor. Now I just need to finish the blueprints and then go for Thanatophobia.

I have gotten this like 3 times. Most infuriating "random" generated screen.

GgHWh3i.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Hahaha holy shit that's a terrible room. I'd be upset if I got that (especially during a good run).

All right! I got Neo Khidr, Alexander the IV, and Astrodotus down, but I'm having a ton of trouble on Ponce de Freon.

Does anyone who's beaten him have any tips?

Argh! Ponce de Freon is the easiest one! I'm stuck on Alexander. It takes so long to kill him that I inevitably make enough mistakes to die.

Argh! Ponce de Freon is the easiest one! I'm stuck on Alexander. It takes so long to kill him that I inevitably make enough mistakes to die.
For him, what I did was purposely run into the spikes whenever I couldn't avoid damage. I stalled the fight quite a bit, too, by running around and killing the little ones to regain HP.

So I picked this up for Vita after liking it on PC but getting frustrated due to having to use a 360 controller.

My word does having a proper d-pad make this game so much better. It's now got me and I'm a little too addicted to it.

Now wondering if I should do the same for Spelunky

Celegus

So I picked this up for Vita after liking it on PC but getting frustrated due to having to use a 360 controller.

My word does having a proper d-pad make this game so much better. It's now got me and I'm a little too addicted to it.

Now wondering if I should do the same for Spelunky

Hm, I never had an issue with it. I actually bought the 360 controller specifically for this, which was a huge improvement over keyboard. I play Spelunky on Vita with the analog stick though, so I might just be history's greatest monster.

Hm, I never had an issue with it. I actually bought the 360 controller specifically for this, which was a huge improvement over keyboard. I play Spelunky on Vita with the analog stick though, so I might just be history's greatest monster.

Never got into Spelunky either, so maybe I'll have to give that a go on the Vita too.

And with the 360 controller, the D Pad was rubbish and with the annalogue stick I couldn't consistently hit the down direction when falling or jumping.

Just beat the big eye so well on my way and have caught "one more game" feeling of this game now!

I actually love Rogue Legacy and don't like Spelunky at all. I'm not sure controls are the root of the issue with that game.

It has nothing to do with controls and everything to do with progress. After a few failures in spelunky you feel like u gained nothing. A few failures in rogue legacy you at least level up.

Celegus

It has nothing to do with controls and everything to do with progress. After a few failures in spelunky you feel like u gained nothing. A few failures in rogue legacy you at least level up.

Not my experience in the slightest, but I guess it is less concrete than something like Rogue Legacy.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Based PS+, held off getting this game because I had a hunch it would end p there and it did. So good, can't put it down.

Does Rogue Legacy run at native res on the Vita? It doesn't seem to. It looks kinda chunky (might just be the art design) but also the text appears to be blurring, usually indicating that a game is running at a lower-than-native res.

Still, seems to play perfectly fine on the Vita and works for me.

Celegus

You guys all posting your Thanatophobia comments gives me hope. I'm only a couple hours in and it seemed like an almost impossible trophy.

Hoo boy I forgot about that one since it wasn't on PC. May try to do it after I beat the game and get good at it again, but not gonna kill myself trying to do it. That could be harrowing.

Damn..well at least you chose the right kind of break. I think I might've wanted to break something.
Yeah.

But anyway, even though the trophy might seem impossible right now, my strategy for it was to just keep playing through New Game +s. By the time I got to New Game +3 or so and got used to dodging all the shit in that, everything in the regular game felt slow and easy. The hardest part was dealing with not having the options I'd gotten used to (for example, by that time, you're probably so stacked on upgrades that you can use the Paladin's shield whenever you want).

Yeah.

But anyway, even though the trophy might seem impossible right now, my strategy for it was to just keep playing through New Game +s. By the time I got to New Game +3 or so and got used to dodging all the shit in that, everything in the regular game felt slow and easy. The hardest part was dealing with not having the options I'd gotten used to (for example, by that time, you're probably so stacked on upgrades that you can use the Paladin's shield whenever you want).

Makes sense, thanks.

Number45

I've come into this completely blind (thanks, based PS+) and I can see me playing this A LOT. Challenging, sometimes unforgiving but just enough progression and customisation in the character that you feel like you can make things easier on yourself. ^_^

Runs pretty damn smoothly on the Vita too.

Fuck man I got the game about three days ago and I've played 15+ hours easily. It is so addicting.

I've just managed to beat the second boss, finally. Building stats is pretty fun. Just had my best run yet @ 14k gold in one go... which is probably nothing compared to folk in this thread who've played for months.

FoxSpirit

I have gotten this like 3 times. Most infuriating "random" generated screen.

GgHWh3i.jpg
What? This is easy to get out of unharmed, you have two unfoldable platforms.

Also, has the scaling changed any? The monster scaling on release was ridiculous, if you miss-leveled you suddenly were ultra weak and recuperating from that was crushing. Better to restart a 10 hour play... :-(

Hey, so I'm having an issue with this game, and I cannot figure it out. I downloaded it first on Vita, played for two hours, then decided to download it on PS4. When I try to cross-save, it just doesn't work. On the Vita, it says "cross-save successful," but on PS4, it just doesn't do anything. The saving cog just spins and spins, and nothing happens. I tried going into the options to do it manually, but nothing changed. Am I missing a step in the process here?
I just wanted to play on my Tv for a bit.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Lolllll

These are all features of the game, dude! You're pressing up on teleporters, and there are holes in the walls for skipping enemies and finding secret chests. I know this post is months old but it's hilarious.

Number45

Hey, so I'm having an issue with this game, and I cannot figure it out. I downloaded it first on Vita, played for two hours, then decided to download it on PS4. When I try to cross-save, it just doesn't work. On the Vita, it says "cross-save successful," but on PS4, it just doesn't do anything. The saving cog just spins and spins, and nothing happens. I tried going into the options to do it manually, but nothing changed. Am I missing a step in the process here?
I just wanted to play on my Tv for a bit.
Aside from a single issue this weekend (where it didn't seem to sync my data from Vita to PS4) this has worked perfectly for me without me doing anything, so no you're not missing anything that I'm aware of as long as you have the auto cross save option enabled in the settings that should be all that's needed.

I enjoyed playing this on my Vita initially, but the performance there is surprisingly painful after playing it buttery smooth on the PS4. I also now know what random muscle spasms do, because they do fuck all on the Vita. :p

Also, playing on the Vita d-pad for too long hurts my fingers. :'(

Fantastic game though. Currently trying to best the tower.

Aside from a single issue this weekend (where it didn't seem to sync my data from Vita to PS4) this has worked perfectly for me without me doing anything, so no you're not missing anything that I'm aware of as long as you have the auto cross save option enabled in the settings that should be all that's needed.

I enjoyed playing this on my Vita initially, but the performance there is surprisingly painful after playing it buttery smooth on the PS4. I also now know what random muscle spasms do, because they do fuck all on the Vita. :p

Also, playing on the Vita d-pad for too long hurts my fingers. :'(

Fantastic game though. Currently trying to best the tower.

Stop using the d-pad then, the analog stick is perfect.

I struggle with the stick for this, the game plays so much better with the d-pad for me on both the Vita and PS4.

Really? I'm finding the mobility of the stick to be perfect for me, I can pretty much do the castle and forest without being hit, or hit very little. Starting tower... right now!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Started playing this over the weekend thanks to PS+. It is very fun and I am very bad at it.

Lawd.

I don't know how some of you beat it with *just* 200 deaths. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the upper 500's right now, and I'm only level 83, one boss beaten. What are the recommended levels to beat the Forest/Tower/Darkness bosses? I haven't attempted any yet, and have only been grinding away. Getting runes is hard.

I bought this when it came out last year. Fun at first but it turned into too much of a damn grind. I put 15 or 20 hours into and only had enough stats to beat two bosses. I'm probably close to being able to take down the third but by that point it all just felt too repetitive. The basic feel is super solid though. It kept me playing for much longer than I would have thought.

Question, how do I get 'Randomize Children" to show up in the Alter? Do you have to max out "Mana Cost Down" or "Invuln Time Up" which at the closest icons to where it would be?

It'd be some serious time and money grinding to get those to 5/5 just to see if it opens up Randomize children, appreciate any input.

Top Bottom