• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Question, how do I get 'Randomize Children" to show up in the Alter? Do you have to max out "Mana Cost Down" or "Invuln Time Up" which at the closest icons to where it would be?

It'd be some serious time and money grinding to get those to 5/5 just to see if it opens up Randomize children, appreciate any input.
No. You never need to purchase more than one from any given skill to get its successor(s) to pop.

I bought this when it came out last year. Fun at first but it turned into too much of a damn grind. I put 15 or 20 hours into and only had enough stats to beat two bosses. I'm probably close to being able to take down the third but by that point it all just felt too repetitive. The basic feel is super solid though. It kept me playing for much longer than I would have thought.

20 hours was also the magic number for me before finally giving up. I had a lot of fun with it, but I realized I wasn't going to beat it under any circumstance.

Number45

Lawd.

I don't know how some of you beat it with *just* 200 deaths. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the upper 500's right now, and I'm only level 83, one boss beaten. What are the recommended levels to beat the Forest/Tower/Darkness bosses? I haven't attempted any yet, and have only been grinding away. Getting runes is hard.
I'd assumed that you advanced a level when you die, is that not the case? Are the levels the points pumped into the permanent stat upgrades?

Slowly working through the tower, it's a pretty significant step up from the castle and forest. Screw the wargs, I just can't deal with them effectively.

Celegus

I'd assumed that you advanced a level when you die, is that not the case? Are the levels the points pumped into the permanent stat upgrades?

Slowly working through the tower, it's a pretty significant step up from the castle and forest. Screw the wargs, I just can't deal with them effectively.

One level = one upgrade. The tower boss is pretty easy at least. I was kind of bummed I beat him right after the forest boss in the same run, because I really like the tower music.

What's more useful, flying or double amd triple jumps?

Also, is paying for the gatekeeper to take less of your money when you reenter the castle a waste of gold? It seems most gold earned should be spent right away on something anyway, so even if you built it up to him taking only 50% at that point it you'd only have a couple hundred gold upon reentering?

newjeruse

Just saw these tweets....
CellarDoorGames @CellarDoorGames · 18h 18 hours ago

Hey guys, too many people played Rogue Legacy over the weekend on PSN, and Sony had to disable Cloud/cross saving for the moment. (1/2)

This will cause issues such as a permanent hanging save gear, and the inability to Cross-save. Trying to come up with a fix. Sorry! (2/2)

A patch to reduce server overload is in the works. We'll try to get it through Sony as soon as possible! Sorry for all the trouble guys!
Kinda annoying. Is there a manual way to go from PS4 to Vita?

Number45

I can't live without double jumps and dash (which I use pretty much exclusively to control lateral movement in the air for getting through spikes). Flying is useful in a pinch too when you can just tap the button a third time and pause in the air.

I'm trying to balance double jump and dash, with cash runes and a little survivability at the moment. I'm not sure there's ever going to be a point in this game when the cash isn't important! D:

I like having triple jump and double dash, but I would only use one jump rune and one dash rune. There's equipment later that can give you extra jumps/dashes/flight/etc. I would prioritize extra jumps over any other mobility option, though, as long as I have at least one dash.

Also, is paying for the gatekeeper to take less of your money when you reenter the castle a waste of gold? It seems most gold earned should be spent right away on something anyway, so even if you built it up to him taking only 50% at that point it you'd only have a couple hundred gold upon reentering?
It's not a waste, but it's not really a priority, I think.

Celegus

Lawd.

I don't know how some of you beat it with *just* 200 deaths. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the upper 500's right now, and I'm only level 83, one boss beaten. What are the recommended levels to beat the Forest/Tower/Darkness bosses? I haven't attempted any yet, and have only been grinding away. Getting runes is hard.

You... might not want to check the bottom of the trophy list.

Yeah I'm also weary of giving up the extra gold, even for extra jumps or dashes. I always at least have the double jump though.

What seems to be more efficient, a Hotake and build up armor/extra life, or a Tank class and build up attack and criticals? All I've beaten is the level one boss at I'm level 65 now.

Appreciate the input.

Yeah I'm also weary of giving up the extra gold, even for extra jumps or dashes. I always at least have the double jump though.

What seems to be more efficient, a Hotake and build up armor/extra life, or a Tank class and build up attack and criticals? All I've beaten is the level one boss at I'm level 65 now.

Appreciate the input.
It depends on your play style and upgrades. Hokage is great early on, but at high levels, Assassin actually outputs the most damage because Hokage can't crit.

My favorite, by far, though, is Paladin. No weaknesses, and the shield is so amazing. Also, if you hold down when you activate the shield, you get the Tanooki Suit statue mode, which is less invincible--although still very invincible--and damages enemies upon touch.

ThisOne

Any word on what's more important to upgrade between life and armor? What about between attack damage, crit chance, and crit damage?

I'm on new game + if it matters.

Celegus

I tried to use the spellcaster classes more this time around (playing on Vita, played the PC version a little over a year ago) but I still don't like them at all. I'm sure I could have done better if I tried, but I made it to the final boss (2nd form) at level 73 with 53 children. Didn't quite beat it yet, mostly because I still only have the first column of swords unlocked. Ended up using the second sword for basically the entire game. And pretty much no spells or abilities either, just like the first time around.

B9h8GZsIgAEWvOG.jpg

Wow, just had my best run so far. I was lucky enough to get Helios' Blessing (every enemy drops coins) wound up with over 25,000 gold this round, my personal best thus far.

Wilco had ocd so every prop destroyed gained an MP point, plus I was able to slay the boss Alexander.

He was a Barbarian tank, and it was nice having the health but man it took two strikes to kill Alexanders minons, so I have to go for more attack power and just get better at dodging.

ThisOne

Well, I beat new game + tonight. It was surprisingly not that hard. I got lucky and was able to find most of the boss rooms pretty easily. The bosses don't seem to scale up in difficulty nearly as much as the enemies so I beat most of them in 2 or 3 tries. New game ++ is a real pain though. I've got to use a Grace rune just to make it manageable.

Trying to beat all the remixed bosses now.

B9jAxvNIUAE81zo.jpg

Yay, I did it. and yes, I'm awful at this game.

Went from a few days ago thinking I'd never being able to beat it to finally doing it. Gotta say, enjoyed the game far more than I thought I would. Will I play New Game +/++? Hell no. Enough frustrations just beating it once. lol Good luck to everyone that is still going or will play this game.

Just beat the game, finally.

149 children (same as guy two posts above, strangely) and 15 hours 1 minute play time.

Absolutely fantastic and incredibly addictive game. The story was very good considering the delivery method. Played the entire thing on Vita, ran and looked like a dream.

Can't remember what level I was but at somewhere in the 160s.

Just beat the game, finally.

149 children (same as guy two posts above, strangely) and 15 hours 1 minute play time.

Absolutely fantastic and incredibly addictive game. The story was very good considering the delivery method. Played the entire thing on Vita, ran and looked like a dream.

Can't remember what level I was but at somewhere in the 160s.

Haha, that's amazingly awesome. I thought it was cool beating it right before the 150th child, but yeah coincidences are the best!

I played entirely on PS4 and had no issues, except for the "Now saving" Cog wheel being permanently stuck in the upper right hand corner due to the cross save issues, it only really obscured my vision once or twice but not enough to kill me. Was fun.

ThisOne

I've got the first two remix bosses killed. Alexander the IV was a total pain. Nearly threw my controller at the wall. Took me many tries to finally beat him.

Ah OK, so that fight will always be the same no matter your progress elsewhere.

In that case, I'd just like to say... NOPE! D:
Those characters tend to be specifically tuned up to be effective against their respective bosses.

It's just that the bosses themselves are really hard.

ThisOne

The nice thing, too, is that when you die against one of them, you just start right outside their door so you can just keep trying them over and over without having to select a new character, entering the castle, and teleporting to them.

Number45

I seem completely incapable of beating the tower boss. Also, literally every "blessing" I get at the moment is Hedgehog's Curse - fuck that!

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I seem completely incapable of beating the tower boss. Also, literally every "blessing" I get at the moment is Hedgehog's Curse - fuck that!

It took tons of grinding adding stats to armor, health, and strength to beat him. I think I grinded so much to beat him that when I went against the blob boss, I beat him the first try and was able to beat the final one after 3 tries.

ThisOne

I finally beat all the remix bosses. Alexander the IV was definitely the hardest. I now have every trophy except for the ones for getting all runes, getting all blueprints, and beating the game using only 15 lives. This is the most fun I've had with a game for awhile.

sn00zer

Finished the game......that wasnt a very good game....felt like I was playing a ftp game with how slow the upgrades come...wouldve enjoyed it far more had it been much much shorter

I'm really enjoying the game on the Vita so far.
I agree thought that upgrades come slow.
Not sure if having 2/75 upgrades is trolling me. :p
I don't last very long though. Best run so far was 2.5k yesterday.
Haven't really tried killing one of the huge eyes yet though. and leaving the main castle area is still too tough for my little hero.
I think I'm on level 30.

Number45

Seems like the levelling aspect is just training, if the expectation is that you should be able to complete the game within 15 generations.

Not going to stop me from trying to max everything out though.

Seems like the levelling aspect is just training, if the expectation is that you should be able to complete the game within 15 generations.

Not going to stop me from trying to max everything out though.

I fail to see how I could ever beat the game in 15 generations judging by my current play style.

Speaking of which, how do you actually beat the game? is there a room/boss you have to get to in the end?
And a quick questions what's the deal with the large pictures with 6 icons in them?

Number45

I fail to see how I could ever beat the game in 15 generations judging by my current play style.
Your answer is there, adapt your style. This is from someone who is still finding their way, but is already much more comfortable with the game than when I started - I no longer immediately run back when I enter the Darkness and can hold my own in there.

Speaking of which, how do you actually beat the game? is there a room/boss you have to get to in the end?
I assume, beat the main boss after unlocking the door in the throne room. Also, pay attention to the journal entries.

And a quick questions what's the deal with the large pictures with 6 icons in them?
If your character matches one of the icons, it's a mini boss I think.

I'm really enjoying the game on the Vita so far.
I agree thought that upgrades come slow.
Not sure if having 2/75 upgrades is trolling me. :p
I don't last very long though. Best run so far was 2.5k yesterday.
Haven't really tried killing one of the huge eyes yet though. and leaving the main castle area is still too tough for my little hero.
I think I'm on level 30.
Somewhere between 40-50 your skills and your ability to grind out gold become heighten to the point where any run below 2k is kind of a letdown. I suggest that you invest in runes that boost the percentage of gold coming in and maybe unlock the miner for a few loot runs to really start beefing up your characters.

Hesemonni

Banned
Just finished my first run on level 168 :D Just wondering, is there any real incentive to keep completing the game multiple times?

bobawesome

Finished the game......that wasnt a very good game....felt like I was playing a ftp game with how slow the upgrades come...wouldve enjoyed it far more had it been much much shorter

I agree. The game had its hooks in me good the first day and after that it started to feel like a massive grind.

Somewhere between 40-50 your skills and your ability to grind out gold become heighten to the point where any run below 2k is kind of a letdown. I suggest that you invest in runes that boost the percentage of gold coming in and maybe unlock the miner for a few loot runs to really start beefing up your characters.

Not found any money increasing runes yet. I think I just have to go into rooms more carefully instead of 'guns' blazing and dying quickly.

Not found any money increasing runes yet. I think I just have to go into rooms more carefully instead of 'guns' blazing and dying quickly.

well, the good thing about this game is that AFAIK you never get the same item twice so once you've earned a rune, that specific rune will never pop up again (unless it's for a different piece of equipment). If you keep playing, you eventually come into one!

I also invested early on in reducing the gold penalty from Charon when entering the castle and i have a couple of points in the increasing-percentage-of-gold attribute. Once i got around 80% and starting getting more interesting runes i started doing away with the bonus gold runes because by then it's almost trivial to pick up 1.5k-2k without even trying.

Almost level forty and I haven't killed any bosses. Also have a hard time getting near a thousand gold or more.

just keep on keeping on. The first 40-50 levels are really a tough grind as youre learning the game and you're almost always underleveled. try specifically using barbarians since they have really high HP, that'll help you navigate the beginning areas of the castle and offers you a better shot against the first boss.

Number45

So does the game stop at 149 children or something? Because I'm pretty sure this is the third screenshot with the same number of children:

Breezed the Darkness boss with the P.A.D. trait, and the final encounter wasn't too hard once you know what's coming. Onwards, to NG+!

Not sure I have what it takes for that trophy though.

Breezed the Darkness boss with the P.A.D. trait, and the final encounter wasn't too hard once you know what's coming. Onwards, to NG+!

Not sure I have what it takes for that trophy though.
The weird thing about Herodotus (and to a lesser extent the final boss) is that, while he's easy in normal play, he's really, really hard if you're going for Thanatophobia. Almost everyone dies against him because they don't expect how difficult he is if you're low level.

To give you an idea, imagine that it takes multiple hits to make him split (while the other 32472 slimes are still moving around), and the earth spirits he summons also take multiple hits to down. Meanwhile, he kills you with just a few hits.

Top Bottom