• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Because of the unique death situation where you just continue with relatives and being able to lock the world down and your stats, that little bit of forgiveness makes this a great gateway drug to roguelike type games. At least it did for me.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Quite a nice twist on the rogue-like so far. I'm doing terrible, but still enjoying the game. It must be around the year 2500 or so for my dynasty now. XD About my only gripe with the game is leveling skills comes off as a tad too grindy for my taste. Other than that, good times. =)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I still haven't beat it :(
The move where it
shoots the balls in 4 lines in a clock-wise direction
always gets me, the attack is always half a second too long.

You can jump clockwise or anti-clockwise around the room (depending on how the lines move) to avoid it. It's actually pretty easy to avoid.

Also I don't think you can actually get hurt by white parts of the eye, but I'm not too sure.

Gotta say I'm pretty happy with the keyboard implementation so far. I don't feel limited by it at all.

Also I fucking hate charites and doomvases.

fleck0

I still haven't beat it :(
The move where it
shoots the balls in 4 lines in a clock-wise direction
always gets me, the attack is always half a second too long.

If you use [class]
the Barbarian King's shout it will destroy any red 'tears' on the screen

aravuus

You can jump clockwise or anti-clockwise around the room (depending on how the lines move) to avoid it. It's actually pretty easy to avoid.

Also I don't think you can actually get hurt by white parts of the eye, but I'm not too sure.

Gotta say I'm pretty happy with the keyboard implementation so far. I don't feel limited by it at all.

Technically it isn't very hard at all, yeah, I just.. I guess I just panic or something every time it comes up :lol

I have to try the game on kb next. The X360 controller is fine otherwise, but downward attacks? Yeah no. The d-pad is and always will be horrible. I should try if I can get my PC to recognize a PS3 controller.

If you use the [class]
The Barbarian King's shout will destroy any red 'tears' on the screen

Oh lol, well that's that then. All difficulty removed from that fight :v thanks

TheExodu5

Banned
My god this game is addictive.

I've been lvl 37 for over 2 hours now. I'm kinda regretting buying this, the whole charon mechanic is awful. I don't have the time or will to get good enough at this to somehow progress. I literally can't buy anything now.

There's an upgrade you can get so that you give him less gold to enter. 10% per upgrade. You should at least be able to grind (slowly) if ever you get stuck.

Antiwhippy

If you use [class]
the Barbarian King's shout it will destroy any red 'tears' on the screen

Oh wow, wish I knew this earlier.

Well, at least I did it the manlier way. :p

Though seriously, if a barbarian can do this and also have tons of health, than what's the point of the
lich
?

For those who have finished the forest boss:
Has anyone thought of just farming his adds with vamp gear + miner? It's not like he does a lot of damage. Money does start coming easier after him but it's maybe worth a try?

This game is better than cocaine.

Sophia

Demo doesn't apparently reconize anything but XInput (Xbox 360) controllers it seems. My MadCatz arcade stick is undetected, as is my PS3 controller when not set to use XInput.... how disappointing.

Jobbs

Banned
Fuck you, Botis!!

I've spent a lot of time focusing on shinobi and archmage, but really, paladin is pretty good for the rounded stats. can take some hits but also does pretty nice damage. and the block comes in handy if you are good.

What area should I go to 2nd after the first boss is dead? forest? dark area? the other area?

and finally, what do you guys think of the blood equipment? I have the full set now, but wow is that health penaty big.

Wunder

Man just had a really sick run - 1.6k+ on Paladin. Proceeded to then die in the first few rooms on my next few characters >_< I really dislike that you can't check prices/calculate things easily. I wanted to get an upgrade from the tower + 1 cheap blacksmith item but I was off by 5 gold. It was pretty annoying and I can't find a reason for not allowing players to buy or at least calculate everything in one place. Having each item/upgrade increase in price further compounds that problem.

So far the game seems awesome, I had a great time with the demo and was afraid my first few hours would be somewhat of a cakewalk with my experience and although all the enemies are the same, the rooms are pretty crazy and the first dungeon has given me quite a bit of trouble. I'm torn with what I should upgrade though, with such limited resources. I think the upgrade that decreases the gold given to Charon is pretty useless, unless it opens something else up. 910g for 6%? You'll only make a profit after run #100 or something.

bronson

47cDnf0.jpg

no prob be right over

Aaron

Smashing everything, can't seem to break 350 gold without getting extremely lucky and everything costs 400+. Maybe I just suck.
Everything? You've already bought several levels of health, armor pieces, and runes? I've played quite a bit now and still plenty of stuff to buy with 350.

SparkTR

Everything? You've already bought several levels of health, armor pieces, and runes? I've played quite a bit now and still plenty of stuff to buy with 350.

Upgraded my health, armor and classes a bunch, but I've hit a wall.

Look out for chests.

They're pretty much the main reason why I'm still progressing slowly, but it's reliant on luck and doesn't happen often.

I think I just need some practice.

aravuus

I think I just need some practice.

Right on the money. In some ways, it's a bit like Dark/Demon's Souls. Slowly but surely your character gets better and you get better stuff, but in the end, they only help you slightly. Skill is what actually matters.

So yeah, practice, practice, practice.

demidar

Did a raid into the forest, 4750 gold. My Barbarian Queen's death quote "Bury me with money"

God this game is so good.

Antiwhippy

I'm fairly confident In traversing the jungle without being absolutely destroyed now, but the other areas are FUCKED.

Mikey Jr.

So what is the path that you have to take in terms of difficulty? First is the normal tower, then its the forest, then its that maya tower above, then the underworld?

Is that the right sequence?

MadD4mon

I just found the blueprint for the guardian cape. Bumps up the armor of my paladins to over 40. That's a nice bonus but that cape comes with the hefty price of 1600 gold. Nevertheless, I think it is worth it. :)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
So what is the path that you have to take in terms of difficulty? First is the normal tower, then its the forest, then its that maya tower above, then the underworld?

Is that the right sequence?
Yes, if you look at the 'world map' on the wall in the first room there are dots indicating difficulty. You can also pause when enemies are on screen to see their level.

garath

Are you guys locking the tower every time? I'm not and generally just wandering around looking for things. I've found the bosses a few times but never with consistency. Haven't beat one yet unfortunately. Only made it to other areas for a brief moment Lol.

aravuus

Haven't locked once. Then again, I'm not specifically trying to "finish" the game or anything, I'm just wandering around, having fun with it :v

I'll probably start locking it when I'm strong/good enough to just breeze through the castle.

Antiwhippy

Are you guys locking the tower every time? I'm not and generally just wandering around looking for things. I've found the bosses a few times but never with consistency. Haven't beat one yet unfortunately. Only made it to other areas for a brief moment Lol.

Chests don't regenerate when you lock, so I only lock if I want to get a specific fairy chest or boss.

Had my first long run with the Hokage class, I managed to beat the castle's and forest's bosses in a row and then I died, it was really nice !
So far I've tried Paladin, Barbarian, Archmage, Kane and Hokage and Hokage really is the easiest one at least for a begginner like me. The damage bonus is really great as it lets you one-shot a lot of enemies early and the special move is useful for bypassing traps or tricky areas.
The class that gave me the hardest time is without a doubt Paladin, I find its special move to be really worthless. It drains your MP bar pretty quickly and you can't refill it easily since you don't get MP with every kill like Archmage. I think it could use a little tweak but then again I haven't played much atm.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Is the Lich King's HP gain based on max mp? I feel like in my last run I was getting more and more hp/kill the longer I played. It's a shame it maxes out though.

Also how is mp regen determined for spellsword and arch mage? Right now I regen faaaaar more MP with the spellsword which seems completely backwards but maybe that is because of how I've increased my stats so far?

So far Hokage and Spellsword seem like the most powerful classes.

I have one run going currently though with a Lich King that had a spell I hadn't ever seen before (seems really rare?) that just destroys everything.

Mugaaz

Is the Lich King's HP gain based on max mp? I feel like in my last run I was getting more and more hp/kill the longer I played. It's a shame it maxes out though.

Also how is mp regen determined for spellsword and arch mage? Right now I regen faaaaar more MP with the spellsword which seems completely backwards but maybe that is because of how I've increased my stats so far?

So far Hokage and Spellsword seem like the most powerful classes.

I have one run going currently though with a Lich King that had a spell I hadn't ever seen before (seems really rare?) that just destroys everything.

Spellswords regain based on damage dealt. Archmages are based on actual kills.
There are runes to get mana, and hp+mana on enemy kill
There is also a full set of Tier 1 "Blood" gear that gives you HP on kill, but each piece lowers your hp by 30. I find that 3 pieces is enough to give me enough sustain to clear first zone and forest consistently.

If you're having a lot of difficulty, start putting all your money in HP + physical damage. Then buy the life on kill gear from vendor. You can make the Castle/Forest pretty easy fairly quickly this way. The other two areas are still really tough and I can't get past more than a couple rooms.

For the Lich King, I don't know what determines his HP cap, because its way to low to make the class useful at all. Is there some way to raise it? The class seems useless to me.

Even though I've unlocked a ton of classes including the (heavy spoiler)
half-dragon
I still prefer the paladin the most. They have good HP and physical damage, which is all I want to be honest. That said, I'm really starting to see how good the magic based classes are, but they would require heavy investment in the magic stuff.

smr00

Banned
This game is one of the most frustrating goddamn games i have ever played yet i can't stop playing it. It's a wonderful son of a bitch of a game that makes me want to set fire to computer at times.

Goddamn you Cellar Door Games and your brilliance. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Tattooth

I just played the demo for about an hour, really enjoying the game so far. What are the differences between the demo and the full game? Does the demo eventually end, or is it missing features?

smr00

Banned
I just played the demo for about an hour, really enjoying the game so far. What are the differences between the demo and the full game? Does the demo eventually end, or is it missing features?
I think the demo is just the castle portion of the game.

Antiwhippy

Missing 3 of the different environments, as it only has the castle tile set. End when you defeat the castle boss I believe. Also missing quite a number of tilesets from the castle environment. A really limited castle upgrade tree, with quite a few classes missing, Also it does end at the castle boss. Missing quite a number of traits too.

Also really noticeable to me is that the jump sound in the demo is WAAAAAAY louder than in the actual game, which is good because that was distracting.

Holy shit , this game.

Saw the trailer, insta-bought it last night and I'm itching to get back into it. I have pretty much no problems with the game, but I do have some things that would make it better (that are small):

1. Have a way to easily check the history of a certain set of names - You rack up so many characters, it would be nice to be able to sort them. For example, sort them by an entire family of the name ( ex. Sophie - Sophie XII or whatever). Or see only the worst/best runs you've done. It would add a bit more fun to the replays. An in game graveyard with tombstones would be the best, though.

2. Have the last words not be tips. The journals are tips, have all the last words be as good as "bury me with my money".

On my last run I jumped up to a small room that was just cannons. Needless to say my reflexes were not fast enough and I was suffering from being a basketball player.

aravuus

Yeah, the game definitely needs a proper way to view stats of all the past runs. Even simple things would be nice, like how many enemies killed, how much gold gained and how long stayed alive etc

Yeah, the game definitely needs a proper way to view stats of all the past runs. Even simple things would be nice, like how many enemies killed, how much gold gained and how long stayed alive etc

Bingo, that's what I'm looking for. I was even bummed that the previous runs didn't have their armor, just the default. makes it hard to recognize them. Though I had a set of about 6 that were all "useless" because I was locking the castle down and trying to beat a boss.

Nymerio said:
lol I kept wondering why I was loosing coints every time I got hit.
Hedgehog's Curse

Oh god the first time I got that I
dropped over a thousand coins during a boss fight]

Top Bottom