• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone Scoop: Horizon Zero Dawn Netflix series has been Scrapped

MayauMiao

Aloy probably couldn't carry the movie given her wooden personality and the plot of the game was pretty much generic.

The special effects needed to make the show didn't help either.

wipeout364

The showrunner has been accused of abuse and Netflix has seen enough that they don't want to be associated with him anymore, so they cancelled all their dealings with him. That's all this is. Sony will renegotiate with another showrunner, possibly another streaming service, and still make this show.

Like it or not, Horizon is one of their biggest IPs from the last 2 gens. They're not letting it die.
I actually don’t think making movies necessarily helps IP thrive unless the movie is top tier . Also the show runner is actually very important as to whether these things get made.

If it is a Netflix project first the it will likely continue but if it was a personal interest of Steve Blackman’s that Netflix greenlighted because of his success with umbrella academy then it will be dead in the water.

Also why isn’t Sony making this?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I actually don’t think making movies necessarily helps IP thrive unless the movie is top tier . Also the show runner is actually very important as to whether these things get made.

If it is a Netflix project first the it will likely continue but if it was a personal interest of Steve Blackman’s that Netflix greenlighted because of his success with umbrella academy then it will be dead in the water.

Also why isn’t Sony making this?
Sony is producing this. Which is why it's not dead. The guy didn't just decide on his own to make this. Playstation Productions hired him to put the show together. They'll hire someone else and find a new home for it if Netflix doesn't want it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
lol
lmao, even
jMfNnNZ.jpeg

Rough for redheads......but we got superior Lana Lang for their sacrifice.

Fbh

Understandable.
Sony didn't think this through, they'd have needed to change Aloy too much which wouldn't have given them that cross media synergy they want

GgM994E.jpeg

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Can’t they just replace the showrunner instead if scrapping the whole thing?
That's exactly what'll end up happening. If Netflix is no longer interested in the show they paid millions of dollars for, Sony will sell it to someone else.

vivftp

Yeah I honestly don't get all the fanfare about it. The two games were mid at best

The series will still happen, this is just a speed bump along the way.

It's a game franchise that's sold over 30 million copies after 2 main entries and been played by even more due to subscription services and Sony giving away Zero Dawn as part of the Play At Home initiative. If at this point you don't get the fanfare then that's a you problem. Tens of millions of others do get it

keefged4

It's a game franchise that's sold over 30 million copies after 2 main entries and been played by even more due to subscription services and Sony giving away Zero Dawn as part of the Play At Home initiative. If at this point you don't get the fanfare then that's a you problem. Tens of millions of others do get it
Yeah. Maybe I'm just out of touch with the kids thesedays. *shakes fist at cloud*

diffusionx

Gold Member

how many of those 30 million were bundles, the game was packed in everywhere and they put it in a PS5 bundle as soon as they could when the system was severely supply constrained. Both of the games got shown up by other, better open world games when they came out. And I say this as someone who liked ZD, a lot.

horizon and aloy are the fetch of video games.

Last edited:

vivftp

how many of those 30 million were bundles, the game was packed in everywhere and they put it in a PS5 bundle as soon as they could when the system was severely supply constrained. Both of the games got shown up by other, better open world games when they came out. And I say this as someone who liked ZD, a lot.

horizon and aloy are the fetch of video games.

Means nothing whatsoever. The franchise is a massive success and Sony are building on it by striking while the iron is hot.

xrnzaaas

Netflix couldn't give The Witcher a proper budget for it look like a high quality product. Now imagine a series based on games with huge mechanical animals. They would either look awful or the show would be super campy.

Last edited:

Neilg

It'll resume once they find a new showrunner, There's no way they'll scrap the entire thing forever just because of one person.

Depends how far it got - if it was his pitch, and the only resources they'd given to date was a few writing assistants and a concept artist, they'll probably scrap it.
If it was pretty far into storyboarding/casting and planning the shoot, they'll replace him.

vivftp

Depends how far it got - if it was his pitch, and the only resources they'd given to date was a few writing assistants and a concept artist, they'll probably scrap it.
If it was pretty far into storyboarding/casting and planning the shoot, they'll replace him.

Whether they need to start from scratch or not, Sony won't let this die. They're investing heavily into their transmedia projects with about a dozen or so game TV shows and movies in the works. Horizon being their most successful new IP in the last several years won't miss the train, even if it takes a bit longer due to this setback

Toons

Lol some of these takes... Gaf is turning into Era.

The guy appears to be an asshole, which apparently results in the production to be scrapped.

Idk what everyone's aversion to this charactwr is and why they're actively rooting for her snd these games to fail lmao. I've literally never heard anyone in real life tell me anything bad about these games and I plan on playing through them both.

Fake

Why do they keep pushing Aloy as a big thing? She's completely unremarkable, like most current-day game characters.

Sony fanboys are pretty much delusional at this point. I played Horizon Zero Dawn on base PS4 A LOT, the game is between mid and good, but for the different reason.

Beating robots with fucking laser gun is the appealing part of the entire game, but somehow they think nobody give a fuck about fightning dinosaur robots and Aloy is the true reason the game sold a good amount. Now they try to push this ideia of the sales of the game as a factor for somehow Aloy popularity, I mean WTF?

There are even better characters in the game than Aloy, with quite honest is very very boring. Of all new characters Sony have created this gen Aloy is by far the worst.

Top Bottom