• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottentomatoes' top movies of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prompto

Banned
  1. Boyhood
  2. Life Itself
  3. The LEGO Movie
  4. Whiplash
  5. Gloria
  6. The Babadook
  7. Starred Up
  8. Nightcrawler
  9. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  10. Mr. Turner
  11. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  12. Leviathan
  13. The Missing Picture
  14. Jodorowsky's Dune
  15. We are the Best
  16. Snowpiercer
  17. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  18. Birdman
  19. Citizenfour
  20. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

This is based on a films adjusted score.
Full top 100 here

dorkkaos

Man, I really need to watch Nightcrawler, looks really good!

How is Boyhood? It sounds like it might not be my type of movie though.

Definitely agree with Lego Movie being up there :D

Slurmer

Banned

Nightcrawler is great.

My interest in Boyhood lied solely in it being shot over such a long period of time. The film and it's narrative didn't really grab me.

LuuKyK

All the praise for Boyhood comes from the idea and execution of following an actual boy growing up or is it actually a good movie, as in well directed, with an interesting story etc?

I really should still try to see Nightcrawler and Mr. Turner before I can't see them anymore in cinemas here, but I just can't find the time.

And Babadook doesn't even release here I think.

harSon

Banned
I enjoyed Boyhood quite a bit, even though when broken down by its individual elements - I wasn't too impressed. Can't explain why, but whatever.

dorkkaos

Unless it's completely culturally incompatible with you, it's probably your type of movie.

Nightcrawler is great.

My interest in Boyhood lied solely in it being shot over such a long period of time. The film and it's narrative didn't really grab me.

Hmm..I actually didn't know it was shot over that long @_@ (Just checked it, 12 years? damn). I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try haha. It's not like it's a 12 hour long epic

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
No GotG or Winter Soldier but X-Men gets on the list? Ridiculous.

DoFP was a step in the right direction, but it's still too bogged down with the stone-dead boring Magneto/Mystique relationship to outstrip Marvel Studios' offerings this year in the Comic Book Film Wars.

Then again, any list with Boyhood at #1 can't be taken too seriously to begin with. This is why score-ranking lists are pretty silly things at heart.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

DoFP was a step in the right direction, but it's still too bogged down with the stone-dead boring Magneto/Mystique relationship to outstrip Marvel Studios' offerings this year in the Comic Book Film Wars.

Then again, any list with Boyhood at #1 can't be taken too seriously to begin with.
Aww, did the comic book movies you like not make it over a Linklater film?

Metal-Geo

I really, really, really enjoyed the LEGO movie. Both for entertainment reasons and for technical reasons. Hopefully this brings more confidence in Warner's (future) animation plans.

terrene

Banned

News flash: there are movies besides comic book movies. Nobody should care that GotG didn't make a list of critics favorites.

Abounder

Banned

Then again, any list with Boyhood at #1 can't be taken too seriously to begin with. This is why score-ranking lists are pretty silly things at heart.

I thought X-Men was the best comic blockbuster (and if you click the link the Disney MCU movies aren't far behind at all). I also liked Snowpiercer more than TWS. Interesting to see the Marvel Chris duo have such a solid year though with Lego Movie, Snowpiercer, GotG, TWS.

ghostjoke

Banned
All the praise for Boyhood comes from the idea and execution of following an actual boy growing up or is it actually a good movie, as in well directed, with an interesting story etc?

The whole thing is like a series of memories than an outright A > B story. The gimmick (if you want to call it that) is the main draw but (maybe it's just my age at mid-twenties looking back) seeing the transition from six year old to eighteen year was really well done and I found myself relating to a lot of the moments. It is directed by Richard Linklater who has done some of the best, most interesting movies of the past 20 years (Dazed and Confused, Before Trilogy, A Scanner Darkly, Waking Life) so it isn't just some randomer who was trying to stand out; The dude knows how to make a good film. I think it does stand on its own and the gimmick (I really hate using that word) is like just really good presentation that brings it to another level.

Ganondorfo

Its not fair, because movies like Guardians of the Galaxy got more reviews than some movies mentionned in that list.

Crud

Banned
People already crying about GOTG and Winter Solider. This list is fine I guess but If you liked the Marvel movies the list should not bother you too much.

Crud

Banned
not really, x-men was better.

For one the script was alot tighter. There were some scenes in GOTG where nobody knew what they fuck the characters were talking about. And the villain not was I don't even know. The script was poor. DOFP was so much better. Set pieces for the action had real weight and purpose. And the film was intense at some points.They did a good job. Cannot say they same for GOTG at all.

Blader

Boyhood and Life Itself were also my top two of the year.

Didn't really like The Lego Movie all that much tbh. Gorgeously animated, but the humor was really kind of annoying more than anything else.

le bip

Neo Member

To me it's actually the former. I hated that movie so much, and it maddens me seeing how well received it was. It's simply not a good movie, despite the idea that lies behind it.

jordisok

Wow so much I still need to see on that list.

Lego Movie was probably my fav film this year, so pleased for that :). Surprised at Snowpiercer, haven't seen it but thought it was more divisive.

Ridley327

You have no idea how much I'm kicking myself for not catching Life Itself on VOD when it was available. Now, I've got to wait until February for it to be available again.

Blader

You have no idea how much I'm kicking myself for not catching Life Itself on VOD when it was available. Now, I've got to wait until February for it to be available again.

It's actually airing on CNN tomorrow, if you want to catch it there.

I reallllllly need to see Whiplash.

I like Boyhood. The second half kinda falls apart but if you like coming of age movies, you'll enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom