• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottentomatoes' top movies of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nev

Banned
I stopped reading at Lego #3. One of the most boring animation movies I've watched in many years.

neoemonk

I'm with Tsukumo in that Captain America was the best Marvel movie, cinematic universe or not. Guardians was a fun popcorn flick, and Days of Future Past flirted with what made First Class so great but didn't live up to its predecessor.

Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU movie, which is no small feat considering the first Captain America was my least favorite of them all. I loved the paranoid spy movie vibe. It kept me interested throughout.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I've only watched Grand Budapest Hotel, Xmen, and about 10-15 minutes of LEGO on cable which I thought was terrible and just not my cup of tea at all. The only others on this list I might make an effort to watch are Nightcrawler and Boyhood. I'm interested in Nightcrawler for the story/performances and Boyhood just because of the uniqueness of it.

I feel like Xmen was better than Winter Soldier (I actually enjoy Cap1 over WS even though it seems like a lot of folks like 2 better) but I enjoyed GotG more. None of the Xmen movies really hit the mark for me but the ones directed by Singer come the closest. My main issue was probably the future scenes. I would have liked a little more buildup and I hate when they just throw new characters at you without properly introducing them. I know they are in the comics but I'm only familiar with early 90s Xmen so I didn't really know anything about them and so I didn't care when they died. I get that they wanted to add a sense of urgency to those scenes but I still didn't like them.

MoxManiac

DOFP was really, really good but it can't touch GotG or Winter Soldier. Does the list only take into account the RT percentage score?

Ridley327

DOFP was really, really good but it can't touch GotG or Winter Soldier. Does the list only take into account the RT percentage score?

Yes. This pretty much just a simple math dump based on their metrics. That list inm8num2 linked to is a more accurate gauge of critical averages than what RT does.

I added some IMDB information to that list:
  1. Boyhood IMDB 8.4 via 92 thousand votes4
  2. Life Itself IMDB 8.1 via 3 thousand votes
  3. The LEGO Movie IMDB 7.9 via 173 thousand votes
  4. Whiplash IMDB 8.8 via 12 thousand votes
  5. Gloria IMDB 6.9 via 4 thousand votes
  6. The Babadook IMDB 6.9 via 32 thousand votes
  7. Starred Up IMDB 7.5 via 13 thousand votes
  8. Nightcrawler IMDB 8.1 via 58 thousand votes
  9. The Grand Budapest Hotel IMDB 8.1 via 226 thousand votes
  10. Mr. Turner IMDB 7.0 via 4 thousand votes
  11. The Tale of Princess Kaguya IMDB 8.2 via 3 thousand votes
  12. Leviathan IMDB 8.0 via 2 thousand votes
  13. The Missing Picture IMDB 7.4 via 1 thousand votes
  14. Jodorowsky's Dune IMDB 8.1 via 7 thousand votes
  15. We are the Best IMDB 7.2 via 4 thousand votes
  16. Snowpiercer IMDB 7.0 via 110 thousand votes
  17. X-Men: Days of Future Past IMDB 8.1 via 328 thousand votes
  18. Birdman IMDB 8.7 via 22 thousand votes
  19. Citizenfour IMDB 8.3 via 1 thousand votes
  20. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes IMDB 7.8 via 204 thousand votes

As someone who usually doesn't give a damn about documentaries/biographies of artists etc., I'm more in line with the ratings of IMDB (let's say, the >8 ones) over the adjusted percentages of RT. Only Snowpiercer sticks out to me as I would rate it much higher.

There are also three additions to the IMDB top250 list of all time that aren't even in this years RT top20 (Interstellar, Gone Girl, Guardians of the Galaxy). Watched and loved two of them.

Tsukumo

Holy shit you are really passionate about this. Critics didn't like the Marvel movie as much as you. Who cares? There is no objective reason why anyone should prefer them over any other film. Boyhood, X-Men or otherwise. Film is subjective and a lot of critics preferred some other movies.

These lists are great for exposing people to the non-blockbusters. Like Boyhood for example. It's a brilliant example of what film is capable of. If this list exposes even just one person to that film then this list did some real good work.

What you are trying to teach me is exactly what I was trying to prove with my post. Thanks for the condescending reply, and kudos for using my post to make the same point I was trying to. Next time you'll do an even better job if you'll actually read (and acknowledge) the whole thing.
aCheeboment unlocked.

I haven't seen all of these films, but the list looks fine to me. I loved Boyhood and felt that Linklater's directorial choices were extremely well thought out. From the focus on "small" moments to where the film ends to the context of the final lines to characters referencing instances that the audience never actually sees, it was all just brilliant. This list also reminded me that I'd really like to see Whiplash and Life Itself.

This was, however, a great learning experience on the power a list on a website has to make two adults unaffiliated with that website yell at each other.

Kevyt

I'm a white heterosexual male that enjoys a lot of LGBT themed cinema. Off the top of my head, the recent work of Xavier Dolan comes to mind. I don't feel much of a personal connection to that subculture, but that doesn't mean I can't empathize with the characters and their stories. Besides, I love the idea of escaping into a world that doesn't quite fit with my own subjective reality.

To reduce the subtleties of a complex work of fiction down to race, gender, and sexuality is a pretty silly thing to do... It's slightly off-putting that you'd admit to dismissing a film for those reasons.

Those things have a lot of influence in the quality of life that you grow up in. Of course there are always exceptions. Likewise, I'm merely failing to see the grandiosity of this film because the content of it is something I have seen many, many times - at least judging from the trailers and reviews. I don't see how this film is escapism though... perhaps some LGBT films are. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the film doesn't appeal to me, but I will still watch it. Who knows, maybe my opinion will change. However I can't stop looking at the film from a socio-political perspective, and that is okay in my opinion.

Aurongel

Yeah I worded it poorly. I meant I stopped taking it seriously when the worst animation movie I've seen in years is in the top 3.
On the behalf of Rotten tomatoes, I apologize that you had to read about someone else's opinion that differed from your own.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I've seen Lego Movie, Snowpiercer, Grand Budapest, X men and Dawn of the Apes
Wouldn't agree with Snowpiercer being on it
because of that horrendous ending
but everything else is fair game

Still need to see Boyhood, Nightcrawler, The Nightcrawler and Birdman. Maybe Mr Turner

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Drop's absence from so many best of the year lists makes me a sad panda, easily the best film I saw in 2014.

Not

Banned
I gotta say, I probably liked The Lego Movie more than Boyhood, but both reminded me of my childhood like no other movies I've seen.

kiguel182

I still need to see so many of that list!

Whiplash, Nightcrawler, Birdman and Boyhood are my top priority now. If only I had the time...

Linius

Loved reading trough this thread. People getting so offended by not seeing their favourite movies on top never fails to amuse
p1kx90C.png

big ander

No capain Merica, Nymphomaniac or Pompeii??!? This autonomous single critic Mr. Tomatoes is infuriating!
Those things have a lot of influence in the quality of life that you grow up in. Of course there are always exceptions. Likewise, I'm merely failing to see the grandiosity of this film because the content of it is something I have seen many, many times - at least judging from the trailers and reviews. I don't see how this film is escapism though... perhaps some LGBT films are. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the film doesn't appeal to me, but I will still watch it. Who knows, maybe my opinion will change. However I can't stop looking at the film from a socio-political perspective, and that is okay in my opinion.
Okay fair, but this is an exact argument queer artists take umbrage with when used against their works. Just know that your rhetoric is regularly accused of narrow-mindedness.

"Escape" into a character does not necessarily mean a film is "escapism" in the pejorative sense. There are many queer viewers who "escaped" into Mason's story in Boyhood in a hugely satisfactory way.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
  1. Boyhood
  2. Life Itself
  3. The LEGO Movie
  4. Whiplash
  5. Gloria
  6. The Babadook
  7. Starred Up
  8. Nightcrawler
  9. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  10. Mr. Turner
  11. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  12. Leviathan
  13. The Missing Picture
  14. Jodorowsky's Dune
  15. We are the Best
  16. Snowpiercer
  17. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  18. Birdman
  19. Citizenfour
  20. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

This is based on a films adjusted score.
Full top 100 here

OP - Guardians is on the list - looks like you accidentally missed it

looks like the list has changed?

1. Boyhood
  2. The LEGO Movie
  3. Life Itself
  4. Nightcrawler
  5. Whiplash
  6. Gloria
  7. The Babadook
  8. Starred Up
  9. Snowpiercer
  10. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  11. Mr. Turner
  12. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
  13. Leviathan
  14. The Missing Picture
  15. Jodorowsky's Dune
  16. Guardians of the Galaxy
  17. We Are the Best!
  18. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  19. Birdman
  20. Citizenfour

Joni

That change is very important. I have now seen one of the twenty best movies of 2014.
I usually wait for DVDs to get cheap, so I'm always a year or two behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom