• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottentomatoes' top movies of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

I agree with this list. Xmen delivered the most in the comic book front, Planet was amazing, and the rest of flicks are good quality. Thank god GOTG is nowhwere near. It will probably win the Nick Awards and the Disney XD poll, which fits it right.

Ridley327

I know we have a favorite films of 2014 thread, but it would be cool to set up official voting with top 10/15 lists and tally the results (kind of like we do for tv shows).

That thread will go up a little later in the month, to accommodate the wide releases of films that got small qualifying runs at the end of 2014. It's usually the day of or after the Oscar nominations are announced.

inm8num2

That thread will go up a little later in the month, to accommodate the wide releases of films that got small qualifying runs at the end of 2014. It's usually the day of or after the Oscar nominations are announced.

Yea now that you mention it I think I recall a similar schedule from last year. Cheers!

Kallor

First 30 or so minutes of buy hood was super interesting but the movie gets cliche quick. Best part was watching the cast age. Not a great movie over all but not bad ether.

Cheebo

Banned
People shitting on the fact unique fresh films like Boyhood are better reviewed than the likes of a Captain America sequel. Of course.

Ridley327

It's not the order. It's its content.

You are aware of how RT gauges movies right? It's based on the general opinion of the movie, rather than the average numerical score, like Metacritic. That Boyhood has a 98% just means that virtually every critic was positive about the film, which can swing from being up on it to outright admiration.

Dabanton

Seen all the movies on that list bar one. Pretty good list. Great to see 'Gloria' so high, really loved that movie.

jph139

Glad to see Princess Kaguya up there - it deserves the 100% score. Absolutely beautiful film. You could take any single frame from it and hang in on your wall.

Babadook is good but kinda falls apart in the last third (suffers from the usual over-exposure of the big bad), also the sound effects of the Babadook are lol worthy.

That's a great list because I especially love The Babadook, Starred Up, Nightcrawler (these three need to be seen by more people), GBH, CITIZENFOUR, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and Jodorowsky's Dune.

Still need to see Leviathan! That image always tempts me, just need to get some time.
Leviathan_Andrey_Zvyagintsevw_wins_bestfilmaward_Londonfilmfestival2.jpg

xam3l

Didn't answer the question, but ok.

Why would you care so much?

You are aware of how RT gauges movies right? It's based on the general opinion of the movie, rather than the average numerical score, like Metacritic. That Boyhood has a 98% just means that virtually every critic was positive about the film, which can swing from being up on it to outright admiration.

Yes I am aware. And normally I go for RT scores when in come to select a movie. Unfortunately looking back at a list like this, putting all the scores in order doesn't quite look as "real" as it feels. In that prespective I can't say that I agree with the list especially when some on that top 20 are just jerk off material.

Glad the over-rated Ida isn't on the list, but then again WTF is The Babadook doing at #6?!
It was refreshing to watch a horror movie that wasn't laughably stupid, but c'mon it has no business being among the best 10 films of the year!
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

P.S. What is Gloria? never heard of it. Should I?

Ridley327

Yes I am aware. And normally I go for RT scores when in come to select a movie. Unfortunately looking back at a list like this, putting all the scores in order doesn't quite look as "real" as it feels. In that prespective I can't say that I agree with the list especially when some on that top 20 are just jerk off material.

I'm not sure what kind of list you would expect, though. This is always going to lean heavily towards more highbrow fare, since they're going to have much stronger support. The LEGO Movie placing as high as it has is nothing short of miraculous.

Crud

Banned
Why would you care so much?

Well your post was a drive by post you stated that you did not care for the list, and never explained why and you still can't. Jerkoff material... Great explanation man. Nailed it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"My favorite isn't on the list therefore I can't take it seriously."

Guess what: no one cares.

Seems like a good mix of films in a year that could have easily been dominated by successful blockbusters. There are a few films on there I would have included but I am pleased to see a lot I haven't seen since it means I have some great stuff to look forward to.

xam3l

Well your post was a drive by post you stated that you did not care for the list, and never explained why and you still can't. Jerkoff material... Great explanation man. Nailed it.

Are you the Post Police?
Look man... Opinions... everyone has one.

Cheebo

Banned
Are you the Post Police?
Look man... Opinions... everyone has one.
To be fair out of the blue refusal to take a list seriously is curious when nearly every film on the list is pretty commonly on all of the various top 10-20 year end lists you see critics posting. The top 20 above is as mainstream down the middle of a list as there is. It begs the question which films you disagree with and why.

So much stuff to see now that I'm done with exams. I hope that I can still find a theater in Zurich that plays Nightcrawler in English. Birdman or Whiplash haven't even come out here yet.

It's a shame that The Raid 2 is nowhere to be seen. By far the best action movie of 2014.

DOFP over GotG and Cap 2 tho
lc0kaqw.png

Some great movies up there but I feel in a review aggregate list you can take most away from the studio movies which make it like the Lego movie, X-Men, planet of the apes and GoTG (which just missed out on the top 20)

Personally Pride is my film of the year but it'd be hard to write a bad review about Boyhood.

mreddie

Still need to see Babadook and Whiplash. Nice to see LEGO in the top 5 but no Gone Girl, Winter Soldier or Galaxy anywhere? Boo. Boyhood ranked too high and Birdman ranked too low.

xam3l

To be fair out of the blue refusal to take a list seriously is curious when nearly every film on the list is pretty commonly on all of the various top 10-20 year end lists you see people posting. The top 20 above is as mainstream down the middle of a list as there is. It begs m the question which films you disagree with and why.

Some movies does not deserve the praise. Movies like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Days of The Future Past in tops like this doesn't seem right. Down below the list are much better films. Like I said in a previous post looking at the scores in order this doesn't feel right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom