• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottentomatoes' top movies of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Some movies does not deserve the praise. Movies like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Days of The Future Past in tops like this doesn't seem right. Down below the list are much better films. Like I said in a previous post looking at the scores in order this doesn't feel right.

I'm not even sure you're really complaining about how RT ranked them, so much as you're complaining about how many critics liked those films. All RT is doing is plugging in the numbers (overall percentage versus the number of reviews that film got), and spit them back out in order.

xam3l

I'm not even sure you're really complaining about how RT ranked them, so much as you're complaining about how many critics liked those films. All RT is doing is plugging in the numbers (overall percentage versus the number of reviews that film got), and spit them back out in order.

I know how it works, I'm saying that after a year of movies putting them in order, does not represent the reality. Do you agree with that order (excluding the rules and math of RT)? Do you think some movies on top are indeed better than de ones bellow? I don't.

Cannot wait for Whiplash to come out over here. Trailers for it have looked incredible, really excited.

Also need to check out Gloria and Boyhood.

Good to see Starred Up on there. Fantastic movie.

Ridley327

I know how it works, I'm saying that after a year of movies putting them in order, does not represent the reality. Do you agree with that order (excluding the rules and math of RT)? Do you think some movies on top are indeed better than de ones bellow? I don't.

No (especially with Birdman being anywhere in the top 100), but the aim of RT is a lot different from a pure scoring aggregate, so I'm not going to be too pissed off at some of those films being higher than "worthier" ones. It's just math.

xam3l

No (especially with Birdman being anywhere in the top 100), but the aim of RT is a lot different from a pure scoring aggregate, so I'm not going to be too pissed off at some of those films being higher than "worthier" ones. It's just math.

I was about to edit that to my post. Exactly. It lacks some human factor to it. I'm not pissed either do not get me wrong. But I won't take RT's list as the Best of 2014.

Vostro

I really want to watch Nightcrawler. I check if there's any showing but none. sigh I'm always late to the party.

Ridley327

I really want to watch Nightcrawler. I check if there's any showing but none. sigh I'm always late to the party.

It's out on Blu-ray in a few weeks, and I imagine it's going to get an early VOD release, too. You'll get your chance soon enough.

Concept17

I've seen one of the movies on the list. Lego movie, which was awesome.

I don't watch a lot of movies these days however.

Kevin

Babadook....dook.....dook.....dook.

Weird movie. Good, can't really say it's super good.

I went in kind of hyped as so many people calling this the best horror film in years and I found it to be average to good in quality. It didn't really do anything new and wasn't very scary. A very solid but average film in my opinion.

I feel like people are forgetting the days when there were actual masterpiece horror films released fairly often. Now we get nothing but cheap found-footage and demon possession films and that's about it. None of which does anything new or even look good with good special effects.

Lagamorph

South Korean release was 2013. It came out 2014 in the US.

I never even knew it was a Korean film, I just assumed it was an American straight to DVD release since I don't recall ever seeing it in cinemas here in the UK.
Looking it up I just read this on Wikipedia,

On 9 November 2012, The Weinstein Company acquired the distribution rights to Snowpiercer from CJ Entertainment, based on the script and some completed footage, with a plan for wide release in North America, as well as throughout the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. It was released in the US on 27 June 2014 in just eight theaters in selected cities. This delay was caused by Harvey Weinstein, an owner of The Weinstein Company, requesting 20 minutes of footage be cut and opening and closing monologues be added. Bong refused to cut it. American fans anticipating the film were outraged, spawning the Free Snowpiercer petition campaign (founded by cinematic activist Denise Heard-Bashur) demanding the director's cut of the film to be released in the US. Eventually Bong succeeded in getting the film released in an uncut form; however Weinstein retaliated by relegating the film to Radius-TWC, which meant the film only received a limited release in art house cinemas. On 3 July 2014, it was announced that thanks to the positive reviews and buzz the film would get a wider US release and play in over 150 theaters

It honestly still amazes me that Chris Evans and John Hurt are in it as well.

On 9 November 2012, The Weinstein Company acquired the distribution rights to Snowpiercer from CJ Entertainment, based on the script and some completed footage, with a plan for wide release in North America, as well as throughout the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. It was released in the US on 27 June 2014 in just eight theaters in selected cities. This delay was caused by Harvey Weinstein, an owner of The Weinstein Company, requesting 20 minutes of footage be cut and opening and closing monologues be added. Bong refused to cut it. American fans anticipating the film were outraged, spawning the Free Snowpiercer petition campaign (founded by cinematic activist Denise Heard-Bashur) demanding the director's cut of the film to be released in the US. Eventually Bong succeeded in getting the film released in an uncut form; however Weinstein retaliated by relegating the film to Radius-TWC, which meant the film only received a limited release in art house cinemas. On 3 July 2014, it was announced that thanks to the positive reviews and buzz the film would get a wider US release and play in over 150 theaters
Ugh, I forgot about how that went down with the US release. Harvey Weinstein is such a fucking prick, a real cancer of a person. I didn't even care for Snowpiercer that much, but it deserved much better treatment.

Blizzard

Banned
The only two of those I've seen were the LEGO Movie and X-Men, but I will agree with the recommendation on both of them, as long as you have children or grew up with LEGOs yourself.

dabig2

Don't get the whining about GotG. It missed the top 20 by only 3 spots and the difference between it and DoFP is basically the amount of reviews separating each.

bounchfx

Whiplash was fucking incredible, definitely urge anyone who has even a passing interest in music to check it out.

Good list overall it seems, though I would have put Birdman higher

Lagamorph

Ugh, I forgot about how that went down with the US release. Harvey Weinstein is such a fucking prick, a real cancer of a person. I didn't even care for Snowpiercer that much, but it deserved much better treatment.

It does seem a strange decision to cut so much footage when the film isn't exactly all that long in the first place, and I never thought it had any issues with pacing. The only things I could think they would cut would be some of the exploration of the train and backstory of the world. Why cut that and replace it with an opening monologue to do exactly the same thing when you've already got all this footage recorded, edited and ready to go.

A closing monologue to give a bit of closure might have helped though, given how film ruining the ending was.

Prine

Banned
Putting in X-men but not Winter Soldier (or GotG) makes this list irrelevant.
Xmen was better then both. Might be because I don't know nothing about GotG lore but X men heroes where infinitely more interesting and the way Singer tied real world events to the story was masterful. Oh, and Quicksilver scene amazing.

Putting in X-men but not Winter Soldier (or GotG) makes this list irrelevant.

The entire list ranking RT aggregate scores of every movie is "irrelevant" because three superhero movies weren't ranked the way you wanted them to be.

Sometimes I wonder if people on GAF OT watch anything other than superhero flicks. You guys do know there's a shitton of other films comjng out each year, right?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Unsurprised and happy to see Boyhood there.
Surprised and happy to see X-Men there.
Unsurprised and unhappy to see Raid 2 isn't there.
Surprised and unhappy to see Snowpiercer there.

FYIAsHY.gif

Ridley327

In case anyone was wondering, The Raid 2 ended up at a 79% on the Tomato Meter, which wouldn't even put it in the top 100.

Once again, this a math list, and not an opinion piece.

Sometimes I wonder if people on GAF OT watch anything other than superhero flicks. You guys do know there's a shitton of other films comjng out each year, right?

The film of the year voting thread is actually a good indicative that this is not the case at all, although you ca see that there are people who fit that criteria, there are a lot who do not.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Badadook is a mediocre horror movie. It shouldn't be on any top 10 list. It's fine, its just better than all the other horror movies this year I guess.

edited for silly grammar.

Not getting the hate for Snowpiercer. It's a far better action thriller than any of the superhero blockbusters that came out this year. I really enjoyed it, and Bong Joon Ho didnt lose any of his South Korean cinema weirdness or texture in the translation to American films.

faridmon

Boyhood is my film of the year as well. Its very engaging experience that just pulls you in. Fantastic acting by all of the characters and the idea of the kid growing up was fascinating to see.

neoemonk

I really enjoyed Interstellar. It was easily my favorite movie of the year. I understand that people have a variety of opinions, but worse than Planet of the Apes?

Damn.

I really enjoyed Interstellar. It was easily my favorite movie of the year. I understand that people have a variety of opinions, but worse than Planet of the Apes?

Damn.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was easily the best blockbuster released this year, and I liked Interstellar.

AMUSIX

I don't get the love for Boyhood. It's an uncommon approach to movie making, sure, and, for the most part, it was executed very well, but the script just left so much to be desired. Scene after scene just went nowhere. If it were an unscripted reality movie, I'd understand it better, but being written to try to be as uninteresting as reality is just made for a boring back third.

So, yeah, direction's great, the gimmick came off beautifully, the acting was great, but the movie just didn't do anything. I'm not looking for anything over the top, but a little drama would have been nice and would have given me reason to care about what's up on the screen.

Maitiú;145917313 said:
I'm adding myself to the list of people confused about the adoration of the half-baked Snowpiercer.

It has personality, a fairly unique premise, wasn't afraid to go to very dark and surreal places, had lofty ambitions, and had an interesting and--more importantly-- diverse cast. Basically it is unlike almost every action movie that comes out of hollywood.

Snowpiercer also had the worst acting ever.
I have no clue why people say Chris Evans was great in it. He only had one expression in the entire movie. He was very monotone and boring.
Winter Soldier Chris Evans was 100 times better.

Snowpiercer also had the worst acting ever.
I have no clue why people say Chris Evans was great in it. He only had one expression in the entire movie. He was very monotone and boring.
Winter Soldier Chris Evans was 100 times better.

Disagree. Evans was very solid in Snowpiercer (he was solid in Winter Soldier too, but Snowpiercer gave him much better material, especially in the third act).

Winter Soldier was very disappointing after everything I heard about it. It had a promising first half, with fun action beats, nice character moments, and some genuine intrigue...only for all of that to thrown out the window halfway through the second act in favor of hugely telegraphed and cliched plot "twists", incredibly boring and CGI heavy action sequences, and exposition in place character building.

I thought GoTG and especially X-Men were the far better superhero movies this year.

nawwafh

LEGO movie is extremely overrated.. or maybe I'm just not the target audience.. although i do enjoy animated movies a lot...
It was just too loud and colorful for my taste.. and the animations just put me off..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom