• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Silent Hill 2/3. (maybe they haven't aged that well? Don't kill me)

nkarafo

Hear me out before you torch me alive. Originally, i fully played these games on PS2 when they were released. Playing Silent Hill 2 in 2001 was a very "next-gen" experience for me. I don't think there was any other game at the time where you control a light source that casts shadows from both characters and the environments. Soft shadows on top of that!

Anyway, both games impressed me a lot back then. And i always remember SH3 as the creepiest game i ever played. The alternate hospital theme is stuck in my mind since then.

But i never re-played them. So i decided to do just that right after the final PC enhanced version for SH2 was released. And i thought the timing is good since the SH2 Remake is so close.

I played the PC versions. For Silent Hill 2 i used the enhanced edition of course. By far the best version of the game. The same applies for SH3 as well, although there isn't such an elaborate mod as this, it still has a couple of of extensive enough mods that pretty much fix all visual issues when you play on a modern PC, plus they fix the low quality sound of the PC version. Which makes it the best version in the end, although there is no HD textures mod for it like there is for the emulated PS2 version.

Anyway, i replayed them both and i though... eh, they are not as good as i remember them.

Don't get me wrong. The art direction is still top notch. The atmosphere is still second to none. The music is still timeless. And the creepy factor is still up there, especially in SH3. No complaints here.

But they are also video games and when it comes to gameplay/game design, i feel they fall short. My biggest issue is the level design, which is not very good in either game. Most of the time you explore empty boxy rooms and labyrinthine corridors with only a few interesting/detailed/memorable areas to break the monotony. But most of the time you spend exploring way too many long corridors filled with way too many doors on both sides that don't open. And because of the way the (very helpful) map works in these games, you really want to check every single door. For every 1 door that opens (or is locked for later) you have to check 6 or 7 that never do. The sound effect of the broken door knob will forever be etched in your brain.

Keep in mind that i'm talking about the indoor "dungeon" areas, not the outside "open world". I never expected to be able to enter many buildings. That's true to modern games as well.

I guess i have to blame old tech and standards, many games seem to had their fair share of boxy rooms/empty corridors back then. Hence the "haven't aged well" part. I didn't have that much of an issue in 2001/2003.

Speaking of that, there's also the issues with the camera. Personally i rarely complain about bad cameras in games but in SH2/3 they really do get in the way. The games play like Resident Evil, with tank controls (which is fine) and some pre-set camera positions but it's not static. Unlike RE, here the camera moves and most of the time it's controllable but those camera controls are very awkward. And whenever a new scene loads the game has the tendency on focusing at the front of your character instead of the back... You know, so you can see things in front of you? There are many instances where the camera struggles to move behind you as you manually try to move it while blindly running to the unknown.

Oh and the 3D models in SH2 are a bit awkward both in looks and animations. Especially the way James looks when he runs. But in SH3 the models are vastly improved.

I didn't mind the combat. And the puzzles were OK (played on medium difficulty).

I think the upcoming remake is, at least, doing a good job fixing those issues (from what i have seen so far in one gameplay video). The level design now feels much more interesting with many more detailed/handcrafted indoor rooms and there should be no camera issues.

Do you agree with this? Also, do you care? Because they are horror games after all and they still nail all the aspects that matter in the genre (atmosphere, sound, lore, creepiness, etc).

Last edited:
Youre Dead To Me GIF by asianhistorymonth

Do you agree with this? Also, do you care?
I played SH2 after the movie and I just played SH3 for the first time not long ago.

...I think if we put the games in the context of current game desing/production values etc, we could ask:

are modern game design, graphics sensibilities, and practices enhancing the experience significantly?...

I would say there is clear benefit in some aspects, but not at the level of games taking 6-8 years to make compared to the alleged 9-24 months SH3 was in development.

and think about this. SH1-4 feel like "auteur" games... we can't have games like that in the AAA space unless if your name is Hideo Kojima.

bundylove

I kinda agree as i tried the ps3 collection sh3 and i gave up in the first hour due to the camera .

But i have fond memories of sh1to 3 so i am excited for thr remake and hope they will aslo remake one and three.

But when it come to the room....i have nothing good to say about that game. Getting the shaft ending after strugling through all the invincible ghosts was just a big slap in the face and i never played it ever since and never will.

Some say its the best but to me its the worst of all.

no such thing as a game not aging well, that is dumb when people say that. if a game was good before then its still good.
Correct, otherwise it would not arrive at this point. We get more responsive controls and more quality-of-life features for years. Its not like gamers who played it back then go, "oh, this gameplay sucks, oh well, I'll wait 20 years until they make the gameplay better!"

It's ok OP, I have left scathing reviews before on Xbox 360/PS3 games that I missed out on, in the 52 games/backlog thread. Some of those games people have heavy nostalgia for but I have none for since I skipped that generation playing MMOs.

Things age poorly sometimes. It happens. 🤷‍♂️

no such thing as a game not aging well, that is dumb when people say that. if a game was good before then its still good.
Sometimes we make our own fun because it was all we had back then. I had fun mashing buttons with Shaq Fu on SNES with friends but I wouldn't call it a good video game. I would instead call that making the best of a bad situation (since that was all we had to play at that moment).

Nostalgia is the key factor that tricks someone into thinking that Shaq Fu is a good video game.

Last edited:

grvg

I thought 2 was amazing, but 3 was extremely lacklustre. Played them 1 years ago exactly (meant to play them spooky month but started a bit early)

I only played 3 as a youngster. Listened to the soundtrack a lot, though.

Generic

Hear me out before you torch me alive. Originally, i fully played these games on PS2 when they were released. Playing Silent Hill 2 in 2001 was a very "next-gen" experience for me. I don't think there was any other game at the time where you control a light source that casts shadows from both characters and the environments. Soft shadows on top of that!

Anyway, both games impressed me a lot back then. And i always remember SH3 as the creepiest game i ever played. The alternate hospital theme is stuck in my mind since then.

But i never re-played them. So i decided to do just that right after the final PC enhanced version for SH2 was released. And i thought the timing is good since the SH2 Remake is so close.

I played the PC versions. For Silent Hill 2 i used the enhanced edition of course. By far the best version of the game. The same applies for SH3 as well, although there isn't such an elaborate mod as this, it still has a couple of of extensive enough mods that pretty much fix all visual issues when you play on a modern PC, plus they fix the low quality sound of the PC version. Which makes it the best version in the end, although there is no HD textures mod for it like there is for the emulated PS2 version.

Anyway, i replayed them both and i though... eh, they are not as good as i remember them.

Don't get me wrong. The art direction is still top notch. The atmosphere is still second to none. The music is still timeless. And the creepy factor is still up there, especially in SH3. No complaints here.

But they are also video games and when it comes to gameplay/game design, i feel they fall short. My biggest issue is the level design, which is not very good in either game. Most of the time you explore empty boxy rooms and labyrinthine corridors with only a few interesting/detailed/memorable areas to break the monotony. But most of the time you spend exploring way too many long corridors filled with way too many doors on both sides that don't open. And because of the way the (very helpful) map works in these games, you really want to check every single door. For every 1 door that opens (or is locked for later) you have to check 6 or 7 that never do. The sound effect of the broken door knob will forever be etched in your brain.

Keep in mind that i'm talking about the indoor "dungeon" areas, not the outside "open world". I never expected to be able to enter many buildings. That's true to modern games as well.

I guess i have to blame old tech and standards, many games seem to had their fair share of boxy rooms/empty corridors back then. Hence the "haven't aged well" part. I didn't have that much of an issue in 2001/2003.

Speaking of that, there's also the issues with the camera. Personally i rarely complain about bad cameras in games but in SH2/3 they really do get in the way. The games play like Resident Evil, with tank controls (which is fine) and some pre-set camera positions but it's not static. Unlike RE, here the camera moves and most of the time it's controllable but those camera controls are very awkward. And whenever a new scene loads the game has the tendency on focusing at the front of your character instead of the back... You know, so you can see things in front of you? There are many instances where the camera struggles to move behind you as you manually try to move it while blindly running to the unknown.

Oh and the 3D models in SH2 are a bit awkward both in looks and animations. Especially the way James looks when he runs. But in SH3 the models are vastly improved.

I didn't mind the combat. And the puzzles were OK (played on medium difficulty).

I think the upcoming remake is, at least, doing a good job fixing those issues (from what i have seen so far in one gameplay video). The level design now feels much more interesting with many more detailed/handcrafted indoor rooms and there should be no camera issues.

Do you agree with this? Also, do you care? Because they are horror games after all and they still nail all the aspects that matter in the genre (atmosphere, sound, lore, creepiness, etc).
Agree 100%. The remake will fix SH2.

I like how there's people out here trying to somehow paint these classic games as dated and unplayable all the while trying to praise the remake from a Western studio as if it will somehow replace the original. Some strange takes lately as this game gets closer to release. Pre-orders must be bad.

this's correct, op, & it doesn't just apply to horror games. atmosphere, sound lore, & other well-done design decisions are the things that allow these games to retain their value. rarely is this true of the gameplay (tho it occasionally happens), so you're correct, that's not so much of where the attraction's to be found. quite to the contrary, they can prove obstructive, but, as long as they don't make the games completely unplayable? it's just a matter of bearing down in the same way you did back then, eh? which, unfortunately, as one gets older, becomes more & more challenging...

ShadowNate

They're both good games (I prefer SH2) and they do have some flaws in their design and gameplay. I could overlook or power through those (annoying as some of them might be, eg. the camera), but I can see how one could get hung up on them and give up.

Still I do think they should be preserved and be accessible (as in being able to find them (ideally purchase them) and play them) to gamers in their original state. Maybe it'll get harder to replicate the exact conditions they were meant to be played in or the original gamer setup of the era (PS2, old TV), but I'd never want them to be fully replaced by their remake or enhanced counterpart.

I do welcome projects that bring modern graphics and game design features through the remakes (as long as they don't drop or make worse stuff that already worked perfectly, eg. the map system, and they don't completely botch the gameplay, story and characters), but I am always wary of some rando in the team taking a figurative pen and striking through dialogue quotes and scenes they don't believe they fit with modern sensitivities. And this has happened far too many times now to expect otherwise.

RaduN

So there is a PC release that fixes all missing graphics (post processing, blur, dense fog, particles, etc) and perf. in both games?
Never knew that, i though it was like the MGS, DMC, Re4 hd collections, completely fucked up graphically compared to ps2 originals.

Any resource with comparisons and such?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Can’t speak for 3, but I played SH2 on original hardware around 2014 and I thought, that’s it? The greatest horror game of all time? Really?

Both SH1 and 2 control horribly, and stilted gameplay can hardly be used against them today. Also, I still think there’s some charm in awkward controls, and there’s times when they’re even intentional (think about the Team Ico games). Still, combat was never SH’s forte, and in 2 it’s especially bad, even worse than in 1 in boss fights.

The game has great atmosphere, but I’ll maintain to the day I die that SH1 was much better in that department.
Anyway, what disappointed me most is that SH2’s themes are slightly less subtle than a sledgehammer. James’s sexual frustration couldn’t be exposed more openly if the game had genitalia-shaped monsters like Shin Megami Tensei, and what he did - what’s supposed to be the game’s big revelation - was obvious to me long before I inserted that video tape into the VCR. By the way, the VHS thing was already in SH1, and it was played so much better.

As an adventure game and a mystery, SH1 in my opinion played with expectations so incredibly well, it set a bar so high I’m not sure SH2 ever manages to top it. I enjoy the exploration parts of SH1 and 2, the clever map, the puzzles that really make you think and aren’t the braindead stuff you’d find in Resident Evil at the time. And I can concede that SH2 was technically very impressive in its day, that it had everything it needed to impress an audience of people freshly out of their teens, and that it benefited from being part of the amazing 2001 PS2 lineup. But it didn’t age that well, and it’s not as good as SH1.

nkarafo

So there is a PC release that fixes all missing graphics (post processing, blur, dense fog, particles, etc) and perf. in both games?
Never knew that, i though it was like the MGS, DMC, Re4 hd collections, completely fucked up graphically compared to ps2 originals.

Any resource with comparisons and such?
For Silent Hill 2 there's this:

It completely fixes everything and on top of that it improves on many things, like the 2D images that appear when you inspect something and FMVs.. It also supports 60fps with no bugs. It's by far the best way to play the game and it's easy to install.

For Silent Hill 3 it's a bit more complicated. You have to manually setup a couple of mods. Check for the "Essential Improvements" here:

This one isn't at the same level as the SH2 mod but it does fix most of the issues.

I played both games to completion with those and they worked fine for me.

Aion002

Gold Member
I agree.

I really liked Silent Hill 1, but I never cared for 2... 3 was ok and 4 was boring.

Without Keiichiro Toyama the series became bland in my opinion.

Also, I replayed recently Siren 1 and 2 and they're still great.... Janky... But nonetheless great.

peronmls

Silent Hill and Siren has actual gameplay compared to modern games that just have you walk around. And substance. Unlike Until Dawn. It’s so fun trying to find your way out and clues to proceed through the game. SH gameplay is still very satisfying.
This is why originality is failing. Because everyone wants the same boring over the shoulder and action in every single shooter. People now and days find anything to complain about. Silent Hill is not action.

Last edited:

Skifi28

What was considered good back then might be considered bad today, sensibilities change over time. It's the reason that after decades some pieces of media are forgotten and other considered classics. It's the reason that any game made with the current woke sensibilities in mind will be completely irrelevant in 10-20 years while a mario or astro bot game will still be forever talked about.

I've said the same recently. SH2 just isnt fun to me anymore. I love the vibe but I don't enjoy playing it. I'll resort to YT whenever I want to revisit SH2.

It's also absurdly hyped. The game is a dime for sure but the way people treat it like it's the GOAT is absurd. Homecoming has better gameplay than SH2. SH2 is worth experiencing for everything other than the actual gameplay.

Dorago

Going back to old games is a shock because of how bad the controls, menus, save system, etc is.

While the old games aren't unplayable they can be tough to get into because of the time investment in learning how their systems operate.

That's why I like remakes that add auto saving, streamline the menus, and simplify the controls.

Old games DO have very strong art, music, and story presentations because that was the focus of the game production rather than the interface elements.

Muffdraul

I was just thinking "SH2 and 3 seemed fine to me last time I played them," thinking it was just a couple years ago.

Then I realized... it was 2011.

Dead Space 2 came out and I thought, "Neat how Dead Space 1 was very Resident Evilish and Dead Space 2 is kinda Silent Hilly. I think I'll play SH 1 thru 3 again right now." I replayed those first three SHs so many times, I still have them pretty much memorized. God damn I can't wait for SH2.

cireza

Gold Member
Because of all the fuss around it, I played Silent Hill 2 for the first time a few years ago. It was on Xbox OG I think. Completed the game, enjoyed the atmosphere. But the level-design, gameplay, and overall things you do were as uninteresting as it gets. It wasn't fun to play. You can really feel the roots of these cinematic games that flooded the video-game landscape. Feels right at home on Playstation consoles lol.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Can’t speak for 3, but I played SH2 on original hardware around 2014 and I thought, that’s it? The greatest horror game of all time? Really?

Both SH1 and 2 control horribly, and stilted gameplay can hardly be used against them today. Also, I still think there’s some charm in awkward controls, and there’s times when they’re even intentional (think about the Team Ico games). Still, combat was never SH’s forte, and in 2 it’s especially bad, even worse than in 1 in boss fights.

The game has great atmosphere, but I’ll maintain to the day I die that SH1 was much better in that department.
Anyway, what disappointed me most is that SH2’s themes are slightly less subtle than a sledgehammer. James’s sexual frustration couldn’t be exposed more openly if the game had genitalia-shaped monsters like Shin Megami Tensei, and what he did - what’s supposed to be the game’s big revelation - was obvious to me long before I inserted that video tape into the VCR. By the way, the VHS thing was already in SH1, and it was played so much better.

As an adventure game and a mystery, SH1 in my opinion played with expectations so incredibly well, it set a bar so high I’m not sure SH2 ever manages to top it. I enjoy the exploration parts of SH1 and 2, the clever map, the puzzles that really make you think and aren’t the braindead stuff you’d find in Resident Evil at the time. And I can concede that SH2 was technically very impressive in its day, that it had everything it needed to impress an audience of people freshly out of their teens, and that it benefited from being part of the amazing 2001 PS2 lineup. But it didn’t age that well, and it’s not as good as SH1.
I tried to play SH1 a few times but not when it was released. First time was in mid 2000's. Last time, in 2024, i used an accurate emulator + a very good CRT shader.

But it still haven't managed to grab me. I always just give up in the school area.

I think the reason is purely technical. The game takes place in a foggy town and more than half of the time you explore dark places with a flashlight. But the fog looks like how it does in most PS1 games that try to mask the pop-up. And the lighting effects are not different either. I just feel like this very limited tech doesn't bring the intended art direction to the surface. Which is why i always preferred the Resident Evil games during that time. The pre-rendered environments, while limited, were a better way for these horror games to shine.

But on PS2, the complex fog effects and soft shadow casting tech in Silent Hill 2 pretty much elevate the game enough for me to stick to the end. I know graphics aren't suppose to be the most important thing in games, especially older games, but the horror genre is an exception. Horror is a very audiovisual thing. These particular visual effects add a lot to the atmosphere and creepiness and give the games a very unique look and personality. Horror games in general rarely excel in the gameplay aspect so the visual (and sound) aspect is what's important here IMO. And SH2/3 both excel in visuals/art direction.

But if SH2/3 games excel where it matters then why did i make this thread? Surely gameplay isn't that important, right? Well i suppose i'm harsh, but those corridors and camera really did bother me and it's something that could be vastly improved.

bender

What time is it?
Because of all the fuss around it, I played Silent Hill 2 for the first time a few years ago. It was on Xbox OG I think. Completed the game, enjoyed the atmosphere. But the level-design, gameplay, and overall things you do were as uninteresting as it gets. It wasn't fun to play. You can really feel the roots of these cinematic games that flooded the video-game landscape. Feels right at home on Playstation consoles lol.
supernatural-spn.gif

something that occurred to me:

a lot of the charm of older japanese video games/series stems from the weird 'japanese devs channeling western culture' effect. iow, much of it is unintentional/inadvertent, & this's what gives the works their very distinctive, always slightly off, atmospheres. i suspect that deadly premonition, among many other things, was something of a deliberate parody of this kind of charm, which, sadly, is very hard to create intentionally. it's this accidental charm that first won me over to japanese video games. there's really nothing else quite like it...

peronmls

Things like Isaac being haunted by the ghost of his dead girlfriend, exploring empty apartments, an elementary school... it totally reminded me of SH1 and 2.
There is no reason behind Issacs girlfriend stalking/haunting him other than to protect the marker. Dead Space has nothing to do with one’s inner fears. In fact, Issac hardly seems afraid of anything in those games. It’s nothing like Silent Hill other than having a cult. It’s best to not make successors off a checklist.

Muffdraul

There is no reason behind Issacs girlfriend stalking/haunting him other than to protect the marker. Dead Space has nothing to do with one’s inner fears. In fact, Issac hardly seems afraid of anything in those games. It’s nothing like Silent Hill other than having a cult. It’s best to not make successors off a checklist.
Okay.

Disagree about the gameplay and controls of SH2 ...i recently played the crappy xbox 360 version and it controls just fine. The tank controls work well, just like they did in resident evil. They suit the type of game and pacing perfectly. They're responsive. You just don't like this control style

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Things like Isaac being haunted by the ghost of his dead girlfriend, exploring empty apartments, an elementary school... it totally reminded me of SH1 and 2.
Aside for what was already stated (this being at best a surface similarity that has no thematic resemblance to SH at all) - DS2 is basically Uncharted 2 - in space - with more Zombies and less platforming. It's about as far away from being 'like' SH2 as it gets.

Going back to old games is a shock because of how bad the controls, menus, save system, etc is.

While the old games aren't unplayable they can be tough to get into because of the time investment in learning how their systems operate.

That's why I like remakes that add auto saving, streamline the menus, and simplify the controls.

Old games DO have very strong art, music, and story presentations because that was the focus of the game production rather than the interface elements.
Sometimes it's just the gameplay and not so much dated mechanics. Like you realize it's just a sloppy game and monotonous.

I only say that because I never I stopped playing old titles. Take something like deep fear on Saturn, it's dated as hell and would be a shock, it's also nowhere at the level of brilliance that is SH2, but I'd play deep fear all day over SH2 because the gameplay is more entertaining.

bender

What time is it?
Sometimes it's just the gameplay and not so much dated mechanics. Like you realize it's just a sloppy game and monotonous.

I only say that because I never I stopped playing old titles. Take something like deep fear on Saturn, it's dated as hell and would be a shock, it's also nowhere at the level of brilliance that is SH2, but I'd play deep fear all day over SH2 because the gameplay is more entertaining.

I know entertaining doesn't mean fun, but I do kind of think that's the problem with trying to modernize Silent Hill 2. The focus of the game isn't combat and you can excuse the clunky movement, melee, and gun combat in that James is an everyman and not well equipped to deal with the horrors in front of him. I'm not saying that the clumsiness of how he controls was intentional (tank controls were in vogue at the time) nor was the combat intentionally bad (but I'm sure Team Silent could have borrowed or asked for help from Kojima and Co. for a better feeling experience), but if it did control like a dream and if combat was up to modern standards, you'd probably rob the game of a lot of the tension and atmosphere. Whether intentional or a happy accident, the systems in the game encourage you to avoid enemies more often than not, which in turn makes them scary. Being able to effectively dispatch enemies is going to quickly erase any tension.

Muffdraul

Aside for what was already stated (this being at best a surface similarity that has no thematic resemblance to SH at all) - DS2 is basically Uncharted 2 - in space - with more Zombies and less platforming. It's about as far away from being 'like' SH2 as it gets.
Oh... I guess you weren't kidding with that 'triggered' emoji.

I apologize for allowing a few things in Dead Space 2 to kinda remind me of Silent Hill a little bit. I won't let it happen again, sir.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Oh... I guess you weren't kidding with that 'triggered' emoji.

I apologize for allowing a few things in Dead Space 2 to kinda remind me of Silent Hill a little bit. I won't let it happen again, sir.
Ok in all seriousness though - story and mechanics aside - DS2 was the game that took the series into all the Hollywood set-piece spectacle that Uncharted games popularized. I still like the game (because it's Dead Space, in the end) but it was a sour note for series to end on.
And while I actually agree with the op that some elements of SH2 have not aged gracefully - its central design principle was all about restraint, not spectacle of DS2 - so it just came off really weird as a comparison.

Muffdraul

Ok in all seriousness though - story and mechanics aside - DS2 was the game that took the series into all the Hollywood set-piece spectacle that Uncharted games popularized. I still like the game (because it's Dead Space, in the end) but it was a sour note for series to end on.
And while I actually agree with the op that some elements of SH2 have not aged gracefully - its central design principle was all about restraint, not spectacle of DS2 - so it just came off really weird as a comparison.
Yeah, ~I'm~ the weird one here.

Top Bottom