• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: BioShock 4’s setting and time period have reportedly leaked

abcdrstuv

Banned
The setting seems way less insane than in the previous games. I'm just interested in the gameplay and if it's actually a gaas kind of game for me to ignore.
They could do above ground, underwater, "igloo"/ice architecture, tech for frozen buildings, tech for localized heating, outdoor spaces, building down into the ice, building alongside, on top of, into mountains etc. The location has a ton of potential for that reason but I don't know how well they'll realize it.

xrnzaaas

They could do above ground, underwater, "igloo"/ice architecture, tech for frozen buildings, tech for localized heating, outdoor spaces, building down into the ice, building alongside, on top of, into mountains etc. The location has a ton of potential for that reason but I don't know how well they'll realize it.
Well okay, if you think harder about it they can in fact make something cool based on this setting. We'll see.

Fbh

Gold Member
Is Ken Levine involved with this or is it a completely new team?

Either way sounds interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of ice/winter settings but then again almost no one likes water levels either and Rapture was amazing.

Salz01

Really want another Bioshock, and current gen (ps5/Series X) only. It would look nuts. Not too thrilled about 60‘s setting though. Deathloop kind of ruined that era for me now.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So likely to release before motherfucking system shock remake I backed during their kickstarter in 2016?

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Curious what the Societal structure theme will be. We’ve had Objectivism, Collectivism, and Ultra-Nationalism (or whatever you wanna call Infinite).

Since Bioshock 2 sort of was the opposite of 1, I wonder if they’d do an inverse of Infinite by making it themed around Globalism. May be interesting but I’m guessing the chances are probably slim.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

He has a good relationship with video games chronicles. Him citing them earlier this year is how I know about them.

Eurogamer also cited him, which is nice to see. Of course, there's no chance outlets like IGN and Gamespot will extend the same courtesy. They're just going to report this as if they got the scoop themselves.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The real question is which toxic political ideology is the microsociety based on, and if there isn't an answer to that question, it really isn't Bioshock.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I seem to recall a game made by the creators of MYST set in ice world. Was that a dream? Has the game already been released? Was it repurposed into Bioshock? Maybe it was Crystals and not ice.
Did a quick google it was called Firmament. Looks like Bioshock logo. Game never funded it seems.

Firmament, like every Cyan game, is made of up of different worlds that you travel between.

Firmament was funded on Kickstarter and is still in development but has had a rocky run. They weren't really happy with how it was shaping up, so they nuked it back into pre development and did the Myst remake. Now it's back in real dev again but it's years behind schedule.

Hope the story is like Infinite and it has to be another "controversial" setting or it's not Bioshock.

Levine dropped Bioshock IP and let Take Two handle it because of the toll it took on him and the team developing a large scale game. Didn't sound like he enjoyed AAA development at all.
I remember the dev and marketing he was doing for Infinite and he looked like he had two brand new twins or something.

Wildebeest

The question is, are writers for games viewed as "intellectual" by the gaming press dumb enough to confuse the Aurora Borealis for the Aurora Australis? Probably. It scans.

V4skunk

Banned
Honestly a better sounding idea than space. Although that could work too.

This sounds more interesting imo
It's also a good setting because of the conspiracy theories on the South Pole like ancient ruins and the rumoured unethical genetic experiments that supposedly go on there.

Notabueno

Banned
This sounds wack and horrible.

Also has nobody here played Deathloop? This is the exact same setting...

Last edited:

Wildebeest

The short story "Epistle 3" by Marc Laidlaw was set on a ship called Hyperborea in Atlantis. Marc is famous for writing the fluff for Half-Life, although I am sure the story "Epistle 3" is totally unrelated to that franchise, which he does not own or control. Curiously similar in mixing up the boreal (lit of the northern regions) and the far southern continent of Antarctica.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So likely to release before motherfucking system shock remake I backed during their kickstarter in 2016?

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Are you trying to say you are as dumb as Trump for backing that game? That's just one poor decision compared to a lifetime of disgusting disrespect for pretty much anyone who trusted him and utter stupidity that made him talk like a poorly written AI. You can't be that fucking stupid.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sounds legit, hopefully its more like bioshock 1, 2, prey and alot less like infinte
Infinite was great. Had best story. Blew my mind !
The game meet my expectations. not sure why everyone stated to hate it years later. The high scores were deserved at the time

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Are you trying to say you are as dumb as Trump for backing that game? That's just one poor decision compared to a lifetime of disgusting disrespect for pretty much anyone who trusted him and utter stupidity that made him talk like a poorly written AI. You can't be that fucking stupid.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

No?

Shut0wen

Banned
Infinite was great. Had best story. Blew my mind !
The game meet my expectations. not sure why everyone stated to hate it years later. The high scores were deserved at the time
Nah i loved infinte as well and same as you the story and dlc story blew my mind as well, just wish it was like the first 2 games instead of going for a linear approach infinte went for

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I seem to recall a game made by the creators of MYST set in ice world. Was that a dream? Has the game already been released? Was it repurposed into Bioshock? Maybe it was Crystals and not ice.
Did a quick google it was called Firmament. Looks like Bioshock logo. Game never funded it seems.

Yes, all kinds of games take place in "ice worlds", it's not really relevant. You even googled it but that's what you came up with? It's still in development with frequent updates and did get (co-)funded via Kickstarter reaching $1,433,161. Why would it have anything to do with any Bioshock game?

Last edited:

ButchCat

I think people forget that Bioshock 1 was set in 1960 I wouldn't be surprised if there were some references to the first game considering the timeline (assuming the rumour is real).

Even though Rapture was founded in 1945 it didn't finish construction until 1951 but they still went with the 1920s Art Deco style. I'm curious if the art style they choose was more in line with the period or less contemporary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom