• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy XIV Mobile Is in Development

Draugoth

Gold Member
ff-14-minha-esposa-yshtola_q3d3.jpg

eXputer has learned that Final Fantasy XIV Mobile is currently in development. As per the site's sources, bringing the popular MMORPG to mobile devices is a joint project of Square Enix and Tencent.

In 2018, both companies signed a letter of intent to form a strategic alliance, and in 2021, Yosuke Matsuda, then President of Square Enix, confirmed that some projects were underway. To date, none of these projects have been officially announced.

Earlier this year, Reuters reported that in December 2023, Tencent canceled an unannounced mobile game based on Square Enix's popular franchise 'NieR' due to challenges in finding a compelling monetization model.

Source

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
I hope this rumor is true. The console controls for this game always felt atrocious to me so for an MMO like this it could work on a phone, given some adjustments.

Kumomeme

this sounds doubtful on many angle

spin off perhaps? or the source mistakenly XI with XIV.

the game indeed used to be developed to run on PS3 which is on paper high end smartphones already far exceed the consoles specs but even PS4 still has issue running the game especially on area where atleast dozens of player at a time. not all range of smartphone CPU performance are equal. then recently the game just undergo new visual updates and minimum requirement are increased. console like PS4 and Series S also has issue that lead to dynamic resolution being used. new content are coming with higher quality texture while the devs are in process of replacing older low res texture along the upcoming way. doubt they would suddenly advocate to lower spec mobile port amidst of this. even there is uproar among pc fanbase when they increase the minimum requirement a little bit for latest expansion. the initial PS3 version even held back the game for decade. even recent expansion has issue with Xbox Series S/X client side.

also doubt their monthly sub would go anywhere. it is partly play vital role in maintaining the game quality and success. im suprise if monthly sub has a place on mobile games space. correct me if im wrong.

some other question come to mind is how the crosshotbar system would function on touchscreen? the game has excellent controller system but skill number growing by each expansion and already are complaint from player base that jobs has too much skill right now. players usually would has atleast 16-20 skill button on screen at a time. unless mobile gamepad is a mandatory requirement. there is others variety of UI like party health bar that can go to atleast 24 at a times. imagine fit all that on smaller screen especially amidst higher level of raid duty.

cant-see-small-eyes.gif

on paper the nature of the casuals element and the game revolve around doing quick daily once per day in short time might sounds fit for portable device with limited gameplay time due to battery power but even daily dungeon run could take around atleast 15-20 minute per run so how much or how long player can keep playing per day? base game final dungeon run take around half and hours if i not mistaken. before it used to be an hour and it still has unskipable cutscene today.

and most importantly is there is hundreds of hours of cinematic main storyline NEED to be done. tons of dialogue to read too. despite the 'MMORPG' label this game is still single player at heart. not count side quest yet. even Death Stranding and Resident Evil arent doing well on apple smartphone if i not mistaken and this game has far more single player content than those game.

i'll be surprise if this rumors are true but there is tons of issue need to be addressed from performance wise, gameplay and the game design nature aspect itself which is i doubt the devs team would bend their philosophy for sake of mobile markets. especially they are doing very well right now. there is possibilities of Tencent would develop their own version of XIV that separate from the main game that cater to mobile market which is also i would be suprise if Yoshi-P is onboard with that.

Last edited:
The source for the leak is Kurakasis so this might actually be legit.

Just hope they don't make the characters in chibi style like they did with FF15 mobile edition.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I am completely baffled by this, they have gone out of their way to get every single player mainline game on current platforms. Why did they stop with ONE left?

The idea that it's "because FNC was the Black sheep of the series," is nonsense, too, when they willingly release ports of FFI-III which I can't imagine anyone born after 2005 who will play them without their eyes immediately bleeding because it's not cutting edge tech0rz. (I like them all, fuck it)

Alternatively, it could be linked to just how fucking weird the PS3 was from a dev standpoint. It's probably my favorite Sony gen, but it seems like the vast majority of it's catalogue is stuck eternally on a 20 year old piece of plastic.

Regardless. I wish to perform Army of One on palette swapped high level Aster Protoflorians in the sprawling corridors of EdenHall and sacrificing my Tribal lesbian bitches to the great God of nihilism so the moon doesn't fall and my sis stops being stoned. In MODERN DAY GLORY.

wvnative

This vid is an interesting take on the cancelation of the mobile port. Even if he is wrong I thought the video was worth a watch.

hmm... if they do remake it, would it be a modern online game or a single player game?

After falling in love with 14, i decided to try 11 last year...was a bit too archaic for me. But would jump on a modern version, online or off.

Top Bottom