• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) Next Nintendo console is called Nintendo Switch 2

Natsuko

I thought it was going to be called Nintendo Switch 3 or Switch The Sequel.

Nah, Switch U.

wii u bowser GIF

BlackTron

If this is true, means Nintendo as we knew and loved truly died with iwata.

I don't know about that. If Switch 2 is very safe, even if little more than a beefed up switch, it doesn't mean they will never do anything different again. For example, Gamecube was pretty much Nintendo 64 2, and it was glorious, nothing wrong with that. They tend to totally use up an idea, when it stops working or they botch it, they just keep trying and innovate like mad until striking gold again.

Meanwhile they still try to harness their wacky side with Switch accessories, Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, it's nothing like a bold new system but they didn't let that part of them die (so far) just because they were printing this tablet thing.

StereoVsn

Super Nintendo Switch Entertainment System or SNSES would have been my choice!

Or Switch U Switch aka SUS console (my kids’ choice).

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Let's not repeat the WiiU incident again lol, it's understandable.

No mom before Xmas at Best Buy and GameStop shall be confused ever again. 😅

Last edited:

bigdad2007

Makes sense. The Switch was such a success and with the fact it has three models with different model names they can’t pull another Wii U situation.

If it’s the same form factor and backwards compatible they need to make sure people know it is a successor, and just calling it the Switch 2 is the easiest way to do that.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I’m a little scared that because the console is called the Switch 2 that the current trash joycons aren’t being updated. Seems like a marketing nightmare.

Just have the Switch 2 a dedicated handleheld (no sliding joycon bullshit) and sell a tv dock and pro controller as accessories ffs.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Fucking hell, about time Nintendo stopped with finding different names every gen

I hope to see Switch 8 by the time I'm in a retirement house

Last edited:

RCX

I'd rather Super Switch but 100% understand they need to establish its identity to casuals.

I'd also accept what my grandfather used to refer to it as: "that fuckin' nintendant!"

Last edited:
It’s a little boring but I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Keeps it simpler.

Personally Nintendo Super Switch sounded great, but it might not let people know it’s a full successor vs just a mid-gen refresh.

This is more following the Apple/ PlayStation naming model, to let people know this is the new one. The next one.

K' Dash

People making fun of this must be 12 year olds thinking they’re edgy and funny.

Nintendo had lots of issues after naming their consoles some weird shit, the average consumer didn’t know if the thing was a new console or something else.

This sends a clear message that the new console is going to be an iteration of what you already love, they don’t need to take unnecessary risks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom