• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) Next Nintendo console is called Nintendo Switch 2

GymWolf

Gold Member
a-game-changer-sharzad-kiadeh.gif

MAtgS

Super Nintendo Switch would be a better choice.
No, no it would not.

1. Customers understand numbers, Apple has trained them on this. The average layman will look at Switch 2 on store shelves and immediately get it. Even a word like "super" might make some think it's a pro model and next gen.

2. SNES sold 20 million less than NES and 100 million less than Switch. In Nintendo's eyes what value does that word contribute?

3. Switch 2 means eventually having a Switch 3, a Switch 4, a Switch 9, a Switch 57. What is the gen after Super Switch called exactly?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’d be nice if it were actually called Switch 2, but knowing Nintendo it’s gonna be something much dumber and more confusing.

I honestly don’t think many people were sincerely confused by the name of the Wii U. It was a terribly stupid name for a console, but pretty sure most of the bewilderment on social media was completely manufactured.

The idea that it sold poorly due to everyone thinking it was an accessory for the original Wii or some other nonsense is absurd to me.

solecon64

Neo Member
I don't get the sarcasm in this thread. Everyone acting like "well, d'uuhh" as if this isn't Nintendo we're talking about.

Naming the console Switch 2 isn't obvious AT ALL when it comes to Nintendo, come on.

kunonabi

I honestly don’t think many people were sincerely confused by the name of the Wii U. It was a terribly stupid name for a console, but pretty sure most of the bewilderment on social media was completely manufactured.

The idea that it sold poorly due to everyone thinking it was an accessory for the original Wii or some other nonsense is absurd to me.
Nah, I was in a gamestop once and the clerk was trying to explain the Wii U to a customer buying Wii games and the guy just thought it was an add-on no matter what he said. I thought the same way until that day but the name really was a disaster.

Reactions: Isa

BlackTron

There were many reasons it failed, but no dissertation of its failure would be complete without the bullet point that it was so badly marketed that it wasn't even really clear what it was.

Nintendo intentionally (per their own statements) made the console look like Wii to take the focus away from it and center on the controller, and that went down to the reveal video where the system hid in TV cabinets with the profile of a Wii while the Gamepad was shown off. In tandem with the name, and Wii audience which didn't follow games (only reacted to hype), it backfired -they didn't even know they were looking at a new game system to investigate, and the Gamepad was the opposite of the simple wiimote that made Wii popular. DOA.

I’m really hoping for it to be called the Wii U 2.

Also, a bit of Nintendo history for you, when Nintendo was coming up with the name of the Wii U, an ambulance drove by, and the name was born. History was made, and Mariokart 8 is now a 30 million+ seller. Nashimas *bows head and farts*

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Banjo64

cumsessed
No, no it would not.

1. Customers understand numbers, Apple has trained them on this. The average layman will look at Switch 2 on store shelves and immediately get it. Even a word like "super" might make some think it's a pro model and next gen.

2. SNES sold 20 million less than NES and 100 million less than Switch. In Nintendo's eyes what value does that word contribute?

3. Switch 2 means eventually having a Switch 3, a Switch 4, a Switch 9, a Switch 57. What is the gen after Super Switch called exactly?
Super Duper Switch

Sooner

This thread has taught me 90% of NeoGAF posters will take anything as gospel if you state it in a thread title.

It doesn't even matter if there is a Rumor tag, or that the actual source clearly as zero credibility.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

They've never gone that route, and it worked very well for Playstation, so why not? Makes me proud of Nintendo for looking into a different naming convention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom