• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) Next Nintendo console is called Nintendo Switch 2

Boglin

The Nintendo Switcheroo.
Instead of being a handheld that you can dock and use as a home console it'll be a home console that can use as a handheld.

lestar

Super Nintendo Switch would be a better choice.
for us nerds, but for the normies, that are used to numeric succesors for devices (they now the next iphone will be named iphone n+1), Super Switch could be confusing and be not clear if it's a next iteration of a new revision like the oled. Nintendo cannot allow itself another WiiU fiasco.

"“This is brand new info from a Chinese forum poster who didn’t have an insider track record, therefore the following is strictly for fun and giggles."

Strictly for fun and giggles should have been in the thread title

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You know people are desperate for news when people start posting their dreams as info on Reddit

PUXepph.jpeg

I dont think thats the case but if its true then Nintendo is going make same mistake they did with WiiU.
How is it the same? Numerical progression is a great idea with the "Switch" brand since it's just as popular a brand name as "PlayStation". "Wii U" was an extension of an already bad name with "U" confusing people.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
How is it the same? Numerical progression is a great idea with the "Switch" brand since it's just as popular a brand name as "PlayStation". "Wii U" was an extension of an already bad name with "U" confusing people.

I agree

Nintendo fans do not live in a bubble.

Playstation is one of the most recognizable brands and the idea of PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 etc is not some unknown thing just cause someone owns a Nintendo.

I'm sure they 100% are smart enough to get what is being referred to and it actually starts to sound insulting for anyone to entertain that would be confusing.

imho, that is the best thing for this brand right now is some fucking stability. You have the install base, now maintain and treat them to what they expect. I'm all for something new, but it seems they got really fucking arrogant with this dumb shit of thinking everyone would just learn a new controller, jump on the new gimmick and they lost a massive amount of consumers doing this shit.

Its why they even lost that 3rd party base that is now with MS and Sony, its that inconsistency in controller, hardware that basically fucked them up royally. So if they wish to have normal support, fucking release a system that 3rd parties can actually work with based on their past experience with them

They can't just be like "oh yea, now you control movement with your dick with the Nintendo Game Sphere 365 over 10 days + remix"
pikachu-shocked-face-stunned.gif

and then act shocked when the support the got for Switch moves on.

They like Switch for what it is, that doesn't mean they will be attaching shit to their PP's and do all sorts of silly shit cause "Nintendo" To keep that base, they need to MAINTAIN THAT BASE.

It must be Switch 2, Switch 3 etc

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I would prefer Super Switch. I don't know if Nintendo ever had any "2" on any of their past consoles.
They haven’t. Just having a “2” is by far the most unlikely scenario for the next Switch, at least imo.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Perhaps someone misread it and "2" is actually "S".

So could be Nintendo Switch S, where S is for Super.
Who knows. Or maybe they’ll go for an iterative scheme this time. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

My guess is that there’s just some gimmick or feature we haven’t seen yet that’ll be part of the name.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
We really have gone 5 pages on someone claiming that the SECOND Switch console, the successor, the sequel to the Switch, will be called Switch 2???

That’s like guessing that the next Playstation will be called the Playstation 6 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

HofT

Banned
It true, this is the most boring/safe console Nintendo could make.
and we couldn't be happier. First time in a while they will focus on graphical capabilities and I bet their games will look amazing. We will see a leap in quality.

Last edited:

FireFly

The Steam Deck is 400$ ? Nintendo will never make a brick like this either.
The base model is $399. And the Switch 2's GPU is much wider than Steam Deck's, such that it should be about 1.8x faster on the same TDP and process. So that gives them room to hit lower TDPs while still being faster. Or at least deliver the same performance in a much smaller package.

jcorb

Super Nintendo Switch would be a better choice.

Honestly, I *want* to agree with you, but I just know they would run into the exact same marketing problems as the 3DS and Wii U had.

I'll say, though, that "Switch 2" is pretty bland as names go. I've really got no better alternatives to pitch, though.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Boring as it is it's 100% the right move. WiiU confused everybody because it sounded like an upgrade.

As cool as Super Switch would've been that's exactly what would've happened.

Melon Husk

Four hundo, 1080p/120Hz or 540p/60Hz 3D mode, and I'm sold. Even budget phones have 120Hz LCDs so it's not a big ask.
The base model is $399. And the Switch 2's GPU is much wider than Steam Deck's, such that it should be about 1.8x faster on the same TDP and process. So that gives them room to hit lower TDPs while still being faster. Or at least deliver the same performance in a much smaller package.
hopefully 1.8x longer battery life than Steam Deck
Still nothing like when Wii became part of our vernacular
This could be another Wii moment imo, if they pull off a fun gimmick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom