• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) Next Nintendo console is called Nintendo Switch 2

DeVeAn

Shocked Futurama GIF

Reactions: Isa

sachos

Although Super Nintendo Switch would have been a really cool and nostalgic name, its better to name it 2 so you have a great setup to call the next one 3, otherwise you end up in a Wii U situation where you dont know what to call it afterwards. Ultra Super Nintendo Switch?

tkscz

Coming from a random worker in a chinese factory with no previous leak history. Not exactly the most reliable source.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Every time I see Switch U I hear it as an insult in my head.
The Breakfast Club Middle Finger GIF by Filmin

Switch youuuuuu!!!! LoL. Maybe Switch Up(yours) which could play into some fun marketing gimmicks lol.

Edit: Also Switch & Spin, market it as a Game & Watch classic style spinoff, maybe throw some Princess Peach, Daisy and Rosaline in there for laughs, Switch & Spin Princess!

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
And a new idea for their cardboard box games! 3 Princesses one box, a multiplayer game for 1-3 players, a brand new use for the cardboard boxes they tried to sell us. The more players you have the faster the fill! Do you have what it takes to reach the top... of the leaderboards? Grab your besties for a fresh steaming fill today!

The Saint

Now that I am thinking on that leaks and rumors reddit, does anyone here know if there is an active reddit for leaks and rumors, but only for games made by Eastern game dev companies?

Dodo123

Oh, a 397th thread about the name of Nintendo's next console and again many posters come up with their "Super Switches".
We know Nintendo and sadly, I can totally see them making such a stupid move again. "Super Switch" - urghh, so horrendous and DOA.

blacktout

Why would you post this as if it was fact?

That post literally says:

"This is brand new info from a Chinese forum poster who didn’t have an insider track record, therefore the following is strictly for fun and giggles."

User has a chronic habit of doing shit like this. He's so obsessed with being the first person to post every single news story that he doesn't care if his threads are deeply misleading half the time.

Tarin02543

too simple and logical, needs that Nintendo touch. Maybe New Switch 2, implying that there was an old Switch 2 but failed in translation due to bad english

Dorago

It's been 8 years, they need new branding.

The gimmick needs to be different too.

Pokemon/Zelda table with small uncomfortable controllers 2 is not going to hit that well.

Preseznik

Neo Member
Although Super Nintendo Switch would have been a really cool and nostalgic name, its better to name it 2 so you have a great setup to call the next one 3, otherwise you end up in a Wii U situation where you dont know what to call it afterwards. Ultra Super Nintendo Switch?

Hyper!

I've been waiting for a Hyper Nintendo Entertainment System since the 90s.

I'd accept Ultra as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Normally that would be surprising (even though people are acting like it's not), Nintendo usually have completely new names for every console. They've never done a "Something 2". But the Switch has been so damn successful, so in this case it would be understandable if they want to keep riding that wave.

They did a similar thing with the Wii U after the similarly successful Wii, which didn't go very well, but that name was confusing to a lot of people and didn't really explain what the thing was. "Switch 2" makes it very clear that this is the successor to the Switch, it can't be mistaken for an accessory. It's an established naming scheme, everyone knows that the PlayStation 5 is a newer and more advanced console than the PlayStation 4. Or as someone else said, the iPhone.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I’m a little scared that because the console is called the Switch 2 that the current trash joycons aren’t being updated. Seems like a marketing nightmare.

Just have the Switch 2 a dedicated handleheld (no sliding joycon bullshit) and sell a tv dock and pro controller as accessories ffs.

Nah, the detachable controllers were a stroke of genius. Tabletop mode is awesome, being able to play multiplayer with just a single Switch and no additional controllers is awesome.

They just need to up the quality a bit.

BlackTron

I’m a little scared that because the console is called the Switch 2 that the current trash joycons aren’t being updated. Seems like a marketing nightmare.

Just have the Switch 2 a dedicated handleheld (no sliding joycon bullshit) and sell a tv dock and pro controller as accessories ffs.

Be even more scared that the trash controller is permanently grafted to the console and can't be replaced when it breaks or with a better third party one.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Wait so this thing is supposedly already in production but isn't going to come out in ~7 months? Doesn't make sense to me.

Don't Sony and Microsoft go into production like ~3 months before launch typically?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
It true, this is the most boring/safe console Nintendo could make.

I agree, but boring and safe is what Nintendo needs right now.

They need some stability and I think its wise to let people know this will be a standard for them going forward.

Look at the fucking dynasty Playstation has been able to build that that concept. The focus should be on different software and the hardware should be something the base can expect, are familiar and feel they can grow with, not this fucking shit where its like "ok, know you play with your dick" (OMG where did our install base go WOOOOOOOOW) lol

Let them build their base.

I said this years ago on here, it needs to be Switch 2, Switch 3 etc. They have a good thing going and I think its wise to build a dependable base, let consumers know Switch is not just a generation thing for now, its going to be standard moving forward.

So they don't need something more exciting, they need something that properly conveys this is their new standard and what better way then a solid 2.

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
lol are people now acting upset that we’re getting a simple Switch 2 instead of something new and completely different? Most people have been asking for the same console form factor but with improved specs, exclusive games, and backwards compatibility.

In case you didn’t know, Switch has been a huge success. Nintendo won’t want to create a completely different kind of console. But that must mean they are dead, right? Some people will never be happy.

nordique

Gamecube is still the coolest looking Nintendo console.
It’s my favourite

But it failed spectacularly at the time

Was heralded as kiddy and everyone only talked about ps2 or Xbox in school

Ppl made fun of no online, lunchbox appearance, and other than Metroid prime and melee

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
Gamecube is still the coolest looking Nintendo console.
100%

As a kid I worked all summer to buy one but I couldn't afford games for it

So when I came home with the console my mother suprised me with Windwaker, NFL Street 2 and Tony Hawk Underground

Best fucking summer ever

Last edited:

dmaul1114

Neo Member
That or something like Super Switch were always the best options. Avoid confusion with dumb naming like Wii U etc. PlayStation has dominated console sales with just increasing the number each generation. Keep it simple for the average consumer, parents buying for kids etc.

Top Bottom