• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're doing a port of Smash 4 for NX, there's no way there's going to be new characters guys. Lol, people get so carried away with this shit, I swear. New characters are going to be saved for Smash 5.

I'm more astounded at the amount of people salivating over the prospect of paying like $350+ for new smash characters. :p

Nanashrew

Banned
on one hand, I'd really prefer it if the launch lineup for a brand new system wasn't just a greatest hits collection of games I already own. on the other, there are a lot of people who never played those games, which is why we're getting the new system in the first place.

There will be new games. Also, at this point, having a couple ports in the launch year has become something to be expected like with the PS4 and XBO. I don't expect those 4 Nintendo ports to be there at launch, but to fill in gaps between their new stuff.

Zebei

- A new stage hazard and boss hazard toggle has been added — reduce or increase the frequency of hazards and bosses, or switch them off altogether!
This feels like the least likely thing on this list nd that makes me sad.

I meant would you be okay if we are going to get new contents for the port?
If it was ONLY an advanced port. . .no.

Unless it was a LOT of content. Like A LOT. New modes, new levels, new characters, and serious reworking of a few of Smash 4's already existing content then maybe but there is no way in hell all of that would be in a port.

I would buy it in a heartbeat no matter how shitty the content is against my will because it's smash and there is no stopping that nostalgia train

If they're doing a port of Smash 4 for NX, there's no way there's going to be new characters guys. Lol, people get so carried away with this shit, I swear. New characters are going to be saved for Smash 5.

Sakurai practically killed himself for almost 4 years to give us Smash 4 and a shitton of content that makes the previous games puny. He said himself that a melee situation where there was only a short amount of time between games isn't happening again. Having two Smash Bros. games on one console would be overkill, unprecedented, and potentially confusing to a casual buyer.

A port is being done likely because there's no way Smash 5 can actually happen on NX in a reasonable timeframe unless it is built on the framework of SSB4. New content would be appealing both to double-dippers and to new buyers and I'm sure Nintendo are at least aware of that.

Azuran

Banned
It's LAUNCH. PS4/3 got a plethora of ports/ HD remakes. It's to have some shit early on and build up a userbase with great games. Many people also skipped out on Wii U. This is a chance to get those people swayed, if true. Relax

Is there really a large group of people that didn't buy a Wii U but are excited to play Smash 4 that they would buy a more expensive console for it?

Ports are not going to get current Wii U owners on board and they're certainly won't attract the non-Nintendo fans if they didn't do it before.

Is there really a large group of people that didn't buy a Wii U but are excited to play Smash 4 that they would buy a more expensive console for it?

Ports are not going to get current Wii U owners on board and they're certainly won't attract the non-Nintendo fans if they didn't do it before.

The ports are not the main attraction. They are simply a side dish that serves as bonus incentive for people to buy the console. The presence of ports to get people up to speed will not prevent there from being new games at launch.

Calvero

Banned
If they are running into trouble porting over Splatoon and Mario Maker because of the controls, wouldn't that mean the controller won't have a screen/gyro?

What? he literally said the opposite of this. that his sources said the source of problems with porting those was transferring online data, and then said that no once mentioned the control scheme being a problem, so it could mean that the NX having a secondary control with a screen (like the verified Reddit rumor) could be true.

I honestly think it's a pretty big stretch to think a brand new and unproven IP that was very heavy on quirk could break a lot more than 4 million regardless of the console base. I mean, yeah, it's possible, but unlikely. Super Mario Maker works for your point, but Splatoon much less so.

It makes sense to try and grow that audience. By your logic GTAV and Last of Us shouldn't have been ported to next gen since they were already such huge hits.

antonz

There are plenty of people who are interested in various Wii U games but due to the nature of the Wii U will not put down the money for it. Throw them along perhaps a brand new 3D Mario on a console that is not completely last gen and competitive and it can make people more willing to make the leap

PS4K is a non-factor. No one has one, no one asked for one, and the industry has never assembled behind a half-step, ever. Same goes for the fabled Xbox 1.5. Assuming the NX is more powerful than the PS4, the "but PS4K!" argument has no traction. I don't even know why people feel that even needs to be argued against anyway. It either is or isn't.

But at least it's better than the "dum nintendo fanbois" responses. I don't know why the idea of a powerful NX upsets some people that much.

Zebei

Which is why there will be more games that come with those ports. Gotta believe.

Shauni

Sakurai practically killed himself for almost 4 years to give us Smash 4 and a shitton of content that makes the previous games puny. He said himself that a melee situation where there was only a short amount of time between games isn't happening again. Having two Smash Bros. games on one console would be overkill, unprecedented, and potentially confusing to a casual buyer.

A port is being done likely because there's no way Smash 5 can actually happen on NX in a reasonable timeframe unless it is built on the framework of SSB4. New content would be appealing both to double-dippers and to new buyers and I'm sure Nintendo are at least aware of that.

There's going to be Smash 5 on NX. And a Mario Kart. And an original Zelda eventually. And a mainline Mario game.

These things are certain. A port of a previous game isn't going to confuse anyone, casual or otherwise. That's like...what?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

You simply don't know that for sure tho. People just prefer to hope for the best but expect for the worst.

I really expect straight port actually but I just hope that they would be smart enough to add new contents to the game to motivate people who already have the games to purchase NX and Smash NX.

To be frank, once Sakurai is done with the port, he's going to move forward to next project (Non-Smash) which might take up to two years or so. It's possible that we are not going to get Smash 5 until a console after NX if there are one.

There's going to be Smash 5 on NX. And a Mario Kart. And an original Zelda eventually. And a mainline Mario game.

These things are certain. A port of a previous game isn't going to confuse anyone, casual or otherwise. That's like...what?

We will see when we know more about Smash NX; and and see what Sakurai had to say on the subject.

MK_768

Sure. The Wii U became a toxic console. That's how bad it is.

It's Smash. It'll sell, port or not.

PS4K is a non-factor. No one has one, no one asked for one, and the industry has never assembled behind a half-step, ever. Same goes for the fabled Xbox 1.5. Assuming the NX is more powerful than the PS4, the "but PS4K!" argument has no traction. I don't even know why people feel that even needs to be argued against anyway. It either is or isn't.

But at least it's better than the "dum nintendo fanbois" responses. I don't know why the idea of a powerful NX upsets some people that much.

I think the PS4K is a dumb uninspired idea.

I also think many will buy it.

pooh

Just curious, what do you all think of this?: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4dbop5/every_time_ubisoft_edition/d1uanu3

There are four main builds:
Wii U/PPC - It is unlikely to be launched due to it requiring external storage just to install on 8GB devices. Even new ones right out of the box.
Wii U 2/PPC - Lower "TV" resolution (only 720p, but can't change it), no Wii BC outside of the eShop, no disk drive.
New device/ARM64 - One screen only, is not tied to a single "Hardware".
New device/AMD64 - No screens, scales to whatever hardware it is put on. Only interact-able via a command line for the moment.

I have no idea if any of that is true, of course. However, I've been following him since November of last year, and he's been consistent about all this since he first started talking about it. He's mentioned before that he's been doing work on finding exploits in the OS. He's also said that he (or his company/group) rejected certain parts of the NDA, and so he can post limited information legally.

I haven't really seen it discussed at all on GAF, so I was a little curious as to what others might think.

Smash 4 for NX means to me there might not be a Smash 5.

Which I'm honestly okay with if they support it with a year of more DlC (on top of a complete edition through) like Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario, sure.

Smash 5 isn't happening any time soon with Sakurai involved. Just read or look up about how much he invested into the game. If Smash 5 is to come out on a reasonable timescale, that's 6 straight years of solid work for one of the most overworked developers in the business, and he himself has acknowledged the toll it has taken. If we do want Sakurai involved, then we're looking at a Smash 5 in 2021 or so at the earliest.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the SSB4 "port" actually is Smash 5 for all intents and purposes. Or at the very least, that the future of the series is built heavily on its foundation. Considering how much hard work, post-launch support, and budget went into SSB4 that they'd be casually tossing aside, there's no way that starting from scratch every generation is a sustainable model for the franchise at this point.

Look at the CPU of the Wii U.

Maybe they were halfassed efforts by outsourced development porters and maybe it was weak.
If any console decides to releases 3 years ahead of the competition and wants to be the most powerful one out it can be though right? it shouldn't be hard its not like the PS4 and X1 have titan type insane gpus.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel right now. They'll get the very big Nintendo fans on board but if the games didn't help before then I don't see how they will help now -- especially considering the Xbox One and PS4 libraries have grown even bigger (on top of the current 4K model rumors).

I'll probably get laughed at for thinking this but I fully expect NX to be at least comparable to PS4K performance wise.

H7vljHu.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
What? he literally said the opposite of this. that his sources said the source of problems with porting those was transferring online data, and then said that no once mentioned the control scheme being a problem, so it could mean that the NX having a secondary control with a screen (like the verified Reddit rumor) could be true.

It sounds like there are some challenges with porting Splatoon and Mario Maker to NX.

Neal Ronaghan, director of Nintendo World Report.

https://twitter.com/nron10/status/720064232553844736

https://twitter.com/nron10/status/720064232553844736

Emily chimes in...

Shauni

It makes sense to try and grow that audience. By your logic GTAV and Last of Us shouldn't have been ported to next gen since they were already such huge hits.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not against the idea of porting the game at all, nor of building the audience, but your original post basically dismissed the success of these games due to what console they were on. My point was that Splatoon was probably as successful as possible, even if it'd launched on a more popular platform. Sure, it could have sold more, but most likely that was a wall for a new, quirky IP like that. That's why I said Super Mario Maker worked fine with your point, because due to it being from a well-established and highly casual friendly IP, could have easily done much better with a bigger console base. I was pointing out how one thing worked well with what you were trying to say, while the other was a stretch.

Nanashrew

Banned

Which I'm honestly okay with if they support it with a year of more DlC (on top of a complete edition through) like Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Could end up being that way and becoming a service game where they add a lot more stuff over time. New hardware with better CPU also means Ice Climbers will finally be coming back.

I don't know. I'm not convinced. That might be because of my bias towards it. As a PS4 owner I'm completely negative towards the PS4K lol

I am sure a lot are negative about it like you.

I just can't fathom a better PS4 bombing or disappointing in sales because the PS4 just killed it with consumers.

Neoxon

Get Callie and Marie in there.
For the sake of staying consistent with the Splatoon branding, it'd make more sense to go with the Inkling. They have more alternate costume potential, they're the ones with Amiibos, they're the ones on the front of the Splatoon box art (sure, Robin was on the Awakening box art, but mainly due to the fact that he was the very first customizable avatar in Fire Emblem history), & they're the ones you actually play as.

MK_768

I dont understand this thought process. I'm not bashing you btw. I'm actually confused. It's likely that the port is nearly finished. It's also likely that Bandai-Namco is handling it.

I'm not saying expect Smash 5 in 3 years. I'm saying, don't be shocked if we hear about it in 3 years for NX lol.

It will just continue the Nintendo sales trend that's been in place outside the wii without a game hanging lightning in the bottle gimmick again.

There is no real argument I've read anywhere that changes that IMO. Nintendo Core machine again.

BuggyMike

I really want to know exactly how much more powerful it is than the PS4.

LCGeek (the guy that leaked the Wii and Gamecube CPUs) said this about the CPU in comparison

amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >>>PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U

If the RAM and GPU are both noticeably better I wonder where they could be. 12GB would be amazing and would give devs a hell of a lot more to work with in giving games awesome textures and draw distance. I'd be satisfied with 2.5 Tflops for the GPU but obviously more would be welcomed.

Now that we actually have some decently solid information that the NX wil surpass the OG PS4 I would like to hear Thraktor and Blu's opinions on what would be the most likely components of something in that area.

I think it's unrealistic to expect games to be substantially upgraded on PS4K OR the NX compared to PS4, at least in practical terms. This is going to fall under the "half-step" banner as well.

Neoxon

There definitely will be a Smash 5. Like it or not, Smash 4 will grow stale eventually. And as much as I would love it to last for a long time, I can't see it having the legs that Melee has as far as long-term play. And while granted, the FGC isn't the majority, they stay longer with games than most. And if they ditch a game, it likely means that the casuals abandoned said game a long time ago.

Could end up being that way and becoming a service game where they add a lot more stuff over time. New hardware with better CPU also means Ice Climbers will finally be coming back.

God I hope so.

And Ice Climbers amiibo would be the cherry on top.

Bundle them together and I will shell out the cash, Nintendo do you hear me??

Shauni

Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario, sure.

Smash 5 isn't happening any time soon with Sakurai involved. Just read or look up about how much he invested into the game. If Smash 5 is to come out on a reasonable timescale, that's 6 straight years of solid work for one of the most overworked developers in the business, and he himself has acknowledged the toll it has taken. If we do want Sakurai involved, then we're looking at a Smash 5 in 2021 or so at the earliest.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the SSB4 "port" actually is Smash 5 for all intents and purposes. Or at the very least, that the future of the series is built heavily on its foundation. Considering how much hard work and budget went into SSB4, there's no way that starting from scratch every generation is a sustainable model for the franchise at this point.

With or without Sakurai, it's happening. A port of the previous game isn't going to be the Smash game for an entire console generation. It's going to be just that: a port of the previous game.

MK_768

I am sure a lot are negative about it like you.

I just can't fathom a better PS4 bombing or disappointing in sales because the PS4 just killed it with consumers.

Thing is I feel that the people who will buy the PS4K already have he PS4...especially if it gets an expensive price tag on it. I don't foresee people who are waiting to get a PS4 to jump on the PS4K. That is me though.

With or without Sakurai, it's happening. A port of the previous game isn't going to be the Smash game for an entire console generation. It's going to be just that: a port of the previous game.

Who says it'll just be a port? ;)

We know nothing about it. I'd hope Nintendo is a bit smarter than thinking that a straight port is sufficient for a whole generation. If we don't get new content or even an additional round of DLC then that'd be a pretty massive missed opportunity for them. Smash is a great long-term service platform to sell amiibos, DLC, and things like that. Why not work with what they've already established?

But at any rate I don't see them hitting the reset button on the series for a long time.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm more astounded at the amount of people salivating over the prospect of paying like $350+ for new smash characters. :p

I'm pretty sure that many people who pick up the console are going to purchase other games as well. Like me, I'm going to pick up Smash NX, Mario Kart 9 and many more.

This feels like the least likely thing on this list nd that makes me sad.

If it was ONLY an advanced port. . .no.

Unless it was a LOT of content. Like A LOT. New modes, new levels, new characters, and serious reworking of a few of Smash 4's already existing content then maybe but there is no way in hell all of that would be in a port.

I would buy it in a heartbeat no matter how shitty the content is against my will because it's smash and there is no stopping that nostalgia train

Sound like a lot of works so I don't think it's feasible but Sakurai could surprise anyone.

I think so. Sakurai already spend so much times on Smash 4 so it actually make sense to port the game over to next console since it's still fresh. (only two years old)

antonz

I think it's unrealistic to expect games to be substantially upgraded on PS4K OR the NX compared to PS4, at least in practical terms. This is going to fall under the "half-step" banner as well.

If the NX is above the PS4 its going to be mainly to address deficiencies the current gen has with stable 1080P 60FPS etc. The PS4K as rumored frankly makes no sense. a 3.8+ tflop GPU is insanely more powerful to the point it shits all over the PS4 and there is no way developers would want to let all that power go to waste.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not against the idea of porting the game at all, nor of building the audience, but your original post basically dismissed the success of these games due to what console they were on. My point was that Splatoon was probably as successful as possible, even if it'd launched on a more popular platform. Sure, it could have sold more, but most likely that was a wall for a new, quirky IP like that. That's why I said Super Mario Maker worked fine with your point, because due to it being from a well-established and highly casual friendly IP, could have easily done much better with a bigger console base. I was pointing out how one thing worked well with what you were trying to say, while the other was a stretch.

I'm not dismissing their success at all, I'm saying that due to the console they were released on their potential was limited by a pretty low ceiling. It would make complete sense for Nintendo to think they could get more out of the Splatoon ip on a more popular platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom