• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
Honestly, do you blame them though?

Nintendo is not a company that focuses on power. I still find it hard to envision that the NX could even be as powerful as the Xbox One. I'm expecting Nintendo to still slack behind in the tech front.

Also, the supposed game lineup very much looks like a wet dream.

I'm hoping they'll get their shit together now that they know that they have to or they're hosed.

And holy crap, I haven't seen you around in forever.

Thraktor

Wait, so the 14nm is an information from the leaker or is a deduction from Thraktor based on the PDA feature, like the Polaris architecture is.

As far as I'm aware, the source told 10k that the NX GPU featured a number of Polaris features, such as the primitive discard accelerator. I don't believe he specified that it's a 14nm chip, but I'm not sure if that's something Nintendo would necessarily need to tell devs. 10k asked me what the PDA does, and if it's 14nm exclusive or could be implemented on 28nm. It's my opinion that bringing features designed for Polaris (such as the PDA) to 28nm, while theoretically possible, would be very unlikely. Hence, I would be confident that, if the source is correct (which is a big if), then it's a 14nm chip.

Kucan

So do you guys think Nintendo will reveal the NX Platform before E3 or at E3?

Before E3 for sure.

Since the pre-E3 presentations are, y'know, before E3 ;)

Seriously though, it's looking more and more like they're going the old way of doing it all at E3.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It makes sense to be revealed before E3. Nintendo has nothing to talk about after Star Fox releases to E3. The next thing they would have to talk about is Zelda U and NX. So yes I know (my opinion) we will get NX info and reveal prior to Nintendos E3 conference (my opinion they're doing a conference).

Nothing?? Have you forgotten about Kirby: Planet Robobot, 2016's GOTY? Nintendo will need all of the time between April 22nd and June 10th to properly explain the QUALITY and DEPTH of that title. Even if they wanted to reveal the NX earlier, there is simply no space. Kirby has booked every single day.

I agree with you. There's really only Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Mario and Sonic Rio coming to Wii U soon, and those are both June 24th (no idea why they've been bunching up their Wii U releases rather than spreading them out this year). As a result, a lot of the promo for both could happen at or near E3—perhaps a pre-E3 Wii U/3DS Direct to cover the summer releases? I also don't expect either to get a lot of promo or a game-focused Direct. The lack of a Wii U game to build up to prior to E3 (and no May release to take that MK8/Splatoon spot!) makes me think that gap is intentional and prime space to start talking about a new console.

Snakeyes

I think the potential is there for it to work well, if the tech is good and those same Wi-Fi hotspots normally provide high-speed Internet access (which most public places would provide just fine).

The problem is not the speed but the overall stability of your connection, which is something that depends on the hotspot provider and the environment just as much as the tech inside the controller. How strong is the signal you're connected to? How much interference is there from other hotspots in the area? How many people are connected to the same hotspot? How taxing are their tasks on the network? All of these factors will create latency and while it's more or less a non-issue when streaming music/video or browsing the web through a hotspot, you'll definitely notice it when playing a game that relies on precision and timing.

MuchoMalo

Banned
As far as I'm aware, the source told 10k that the NX GPU featured a number of Polaris features, such as the primitive discard accelerator. I don't believe he specified that it's a 14nm chip, but I'm not sure if that's something Nintendo would necessarily need to tell devs. 10k asked me what the PDA does, and if it's 14nm exclusive or could be implemented on 28nm. It's my opinion that bringing features designed for Polaris (such as the PDA) to 28nm, while theoretically possible, would be very unlikely. Hence, I would be confident that, if the source is correct (which is a big if), then it's a 14nm chip.

I'd have to agree on this and want to ad that, even if it were possible, it would probably be more expensive to make a completely custom chip like that than it would be to simply use Polaris. That said, They could meet in the middle and make a GPU based on early 20nm Polaris prototypes. That would solve the yield issue while still allowing them to make a small, low-power chip. The catch there is that I'd think that AMD would want to push everyone to GloFlo for their own sake.

Mory Dunz

Nothing?? Have you forgotten about Kirby: Planet Robobot, 2016's GOTY? Nintendo will need all of the time between April 22nd and June 10th to properly explain the QUALITY and DEPTH of that title. Even if they wanted to reveal the NX earlier, there is simply no space. Kirby has booked every single day.

I agree with you. There's really only Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Mario and Sonic Rio coming to Wii U soon, and those are both June 24th (no idea why they've been bunching up their Wii U releases rather than spreading them out this year). As a result, a lot of the promo for both could happen at or near E3—perhaps a pre-E3 Wii U/3DS Direct to cover the summer releases? I also don't expect either to get a lot of promo or a game-focused Direct. The lack of a Wii U game to build up to prior to E3 (and no May release to take that MK8/Splatoon spot!) makes me think that gap is intentional and prime space to start talking about a new console.

We talking about 3ds or Wii U?

3DS has a surprisingly solid year, especially in japan.

Wii u has pretty much just PM, #FE, and Zelda....

Yes I don't understand that idea, is b/w really that good? If four kids meet up to play Monster Hunter what will the stream quality be like? Do they have wifi on all the trains in Japan? I don't know.
Is the system going to be digital only, or will it come with a ROB to swap your media when you're out of the house?

It's a neat feature on ps4 but what is ground breaking about Nintendo doing the exact same thing?

-Horizon-

Before

Or plot twist worst end: they only show it at E3 during an hour long Direct in which only 10 minutes is set aside for NX where they end it with "more information in 2017".

SuperSah

Banned
I'm hoping they'll get their shit together now that they know that they have to or they're hosed.

And holy crap, I haven't seen you around in forever.

I've gone pretty quiet since the Smash train ended and my Law studies picked up a fair bit:(

Kinda nice to be back and on the NX train! I'm still skeptical though and I'm holding all my interest back until the reveal.

antonz

I could definitely see some sort of NX hardware related Direct in May. Software focus obviously at E3.

Then again we are in uncharted waters. The Iwata Era is over and we are now in the Kimishima era. He could very well go for a traditional E3 Conference blowout and not be confined to a single hour like Iwata typically kept Nintendo too at E3.

Kimawolf

i think before E3.

We will get a general idea of it this month i believe. Like what it is, what it looks like, maybe some basic specs and some teasers of some games.

Then even more leaks will open up once they make the announcement.

Then at E3 we will get a huge blow out of the system, games, accessories etc.

And crow will be eaten on one side of the power argument.

Snakeyes

Plus does anyone really want to drag their comparatively massive controller around, which they can only use at wifi points?

What would make far more sense is allow you to stream the NX to any screen you already have, like a phone or tablet, then have a much smaller bluetooth controller you can use with it.
Pretty much.

It doesn't have to mean a bulkier controller at all.
How big of a screen can you fit inside something the size of a Wii U Pro Controller without the inputs obscuring the gameplay too much?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
We talking about 3ds or Wii U?

3DS has a surprisingly solid year, especially in japan.

Wii u has pretty much just PM, #FE, and Zelda....

The first (joke) part was just me plugging Kirby. It was saying that Kirby is SO BIG that there'd be no time for Nintendo's marketing to talk about anything other than Kirby. Hence no NX reveal. That's obviously not true.

The second part was my actual response, which was to say that the 2-month hole in Wii U's release calendar mean Nintendo's marketing team has some time once Star Fox releases to talk about something other than software releases. I agree about your assessment of 3DS, and I think Nintendo does have a lot to talk about for the system, but I still see May as being an open period in their marketing since the Wii U will be quiet.

Fake edit: Oh wait, I just realized that Federation Force is probably taking the late May release date and Nintendo is also publishing Disney Art Academy and Pocket Card Jockey in May. Then there's Kirby in early June and Mini Mario & Friends and a boxed copy of Pokémon Rumble World in late April. So maybe Nintendo will focus entirely on 3DS post-Star Fox, kind of like how early 2016 was pretty dominated by Fire Emblem.

Red Devil

The first (joke) part was just me plugging Kirby. It was saying that Kirby is SO BIG that there'd be no time for Nintendo's marketing to talk about anything other than Kirby. Hence no NX reveal. That's obviously not true.

The second part was my actual response, which was to say that the 2-month hole in Wii U's release calendar mean Nintendo's marketing team has some time once Star Fox releases to talk about something other than software releases. I agree about your assessment of 3DS, and I think Nintendo does have a lot to talk about for the system, but I still see May as being an open period in their marketing since the Wii U will be quiet.

Fake edit: Oh wait, I just realized that Federation Force is probably taking the late May release date and Nintendo is also publishing Disney Art Academy and Pocket Card Jockey in May. Then there's Kirby in early June and Mini Mario & Friends and a boxed copy of Pokémon Rumble World in late April. So maybe Nintendo will focus entirely on 3DS post-Star Fox, kind of like how early 2016 was pretty dominated by Fire Emblem.

Don't forget Monster Hunter Generations.

Pittree

The consequent question, then, is: is RevoGamers reliable with their rumours? Especially when they're about a Spanish developer like MercurySteam?

I don't know if this has been already answered, but they have a respectable record on their rumors. Wich btw they don't post often.

For reference they were the ones who claimed to know form "sources" that CoD: MW2 would arrive to Wii, rumor almost no one believed. And for those who still don't know, yes. MW2 arrived to wii back in the day*

Edit: *It didn't. I confused MW2 with MW3. Thanks to Hero Legend for pointing it out.

thefro

I think we can safely say that all the "insiders" that said mid april announcement of the reveal event are fake right?

There's still another week left where they could announce a press event that would take place before the investor's meeting.

They could always randomly drop a Nintendo Direct on the last week of April, but I think that'd be a mistake unless we're just getting "NX is coming this year and can run all the most demanding games, please be excited, we will talk more about it at E3"

I don't know if this has been already answered, but they have a respectable record on their rumors. Wich btw they don't post often.

For reference they were the ones who claimed to know form "sources" that CoD: MW2 would arrive to Wii, rumor almost no one believed. And for those who still don't know, yes. MW2 arrived to wii back in the day

Only Modern Warfare 1 and 3 came out on Wii.

Shame, MW2 should've replaced 3 on Wii. :(

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget Monster Hunter Generations.

Nintendo is definitely going to promote that a lot. However, I think it's currently scheduled for a post-E3 release (Summer 2016), so I don't think it'll get too much focus beyond what they're currently doing until E3 and after.

tolkir

*brb, imagining Luigi's Mansion 3 with PS4K graphics, because no pics*

Mmm

Mmm

MMM!

Those were some good imaginings.

Luigi-630x375.png

Nanashrew

Banned
Plus does anyone really want to drag their comparatively massive controller around, which they can only use at wifi points?

What would make far more sense is allow you to stream the NX to any screen you already have, like a phone or tablet, then have a much smaller bluetooth controller you can use with it.

I think we're looking at 3"-5" free-form display which would be about the size of the Vita screen, and Sharp's free-form displays also have an ultra-thin bezel which would also keep the controller from getting too big. I'm predicting a smaller controller of more traditional size than the Wii U gamepad

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

OK, thanks for the answers. Could a custom GPU based on a pre-Polaris architecture contain the said features?

True...
but the thing is: do we know that Zelda U was delayed only because of NX?
It's possible, but that Late 2014 VGA footage looked kinda rough and unpolished. And they purposely had that view and not a direct feed. Maybe the game was gonna be delayed regardless of NX.

Aonuma literally said on camera that the team will give it their all to reach holiday 2015 and that they'll make it.

You don't just throw in the towel 2 months later if the promise was on shaky ground to begin with. It's far more likely that they looked at their NX shedule and thought "one of dem Zelda games would fit nicely !"than outright lie.

Thraktor

I'd have to agree on this and want to ad that, even if it were possible, it would probably be more expensive to make a completely custom chip like that than it would be to simply use Polaris. That said, They could meet in the middle and make a GPU based on early 20nm Polaris prototypes. That would solve the yield issue while still allowing them to make a small, low-power chip. The catch there is that I'd think that AMD would want to push everyone to GloFlo for their own sake.

I think we can pretty safely rule 20nm out, both because it offers little to no benefit over 28nm at a higher cost, and because AMD dropped all plans for 20nm around the time design work on NX started. In fact Fourth Storm's hypothesis, that it started as a 20nm chip and Nintendo effectively got a free upgrade when AMD switched everything over to 14nm, may well be the case.

OK, thanks for the answers. Could a custom GPU based on a pre-Polaris architecture contain the said features?

Yes, you could have a sort of mid-gen mix of GCN 1.2 and Polaris. Even then, I'd think 14nm would be far more likely.

Just wanted to respond to a few posts on the topic of the Primitive Discard Accelerator, and how it relates to Polaris and 14nm.

Just to clarify here, the quote in 10k's post describing the Primitive Discard Accelerator isn't from his source, it's from me (and I'm definitely not any kind of insider). His source had told him that the GPU featured new features like the PDA (which AMD has publicly listed as one of the new features in Polaris), and asked me what the PDA does, and whether it could be used in a 28nm GPU.

I should also note that although AMD have listed PDA as one of the new features in their Polaris presentation, they haven't given any details on what it does or how it does it, so my description of its use is purely my own assumption based on the name of the feature, although I can't really see how the words "primitive discard accelerator" could mean anything very different from what I described.

The "developer" also gave a description of what the PDA does and why it's useful, which ties in pretty much exactly with my understanding of how it would work. Which doesn't necessarily mean that the rumour is true, but it does mean that the person making the claim at least has a decent understanding of real-time 3D graphics.

In any case, the reason for discussing the PDA isn't that it's necessarily a revolutionary feature (although it could certainly be useful), but that if the source is real, then the GPU has at least some Polaris features, and is therefore very likely to be manufactured on 14nm.

If true, then it would be reasonable to assume that it has at least some other Polaris features, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee that it has all of them. For example, let's say the improved Command Processor, Geometry Processor and PDA for Polaris had all been all-but finished in late 2014 when work on NX started, but the improved CUs weren't finished until much later. It possible that Nintendo would have been able to make use of several of the new features of Polaris, but would still use GCN 1.2-era CUs. Both PS4 and XBO's APUs sort of sit between generations like this, so it wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary. On the other hand, there are reports that Polaris has been pretty much finished for a long time now, and was delayed first by the abandonment of 20nm and secondly by the slow growth in 14nm yields. In that case Nintendo may have had almost the entire suite of Polaris features to use when building the NX chip.

The other thing I'd like to mention here is that wccftech's description of the Primitive Discard Accelerator here is actually wrong, at least as far as my understanding goes. They claim it will be used to implement conservative rasterisation (a new DX12 technique which currently only works on Nvidia cards), although there's nothing about conservative rasterisation which I would describe as "discarding primitives". In fact, one of the main use cases of conservative rasterisation (ray-traced shadows) uses it for precisely the opposite effect, in preventing sub-pixel triangles from being thrown away.

The reason I bring this up is that wccftech is a tech website that's heavily focussed on graphics technology. If they can get something like this wrong, then it's all the more impressive that someone claiming to have insider information would get it right. That doesn't mean it's any more than a rumour, but there's a relatively high threshold of knowledge on the part of anyone trying to fake this.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't consider a Primitive Discard Accelerator a major feature (although it could be a useful one), just that the source claimed that NX has it, which would indicate that the NX APU is on 14nm and using a Polaris-based GPU.

That said, although you're right in that GPUs do implement small-triangle culling, orientation culling, etc. all in hardware, they only do it at the rasterisation stage (and afaik this is true for both AMD and Nvidia). What this means is that the triangle has to run through the geometry front-end, the vertex shaders and the rasteriser before it actually gets thrown out. Even if we're just talking about orientation culling, regardless of what kind of game it is or how well optimised your engine is, that means that you're wasting about half of the throughput of your geometry front-end on unnecessary triangles and you're doubling your vertex shading workload without benefit. If you bring that culling right to the very start of the pipeline then you stand to make some fairly nice efficiency gains, and small-triangle, frustum and high-Z culling could also stand to benefit (although these will be more dependent on how well optimised games already are in each regard).

I'd recommend having a read through the slides of a recent GDC talk given by one of Frostbite's senior rendering engineers (PDF link here). It does a good job of running through the benefits of early culling on GCN-based hardware, and the performance gains from Frostbite's compute shader solution. They also implement occlusion culling in their solution, but I wouldn't expect to see acceleration for that at the front of the pipeline, due to it requiring pre-Z. That said, I could certainly see developers being happy about a solution which brings efficient orientation culling and small-triangle culling to the start of the pipeline. If you're working on a game where geometry throughput is your main bottleneck (say an open-world game with sub-optimal LOD) then it could make your life quite a bit easier.

That is some very good infomation. Thank you for your clarifications and for helping 10K with understanding what these leakers are feeding him. It would be very cool for Nintendo to use such tech, but I honestly still have doubts. If it is false, though, that leaker did his/her research.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

For reference they were the ones who claimed to know form "sources" that CoD: MW2 would arrive to Wii, rumor almost no one believed. And for those who still don't know, yes. MW2 arrived to wii back in the day*

Edit: *It didn't. I confused MW2 with MW3. Thanks to Hero Legend for pointing it out.

Mmmh. Given the edit and the further clarification, other times the said they had sources and turned out to be true?

Roo

I think we can pretty safely rule 20nm out, both because it offers little to no benefit over 28nm at a higher cost, and because AMD dropped all plans for 20nm around the time design work on NX started. In fact Fourth Storm's hypothesis, that it started as a 20nm chip and Nintendo effectively got a free upgrade when AMD switched everything over to 14nm, may well be the case.
Let's hope that is indeed the case.

I think we're looking at 3"-5" free-form display which would be about the size of the Vita screen, and Sharp's free-form displays also have an ultra-thin bezel which would also keep the controller from getting too big. I'm predicting a smaller controller of more traditional size than the Wii U gamepad

Same here, but that's still comparatively large for a device that only works around wifi points (going by the rumor), as compared to phones that people already have.

It's something that would only cater to an extremely niche demographic. I already know there's no way I'm lugging around something that won't even fit in my pocket that does nothing most of the time

...which is exactly why Nintendo must either have more tricks up their sleeve, or this rumor is completely false

Mory Dunz

Aonuma literally said on camera that the team will give it their all to reach holiday 2015 and that they'll make it.

You don't just throw in the towel 2 months later if the promise was on shaky ground to begin with. It's far more likely that they looked at their NX shedule and thought "one of dem Zelda games would fit nicely !"than outright lie.

If NX was a possibility, maybe he shouldn't have said that then. ;)

I mean, technically at this point it was an "outright lie". They haven't mentioned NX as a reason as of yet. They promised 2015, and then they delayed the Wii U version to 2016. The reason given was to make the game as best as it could be.

It's our speculation (which is most likely correct) that the delay was due mainly to the NX, but with no confirmation, we can't say for sure.

All we 100% know is that game looked kinda rough in late 2014, and was delayed some months later.

edit:
wait, the promise was exactly on shaky ground to begin with.

Not

Banned
I'M hoping Aonuma and the team actually had a breakthrough with a new design mechanic or some other major feature that they couldn't resist leaving out, and it wasn't just a matter of abandoning an almost-submerged ship. But who knows.

Malus

I'M hoping Aonuma and the team actually had a breakthrough with a new design mechanic or some other major feature that they couldn't resist leaving out, and it wasn't just a matter of abandoning an almost-submerged ship. But who knows.

Moar power and sales.

Pittree

Mmmh. Given the edit and the further clarification, other times the said they had sources and turned out to be true?

To clarify I did some research and didn't trust my (shitty) memory this time. What happened on the Modern Warfare 2 rumor, is that they got info from their sources that a CoD game was in development for Wii. They assumed it was 2, and published a note about it.

In the end there was a Call of Duty game in development for wii but it wasn't 2, it was MW: Reflex. Kotaku revealed the news about it and revogamers claimed that this was the title they were in the know and tought was MW2

How come no one has mentioned Monster Hunter for the NX yet, does Nintendo have a Exclusive deal with Capcom for the games to be only on Nintendo consoles?

If the NX gets Monster Hunter for Japan, and Final Fantasy I can see them doing very well. This also strengthens the argument that Square should port there games to NX.

NX
Monster Hunter NX
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Smash Bros NX
Zelda NX
Splatoon NX
Dragon Quest

It would be huge in Japan

THE:MILKMAN

I was just reading older articles about AMD's semi-custom design wins and came across this article from last July: http://www.kitguru.net/components/a...opment-of-its-third-major-semi-custom-design/

This last Kitguru opinion part doesn't bode well for NX being a relatively powerful Polaris based chip?

KitGuru Says: In fact, even combined total lifetime revenue of approximately $1 billion over approximately three years for two chips indicate that both products are rather basic and inexpensive. It is unlikely that they will power devices that are sold in very high volumes (i.e., tens of millions of units).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To clarify I did some research and didn't trust my (shitty) memory this time. What happened on the Modern Warfare 2 rumor, is that they got info from their sources that a CoD game was in development for Wii. They assumed it was 2, and published a note about it.

In the end there was a Call of Duty game in development for wii but it wasn't 2, it was MW: Reflex. Kotaku revealed the news about it and revogamers claimed that this was the title they were in the know and tought was MW2

Interesting and thanks for your research. Still, I'd like to have more examples about rumours from RevoGamers, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom