• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
How come no one has mentioned Monster Hunter for the NX yet, does Nintendo have a Exclusive deal with Capcom for the games to be only on Nintendo consoles?

If the NX gets Monster Hunter for Japan, and Final Fantasy I can see them doing very well. This also strengthens the argument that Square should port there games to NX.

NX
Monster Hunter NX
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Smash Bros NX
Zelda NX
Splatoon NX
Dragon Quest

It would be huge in Japan

I think this is the plan. Launch a portable device with those games in Japan. Sell a lot of them ( it was rumoured that Nintendo wanted to make 20million devices but manufacturers only wanted to make 10-12 million). Now Nintendo have a readymade user base to keep 3rd parties interested for when they launch in the west.

How come no one has mentioned Monster Hunter for the NX yet, does Nintendo have a Exclusive deal with Capcom for the games to be only on Nintendo consoles?

If the NX gets Monster Hunter for Japan, and Final Fantasy I can see them doing very well. This also strengthens the argument that Square should port there games to NX.

NX
Monster Hunter NX
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Smash Bros NX
Zelda NX
Splatoon NX
Dragon Quest

It would be huge in Japan
While I do see NX getting monster Hunter, it'll probably just be a port of the handheld version which may or may not come out anytime soon.
Don't see it getting a port of X and it being well received. Would be the first time in awhile that they'd have to make new assets for MH from scratch unlike MH3U

Malus

I was just reading older articles about AMD's semi-custom design wins and came across this article from last July: http://www.kitguru.net/components/a...opment-of-its-third-major-semi-custom-design/

This last Kitguru opinion part doesn't bode well for NX being a relatively powerful Polaris based chip?

"It is unlikely that they will power devices that are sold in very high volumes (i.e., tens of millions of units)."

Well that doesn't sound like they're talking the game console chip at all.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Well I hope NX is comparable to PS4K, I mentioned I thought it would be in the other thread and was promptly mocked lol. Who knows, a lot of this speculation is pretty enticing especially that rumoured games lineup.

Mario NX
Smash 4 NX
Zelda NX
Splatoon NX
FFXV
DQX
FFVII Remake (?)

Reads like a dream list but hey they're all feasible

THE:MILKMAN

"It is unlikely that they will power devices that are sold in very high volumes (i.e., tens of millions of units)."

Not sure, but the below quote could only be referring to a game console product being a Radeon/x86 based APU and maybe the “beyond gaming device” is Radeon/ARM for the SCD or controller? Or a completely separate product?

AMD announced two new semi-custom SoC design wins back in October, 2014. Both chips will integrate AMD Radeon graphics, one will be based on ARM architecture, another one will feature x86 general-purpose cores. One of the APUs is projected to power a “beyond gaming device”

The $1 billion over three years for both chips seems very low compared to the $3 billion for PS4/Xbox One AMD got in 18 months.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I think we can pretty safely rule 20nm out, both because it offers little to no benefit over 28nm at a higher cost, and because AMD dropped all plans for 20nm around the time design work on NX started. In fact Fourth Storm's hypothesis, that it started as a 20nm chip and Nintendo effectively got a free upgrade when AMD switched everything over to 14nm, may well be the case.

That's actually a good point. If planning for NX started before 20nm was ruled out, there's almost no doubt that Nintendo would have gone with it. Wii U was the only time that Nintendo was a node behind the competition at launch, and even then there would have been extra work in porting R700 to 28nm. That said, isn't XBone Slim rumored to use a 20nm APU?

OK, thanks for the answers. Could a custom GPU based on a pre-Polaris architecture contain the said features?

If Nintendo does that, they screwed up big time. Such a customized chip would mean that economies of scale depend entirely on NX's success. Just straight-up using Polaris would be better in the long run, even if the price is higher and supply is limited at launch.

That's actually a good point. If planning for NX started before 20nm was ruled out, there's almost no doubt that Nintendo would have gone with it. Wii U was the only time that Nintendo was a node behind the competition at launch, and even then there would have been extra work in porting R700 to 28nm. That said, isn't XBone Slim rumored to use a 20nm APU?

Re: Xbone slim, IIRC that's a linkedin rumour? That work could easily have been abandoned since then. But, if they found it was worth doing for xbox I wouldn't rule it out entirely unless the facilities aren't available for it. I am expecting that to be on sale within 3 months, so I think it'll be using whatever can be ready for that time. I guess in theory they could slimify the current box without losing the 28nm chip tho.

Main point from the poster you quoted was sony like to have the best possible hardware for there console, the only reason sony doesn't have the most powerful console every gen is cause competition releases later.
The poster I quoted specifically said they have never been weakest of their gen, or Vs their competition. If you've never been weaker vs your competition then you have to be more powerful than them. I think you may be defending what you would have said, what you would have liked for them to say, or what you'd prefer to believe instead of reality.

Anyway, this is really the wrong thread for this discussion, and I really don't like console warrior BS. Basically, it's possible to understand that a company has weaknesses without disliking said company. Also, the company doesn't need stalwart defenders trying to spin every negative thing they see. I like Sony, I've had every Sony console up until PS4, but they aren't infallible. They've had shortcomings every gen but their marketing has been able to spin their strengths up even when said strengths had absolutely nothing to do with gaming and were sometimes at the expense of performance.
Sony's greatest strengths are marketing and timing.

Besides, if you'd actually read what I said instead of automatically going on the defense you'd know that I didn't disagree with the main point the poster was making, just with the statement that Sony has never had the weak console. I'm finished talking about this.

Not sure, but the below quote could only be referring to a game console product being a Radeon/x86 based APU and maybe the “beyond gaming device” is Radeon/ARM for the SCD or controller? Or a completely separate product?

The $1 billion over three years for both chips seems very low compared to the $3 billion for PS4/Xbox One AMD got in 18 months.

Just wondering could it perhaps be possible due the terrible wii U sales Nintendo could maybe have paid AMD for more GPUs than ever got made and instead they gave Nintendo a very cheap deals on the new chips

Pittree

Interesting and thanks for your research. Still, I'd like to have more examples about rumours from RevoGamers, if possible.

I will post this last reference to revogamers since it is only vaguely related to one of the rumors posted by 10k and imo there are better topics being discussed in here:

On November 11 2014 Revogamers posted a note about rumors coming from a source of them going by the name Ricardo2001 claiming the following:

• Amiibo third wave arrives in february (2015) [announced the same day, November 11]
  • Several villains, among them Wario PacMan and Sonic (Wario and Pacman are from the 4th wave, Sonic is third wave. Worth noting that Nintendo announced 3d and 4th wave at the same time)
  • Nintendo wants amiibo to be compatible with Skylanders and Dinsey Infinity (Right and Wrong, however they later clarified that the negotation fell since Disney wanted Mario on Infinity wich they declined)

So this is the kind of rumor and information they get and they post as their own, take it as you will.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If Nintendo does that, they screwed up big time. Such a customized chip would mean that economies of scale depend entirely on NX's success. Just straight-up using Polaris would be better in the long run, even if the price is higher and supply is limited at launch.

Aren't their last used GPUs custom chips?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
tatsu-nodzyulh.gif

We're almost there.

This counting down to the date of the earnings release/news conference.

THE:MILKMAN

Just wondering could it perhaps be possible due the terrible wii U sales Nintendo could maybe have paid AMD for more GPUs than ever got made and instead they gave Nintendo a very cheap deals on the new chips

I honestly don't have a clue how AMD deals work but would think any of their customers would only pay for what is actually supplied?

Malus

I think someone mentioned "beyond gaming device" wasn't the exact wording...don't remember what it was exactly. Something unrelated to gaming I think.

MuchoMalo

Banned

That's just a guess on the author's part, as is the thought about them being very basic chips.

I believe that I heard that that's a misquote and they actually only said that "at least one" would be used for gaming. It could just be that they think Nintendo will flop out of the market in three years. :p

Also, I want to note that there were rumors that Apple has a lock on one of the three known semi-custom designs from AMD of 2017 iMacs.

Re: Xbone slim, IIRC that's a linkedin rumour? That work could easily have been abandoned since then. But, if they found it was worth doing for xbox I wouldn't rule it out entirely unless the facilities aren't available for it. I am expecting that to be on sale within 3 months, so I think it'll be using whatever can be ready for that time. I guess in theory they could slimify the current box without losing the 28nm chip tho.

Perhaps, but I don't see much point in making a slim console without a die shrink unless the Blu-Ray drive is dropped.

Aren't their last used GPUs custom chips?

Yes, but semi-custom designs are better these days. It reduces R&D costs in addition to the economies of scale benefits. Sony basically threw a couple of existing parts into an APU and called it a day, which is why PS4 was so cheap and is able to drop in price rapidly. The same applies to MS, but the ESRAM means that they benefit just a little bit less. Nintendo should copy Sony's approach since it's really the second best way to handle it (the first being to either straight-up use an off-the-shelf part or to allow AMD to sell the chip for desktops, but that might have the hardware piracy risk I was talking about earlier if someone can dumb and customize the firmware and OS.

The obvious answer is that it would be lower cost and therefore lower power?

That's not to say it wouldn't be good, but it would be a little disappointing after this thread.

It would have to be much lower power in that case. Less than a third of the revenue expected for two chips and one might not be for gaming? Either AMD is braced for another flop or XBone runs circles around NX. I think we need some additional context, such as AMD's estimates for PS4 and XBone when they announced those contracts.

imjust1n

Banned
Unannounced Sonic Game coming out for an unannounced Nintendo system. Stay tuned for details
im guessing it'll come out this year and hopefully be good based on the last tumblr post/tag

You know what thats why they have that 25th anniversery event in july because NX will already be talked about so of course the next sonic will be on the NX!

Thraktor

No, that wouldn't factor into things. Nintendo only pays AMD a royalty for the Wii U's GPU, they don't buy the physical chips from them. Nintendo would be buying the chips from Renesas (who fabricates them*).

Fun fact: Sony bought some of Renesas's fabrication plants to build image sensors, including the one which was fabricating Wii U's GPU. Fabrication was switched to a different plant after a while, but for a few months Sony was technically making the main chip in Nintendo's console.

No, that wouldn't factor into things. Nintendo only pays AMD a royalty for the Wii U's GPU, they don't buy the physical chips from them. Nintendo would be buying the chips from Renesas (who fabricates them*).

Fun fact: Sony bought some of Renesas's fabrication plants to build image sensors, including the one which was fabricating Wii U's GPU. Fabrication was switched to a different plant after a while, but for a few months Sony was technically making the main chip in Nintendo's console.

Well that explains the shortages in Japan
/sarcastic troll face.jpg

MuchoMalo

Banned

Damn, what's next? Samsung making Apple's chips!?

... Oh.
I kid

LordOfChaos

A new plant as in another one of Renesas's, or another company? Were the chips every any different?

So I asked this quite a few pages back but didn't get any answer. Maybe Thraktor can help.

IF the GPU is 14nm Polaris, does that imply that the CPU is 14nm as well? Can AMD combine a 28nm CPU and 14nm GPU onto a single APU die?

If the CPU is 14nm, then the only options would seem to be Zen or A72. Am I reading this correctly?

And given that Zen is substantially more powerful than Jaguar, that would not gel with LCGeek's CPU performance information.

Eradicate

In terms of the idea of NX using Vulkan, I think that could be legit as discussed in a previous thread.

Basically the timeline is that back in September 2015, Nintendo joined Khronos as a contributor, however they were not a part of the Vulkan working group at that time, as shown by the subsequent slides of the presentation:

dRtqUTG.png

Fast forward to Feb 2016, when Vulkan had its spec released, the presentation was updated to include Nintendo as part of the Vulkan working group. So in some form Nintendo will be using Vulkan. It could be part of their mobile efforts, portable, NX or both.

xpYUyJM.png

Finally, something I pointed out ages ago as a crackpot theory, but still could be a thing - back when the vision for NX was laid out by Nintendo, this slide showed up. I feel that the colouring of RGB used here is no mistake. The WiiU and Tablet appear as the same light blue, 3DS as the dark blue and NX seemingly being the mix / in between. Meanwhile PC and Smartphone represent completely different colours / use cases, who knows. Would not surprise me to see NX encompass both the handheld and the console that work together, and perhaps even some use for tablets with the system along with WiiU stuff.

nx%20slide.jpg

I don't think you're a crackpot at all Nzyme32! #TeamTablet

Honestly, they could have gone with random colors or left them all the same, but there are some color connections here to me! Leave no stone unturned! Very cool find! I'll be a crackpot with you!

Rösti;201153986 said:
tatsu-nodzyulh.gif

We're almost there.

This counting down to the date of the earnings release/news conference.

I have to say...I'm a fan of all these Kimishima gifs on this thread so far! Kimishima Countdowns (Kountdowns?) are incredible!

Thinking about the rumored games, I feel the remastered ones exist because the extra screen is either being taken away or is optional, so things need retooled. It just doesn't seem like upgrading the graphics, adding a few more things, etc. is worth going through the hassle of remanufacturing and distributing media for. (Please be cartridges!) But, thinking of Luigi's Mansion 3, much less possibly being a launch game, I'm wondering if they may be going with that because there is actually some functionality the game uses to help people with the controls, inputs, altered screen play? (By altered screen, I'm thinking having this separate screen factor into the gameplay somehow. If the screen/tablet has a camera, you could maybe do some AR things with it being separated from the controller. Maybe even different functions if you have the screen attached to the controller compared to it being detached.)

I know they have been making different titles to help showcase functionality (like Wii Sports), but it's just neat to think about their earliest system titles and what they may mean for how the game will control!

Also, so interesting with the happy accident 14nm theory going around!

MuchoMalo

Banned
So I asked this quite a few pages back but didn't get any answer. Maybe Thraktor can help.

IF the GPU is 14nm Polaris, does that imply that the CPU is 14nm as well? Can AMD combine a 28nm CPU and 14nm GPU onto a single APU die?

If the CPU is 14nm, then the only options would seem to be Zen or A72. Am I reading this correctly?

And given that Zen is substantially more powerful than Jaguar, that would not gel with LCGeek's CPU performance information.

The APU would be designed and manufactured as one chip, so the whole thing has to be on the same process node. And shrinking Puma+ to 14nmFF isn't out of the question.

beril

can't they take pretty much any cpu architecture and put in on 14nm? Old chips get die shrinks all the time without it seemingly being a big deal. Or do they really need to design the whole achitecture for a specific node? Obviously moving one design to a larger node will cause issues, but once a fabrication node is mature it should be relatively straight forward to scale down one design to a smaller one I believe.

Schnozberry

can't they take pretty much any cpu architecture and put in on 14nm? Old chips get die shrinks all the time without it seemingly being a big deal. Or do they really need to design the whole achitecture for a specific node? Obviously moving one design to a larger node will cause issues, but once a fabrication node is mature it should be relatively straight forward to scale down one design to a smaller one I believe.

This is true. They could also go the unconventional route of using a multi-chip module again rather than an APU, which would let them decouple the CPU from the GPU and use whatever combination they want.

ReyVGM

True...
but the thing is: do we know that Zelda U was delayed only because of NX?
It's possible, but that Late 2014 VGA footage looked kinda rough and unpolished. And they purposely had that view and not a direct feed. Maybe the game was gonna be delayed regardless of NX.

Nintendo always adds the graphical touches at the end of development, so Zelda U looking rough had nothing to do with a delay.
That delay was 100% because of the NX (and of course, extra dev time doesn't hurt).

Just look at the Twilight Princess delay announcement, it's almost word for word with what the Zelda U delay announcement said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom