• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

If I remember correctly even Trevs source said the system is "planned" to launch this year. Not confirmed..

I'm not quite sure what the difference is there lol.

This is his exact quote: "My verified source from Nintendo has informed and shown proof of an internal US marketing budget and scheduling overview for 2016 focusing on Wii U and 3DS, with key parts highlighting The Legend of Zelda NX to be a holiday 2016 release either same day at Zelda Wii U or shortly after during the Nintendo NX holiday 2016 launch window."

Sad we can't look over the videos anymore.

Pokemaniac

If I remember correctly even Trevs source said the system is "planned" to launch this year. Not confirmed..

That's kinda my point, though. The plan is to release it this year. If you think it's releasing next year, that means you must think it's going to get delayed.

I dont see why they won't push Mario to late 2017. Retro's game, Luigi's Mansion 3(if it's happening), Pikmin 4 can handle the launch window.

Plus they have surprises coming.
Their 3 years of needed dev time should be done by 2016...depends on what they have ready to release and if they feel their line up is strong enough

Doctre81

That's kinda my point, though. The plan is to release it this year. If you think it's releasing next year, that means you must think it's going to get delayed.

I think that the 2016 release plan could be old infomation. Just my thoughts though. Don't forget that the 3ds was supposed to launch in a different year than planned. In the us anyway,

Nintendo has to get this launch right. If things are not in place they need to wait.

Thraktor

I didn't know if you wanted the attention or not so I called you a tech gaf source :p

I'm quite fine without the attention, it was just easier for me to reveal my true identity, as it were, before commenting on the matter.

Yeah, the more 14nm seems likely, the more 14nm A72 seems to be the CPU that's going to be in the NX (which is 40% better in performance compared to the jaguar in PS4 and Xbox). The handheld will likely use the highly efficient A53.

14nm 8-Core A72 2.2Ghz
8GB GDDR5
Custom Polaris 14nm 2.0 Tflops

When reading up Polaris 10 and 11 info, I learned that it only comes in HBM and gddr5. HBM being expensive is likely for the high end Polaris 10 while the gddr5 is for the Polaris 11, which is aimed for notebooks and mid range desktops. Nintendo could theoretically still ask for DDR4 or DDR3 and add some eDRAM to counteract the latency, but that seems unnecessary.

Actually, all of AMD's Polaris desktop and laptop GPUs will be using GDDR5/GDDR5X. They're keeping HBM2 for Vega next year.

That said, their graphics architecture is designed in such a way that they can swap out the memory controller fairly easily, so they could accommodate pretty much whichever choice of RAM Nintendo would care to make without much difficulty.

Pokemaniac

I think that the 2016 release plan could be old infomation. Just my thoughts though. Don't forget that the 3ds was supposed to launch in a different year than planned. In the us anyway,

Nintendo has to get this launch right. If thing are not in place they need to wait.

We're about 7 months before the expected launch, with nothing to suggest anything has really changed all that much since Trev's report. At this point, something would probably have to go seriously wrong for the system to miss this year.

MK_768

Gamecube also made the mistake of not launching with a mario title. I doubt they will make that mistake again.

So did the Wii....lol

Ok and do you think the NX will launch with a title with the mainstream appeal of wiipsorts?

But you seem to be making the argument that Mario not launching with Gamecube was the reason the Gamecube failed.

We're essentially saying that Mario doesn't make or break a console lol.

Doctre81

What I am saying is that had WiiU launched with a 3d world or better yet a galaxy 3 instead of NSMBU the system would have done a lot better. And def not went 4 months selling 180k total of whatever that low as hell number was.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
More or less what I'm expecting. The official name could be cool though.

I think we might hear something about NX before June 14. I think June 14 is going to be major focus on the games.

smash, luigi's mansion, pikmin...

what is this the fucking gamecube?
because that would be great

I never thought about that. That was great nostalgia.

We are going to get Smash, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Zelda and Mario within 6-8 months of NX launch title. That actually sound great.

MK_768

What I am saying is that had WiiU launched with a 3d world or better yet a galaxy 3 instead of NSMBU the system would have done a lot better. And def not went 4 months selling 180k total of whatever that low as hell number was.

Maybe...maybe not.

mavo

Banned
I dont see why they won't push Mario to late 2017. Retro's game, Luigi's Mansion 3(if it's happening), Pikmin 4 can handle the launch window.

Plus they have surprises coming.

And there is Zelda U. No way they release a Zelda and Mario game together, even if Mario is ready they will just release it the next year.

-Horizon-

Zelda NX will come first. They'll also show a Mario game but it won't come this year. Maybe february or march. Retro's game will also be 2017.

Assuming the controller remote play is the gimmick, I think Zelda NX will make a pretty strong case if its up to snuff. Console zelda on the go is pretty sick...then again that's what everyone said with the vita and we all know how that turned out.
That's why I kind of think that that part of 10k's rumor set yesterday isn't real. I don't think that's gonna be the NX's hook.

Thraktor

What I am saying is that had WiiU launched with a 3d world or better yet a galaxy 3 instead of NSMBU the system would have done a lot better.

Had it launched with Mario Maker it probably would have done a bit better, but I don't know how much 3D World would have increased the baseline (as much as I love the game). It's easy to make these sorts of judgements with hindsight, though. It's much more difficult to judge in advance when it comes to what's going to move hardware. Not many people would have predicted that Splatoon would have been one of Wii U's biggest console-sellers.

Doctre81

Had it launched with Mario Maker it probably would have done a bit better, but I don't know how much 3D World would have increased the baseline (as much as I love the game). It's easy to make these sorts of judgements with hindsight, though. It's much more difficult to judge in advance when it comes to what's going to move hardware. Not many people would have predicted that Splatoon would have been one of Wii U's biggest console-sellers.

Based on how it started to sell AFTER 3d world launched I'd say that is proof. The system has never sold as bad as it did before the game came out. Even with a huge drought of new games.

Nanashrew

Banned
Wii sold like it did at launch because of wiisports. Not Zelda. We would have bought it on GC regardless.

Valid point. Wii had a strong lineup of titles. Zelda for the core audience, Wii sports to show off what the system can really do. NX needs a good, strong lineup.

I'm quite fine without the attention, it was just easier for me to reveal my true identity, as it were, before commenting on the matter.

Actually, all of AMD's Polaris desktop and laptop GPUs will be using GDDR5/GDDR5X. They're keeping HBM2 for Vega next year.

That said, their graphics architecture is designed in such a way that they can swap out the memory controller fairly easily, so they could accommodate pretty much whichever choice of RAM Nintendo would care to make without much difficulty.

So on GDDR5 vs LPDDR4, what are the pros and cons? GDDR5 has much more bandwidth. Is it more expensive as well? LPDDR4 has significant power savings, so I would expect it to be used for the handheld. Would LPDDR4 be a bottleneck for the type of Polaris that may be in the console at 1080p, even with texture compression?

I'm thinking yes, based on what we've seen from the likes of Tonga and the GTX 950/960, which use GDDR5 with similar texture compression. The 128 bit bus the 960 uses seems to bottleneck it in certain situations.

MK_768

No maybe's lol. And I think when Iwata said they would go back to a "Nintendo like solution" at launch (saying wiiu really wasn't) he was talking about having a major mario title day one. Maybe even bundled...

Did Iwata say that or are you assuming again lol? Put up the receipts of him talking about having a major mario title day one.

And yes maybe. 3D World could've been shown off before the launch of Wii U and helped with the hype of the system ALA Galaxy for the Wii. That could've helped the system just like it being out on launch could've helped the system. There are no certainties and to be honest it's unlikely it would've helped that much.
Why wouldn't it? WiiU started selling way better after 3d world came out. After having the worse sales quarter ever.

And you are also saying that 3D Mario would've helped Wii U more than the 2D Mario that came out on launch. Your post here doesn't prove that. It just proves Mario helps sell systems. You can prove 3D Mario helped Wii U a little bit but you haven't provent hat 2D Mario wouldn't.

So I mean..jump to your conclusions but you have no way in truly knowing. even though you act like you do for some reason lol

Doctre81

Did Iwata say that or are you assuming again lol? Put up the receipts of him talking about having a major mario title day one.

And yes maybe. 3D World could've been shown off before the launch of Wii U and helped with the hype of the system ALA Galaxy for the Wii. That could've helped the system just like it being out on launch could've helped the system. There are no certainties and to be honest it's unlikely it would've helped that much.

4066e5e72a93eeb4ad1a432bc619f8c9.png

That to me says "mario at launch" lol. But maybe that is just my take on it,

d417e246fa32bde0de536924445e85db.png

ozfunghi

So on GDDR5 vs LPDDR4, what are the pros and cons? GDDR5 has much more bandwidth. Is it more expensive as well? LPDDR4 has significant power savings, so I would expect it to be used for the handheld. Would LPDDR4 be a bottleneck for the type of Polaris that may be in the console at 1080p, even with texture compression?

I'm thinking yes, based on what we've seen from the likes of Tonga and the GTX 950/960, which use GDDR5 with similar texture compression. The 128 bit bus the 960 uses seems to bottleneck it in certain situations.

I thought latency was better on LPDDR4 while still providing "enough" bandwidth (but not as much), iirc.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Something to keep in mind with Mario at launch,

Miyamoto to the Associated Press in December 2014 said:
Since we first created Mario, people have compared him to Mickey Mouse. I've always said Mickey Mouse evolved with each evolution in animation. You saw Mickey Mouse each step of the way. From early on, I wanted Mario to be that character in the digital world, so that with each digital evolution, he was there to usher in the next era. I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/56c0...9a5380f/miyamoto-amiibo-zelda-and-mario-movie

MK_768

4066e5e72a93eeb4ad1a432bc619f8c9.png

That to me says "mario at launch" lol. But maybe that is just my take on it,

Dude. I know Iwata said the Nintendo-like solution. I asked where did he say anything about Mario. You made an assumption/opinion but treated it as fact.

It's fine if you think i means Mario at launch. I'm not gonna get on you for that lol. I'll get on you for treating opinions as facts ya know.

And the 2nd picture means nothing really. We know a 3D Mario is likely coming to NX.

Doctre81

Dude. I know Iwata said the Nintendo-like solution. I asked where did he say anything about Mario. You made an assumption/opinion but treated it as fact.

It's fine if you think i means Mario at launch. I'm not gonna get on you for that lol. I'll get on you for treating opinions as facts ya know.

Oh gotcha. Sorry it's a habit lol.

MK_768

Oh gotcha. Sorry it's a habit lol.

It's fine. It's an internet thing lol. Sorry if I came off as an ass lol. I just prefer to have a discussion rather than someone saying they are right without really knowing. Cause that's when conversations turn and egos come out.

So anyways, I think at the very least Nintendo should show off Mario at E3. It doesn't have to come out at launch, but seeing a game that we know is coming could really drive the hype.

Mory Dunz

Based on how it started to sell AFTER 3d world launched I'd say that is proof. The system has never sold as bad as it did before the game came out. Even with a huge drought of new games.

"Way better" is an interesting phrase to use with Wii u lol. And any long term rise was likely due to the Mario kart bundle 5 months later than 3d world.

But games (especially first party) weren't Wii U's main problem at launch. It was a poor concept and even more poorly advertised

LordOfChaos

I thought latency was better on LPDDR4 while still providing "enough" bandwidth (but not as much), iirc.

Imo, not near enough for something targeting better than PS4 according to these rumours.

LPDDR4-vs-LPDDR3-710x237.jpg

Say they double the chips and pinouts on that, only landing them at 50GB/s vs the 170GB/s GDDR5 in the then three+ year old PS4.

They could do a fast eDRAM pool...Then that get them to the more developer issue inducing state of the XBO. Even if they do 64MB eDRAM which will be enough for 1080p unlike where the XBO struggles, it still makes the developer think about where to put things.

If I were making it, definitely GDDR5. Or even better, Micron did say they had GDDR5X customers in Q1, not sure of the scale up.

While I'm talking, the latency factor of GDDR5 is often overstated I think, as it's longer in cycles, but since GDDR5 is also clocked much higher, it's similar in actual units of time.

Best game at launch for 3ds was an old port of street fighter 4. That's crazy lol
Yeah, it was shockingly bad. No clue why they didn't release it at a later date. I think in its first year it got 3D Land and Mario Kart despite launching with 3 mediocre launch titles without any brand recognition (Nintendogs, Steeldiver, and pilot wings but with miis) Should've delayed the launch a few months to get at least one of those

Yeah definitely less latency but it's the "enough" bandwidth that I'm curious about. I'm thinking that if Nintendo is going Polaris and greater than ps4 performance, they should probably do a single pool of high bandwidth memory, instead of a split setup like the WiiU or XBO. Which in my mind leaves GDDR5 or LPDDR4 as the best candidates.

Doctre81

"Way better" is an interesting phrase to use with Wii u lol. And any long term rise was likely due to the Mario kart bundle 5 months later than 3d world.

But games (especially first party) weren't Wii U's main problem at launch. It was a poor concept and even more poorly advertised

Can't agree there. Those were probably the worst first party launch titles from them...ever on a console.

Anth0ny

everything was wii u's main problem at launch

they literally did nothing right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom