• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

i think they're going to go full wii with the first party stuff at launch

zelda cross gen port
tech demo game

and that's it.

only difference is the smash wii u and possibly mario maker/splatoon

as much as I'd like ead tokyo mario or pikmin 4, I think they're going to space those across the "launch window".

Fair that it could scale up to at least 100GB/s, but does it seem like Nintendo to have a large system with 16 chips needed for that 256 bit bus.

Then again maybe we need to throw such assumptions about Nintendo out the door for this one, but if they could do that and more bandwidth in half the GDDR5 chips, I don't see why not. A large system with a load of LPDDR4 chips gets you only to 100, half the chips with GDDR5 can get you closer to 200.

There's power draw, but I hope Nintendo isn't too conservative there this round.

Yeah it will be interesting to see what they do. On the one hand, LPDDR4 allows significantly lower power draw, which as Thraktor says in the post referenced above, would be important for low standby power draw. Which may be important to them if they envision a "remote play" style controller that you can take with you and play the home console away from home. The console would need to be on so you could wake it up when you want to play.

On the other hand, GDDR5 would seem to be perhaps slightly cheaper (?) and much better performance, though higher power draw.

It's looking like 10k's guess of 8 A72 cores, Polaris, and 8GB GDDR5 is a pretty decent guess of what NX may look like.

xandaca

Redsteel wouldn't have been a bad game had the controls worked as advertised.

Or if it hadn't come out half-baked. There were so many features listed in previews which never made it into the released game, and so many cool little ideas within the game itself (destructible environments, non-linear mission selection, etc) which could have been made into so much more than they were. I didn't hate the game by any means and it was great fun when it worked (mostly in the second half), the problem was that so much of it felt like an accumulation of temporary fixes and shortcuts rather than a cohesive, fully developed game. Red Steel 2 was a lot of fun, though very shallow.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

zelda cross gen port
tech demo game

and that's it.

as much as I'd like ead tokyo mario or pikmin 4, I think they're going to space those across the "launch window".

The Wii had 3 launch titles. 1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. 2. ExciteTruck. 3. Wii Sports. Can you think of a console with a better first party launch? Tech demo game is also a really lazy shortsighted terminology when Nintendo program everything as a gameplay prototype.

Ogodei

And there is Zelda U. No way they release a Zelda and Mario game together, even if Mario is ready they will just release it the next year.

They need some original tentpole game. The launch is going to look sad for people who aren't already in the tank for Nintendo if all they have are ports of Wii U games and third party multiplats, even if one of the Wii U ports is Zelda.

Unless they do have a blue ocean original, they're going to need a Mario game, either Kart 9 or Super.

AniHawk

The Wii had 3 launch titles. 1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. 2. ExciteTruck. 3. Wii Sports. Can you think of a console with a better first party launch? Tech demo game is also a really lazy shortsighted terminology when Nintendo program everything as a gameplay prototype.

ps3 had resistance, untold legends, and genji. i believe it's known as in marketing circles as 'the holy trinity'

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
And there is Zelda U. No way they release a Zelda and Mario game together, even if Mario is ready they will just release it the next year.

Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword came out on the same day.

ps3 had resistance, untold legends, and genji. i believe it's known as in marketing circles as 'the holy trinity'

I actually don't hate on those three so much. But those aforementioned 3 for Wii are unparalleled.

MK_768

The Mario/Zelda thing is different because they weren't for the same console. One was for the handheld and the other was for the console.

Linkhero1

Aside from the fact that's been done twice, there's a high probability that we'll have a 3D Mario title within the launch window.

3D World came out in 2013. It'll be 3 years since it came out by the time the NX launches.

Red Devil

Just because a game sells more software than another does not mean it is a bigger "system seller".

Let me give you an example...

Farcry 4 sold 2x as much on ps4 than bloodbourne. Which is considered a system seller on ps4? People did not buy a ps4 because of farcry 4...but many did because of bloodbourne...see the difference?

Huh yes, there's people who didn't buy a PS4 for Bloodborne... In fact the majority appear to have bought it for third party games, so not sure how it's comparable.

They're more system sellers than NSMB is, that's for sure.

Sure, but the 28 million of New Super Mario Bros. Wii beg to differ over the 12 million of Super Mario Galaxy...

Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword came out on the same day.

No they didn't, they came out like 2 weeks apart from each other, you might be confusing it with Super Mario 3D World and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Mario Party: Island Tour also came out that day.

KingBroly

Banned
Sure, but the 28 million of New Super Mario Bros. Wii beg to differ over the 12 million of Super Mario Galaxy...

But was NSMBW a system seller? Nope. NSMB is a 'nice to have' game. If NSMB was a system-selling franchise, Wii U would've exploded out of the gate, but it flickered then died.

Instro

It's not different since there is essentially one core Nintendo user base.

In software sales it makes no difference, in propping up hardware sales it might. Of course if they have the lineup to allow for that kind of release then maybe I could see it, but historically they've spaced out their biggest games for a piece of hardware to help drive sales at different points of the year.

The same core base that brought 50M 3ds' and 12M WiiUs? C'mon. It's different.

I would agree that it's different, I have like 40 games for my Wii U, and like 10 for my 3DS. I wouldn't say I'm the typical NINTENDO gamer, but I'm a typical gamer and the 3DS has a certain library which doesn't appeal to me.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
No they didn't, they came out like 2 weeks apart from each other, you might be confusing it with Super Mario 3D World and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Mario Party: Island Tour also came out that day.

Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword were both released on November 18th in Europe. In Japan and America, they were released like a week apart.

In software sales it makes no difference, in propping up hardware sales it might. Of course if they have the lineup to allow for that kind of release then maybe I could see it, but historically they've spaced out their biggest games for a piece of hardware to help drive sales at different points of the year.

I understand that some hold on to that argument, but if we look at sales, neither 3D Mario nor 3D Zelda are the companies biggest sellers anymore. They are still huge, but not the biggest selling IPs at the moment. They still will always serve as the a·vant-garde / opus magnum / technical wow showcase of the systems even if Animal Crossing 10 and Mario Kart 10 double their sales.

Red Devil

But was NSMBW a system seller? Nope. NSMB is a 'nice to have' game. If NSMB was a system-selling franchise, Wii U would've exploded out of the gate, but it flickered then died.

How can you tell it wasn't there isn't really a way to measure that? And so much for that New Super Mario Bros. U is still the second best selling game on Wii U, and the reasons of Wii U failure isn't because it launched with that game.

How can you tell it wasn't there isn't really a way to measure that? And so much for that New Super Mario Bros. U is still the second best selling game on Wii U, and the reasons of Wii U failure isn't because it launched with that game.

I would say that NSMB is a system seller, in the sense that it probably sold systems, it just wasn't enough of a system seller.

I would go far as to say the Wii U doesn't have any major system sellers, as in, none of my friends who come over (who always ask to play the Wii U) see a game they like enough to drop ~$300 on

NSMBU's biggest issue is that it was released in the same year as the sub par NSMB2. A few months apart, I think.
NSMB2 created the "Mario fatigue" that lasted until 3D World
Someone giving people that idea probably didn't help with Nintendo's branding since that's their mascot

Red Devil

Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword were both released on November 18th in Europe. In Japan and America, they were released like a week apart.

In the americas Super Mario 3D Land came out in November 13th of 2011, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword in November 20th.

In Japan, SM3DL came out in November 3rd of 2011 and TLoZ:SS came out on November 23rd of 2011.

I would say that NSMB is a system seller, in the sense that it probably sold systems, it just wasn't enough of a system seller.

I would go far as to say the Wii U doesn't have any major system sellers, as in, none of my friends who come over (who always ask to play the Wii U) see a game they like enough to drop ~$300 on

That might be more like it. Then again you'd be crazy to pay $300 for a Wii U when you can get it for $200.

MK_768

I do want to clarify my position on the Mario and Zelda argument. I dont deny that Nintendo can release a 3D Zelda and a 3D Mario on launch day or within a couple weeks. It's possible, obviously. however, they simply don't do that on the SAME console. It is significantly different to launch a Zelda game on one and a Mario game on another on the same day.

If they were to do it, fine. It's just highly unlikely. Personally, they don't have to do it either. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they could go the Wii rout and launch Mario 1 year after NX's release. However, they would need to show it off at E3 this year. We saw/see it with the PS4, hype sells.

If they make it optional, no one will use it.
If they make it mandatory, no one will use it.

I love my GamePad but for the good of Nintendo, they should forgo it
If you make remote play a system wide feature then devs would need to do anything to it. 1st party devs could use it as an add on stuff like second screen inventory management for Zelda.

Red Devil

I do want to clarify my position on the Mario and Zelda argument. I dont deny that Nintendo can release a 3D Zelda and a 3D Mario on launch day or within a couple weeks. It's possible, obviously. however, they simply don't do that on the SAME console. It is significantly different to launch a Zelda game on one and a Mario game on another on the same day.

If they were to do it, fine. It's just highly unlikely. Personally, they don't have to do it either. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they could go the Wii rout and launch Mario 1 year after NX's release. However, they would need to show it off at E3 this year. We saw/see it with the PS4, hype sells.

Then again, the only rumour involving Mario on NX launch is a port of Super Mario Maker, I think that more or less removes the chance of a new Mario game at launch.

Proelite

Imo, not near enough for something targeting better than PS4 according to these rumours.

LPDDR4-vs-LPDDR3-710x237.jpg

Say they double the chips and pinouts on that, only landing them at 50GB/s vs the 170GB/s GDDR5 in the then three+ year old PS4.

4 x 64 bit LPPDR4 chip on a 256 bit bus will be 136 gb/s. Which is more than enough to feed a ~2 teraflop gcn 1.3 gpu.

MK_768

Then again, the only rumour involving Mario on NX launch is a port of Super Mario Maker, I think that more or less removes the chance of a new Mario game at launch.

I dont think the rumor is about Mario Maker coming at launch. It's just that a port is being developed to come out. It's assumed to come at launch or launch window. Would it keep a 3D Mario from being released? I would lean towards yes. However, Nintendo may go crazy.

Hip Hop

If Nintendo does something like the Wii U game pad then they really should make it optional.

I love off-tv play, and if that is the reason they would once again include it, I'd rather too prefer them to make it optional for price and third party support sake.

They should go the Vita route, make whatever handheld system they are coming out with to be the second screen as an option.

zelda cross gen port
tech demo game

and that's it.

Which I'm totally okay with, because I think having too many AAA 1st party games(especially new games), is too much in the first quarter. They really need to space them out to reduce the risk of droughts.

They need solid 3rd party support at launch though from publishers like EA and Activision. If they have something Mario at launch, that would help too(perhaps smash bros 4 port could be it). Zelda will help draw in the hardcore nintendo gamers, while mario will get the casuals. Hopefully third party games like CoD get FULL support as their cometitors. Even the Wii U versions of BO2 and Ghosts didn't have features like theatre mode or DLC(besides nuketown and that other map, but we didn't get them on day 1 even).

Red Devil

I dont think the rumor is about Mario Maker coming at launch. It's just that a port is being developed to come out. It's assumed to come at launch or launch window. Would it keep a 3D Mario from being released? I would lean towards yes. However, Nintendo may go crazy.

But is there anything pointing out that a 3D Mario game would come out at launch what if it's a 2D one?

But is there anything pointing out that a 3D Mario game would come out at launch what if it's a 2D one?
Might be wishful thinking, but the 2D Mario team likely made Mario Maker (?)
The 3D Mario team usually has a game ready every 3 years. Would be 3 years since 3D World by the end of 2016 so launch window seems likely
Edit: double post, sorry :x

Red Devil

But the rumors specifically mentions that MM and Splatoon aren't certain yet nor does it say any of them are set to release at launch

If I'm getting it right, then the thread title should be changed...

The 3D Mario team usually has a game ready every 3 years. Would be 3 years since 3D World by the end of 2016 so launch window seems likely

Didn't the 3D Mario team made the Captain Toad game?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Theoretically

1. A Super Mario Maker DX / Mario Maker 1.5 could be at NX launch from the Kyoto R&D at Nintendo
2. Tokyo R&D's next gen action game may not be 3D Mario. We assume it is, but it may not be. Especially if they are banking on Super Mario Maker DX at launch.

I love off-tv play, and if that is the reason they would once again include it, I'd rather too prefer them to make it optional for price and third party support sake.

They should go the Vita route, make whatever handheld system they are coming out with to be the second screen as an option.

I agree with this 100%.

GIVE PEOPLE THE OPTION NINTENDO!!

Theoretically

1. A Super Mario Maker DX / Mario Maker 1.5 could be at NX launch from the Kyoto R&D at Nintendo
2. Tokyo R&D's next gen action game may not be 3D Mario. We assume it is, but it may not be. Especially if they are banking on Super Mario Maker DX at launch.
It's a Rosalina spin off :p
please

If I'm getting it right, then the thread title should be changed...
Didn't the 3D Mario team made the Captain Toad game?
I don't think Captain toad would've taken that many resources to delay it past the launch window (first 6 months or so)
Just read the quote in the OP about the ports if you're confused

MK_768

I dont know why it seems likely because of this. I mean I understand why you are saying that but there's a lot working against the idea of it happening. Your 3 year argument is why I assume a 3D Mario is coming, but I kinda think it stops there. Again, It may happen but to me there's a lot pointing towards it not happening.

mavo

Banned
It's a Rosalina spin off :p
please

I don't think Captain toad would've taken that many resources to delay it past the launch window (first 6 months or so)
Just read the quote in the OP about the ports if you're confused

No further than may/june probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom