• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Can't agree there. Those were probably the worst first party launch titles from them...ever on a console.
NSMBU was actually really damn good. The problem was that it was more of the same. But I do agree that more could have been done at launch.

AzaK

I'm glad that you think that anything with Nintendo on the box automatically puts a glass ceiling on any aspirations for sales that even the most garbage indie title could achieve.

And people have been saying they're "bottom of the heap" since the Gamecube era ended. And yet there the Wii U was with 3rd-party games at launch. Clearly that went wrong even before the hardware launched, but yet they greenlit the games being made at all, so it really flies against this notion that 3rd-parties somehow don't want to be on a Nintendo console, that they will never entertain the risk, despite every entertainment industry being a risk-based industry.

I think you must be blind to everything that's happened with Nintendo these last 8 years since the Wii fell off a cliff and they followed with Wii U. Like I said, if Nintendo go out of their way to get devs to make games, those devs (unless they are money hatted) need some really good feeling about whether they think it'll be a success. Up until now Nintendo has shown that it's unlikely.

Nintendo's position is just a continuation of their trend since they first releases the NES (Wii bump notwithstanding). The Wii U is the bottom of the graph. Whether it's the bottom of a trough or will continue waits to be seen, but that don't think for a second that publishers and developers would not be very wary about Nintendo hardware.

Mory Dunz

Can't agree there. Those were probably the worst first party launch titles from them...ever on a console.

I feel that, with all things the same( such as advertising, price, 3rd party support, storage, power, communication, and all the other bad things), even a great 1st party lineup would've done jack. I think even with a launch of kart, 3d world, and Zelda/smash, Wii u would be firmly in 3Rd place launch aligned.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Wait but everyone believes the nx just now hit mass production and is supposed to come out this year.

Wii entered mass production in september of 2006 btw.

Right, but Nintendo isn't a big enough customer to get first dibs on production. Even AMD and Nvidia most likely won't jump on until 2018 if TSMC hits that deadline (and I doubt that they will). But maybe it's just because I find still being team holiday 2017 at this point to be very odd...

Doctre81

Right, but Nintendo isn't a big enough customer to get first dibs on production. Even AMD and Nvidia most likely won't jump on until 2018 if TSMC hits that deadline (and I doubt that they will). But maybe it's just because I find still being team holiday 2017 at this point to be very odd...

Are you sure?

Honestly the only thing I can remember is Twilight Princess and Wii Sport.
The Wii launch and post launch for well over a year had a consistent and steady stream of games. I believe Nintendo published at least a game a month that sold over a million copies for the first year of the system alone. The game droughts didn't really start to hit the system until after MK Wii released mid-08. It's been since the N64 days that Nintendo has been apologizing and promising to solve software drought issues.

So this thread has jumped 44 odd pages since I last checked it. Has there been any new leaks besides the lady on Twitter (launch games) and LCGeek?

Doctre81

The Wii launch and post launch for well over a year had a consistent and steady stream of games. I believe Nintendo published at least a game a month that sold over a million copies for the first year of the system alone. The game droughts didn't really start to hit the system until after MK Wii released mid-08. It's been since the N64 days that Nintendo has been apologizing and promising to solve software drought issues.

There was never a drought of games but there was a drought of GOOD games in the first half of 2007. We were thirsty and buying anything lol.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The wii launch was great, dude.

I can agree. Regarding Nintendo, Excite Truck was really fun in an arcade-y way, Twilight Princess was a new Zelda game, and we all know how Wii Sports ended up.

Outside of that, I can't remember much of what was available. I believe I bought a few 3rd party games. Perhaps Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, Trauma Center: Second Blood, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance? I remember being pretty satisfied with Wii's launch.

With Wii U, I was definitely busier than I had been when Wii launched, but I don't think I got as much longevity out of those titles as I did with the Wii ones. Same goes for 3DS (the price drop day probably should have been how they launched originally). However, I really would like to go back and play more of Nintendo Land at some point.

ozfunghi

Imo, not near enough for something targeting better than PS4 according to these rumours.

LPDDR4-vs-LPDDR3-710x237.jpg

Say they double the chips and pinouts on that, only landing them at 50GB/s vs the 170GB/s GDDR5 in the then three+ year old PS4.

They could do a fast eDRAM pool...Then that get them to the more developer issue inducing state of the XBO. Even if they do 64MB eDRAM which will be enough for 1080p unlike where the XBO struggles, it still makes the developer think about where to put things.

If I were making it, definitely GDDR5. Or even better, Micron did say they had GDDR5X customers in Q1, not sure of the scale up.

While I'm talking, the latency factor of GDDR5 is often overstated I think, as it's longer in cycles, but since GDDR5 is also clocked much higher, it's similar in actual units of time.

I 'm not sure, but i think Thraktor made a post where he compared these memory sollutions in this thread or the old one (reddit rumor thread).

Found it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200481200&postcount=3498

You can do a search in that thread with his name (as poster) and lpddr4 as keyword and many more will pop up.

MAtgS

Best game at launch for 3ds was an old port of street fighter 4. That's crazy lol

The secret best launch game was SM64DS. Yes, that was a launch title of the original DS, but 3DS made it playable.

Yeah, the DS didn't have that great a start either....

There was never a drought of games but there was dfe a drought of GOOD games in 2007. We were thirsty and buying anything lol.
Quality is another debate but I think Nintendo did a good job in the first year in supplying ample games that sufficiently appealed to the desired audience. Nintendo published and released a lot of titles in the first year that sold well over a million such as Wii Sports, TP, Wario Ware, Wii Play, Super Paper Mario, Big Brain Academy, Super Mario Strikers, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, etc. The sad thing is SMG was probably the first 'core' Wii title developed from the ground up for it as a lot of the titles released in the Wii's first year were originally intended for the GCN.

LordOfChaos

I 'm not sure, but i think Thraktor made a post where he compared these memory sollutions in this thread or the old one (reddit rumor thread).

Found it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200481200&postcount=3498

You can do a search in that thread with his name (as poster) and lpddr4 as keyword and many more will pop up.

Fair that it could scale up to at least 100GB/s, but does it seem like Nintendo to have a large system with 16 chips needed for that 256 bit bus.

Then again maybe we need to throw such assumptions about Nintendo out the door for this one, but if they could do that and more bandwidth in half the GDDR5 chips, I don't see why not. A large system with a load of LPDDR4 chips gets you only to 100, half the chips with GDDR5 can get you closer to 200.

There's power draw, but I hope Nintendo isn't too conservative there this round.

Red Devil

Well I hope NX is comparable to PS4K, I mentioned I thought it would be in the other thread and was promptly mocked lol. Who knows, a lot of this speculation is pretty enticing especially that rumoured games lineup.

Mario NX
Smash 4 NX
Zelda NX
Splatoon NX
FFXV
DQX
FFVII Remake (?)

Reads like a dream list but hey they're all feasible

DQXI might have a better shot than DQX, and what would Mario NX even be?

I wonder, would it be best to delay Mario? I think Zelda has holiday 2016 covered and they'll need something big for 2017.
There's also the new Sonic which Nintendo likely wouldn't delay anything for, but if good could cover that niche while they keep working on the game

You're going ahead way too much, we don't even know if there'd be a Mario game at launch nor what it would be(2D or 3D) and even then Super Mario Maker is one of the rumoured games to ported to NX...

What I am saying is that had WiiU launched with a 3d world or better yet a galaxy 3 instead of NSMBU the system would have done a lot better. And def not went 4 months selling 180k total of whatever that low as hell number was.

Sure, except 2D Mario games sell more than 3D Mario games...

BY2K

Membero Americo
Man fuck Red Steel.

Sure, before we knew it was terrible, it was a good addition to the launch line-up but GOD DAMN IT UBISOFT.

They redeemed themselves hard with ZombiU, though.

Doctre81

Sure, except 2D Mario games sell more than 3D Mario games...

And 3d mario games are bigger system sellers...

Man fuck Red Steel.

Sure, before we knew it was terrible, it was a good addition to the launch line-up but GOD DAMN IT UBISOFT.

Hey man Wiifolder Josh said the controls are perfect you better shut your mouth!

MuchoMalo

Banned
AMD is a partner with NIntendo of the system...

I'm aware. Even if you remove them from the list, it doesn't really change anything. Nintendo is still a much lower volume and lower profile customer than those companies. When yields are limited, the high-profile customers get in first.

It's not happening either way, though. If you agree that the plan is for a launch this year, then even if it gets delayed they wouldn't be able to move it to a smaller node.

Fair that it could scale up to at least 100GB/s, but does it seem like Nintendo to have a large system with 16 chips needed for that 256 bit bus.

Then again maybe we need to throw such assumptions about Nintendo out the door for this one, but if they could do that and more bandwidth in half the GDDR5 chips, I don't see why not. A large system with a load of LPDDR4 chips gets you only to 100, half the chips with GDDR5 can get you closer to 200.

There's power draw, but I hope Nintendo isn't too conservative there this round.

If the 14nmFF part is true (which I still highly doubt), they can have a powerful system with extremely low power draw.

Doctre81

You can't prove that.

I kinda can. :)

Even though the WiiU launched with the best version of NSMB to date it sold like straight crap right after launch despite even being bundled with the system for awhile.

Once 3d world launched the WiiU never sold that bad again.

On Wii despite being on the shevles for four years after the launch of mario galaxy 2 the wii had it's best selling christmas ever. Better than when nsmb launched.

Unless I am getting christmas 2009 and christmas 2010 mixed up?

Linkhero1

Honestly the only thing I can remember is Twilight Princess and Wii Sport.
Wii's launch window, first year was miles better than Wii U. Wii U basically fell apart after launch imo.

Nintendo doesn't just need a good launch, they also need to show off launch window/first year software to show it's worth the investment the day it comes out.

I kinda can. :)

Even though the WiiU launched with the best version of NSMB to date it sold like straight crap right after launch despite even being bundled with the system for awhile.

Once 3d world launched the WiiU never sold that bad again.

On Wii despite being on the shevles for four years after the launch of mario galaxy 2 the wii had it's best selling christmas ever. Better than when nsmb launched.

Unless I am getting christmas 2009 and christmas 2010 mixed up?

Uh no NSMBU still sold more the 3D World.

Doctre81

That's absurd, if that's so how they sell more then?

Just because a game sells more software than another does not mean it is a bigger "system seller".

Let me give you an example...

Farcry 4 sold 2x as much on ps4 than bloodbourne. Which is considered a system seller on ps4? People did not buy a ps4 because of farcry 4...but many did because of bloodbourne...see the difference?

Man fuck Red Steel.

That game was still poorly made, though.
Had several game breaking bugs making me lose hours of playtime and Ubisoft was like "no patches in the works"
Set up a good foundation for a sequel but we shouldn't have to have mediocre first installments to get better sequels like Ubisoft loves doing

Just because a game sells more software than another does not mean it is a bigger "system seller".

Let me give you an example...

Farcry 4 sold 2x as much on ps4 than bloodbourne. Which is considered a system seller on ps4? People did not buy a ps4 because of farcry 4...but many did because of bloodbourne...see the difference?

Far Cry 4 isn't considered a system seller for the PS4 because it isn't exclusive to the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom