• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
LOL stop. I have never seen anyone say. " I need to pick up a ps4 asap so i can play killzone shadowfall". I have seen plenty say that for bloodbourne. I but can see you plan on trying to argue this to the ground So this will be my last response on this subject.

Killzone was a launch title and graphical showpiece so it selling a lot makes sense. Infamous came out when ps4 had no games.

BB was a hit with real videogame enthusiasts but shit like NBA2k, COD, and Fifa are the real system sellers for ps4 and they're not exclusives.

I dont know why it seems likely because of this. I mean I understand why you are saying that but there's a lot working against the idea of it happening. Your 3 year argument is why I assume a 3D Mario is coming, but I kinda think it stops there. Again, It may happen but to me there's a lot pointing towards it not happening.
Releasing within the first year is the norm for Mario.
Based on their past history it seems like they should be ready by the end of this year or mid 2017.
It could very well be November 2017, but that seems a bit far.

MK_768

Based on their past history it seems like they should be ready by the end of this year or mid 2017.

Well I dont doubt it should be ready by then. I guess it's just how we see things. To me it just seems more probable that it'll come November 2017.

thefro

If they don't have 3D Mario at launch, they're going to need something else at launch that's a killer app that folks can only play on the NX.

Whether that's a new or existing IP is the question, but I think it has to be something that'll get people excited about the system.

Zelda's great but people can play it on Wii U. Maybe they'll pull a Wii and delay Zelda Wii U until December after NX launches, but I doubt it. I also doubt whatever the NX's gimmick is will nearly fit into a Zelda game built around the Wii U gamepad, but we'll see.

bomma_man

LOL stop. I have never seen anyone say. " I need to pick up a ps4 asap so i can play killzone shadowfall". I have seen plenty say that for bloodbourne. But I can see you plan on trying to argue this to the ground So this will be my last response on this subject.

Your argument is purely anecdotal.

Zelda's great but people can play it on Wii U.

Not if it comes out first on NX--which it likely well if Nintendo really is looking to replicate TP's success. That, combined with likely better visuals, plus the fact that many people don't own a Wii U, all adds up to it being a big deal (like how TP Wii greatly outsold TP GCN).

Red Devil

If they don't have 3D Mario at launch, they're going to need something else at launch that's a killer app that folks can only play on the NX.

Whether that's a new or existing IP is the question, but I think it has to be something that'll get people excited about the system.

Zelda's great but people can play it on Wii U. Maybe they'll pull a Wii and delay Zelda Wii U until December after NX launches, but I doubt it. I also doubt whatever the NX's gimmick is will nearly fit into a Zelda game built around the Wii U gamepad, but we'll see.

Of course, we know absolutely nothing for certain of the release date of the NX let alone the launch lineup, as I said before if it's a Mario game it could be a 2D one. Plus we don't know what other games they could have under the sleeve.

Azoo

Neo Member
Only a tiny few are going to play it on Wii U. That tiny few being even a fraction of the people who'd bought the Wii U in the first place, since another chunk of them is going to want to move onto the NX and play it on there instead.

It's like TP was. It came out with a GC and a Wii version, but despite the GC version having traditional controls and for the older and more established console, the Wii version outsold it by nearly 5x the amount (5,82 mil Wii sales vs 1.32 mil GC sales).

With that in mind, I think Zelda will do just fine as an NX launch title without the aid of a Mario game. Especially since the userbase for the Wii U is even smaller than the Gamecube's was.

Malus

I don't see them releasing Tokyo EPD's game outside of the holiday season tho.

Banned
4 x 64 bit LPPDR4 chip on a 256 bit bus will be 136 gb/s. Which is more than enough to feed a ~2 teraflop gcn 1.3 gpu.
Seems legit. I'm sure Nintendo will go with whatever is cheaper for them since they seem to be spending the dough on the gpu.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Seems legit. I'm sure Nintendo will go with whatever is cheaper for them since they seem to be spending the dough on the gpu.

LPDDR4 isn't exactly cheap, but if they can use the same chips for both NX and their next handheld they might be able to save money simply due to the sheer volume of chips bought.

On another note, what happened with that Ori dev claiming that it's only a handheld? Have you all decided that he was just still upset, or do you think there might have been some truth to what he said?

Randomness: Never forget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX2smM87r14

Red Devil

Only a tiny few are going to play it on Wii U. That tiny few being even a fraction of the people who'd bought the Wii U in the first place, since another chunk of them is going to want to move onto the NX and play it on there instead.

It's like TP was. It came out with a GC and a Wii version, but despite the GC version having traditional controls and for the older and more established console, the Wii version outsold it by nearly 5x the amount (5,82 mil Wii sales vs 1.32 mil GC sales).

With that in mind, I think Zelda will do just fine as an NX launch title without the aid of a Mario game. Especially since the userbase for the Wii U is even smaller than the Gamecube's was.

If it's exactly like Twilight Princess might as well get it on Wii U since it'll be the best version. :p

Anyway, I agree with your last paragraph.

NSMBU's biggest issue is that it was released in the same year as the sub par NSMB2. A few months apart, I think.
NSMB2 created the "Mario fatigue" that lasted until 3D World
Someone giving people that idea probably didn't help with Nintendo's branding since that's their mascot

I think the NSMB fatigue was a result of two different things:

-NSMB2 being announced with an obvious gimmicky twist (coin collection) and visibly looking like a B team project and coming out less than a year after announcement
-NSMB Mii, which is often forgotten. It was a tech demo for the Wii U in 2011 that was just NSMB Wii style art and levels in HD with no real bells and whistles or significantly new art, and it eventually morphed into NSMBU.

So in summer 2011, audiences saw NSMB for Wii U, then in early 2012 we saw NSMB2 for 3DS, then in summer 2012 we saw an actual NSMBU, then a few months later NSMB2 came out, then another few months later NSMBU released.

I remember being adamant pre-E3 2012 that Nintendo wouldn't release a NSMB for Wii U as a launch title; it made no sense after NSMB2 came out in late summer.

If NSMB2 hadn't existed, or if a NSMB tech demo (why? Miis playable, so what? I can't remember if the platform placing in co-op was even present during that demo) hadn't been shown off, it would have been a whole 3 years between Wii and U, a normal cycle.

There is a difference between selling copies and selling hardware. A game can sell very well among an established audience and fail to move as many consoles as a game that sells worse among the whole audience.

I remember very clearly Sony pushing Killzone and Infamous for the the PS4 as system showcases. Does that Killzone was any good? No. But to say that Killzone wasn't meant to be a system seller for the PS4 is a lie.

KingBroly

Banned

-NSMB2 being announced with an obvious gimmicky twist (coin collection) and visibly looking like a B team project and coming out less than a year after announcement
-NSMB Mii, which is often forgotten. It was a tech demo for the Wii U in 2011 that was just NSMB Wii style art and levels in HD with no real bells and whistles or significantly new art, and it eventually morphed into NSMBU.

So in summer 2011, audiences saw NSMB for Wii U, then in early 2012 we saw NSMB2 for 3DS, then in summer 2012 we saw an actual NSMBU, then a few months later NSMB2 came out, then another few months later NSMBU released.

I remember being adamant pre-E3 2012 that Nintendo wouldn't release a NSMB for Wii U as a launch title; it made no sense after NSMB2 came out in late summer.

I was definitely one of those people. And I am still baffled that they did this.

tr1p1ex

NSMBU's biggest issue is that it was released in the same year as the sub par NSMB2. A few months apart, I think.
NSMB2 created the "Mario fatigue"

Yep.

I thought the same thing.

I expect to not see this any more given they've combined their handheld/console divisions. In this case we would see 1 SMB game that has a handheld and console sku or or has just 1 sku that works on both handheld/console.

MoonFrog

I remember very clearly Sony pushing Killzone and Infamous for the the PS4 as system showcases. Does that Killzone was any good? No. But to say that Killzone wasn't meant to be a system seller for the PS4 is a lie.

I don't follow PS4 news. My point was there is a logical gap between selling better and selling more consoles. There is. It could be in this case the things which sold more copies also sold more hardware. But there is a logical gap.

NSMB2 created the "Mario fatigue" that lasted until 3D World
Someone giving people that idea probably didn't help with Nintendo's branding since that's their mascot

Yep, I always thought releasing NSMB2 and U mere months apart was a big mistake.

Honestly I think making them both combined into one Wii U game would've been cool, as I like how NSMB2 looks and it's at least unique with the coin collecting gameplay.

leroidys

Yep.

I thought the same thing.

I expect to not see this any more given they've combined their handheld/console divisions. In this case we would see 1 SMB game that has a handheld and console sku or or has just 1 sku that works on both handheld/console.

AFAIK, there are not "handheld" and "console" divisions at Nintendo. Different teams and companies just make games on whatever platform they need to. I am not aware of any news that described combining these purported divisions.

If NSMB2 hadn't existed, or if a NSMB tech demo (why? Miis playable, so what? I can't remember if the platform placing in co-op was even present during that demo) hadn't been shown off, it would have been a whole 3 years between Wii and U, a normal cycle.
Yeah, the tech demo which (I'm pretty sure was just the Wii assets in HD) soured a lot of people.
The final game looked a bit better with nice backgrounds but the whole thing was pretty poorly handled
I actually ended up liking NSMBU but absolutely hated NSMB2. Not exactly sure why, but I traded it in quickly

Voiced by Kerri Kane (her Mario Kart 7, Smash bros, Mario Golf voice) too please!

Also, I want a new 2D Mario adventure with some serious effort behind it.
If they do make a new...er...New Super Mario Bros. game I'd really hope it looks a lot nicer. They sell multiple millions of copies every time, investing more would probably be best.
Since Mario Maker is a thing I imagine they would need to make a big effort on the next potential 2D Mario game
Yep, I always thought releasing NSMB2 and U mere months apart was a big mistake.

Honestly I think making them both combined into one Wii U game would've been cool, as I like how NSMB2 looks and it's at least unique with the coin collecting gameplay.
Hopefully, if the shared library comes to be, this kind of thing won't happen

Schnozberry

AFAIK, there are not "handheld" and "console" divisions at Nintendo. Different teams and companies just make games on whatever platform they need to. I am not aware of any news that described combining these purported divisions.

Nintendo's internal reorganization eliminated a lot of barriers between internal development teams. EAD and SPD merged and became EPD, for instance. Hardware teams were merged as well. This all happened in stages throughout 2014 and 2015, and concluded in September of 2015. The NX will be the first piece of hardware produced since the merging of the Portable and Console teams. Previously they had worked separtely.

NateDrake

Killzone was certainly positioned to be a major PS4 seller. The way Sony demonstrated the game to press prior to launch and even consumers was with that forest level, showing a sense of openness, and the visuals. Unfortunately, the rest of the game was nothing like the forest area.

tr1p1ex

You're not up to date then. :) Read their financial reports and investor Q&As of the past few years.

Red Devil

And still if I recall correctly NSMB2 sold a little more than Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which did pretty well at the time.

Pokemaniac

Yeah people expecting a big reveal in that meeting might be up for a big disappointment.

The big thing that people should be expecting in that meeting is a timeframe for when the actual announcement will be. If NX is launching this year as expected, they will need to give investors some basic info.

NateDrake

The big thing that people should be expecting in that meeting is a timeframe for when the actual announcement will be. If NX is launching this year as expected, they will need to give investors some basic info.

Basically. Even if all they say is: "More info on our NX platform will come at E3" it at least gives everyone a timeline and a set point. Until that happens, everyone is just waiting and wondering.

Roo

Yeah people expecting a big reveal in that meeting might be up for a big disappointment.

Well, they announced Revolution's final name (Wii) at the meeting so we should look forward to that at least.

If they don't go into further details and there's no sign or hint of a special separate event to reveal it then they definitely will wait til E3.

Fess

If they make it optional, no one will use it.
If they make it mandatory, no one will use it.

I love my GamePad but for the good of Nintendo, they should forgo it
You have a point I guess, but the Gamepad was never the reason WiiU failed so I'd say that it's always better to include it if you want that feature as a selling point than make a screen controller an optional purchase which devs might not even care about. There is always a financially risk for devs to build a game made to use an optional accessory compared to just use what's included, an optional accessory might have to sell a lot before devs dare to use it but it won't sell unless devs are using it. :/

I also think a screen controller as standard might make NX stand out a bit more compared to PS4 and XB1. Some people bought WiiU versions over PS4/XB1 versions to get the second screen features even though the graphics were worse, if NX is comparable to PS4 in graphics then NX versions of multiplats could be the definitive version by default. Plus, if WiiU backwards-compatibility is possible it could be a selling point to get old fans to upgrade faster.

Just going by tablet replacement screen prices I don't see the cost as a big problem today either unless they're going for a really unique screen this time.

Doctre81

Regarding the mercury steam NX rumor... remember when the dude from unseen64 said that they pitched a metroid game to Nintendo and they turned it down? Also that you were to play as multiple bounty hunters and that he thinks they simply tunred the concept into a new ip? Maybe this is it.

Raiders of the Broken planet.... space...bounty hunters...

Edit: Actually he even speculates that at the end of the video.

Red Devil

Well, they announced Revolution's final name (Wii) at the meeting so we should look forward to that at least.

If they don't go into further details and there's no sign or hint of a special separate event to reveal it then they definitely will wait til E3.

I think that's what'll happen at the most, give the name and mention when they'll reveal the thing if at E3/before E3.

Kimishima will be like "no NX information will be adressed this meeting".

They need to share some information if they wanna laumch the system in the next 12 months, so I doubt they will go silent on that topic. At least they will mention a date for the reveal of the console, which is imo what will happen theren.

ika

Yes, I think they need to say/show something more than "see you at E3 lol!", because if this was the plan all along it wouldn't made sense not to tell us directly last year, as usual when they are not going to say a word before E3.

I mean, this is the road we've been through:

-Iwata announces NX: "we won't announce anything until next year"
-Kimishima as new president: "we won't announce anything until next year"
-Now it's "next year": "oh sorry, we meant 'next fiscal year', wait a bit more"
-Starting new fiscal year: "hmmm... well, just wait until some meeting in a few weeks"

If the next step is:
-New FY briefing: "we'll talk about NX at E3/special event the last week of may, please understand"

Many people will be pissed, and rightfully. I mean, I'm not asking for a full blown unveiling with console, games, os, date and price, but I think we deserve more than a "announcement of an announcement". If they give us (investors and fans) the name, the basic philosophy behind the "brand new concept", or show us a prototype or a technical demo... anything, it'll be great. Nothing major, I understand they'll want to keep the biggest surprises close to their chests until the big event. Just anything more than a date to bear the pain the few weeks until the conference/direct.

I'd be ok with an announcement of an announcement if the Direct/Event is scheduled in the next seven days since the briefing tho... :p

diaspora

Regarding the mercury steam NX rumor... remember when the dude from unseen64 said that they pitched a metroid game to Nintendo and they turned it down? Also that you were to play as multiple bounty hunters and that he thinks they simply tunred the concept into a new ip? Maybe this is it.

Raiders of the Broken planet.... space...bounty hunters...

Edit: Actually he even speculates that at the end of the video.
Maybe you play as a bounty hunter hired to capture/kill Samus after the events of Metroid 4. You could even say that the theme of Metroid 5 is "Hunt the Truth".

AniHawk

Yes, I think they need to say/show something more than "see you at E3 lol!", because if this was the plan all along it wouldn't made sense not to tell us directly last year, as usual when they are not going to say a word before E3.

I mean, this is the road we've been through:

-Iwata announces NX: "we won't announce anything until next year"
-Kimishima as new president: "we won't announce anything until next year"
-Now it's "next year": "oh sorry, we meant 'next fiscal year', wait a bit more"
-Starting new fiscal year: "hmmm... well, just wait until some meeting in a few weeks"

If the next step is:
-New FY briefing: "we'll talk about NX at E3/special event the last week of may, please understand"

Many people will be pissed, and rightfully. I mean, I'm not asking for a full blown unveiling with console, games, os, date and price, but I think we deserve more than a "announcement of an announcement". If they give us (investors and fans) the name, the basic philosophy behind the "brand new concept", or show us a prototype or a technical demo... anything, it'll be great. Nothing major, I understand they'll want to keep the biggest surprises close to their chests until the big event. Just anything more than a date to bear the pain the few weeks until the conference/direct.

I'd be ok with an announcement of an announcement if the Direct/Event is scheduled in the next seven days since the briefing tho... :p
maybe the nx is the very concept of waiting.

ReyVGM

Crossing my fingers it doesn't have a ridiculous name.

Although, when I heard Xbox and 360 the first time I found it extremely stupid, but it eventually grew on me. And yeah, I know most system names sound stupid if you really analyze them, but there are some names that just don't entice ridicule like NES, Playstation, DS, and the such.

So yeah, hopefully it doesn't have a mockable name.

AniHawk

Crossing my fingers it doesn't have a ridiculous name.

Although, when I heard Xbox and 360 the first time I found it extremely stupid, but it eventually grew on me. And yeah, I know most system names sound stupid if you really analyze them, but there are some names that just don't entice ridicule like NES, Playstation, DS, and the such.

So yeah, hopefully it doesn't have a mockable name.

i believe the name dreamcast was mocked/hated originally. i wasn't there for its reveal, but i guess it might have been due to one of the code names being katana, which was 'cooler'

i always thought it was a great name though. xbox, gamecube, and playstation were all boring 'it's a video game thing' names, but dreamcast was a lot more unique.

ReyVGM

i believe the name dreamcast was mocked/hated originally. i wasn't there for its reveal, but i guess it might have been due to one of the code names being katana, which was 'cooler'

i always thought it was a great name though. xbox, gamecube, and playstation were all boring 'it's a video game thing' names, but dreamcast was a lot more unique.

Oh yeah, I laughed out loud when I heard Dreamcast the first time. It eventually grew on me of course. But even if it sounds ridiculous the first time, it's not really a mockable name, not like the Wii name was or maybe still even is.

Somnid

I see no reason why they would deviate from a standard console launch strategy. You aren't getting anything until E3 (or at most a couple days before).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom