• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should be looking at things differently in a more longer term due to the nature of iterative console evolutions. The idea is to make more hardware to sell more software as the software library becomes the main focal point of the business. All 3 are looking in that direction. No doubt the PS4 will maintain a long healthy lead but the other 2 could continue doing fine as more people hop in.

Through iterative console evolutions, anyone can jump in just about anywhere with a library that will in all likelihood be backwards and forwards compatible. The library is the focal point. So you may not want this version of the hardware now, then wait later or buy the newer hardware that will have much larger back catalog of games for you to play and better specs for the time being. And since you don't have to buy every upgrade that comes out, you could buy one of the other systems and finally own all 3 if you so choose.

This is Apple and Android's influence.
But that would likely be a discussion for NX1.5, because I doubt the NX will be able to share a library with any previous systems (Unless via emulation which Nintendo hates apparently) and they would have little to gain by doing so, anyway.

Do you think NX will be seen as a new platform? It'd be competing against iterative platforms when it launches: X1.5 and PS4K.

-Horizon-

I don't even care about whatever specs it has anymore, just don't screw up the name DX

Having "Nintendo" in it might be a bit of a mouthful and take a lot of space on a game case when compared to "Xbox" and "PS4"

Maybe they'll just go with a stylized "N" and call it the N1 haha

Even got a dumb catch phrase "All your games, All N 1 place"
all in one

...shut up, it sounded better in my head >.<

I dont quite understand this. You aren't the only one who has said this, but I'm still confused as to why people think a handheld will come so soon after the console.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1512.pdf

Nintendo DS
First 9 months of FY ended March 2011 (year before 3DS launch)
HW 15.70 million units
SW 98.99 million units

Wii
First 9 months of FY ended March 2012 (year before Wii U launch)
HW 8.96 million units
SW 89.06 million units

Nintendo 3DS
First 9 months of FY ended March 2016 (last year)
HW 5.88 million units
SW 38.87 million units

Nintendo's replaced systems that were much healthier than 3DS is currently. Replacing 3DS is much more necessary than replacing DS or Wii was if they want to grow their business.

OCD Guy

It'll be remote play but without wifi being required. Which is a major plus for me.

Having a majority of the library being exchangeable between home and handheld would seem to be a good thing. Nintendo can just release "more" 1st party games since they'll apply to both consoles. But I still think there will be some exclusives like maybe a very graphics heavy game will be on the home console only.

I don't think they'll go full digital. There are still too many problems with internet infrastructure especially in the states i.e. data caps and slow speeds.

Or maybe they really will go with the cartridge solution. So that you just pop the game card out of the home console and put it in the handheld once you download the cloud save to pick up where you stopped.

It sounds silly but whatever it is I'll be there day one. I absolutely love the magic that Nintendo can produce.

While I haven't been a fan of every console Nintendo have made, with every purchase of their consoles I've always been able to access some amazing games.

I do hope Nintendo do well with the NX whatever path they've chosen. Even though it's a bit odd I seem to hold some affection towards Nintendo (must be due to growing up playing their consoles)

Eradicate

The power comparison doesn't really matter to me... NIntendo isn't ever going to be my primary system. If it's powerful, that's great, but I care more about the new system, controller, features, and games. Those are the things I want to see.

Exactly. People are wrapped up in this, but if the NX is positioned in-between the PS4 and PS4K...OK? That's pretty darn good to me! Sony feels the PS4K is an appropriate level of system for the current time, so I don't know why with Nintendo choosing to go around this level is so bad? This shouldn't come down to a power battle. It's just at the point where the library, features, etc. are most important here. (That should always be the primary consideration, but that's a different topic.)

Exactly - this type of model along with an attractive and fresh innovation would be what gives NX success, not how much more powerful it is than the PS4. That's why all the comments about PS4K are moot.

Exactly!

Anyone still think the nx family will be an evolution of the Wii U?

What I mean is the principle of being able to play your game on the go, and then carry on playing on the Wii u controller.

But instead of having the large controller with a big screen, and being limited to being within range of the actual wii u console, you'll simply have a separate handheld device that you can take on the go with you anywhere to play the exact same game (obviously scaled down in some way graphically).

Then when you're at home and you fancy playing on a big screen you just carry on on the actual NX console. Game saves would likely use some sort of cloud saves.

Could the above perhaps be Nintendos "gimmick"?

That seems to be the prevailing thought. I also agree that it could be this! My main thing with this, though, which isn't a problem for power users, is that you'd kind of need to buy both the console and the handheld to fully take advantage of this. It is a GREAT perk for your handheld if you own the console too, that's for sure! But, it's kind of where you start entering the problem of splitting the handheld and console libraries again. You have to incentivize people owning both of these devices by being different enough to warrant having both. Thinking of Apple's ecosystem and applying it (total conjecture that they are going to emulate this beyond just a "shared library"), it's not like the iPhone, iPod, iPad and each version within each is THAT different. You don't need to own all of them as they are functionally the same, but you get the flavor that fits you best. (I realize this excludes OS X hardware though, which could in turn be used back against this with the console being OS X-ish and the handheld iOS-ish, but go with me here!)

Just playing devil's advocate is all! Heck, I could see the handheld providing extra power for the console (again, SCD) if you have both, providing another incentive! I also think they will quite likely use the same physical media and somehow share games connected to your account. I just wonder if the "handheld" part of it is going to be something different in approach to, again, not entirely split their focuses too much. But, who am I? Just guessing and enjoying all the discussion here!

MK_768

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1512.pdf

Nintendo DS
First 9 months of FY ended March 2011 (year before 3DS launch)
HW 15.70 million units
SW 98.99 million units

Wii
First 9 months of FY ended March 2012 (year before Wii U launch)
HW 8.96 million units
SW 89.06 million units

Nintendo 3DS
First 9 months of FY ended March 2016 (last year)
HW 5.88 million units
SW 38.87 million units

Nintendo's replaced systems that were much healthier than 3DS is currently. Replacing 3DS is much more necessary than replacing DS or Wii was if they want to grow their business.

I dont disagree that the 3DS needs to be replaced, and I do believe it will be next year...but the assumption a lot of people are making is that it will come in like March. I just don't see it.

To me it is more obvious that a console is coming this holiday than a handheld coming early next year.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't even care about whatever specs it has anymore, just don't screw up the name DX

Having "Nintendo" in it might be a bit of a mouthful and take a lot of space on a game case when compared to "Xbox" and "PS4"

Maybe they'll just go with a stylized "N" and call it the N1 haha

Even got a dumb catch phrase "All your games, All N 1 place"
all in one

...shut up, it sounded better in my head >.<

Thats actually a pretty good name and tagline.

I dont disagree that the 3DS needs to be replaced, and I do believe it will be next year...but the assumption a lot of people are making is that it will come in like March. I just don't see it.

To me it is more obvious that a console is coming this holiday than a handheld coming early next year.

I don't know that we can make any assumptions about the exact timeframe, but I'd wager that Nintendo can't afford to wait too long to release a portable form factor for their new platform given that

1) that's the preferred form factor in Japan by a huge margin
and
2) there are sure to be people (see: moms) who aren't in on the console at whatever its price of entry winds up being.

Thats actually a pretty good name and tagline.

I will never understand why Wii U's tagline was "How U Will Play Next" and not "Play the Way U Want," "Everything U Want," or literally any other pun.

Don't really understand all the positivity surrounding this rumor. I would hope a machine releasing in 2017 would be more powerful than something that released 4 years prior. Not to mention that the PS4 is kind of a low bar (most disappointing generation of consoles IMO).

I can't imagine this not leaving them as the odd console out yet again, if this turns out to be true.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm guessing even though the devs don't know about the handheld (presumably) that's it's still about finished and is going to tie into the home console in some way that will make it irrelevant for it's specific SDK not being in dev hands.

Don't really understand all the positivity surrounding this rumor. I would hope a machine releasing in 2017 would be more powerful than something that released 4 years prior. Not to mention that the PS4 is kind of a low bar (most disappointing generation of consoles IMO).

I can't imagine this not leaving them as the odd console out yet again, if this turns out to be true.

PS4 released 2 years and 6 months ago.

OCD Guy

. Thinking of Apple's ecosystem and applying it (total conjecture that they are going to emulate this beyond just a "shared library"), it's not like the iPhone, iPod, iPad and each version within each is THAT different. You don't need to own all of them as they are functionally the same, but you get the flavor that fits you best. (I realize this excludes OS X hardware though, which could in turn be used back against this with the console being OS X-ish and the handheld iOS-ish, but go with me here!)

I know what you mean, and agree about your point that perhaps traditionally there would have to maybe be some differentiation between console and handheld, as some sort of incentive to own both.

But as we know Nintendo isn't traditional lol. I could definitely get with the idea of having one Nintendo store and different devices being able to access the same software (still using the iOS mentality here), and obviously the "better" hardware simply running the games at higher frame rates, better graphical qualities.

In the above scenario the incentive for me would be having the option of playing console quality games when I'm not at home.

I guess some would argue that people don't want full length experiences on a small screen, and handhelds should have bite size experiences etc, but I feel that mobile gaming scratches that itch for short gaming bursts, and it would make sense that Nintendo are going down the mobile path to fill that gap, and try and capture the more casual market via the mobile avenue.

antonz

I have to imagine this time around that Ubisoft is holding its studios on a much tighter leash. Ubisoft Casablanca was amazingly leaky last time around to the point of absurdity

diaspora

Wat

Ahab

Banned
I know what you mean, and agree about your point that perhaps traditionally there would have to maybe be some differentiation between console and handheld, as some sort of incentive to own both.

But as we know Nintendo isn't traditional lol. I could definitely get with the idea of having one Nintendo store and different devices being able to access the same software (still using the iOS mentality here), and obviously the "better" hardware simply running the games at higher frame rates, better graphical qualities.

I guess some would argue that people don't want full length experiences on a small screen, and handhelds should have bite size experiences etc, but I feel that mobile gaming scratches that itch for short gaming bursts, and it would make sense that Nintendo are going down the mobile path to fill that gap.

If that happens then AA/middleware is completely and utterly fucked. Games like Zero Escape and Theatrhythm would flat out not exist without for handheld systems, or would be relegated to mobile which nobody wants. The homogenization of Nintendo's library into one shared library would be awful, there needs to be traditional handheld experiences alongside the console games. I also doubt Nintendo is the company to offer shitty, downgraded console ports as their sole handheld games, that's incredibly dumb.

oh my god, perfect timing, Ubisoft's launch line up for the NX totally just leaked!

wr7M5AI.jpg

Ubisoft was quoted as saying "We are happy to support Nintendo's newest console with Ubisoft's finest classic titles!"

/joke

Rayman 2 HD based on the PS2 version on NX retail (maybe have it being a trilogy with Rayman 1 and 3? Or just 2 and 3. I'd fucking love that! :D

The homogenization of Nintendo's library into one shared library would be awful, there needs to be traditional handheld experiences alongside the console games. I also doubt Nintendo is the company to offer shitty, downgraded console ports as their sole handheld games, that's incredibly dumb.

To use a couple examples:

- The existence of Ocarina of Time 3D didn't mean A Link Between Worlds didn't get made.
- No one complained about being able to play your Game Boy games on a TV using the Suepr Game Boy/Game Boy Player.

There will always be games that "just work better" on handhelds, and in that case they'll probably mostly be played by people who own handhelds. No reason to hamstring your ability to support both platforms at once by insisting that most of the software available for either of your devices must always be unique to that device. That wouldn't be a substantial improvement over the situation we already had with Wii U and 3DS.

Pyrokai

Guys, I really can't wrap my head around Nintendo's current position in the market. I posted this about 10 pages back but it was at the bottom and I don't think anyone read it, lol.

So, here’s how I see things. Let me know what you guys think….

Oversimplifying things, I basically see two scenarios playing out here. I know there are many factors to this, but I’m choosing a high-level view. Also, a couple assumptions in my logic:

---It’s better than the PS4 but not better than the PS4K, but close, as that’s probably most likely.

---We’re all in agreement that Wii U, PS4, and XBO are in the same (8th) console generation.

---Only talking about the console, not the handheld.

Okay….

1.) Nintendo releases the NX mid-8th generation as a 9th generation console and its competition is primarily to get a head-start on the 9th generation of competing consoles AS WELL AS compete against PS4 and XBO. In 2-3 years when Sony and Microsoft release their 9th generation consoles, NX is vastly outdated (maybe?) but has developed a user-base. Nintendo is thus forced to release their 10th generation machine mid-9th generation and is forever in this weird pickle.

2) Nintendo releases the NX mid-8th generation, but not as a 9th generation console. Meaning, on the advent of the likely PS4K and a rumored Xbox One upgrade, the concept of a console being a set generation is no more. There have also been rumors and speculation that Nintendo wants to go this route as well. If this is the case, parity could potentially be achievable every couple years for Nintendo. Releasing forward and backward compatible devices every 2-3 years MIGHT be something all 3 are interested in.

END

Okay, like I said…very simple….but what do you guys think is the more likely of these two? I personally think Scenario 2 is what Nintendo should be hoping for. Scenario 1 looks like a slow death unless they somehow can pull off the NX as a 8th generation console and pretend the Wii U never existed, so that when the 9th gen rolls around, Nintendo just releases another one along side them.

Am I misreading something? It's so hard to figure out how they can get out of their current problems.

Pinky

Banned

Huh?

- NX console is expected to release at the end of 2016
- PS4 will be 3 years old this November
- I remember many posters saying NX would be lucky to match XB1 in specs

OCD Guy

If that happens then AA/middleware is completely and utterly fucked. Games like Zero Escape and Theatrhythm would flat out not exist without for handheld systems, or would be relegated to mobile which nobody wants. The homogenization of Nintendo's library into one shared library would be awful, there needs to be traditional handheld experiences alongside the console games. I also doubt Nintendo is the company to offer shitty, downgraded console ports as their sole handheld games, that's incredibly dumb.

But having one library wouldn't mean that you couldn't still have those same experiences. Using iOS again (not that it's the pinnacle of gaming) there are different experiences available, and choice is a good thing.

Or better yet look at pc gaming, there is such a wide variety of different games to cater for different tastes.

I get what you're saying, but I don't necessarily think that having a shared library would mean that it would prevent certain types of games from being released.

One things for sure though, and the NX certainly won't be singing from the same hymn sheet as Sony and Microsoft, and the main "gimmick" is very unlikely to be a controller with second screen again.

I'm just looking forward to an official announcement.

I dont quite understand this. You aren't the only one who has said this, but I'm still confused as to why people think a handheld will come so soon after the console.

From a business perspective, I'd want all the cards on the table for my customers so they can decide as quickly as possible about pre-ordering. If there's a looming "other device" out there that may be better, then that could affect sales of the console. I'd try to get both out (to reviewers at least) at the same time. Make it clear what the state of each system is upfront.

PS4 released 2 years and 6 months ago.

He said 2017, which would be 4 years after 2013. I personally think it's coming this holiday, but his math checks out.

Ahab

Banned
To use a couple examples:

- The existence of Ocarina of Time 3D didn't mean A Link Between Worlds didn't get made.
That's not what I'm getting at. If Nintendo's future handheld never got any original games designed for it, and instead only got access to the (downgraded) games library of the NX, then you wouldn't see games like A Link Between Worlds made.

- No one complained about being able to play your Game Boy games on a TV using the Suepr Game Boy/Game Boy Player.
That's different. By the time the Super Gameboy came out the Gameboy was already established and already sold tens of millions of units.

bomblord1

Banned
From a business perspective, I'd want all the cards on the table for my customers so they can decide as quickly as possible about pre-ordering. If there's a looming "other device" out there that may be better, then that could affect sales of the console. I'd try to get both out (to reviewers at least) at the same time. Make it clear what the state of each system is upfront.

He said 2017, which would be 4 years after 2013. I personally think it's coming this holiday, but his math checks out.

In the beginning of 2017 the PS4 will be 3 years and 2 months old. Unless the system releases November 2017 the PS4 will not be 4 years old.

-Horizon-

It sounds silly but whatever it is I'll be there day one. I absolutely love the magic that Nintendo can produce.

While I haven't been a fan of every console Nintendo have made, with every purchase of their consoles I've always been able to access some amazing games.

I do hope Nintendo do well with the NX whatever path they've chosen. Even though it's a bit odd I seem to hold some affection towards Nintendo (must be due to growing up playing their consoles)
Nintendo has made their good share of crap decision making but I still don't want them to leave gaming or go 3rd party.

ozfunghi

I think it's safe to assume that based on what I was told, the difference in power between the PS4 and NX is less than Xbox One to PS4. So if you can't see much difference between PS4 and XB1 the nx may not be much different from a game standpoint.

Not so noticeable ;)

Console in the west first and portable in japan first. I would be ok with that.

I already said something on this subject but it got ignored. I'm wondering if they are pushing the handheld to 2017 because 1/ the New 3DS is still young 2/ they are waiting to use the newer 14nm fabrication node, which would only be viable in 2017 according to some. Meaning they can put more powerful hardware inside the handheld (putting it closer to the console) while getting better battery life.

Anyone still think the nx family will be an evolution of the Wii U?

What I mean is the principle of being able to play your game on the go, and then carry on playing on the Wii u controller.

But instead of having the large controller with a big screen, and being limited to being within range of the actual wii u console, you'll simply have a separate handheld device that you can take on the go with you anywhere to play the exact same game (obviously scaled down in some way graphically).

Then when you're at home and you fancy playing on a big screen you just carry on on the actual NX console. Game saves would likely use some sort of cloud saves.

Could the above perhaps be Nintendos "gimmick"?

This is what most of us have been hoping for. Complete crossplay, savefiles in the cloud.

That's not what I'm getting at. If Nintendo's future handheld never got any original games designed for it, and instead only got access to the (downgraded) games library of the NX, then you wouldn't see games like A Link Between Worlds made.

I think as a general rule you'd probably see more upgraded handheld games on the console (that's a much easier direction to port things) than downgraded console games on the handheld.* The more demanding games will take more resources to develop and therefore Nintendo's consoles will need other software to fill the schedule. Handheld games will probably take fewer resources simply by virtue of their scale and production values, so they don't suffer from this issue as much.

* I actually speculate that they may not do this at all and instead rely on Wii U-like streaming where the handheld is basically just a screen for games you would usually only be able to play through your console, pretty much exactly like Vita Remote Play but using the tech they used for Wii U.

That's different. By the time the Super Gameboy came out the Gameboy was already established and already sold tens of millions of units.

How is it different? If people are itching to play those games, why does it matter which device they want to use? If they really want to play them on the go, won't they buy the handheld anyway? Or if they really just want to play them on a TV, why shouldn't they be able to just do that?

-Horizon-

Guys, I really can't wrap my head around Nintendo's current position in the market. I posted this about 10 pages back but it was at the bottom and I don't think anyone read it, lol.

Am I misreading something? It's so hard to figure out how they can get out of their current problems.

All the rumblings seem to point to 2 - Console gens is gonna be an obsolete concept.

Pinky

Banned

His math does not check out. PS4 was released on November 15th, 2013 in the US and Canada. It released in other territories shortly after. If Nintendo launches NX this November for the holiday season, which many seem to think will be the case, PS4 will have been on the market for 3 years.

Ahab

Banned
But having one library wouldn't mean that you couldn't still have those same experiences. Using iOS again (not that it's the pinnacle of gaming) there are different experiences available, and choice is a good thing.

Or better yet look at pc gaming, there is such a wide variety of different games to cater for different tastes.

I get what you're saying, but I don't necessarily think that having a shared library would mean that it would prevent certain types of games from being released.

One things for sure though, and the NX certainly won't be singing from the same hymn sheet as Sony and Microsoft, and the main "gimmick" is very unlikely to be a controller with second screen again.

I'm just looking forward to an official announcement.
You're right in saying a shared library wouldn't prevent middleware/handheld-focused games from being made, but they wouldn't be made regardless because the main development platform is going to be a significantly more powerful, and different, console. As the saying goes, limitation breeds creativity. Because of the limitations and unique features of handhelds, a more diverse set of games are made for it. Just look at the 3DS, games have been designed around the touch-screen, designed around a 3D screen, and designed around duel screens. When you homogenize everything and share a library, developers are only going to create games with the abilities of the console considered first, the handheld will be an after thought.

OCD Guy

All the rumblings seem to point to 2 - Console gens is gonna be an obsolete concept.

Which again points to just a general Storefront, like Steam, AppStore etc. Just purchase your device of choice and have access to the games.

That is a good future in my opinion.

People can upgrade their hardware when they feel the need to, or when their device is so old it runs the latest games like shit lol.

You're right in saying a shared library wouldn't prevent middleware/handheld-focused games from being made, but they wouldn't be made because the main development platform is going to be a significantly more powerful, and different, console. As the saying goes, limitation breed creativity. Because of the limitations and unique features of handhelds, a more diverse set of games are made for it. Just look at the 3DS, games have been made that were designed around the touch-screen, designed around a 3D screen, and designed around duel screens. When you homogenize everything and share a library, developers are only going to create games with the abilities of the console considered first, the handheld will be an after thought.

Ok but what if as another member said, console generations as we know them are obsolete. So we would live in a world where Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc have store fronts and you just purchase the Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc hardware of your choice. With different hardware running games better or worse.

Using steam as an example again, I wouldn't say having one store has necessarily had a negative impact on gaming. The one store certainly has a massive variety of different games, and as you know pc gaming suffers from severe hardware fragmentation.

Using your example of the 3ds then yes I can see why there might be a few "issues" but what if the handheld is simply a screen with traditional controls a la vita. Or literally like the same principle as the Wii u gamepad (but nicer looking and more compact)

Again look at iOS apps, it states compatibility, so Nintendo could just use a similar principle, so in the future it states "Requires a minimum of device x to run", and rather than a lower device being a burden or developers focus in on the better hardware, the games themselves would just simply scale up to the hardware, the way games do on iOS. Certain Apple hardware has access to better frame rates, lighting effects etc

bachikarn

I wish Nintendo would still make those type of games for consoles. 2D Metroid seauel would be nice. Maybe on some sort of arcade platforms. Those would be perfectly suited for cross play.

I'm skeptical that mainline Zelda games should be crossplay as it would most likely require you to gimp the console version to make it compatible on the handheld.

antonz

What happens when those games don't sell well just like they didn't on Wii U?

Lets skip the fantasy and get to the reality.

There was no serious attempts at third party support on the Wii U. Nintendo pulled the rug out from under everyone early on and the 3rd parties abandoned ship before the ship sailed. There was some token leftovers thrown at it but nothing more.

-Horizon-

Which again points to just a general Storefront, like Steam, AppStore etc. Just purchase your device of choice and have access to the games.

People can upgrade their hardware when they feel the need to, or when their device is so old it runs the latest games like shit lol.

If they can pull it off, I won't complain.
NX1 - Zelda NX 60 fps, Zelda 2 NX 30 fps, Zelda 3 NX time to upgrade yo

...Nintendo pls give us a direct already >o<

Ahab

Banned

Ok but what if as another member said, console generations as we know them are obsolete. So we would live in a world where Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc have store fronts and you just purchase the Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc hardware of your choice.

Using steam as an example again, I wouldn't say having one store has necessarily had a negative impact on gaming.

Fuck that future then. An all digital future is an absolutely horrendous idea for a multitude of reasons. What happens when licensing issues come up and a publisher is forced to take a game down? Or what happens when publisher takes a game down for literally any other reason? You're fucked. Nobody can buy that game anymore, it's lost forever until the company decides, if ever, to relist it. For instance, I wanted to play the HD version of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fighting game. Capcom re-released the game in HD on PSN and Xbox live back in 2012, but pulled the game in 2014. It was up for two years, if you didn't buy the game during that two year period you're absolutely, grade-A, fucked. I only became a fan of the series this year, but now I'm fucked and cannot purchase and play that game.

Lets skip the fantasy and get to the reality.

There was no serious attempts at third party support on the Wii U. Nintendo pulled the rug out from under everyone early on and the 3rd parties abandoned ship before the ship sailed. There was some token leftovers thrown at it but nothing more.

Wii U had far and away the best third-party support at launch* of any Nintendo platform, console or handheld, full-stop. It's not even a competition.

They even bent to the wishes of third parties and made their main controller one that could work with multiplatform games with no compromises.

That support resulted in probably the worst third-party sales for any Nintendo platform.

*Launch day, of course. Pretty much everything else was canceled, delayed, or turned multiplatform after everything third parties did tanked in sales.

There's a lot of folks asking for a Nextgen WiiU in this thread, so asking a bunch of people who have the same understanding as you is not a good idea.

Eradicate

In the above scenario the incentive for me would be having the option of playing console quality games when I'm not at home.

I guess some would argue that people don't want full length experiences on a small screen, and handhelds should have bite size experiences etc, but I feel that mobile gaming scratches that itch for short gaming bursts, and it would make sense that Nintendo are going down the mobile path to fill that gap, and try and capture the more casual market via the mobile avenue.

They certainly aren't traditional! They will totally throw people for a loop with this. It is so locked down!

I completely agree with you about mobile. I'm really thinking they are going to do things with mobile though that people aren't going to expect!

OCD Guy

Fuck that future then. An all digital future is an absolutely horrendous idea for a multitude of reasons. What happens when licensing issues come up and a publisher is forced to take a game down? Or what happens when publisher takes a game down for literally any other reason? You're fucked. Nobody can buy that game anymore, it's lost forever until the company decides, if ever, to relist it. For instance, I wanted to play the HD version of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fighting game. Capcom re-released the game in HD on PSN and Xbox live back in 2012, but pulled the game in 2014. It was up for two years, if you didn't buy the game during that two year period you're absolutely, grade-A, fucked. I only became a fan of the series this year, but now I'm fucked and cannot purchase and play that game.

There are definitely drawbacks to an all digital distribution system, but it will be the future at some point. Microsofts intial Xbox one vision was just perhaps too early, but their vision will become a reality at some point. Infact the future will likely eventually be the Netflix system (or ps now) having everything streamed from servers. Whether we are alive to see it is a different story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom