• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesh

Why would a Nintendo console need to be more powerful than current gen hardware if the majority of Nintendo titles use art styles and mechanics that don't really call for that sort of horsepower? Seems like it would be a little much for the type of games they develop.
Ports man, ports. :)
Beaten sorta.

Menitta

I think you're all going overboard with Zelda 60fps... There's no way I see it being 60fps, not by a long shot. Yeah, there's MGSV but V has not come to Zelda.

I fully expect 1080p/30fps with better shaders, IQ, AA, AF, effects and more.

This.
Also, the ALBW director said that not all future Zelda games will run at 60fps. Source

antonz

I wouldn't put it past Square Enix to bring its latest RPGs to NX. We already know for sure it's thinking about an NX version of DQXI. The easiest AAA games for Nintendo to snag for the NX would be the Japanese ones.

Also, the return of mainline numbered Final Fantasy to Nintendo consoles would be a huge deal for some people. To this day, FFVI remains the last main FF shipped on any Nintendo hardware, and it came out 22 years ago.

Final Fantasy on NX etc seems a given just based on the sales they want to pull off. They need to get that thing on as many devices as they can. I mean saying they aim for 10 million Units sold on the project. Pretty sure Final Fantasy 13 barely broke 7 million

Roo

Will Rockstar release GTAV one more year and have it at lunch for NX lol
Exclusive mission.

Franklin has to collect 100 Mario coins spread throughout the entire Los Santos city in less than 5 minutes to unlock Nintendo universe costumes, gears and weapons

Pinky

Banned
They go with proprietary discs not proprietary drives. For instance the Wii could be modded to play DVDs IIRC and I'm sure the Wii U could probably be as well for DVDs/Bluray.

From a modding perspective, you could look at NX not having a disc drive as a negative. I still don't think it's a factor. Streaming services are big nowadays and I'd imagine most people already own standalone DVD/Blu-ray players anyway.

Ahab

Banned
At some point these console manufacturers are going to have to offer owners a way to create physical copies of digitally purchased games. They can manufacture them themselves if they want, but by direct-order only. That way each copy is a guaranteed sale, and that can keep costs down accordingly.

So basically, buy the digital version, and if you like it enough, order a physical print copy for a small nominal fee. That would be a workable solution.

That's not practical or realistic.

Nanashrew

Banned
Exclusive mission.

Franklin has to collect 100 Mario coins spread throughout the entire Los Santos city in less than 5 minutes to unlock Nintendo universe costumes, gears and weapons

Finally, F.L.U.D.D. returns! Now with scalding hot water.

Also there needs to be a rainbow road.

Give me 14 on NX and I will be a happy man.

The PC version got so many new graphical improvements last year that the ps4 version still won't support.

AGITΩ

As long as we have a shot at mainline FF games return to Nintendo consoles, then inner child in me would feel complete. I never played 7 just because of how it made me feel let down as a kid, and Cloud in Smash made me geel pretty eh on the whole thing. If the rumored list of NX titles is true...i can believe again. Until then...im still liking the way this is going

orioto

Good Art™
Why would a Nintendo console need to be more powerful than current gen hardware if the majority of Nintendo titles use art styles and mechanics that don't really call for that sort of horsepower? Seems like it would be a little much for the type of games they develop.

EDIT: Third party exclusives, I guess?

I'm so tired to hear those bullshit...
Art style ? No need for that Horse power ?? What does that even mean... Nintendo constantly tries to give life to all their games, and there is not enough power in the universe to do it like an artist could imagine.

Maybe in your shitty imagination Drive Club needs all the power to display real forests and dynamic clouds, yet Mario Kart doesn't need to ? It needs it the exact same way.

From a modding perspective, you could look at NX not having a disc drive as a negative. I still don't think it's a factor. Streaming services are big nowadays and I'd imagine most people already own standalone DVD/Blu-ray players anyway.

Yeah I honestly don't think it's a big deal. In fact, nowadays the MAJOR things a multimedia service needs to have are all the major apps (Netflix, Hulu, BBC, HBO, etc). That's far more important than being able to play media from dics

I still think having a physical drive/slot/etc is important though. Streaming is one thing, downloading games is another, and most people still don't have the internet to do so. It's the reason even the best selling games are still like 70:30 physical:digital

Pinky

Banned
That poster explicitly mentioned 2017 in their post, i.e they seem to think NX isn't coming out this year.

That in itself is questionable. Something's definitely coming this year from Nintendo NX-related.

I don't think the poster was clear as to when in 2017 either. Hypothetically, if NX releases in March of 2017, PS4 will have been on the market for almost 3 1/2 years. I guess he was thinking holiday 2017...which would be insane. Nintendo has to release the console this holiday, IMO.

Nanashrew

Banned
Japan is almost purely physical. No way would Nintendo not have physical distribution of their games like carts or discs. Plus, Nintendo needs to keep relations with brick and mortar stores.

Instro

I'm so tired to hear those bullshit...
Art style ? No need for that Horse power ?? What does that even mean... Nintendo constantly tries to give life to all their games, and there is not enough power in the universe to do it like an artist could imagine.

Maybe in your shitty imagination Drive Club needs all the power to display real forests and dynamic clouds, yet Mario Kart doesn't need to ? It needs it the exact same way.

Agree. Theres always a way to make use of power, regardless of art style.

MoonFrog

I say this often but FFVIIR on a Nintendo. On a cartridge. Believe lol

Not that I think I'm going to get FFVIIR from the look of things...but that, I would probably be tempted by that poetry even if it doesn't turn itself around and show me that, yes, it is the FFVIIR I wanted and not the one I didn't want as it currently seems to be.

Meesh

Not that I think I'm going to get FFVIIR from the look of things...but that, I would probably be tempted by that poetry even if it doesn't turn itself around and show me that, yes, it is the FFVIIR I wanted and not the one I didn't want as it currently seems to be.
Being that I love the original so much in all its glory I found the changes they're making so far a little jarring, but I'll still be there day one to play this reimagining :)

That picture. Aside from Zelda and Pikmin 4, the list boils down to ports of Wii U games or late PS4 ports. I doubt that will even end up being what the release schedule looks like, but some of y'all seem easy to please. There's nothing impressive about that in my opinion.

Pikmin 4, Zelda, new Metroid, 3D Mario, Beyond Good and Evil 2, FZero...boom. Sick line up. Still don't understand why Nintendo refuse to touch F-Zero.

mavo

Banned
I don't think the poster was clear as to when in 2017 either. Hypothetically, if NX releases in March of 2017, PS4 will have been on the market for 3 1/2 years. I guess he was thinking holiday 2017...which would be insane. Nintendo has to release the console this holiday, IMO.

If it's releasing this year and it's a brand new concept, Nintendo will have a hell of a job to do trying to effectively explain to consumers about the NX apple levels of marketing. I know about the PS4 and XONE launches, but they are different cases and Xbox certainly needed more time to explain the changes they made.

I do believe is happening this year (no Wii U releases) but i wouldn't be surprised about 2017.

Some of you guys look at that Reddit picture and say "oh look it's only late ports!", but you have to think Nintendo hasn't revealed the NX so of course we won't know what new games are coming.

There is the rumor of Nintendo is funding Beyond Good & Evil 2 though.

Ad0ve

Banned
Dont know if this has already been posted, but someone on reddit compiled the rumored games in an image.

X0h7BJq.jpg
Whos this Miyamoto guy? A new insider?

Ad0ve

Banned
That picture. Aside from Zelda and Pikmin 4, the list boils down to ports of Wii U games or late PS4 ports. I doubt that will even end up being what the release schedule looks like, but some of y'all seem easy to please. There's nothing impressive about that in my opinion.

Pikmin 4, Zelda, new Metroid, 3D Mario, Beyond Good and Evil 2, FZero...boom. Sick line up. Still don't understand why Nintendo refuse to touch F-Zero.

No one cares about futuristic racers, WipeOut is also dead

KingBroly

Banned
I thought FFXV/7r were kinda speculation?

I know the FF14 guys said they'd do it if cross-play was in the cards, but given DQX is doing it, I can't imagine they won't put it there.

The return of FF to Nintendo systems with the game that's the poster boy for Nintendo losing 3rd party support thanks to going with cartridges...on an actual cartridge would be something else

The return of FF to Nintendo systems with the game that's the poster boy for Nintendo losing 3rd party support thanks to going with cartridges...on an actual cartridge would be something else

Still things have chnage since then and Japanese games don't rule the market .
Nintendo will get Japanese 3rd party support but what they really need is western support .

KingBroly

Banned
I swear to God if they announce a Metroid for NX by Retro or whatever I better see you here bawling your eyes out.

Context matters, man.

If they announce some kind of Other M-based...THING, I'll definitely be crying, but for all the wrong reasons.

mkfred

Banned
If this is true im gad i waited on Spatoon and Super Mario Maker. Still hoping Star Fox will get ported, but im not holding my breath

AzaK

If that's considered a boring list of titles, I perish to imagine a mildly exciting list.

Remove everything other than Zelda, add Metroid Prime 4. Done.

Has wii u as his avatar, comes into NX speculation thread shitposting. Ok.

DQ, FF etc have zero appeal to me whatsoever. I want the major western games on the platform. Splatoon and MM are already out. Overall it's pretty boring.

As for what's on NX, I can't see Nintendo remedying their western third party relations so combining that with their growing partnerships with Japanese publishers and bolstering Wii U as a "Nintendo machine" it all points to another Nintendo machine for NX. I've seen no other evidence to the contrary.

Hiltz

As of last year, Miyamoto said that Nintendo would consider bringing F-Zero back if it could come up with a worthwhile control interface idea for it in order to offer a new kind of gameplay experience. Obviously, this is exactly what Miyamoto did with Starfox.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
And again, if it has any ties to Other M, there will be tears. OF RAGE!

I hope they can that shit. Shit doesn't make sense at all for Metroid. 'We gotta test this super ultra new hi-tech gear. How do we do it? I KNOW! WE GONNA PLAY SOCCER!'
federation force is not some new gameplay thing for metrid going forward for now on, stop being ridiculous

That's better than anything in recent memory even though I have my doubts all these will be launch titles.

I will shave my head if the NX's launch has Nintendo's holy trilogy (obvious joke that Metroid is the holy ghost); it's just not realistic. The reason they haven't done anything with F-Zero is because they literally said they didn't have any idea of what to do with it.

Piscus

Make it a perfect rectangle just like the other two and we have a winner.

EDIT: now we're talking!

r0AtCUI.jpg

I think the Nintendo logo should be in the top-right corner, just to separate itself from the others even FURTHER.
Heck, put it in the top-right corner and then have the cases open on the LEFT!

edit: Actually, what if the logo and red banner was on the bottom? Below the image? The more I imagine it, the more I think that would actually be pretty awesome...

double edit: here's my terrible paint mock-up.
13000304_10156037504163647_5549156701907528067_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom