• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always go by what Miyamoto said in that they want a cheaper console. I only expected a system similar to PS4. Nintendo is being extremely tough on keeping the hardware a secret.

I think the SCD will be the gimmick along with some cross games with a NX handheld

He intentionally mislead everybody, so you'd think he'd get punished. But he wasn't the one who posted it to gaf so...

Then again maybe the mods gave him a pass just because it was funny.

Damn, that reminds me. ShockingAlberto is still banned.
It was funny because he basically fooled half the Internet and sparked pages and pages and pages of debates on multiple sites. He remained anonymous throughout the whole thing up until he admitted it was fake. And he also went through the trouble of 3D printing the damn thing. It was one of the most convincing fakes we've ever seen. Even better, it showed the true nature of "insiders" on GAF.

The rumors surrounding 10k are of a different nature, I think.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Emily Rogers is being awfully positive on Twitter about NX. It's obviously just her opinion—I mean, any evaluation has to be, even if it might be backed up by some knowledge most people don't have—but it does make me wish that Nintendo would just reveal the system right now. I want to be positive, too!

Zalman

Emily Rogers is being awfully positive on Twitter about NX. It's obviously just her opinion—I mean, any evaluation has to be, even if it might be backed up by some knowledge most people don't have—but it does make me wish that Nintendo would just reveal the system right now. I want to be positive, too!
What drives me every morning is knowing that we're one day closer to NX.

jonno394

You and me brother. After all the leaks a week or so back with one ir two starting "a direct will be announced over the next few days" I was hyped, but as the truth set in, I got deflated.

Just wish a surprise direct was announced now :(

Just remember we're as close to the reveal of the NX as we'll ever be. Less than two weeks is Nintendos Investors Meeting and we will hear about the NX there. Kimishima said this in the last meeting.

AmyS

I think the SCD will be the gimmick along with some cross games with a NX handheld

Yeah, I agree with that thinking.
The SCD could be the best gimmick Nintendo has ever come up with. The method of doing what it does is pretty unique, but the end result is what almost everyone here wants -- improved gaming performance in terms of processing, visuals, physics, etc.

Just remember we're as close to the reveal of the NX as we'll ever be. Less than two weeks is Nintendos Investors Meeting and we will hear about the NX there. Kimishima said this in the last meeting.

Good deal.

Meesh

I wanna believe, I wanna believe, I wanna believe...

Is it wrong whenever I see this thread updated or a new one opens I can't help but think of Zelda?

I don't think he ever said that.

Pretty sure he didn't, however it was said they wouldn't talk about NX until the next fiscal year, which just so happens to be this month, which is why some are expecting news of it from the first investor meeting of the year

Yeah, I agree with that thinking.
The SCD could be the best gimmick Nintendo has ever come up with. The method of doing what it does is pretty unique, but the end result is what almost everyone here wants -- improved gaming performance in terms of processing, visuals, physics, etc.

Good deal.

SCD?

I do find it interesting that in the old rumor thread there was a rando tweet from someone that did art on a Sonic comic that said he knew someone that knew someone that knew someone that worked on the NX and they told him things that made him "not confident" in it or something really vague like that, and people took his word as gospel. He didn't even leak anything.

We've got Emily Rogers and a couple of other people with a completely different, aligning outlook and they're met with skepticism and scorn, of all things.

Interestingly, in the time between these two events, we still know jackshit about the NX. I don't think there's been a console this secretive since the Wii.

Malus

Silly Confetti Distributor.

Fun for everyone!

I do find it interesting that in the old rumor thread there was a rando tweet from someone that did art on a Sonic comic that said he knew someone that knew someone that knew someone that worked on the NX and they told him things that made him "not confident" in it or something really vague like that, and people took his word as gospel. He didn't even leak anything.

We've got Emily Rogers and a couple of other people with a completely different, aligning outlook and they're met with skepticism and scorn, of all things.

Interestingly, in the time between these two events, we still know jackshit about the NX. I don't think there's been a console this secretive since the Wii.

Eh? I remember most people responding to the artist rumor with, "What would they know?"

It'll be interesting to see who's right in the end, anyways.

Anti-hype rumors:
-Liam Robertson: NX isn't looking to compete with PS4 in terms of power
-Sonic artist dudes: Not feeling optimistic for whatever reason
-Thomas Mahler: Heard it was handheld only and much less powerful than Xbone/PS4

Hype rumors:
-WSJ: "Industry Leading Chips"
-IndieGamerChick: NX technically more powerful than PS4, great dev tools
-LCGeek: CPU more powerful than Xbone (which has a better CPU than PS4)
-10k: NX overall more powerful than PS4

Brofield

Fun for everyone!

Eh? I remember most people responding to the artist rumor with, "What would they know?"

Anti-hype rumors:
-Thomas Mahler: Heard it was handheld only and much less powerful than Xbone/PS4

Hype rumors:

#TeamNXHYPE

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Fun for everyone!

Anti-hype rumors:

Hype rumors:

I wonder what Liam would say now. He seems to be in agreement with Emily Rogers on a lot things now, so perhaps he's more excited than he was previously.

I wanna believe, I wanna believe, I wanna believe...

Is it wrong whenever I see this thread updated or a new one opens I can't help but think of Zelda?
There's nothing wrong with that. I'm expecting NX and Zelda to be tied together. Zelda looks amazing (visually) as it is and we barely know a little more about it than the NX lol

If Nintendo wants to sell a ton of NX, they could have preinstalled games on it like a NES/SNES library and people would eat it up. But they rather sell them for the ninth time of course. Same for ports.
Yeah, just throw old NES and SNES roms on there and it would fly off the shelves.

You can't be serious.

AzaK

I always go by what Miyamoto said in that they want a cheaper console. I only expected a system similar to PS4. Nintendo is being extremely tough on keeping the hardware a secret.

Even before the term SCD arose I've posted on here many times how I want an expandable console. This solution, if done right could help Nintendo in SOOOOOOOO many ways.

1) They can release a base unit at a mainstream price. Think something XBO level or a bit less for maybe $200 or so.

2) They can appease the graphics whores (hand up) who have money to burn and are happy to spend $400-$500 on a powerful console.

3) They could provide a solution to multiple consoles in the home which someone could then use to make their games sexier when one of the units isn't being used.

Basically it'd make Nintendo happy with the low price of entry and at the same time be attractive to enthusiast gamers who are happy to pay more for sexiness of graphics.

The only problem is that the idea is so fantastical that I can't see Nintendo haven't the ability and met importantly, the balls, to pull it off in such a short time frame.

By this point in 2006, the year Wii launched, we knew far more about it than we know about NX at the present time.

This thing is a much bigger mystery than Wii!

Meesh

Just a little confusion on the SCD.

Will one be bundled with NX, will there be different versions to choose from, can you use more than one?(theories of course)

I barely skimmed the first page of the thread linked to here and was wondering if anyone could summarize or had any idea.

I suppose Azak mostly answered my queries. :)

TheJoRu

The only problem is that the idea is so fantastical that I can't see Nintendo haven't the ability and met importantly, the balls, to pull it off in such a short time frame.

Of all the things one could argue Nintendo lacks, balls isn't one of them. I'd say every Nintendo system since the DS is more ballsy than the SCD-idea, though I do like the idea a lot.

Oh, there was at least one person insinuating that dismissing the sonic dude made you a fanboy or something. Not unlike the people defending the random reddit rumor that said the NX would have friend codes.

Malus

It was part of a rumor[/URL] that also mentioned it might also be close to the PS4k in power...which of course seems to make little sense unless the PS4k isn't much of an upgrade after all

The rumor he said to stop putting in this thread lol.

Well, it's here already I guess.

Oh, there was at least one person insinuating that dismissing the sonic dude made you a fanboy or something. Not unlike the people defending the random reddit rumor that said the NX would have friend codes.

Well he made a good point. People were dismissing them because they were "just artists" and yet we get and trust rumors from totally anonymous people all the time, including people we know don't work in the industry or anything.

Roo

"marginally better than the PS4 but close to the "rumoured" PS4K specs."

Does not compute
How does that even work?

Nanashrew

Banned
Just a little confusion on the SCD.

Will one be bundled with NX, will there be different versions to choose from, can you use more than one?(theories of course)

I barely skimmed the first page of the thread linked to here and was wondering if anyone could summarize or had any idea.

Patent does mention daisy-chaining SCDs, yeah.

I wonder what Liam would say now. He seems to be in agreement with Emily Rogers on a lot things now, so perhaps he's more excited than he was previously.
I honestly think people mistook his original post, it seemed to be more of a general explanation of Nintendo's past MO mixed with his expectations for NX than "someone told me it won't compete (in hardware power)"

ReyVGM

By this point in 2006, the year Wii launched, we knew far more about it than we know about NX at the present time.

This thing is a much bigger mystery than Wii!

That's because the Wii was pretty much finalized in 2005 when they showed the console at E3. Helped by the fact that it was pretty much old hardware that they had used for years already. And it wasn't until 2006 that we saw the controller.

With the NX you can tell they didn't really have anything ready or final to talk about last year. Also, they are scrambling to release it ASAP since the WiiU has suffered a premature death.
The only reason I think they are really going to be able to release it so fast is because a lot of WiiU games were probably changed to NX games years ago or whatever new game project was started with the NX in mind and not the Wii U.

That's why Retro, and most of Nintendo's biggest teams, have been so quiet and why we have gotten so many "spinoff" titles like Federation Force, Triforce Heroes, Hyrule Warriors, etc.
They are saving the big games for the NX's launch window.

Malus

I honestly think people mistook his original post, it seemed to be more of a general explanation of Nintendo's past MO mixed with his expectations for NX than "someone told me it won't compete (in hardware power)"

He went on a podcast and said he talked to NX engineers who told him that info.

Does not compute
How does that even work?

I dunno. Someone get Thraktor here to make some sense of our pitiful lives.

And also give us some tech rundown too, if he's up for it.

AmyS

Even before the term SCD arose I've posted on here many times how I want an expandable console. This solution, if done right could help Nintendo in SOOOOOOOO many ways.

1) They can release a base unit at a mainstream price. Think something XBO level or a bit less for maybe $200 or so.

2) They can appease the graphics whores (hand up) who have money to burn and are happy to spend $400-$500 on a powerful console.

3) They could provide a solution to multiple consoles in the home which someone could then use to make their games sexier when one of the units isn't being used.

Basically it'd make Nintendo happy with the low price of entry and at the same time be attractive to enthusiast gamers who are happy to pay more for sexiness of graphics.

Great post.

I would imagine if the SCD happens it wouldn't be before 2018. It has the potential to also provide an answer to PS4K, a new more powerful Xbox, and so on, for hardcore gamers that care about graphics, framerate, etc.

Future versions of NX home console could potentially have the equivalent of an SCD built in, while still allowing for additional SCDs and/or NX consoles in the home to be utilized when not in use.

All maintaining NX's relevance through 2020+

Vena

Does not compute
How does that even work?

Probably depends on the application, or 10k made another non-technical savvy mistake. If you're just dumb-porting sideways from the shitpiles of the Jags, you'd likely see few gains and benefits as you'd be skipping multiple GCN generations without taking advantage of the gen upgrades. So the system is only a marginal boost through raw throughput.

If you actually sat down to use the system's own functions, you'd probably wallop said shitpiles and start approaching the PS4K which I still think is going to be on old cheap, hardware to make the differences between the systems not headache-inducing difficult (and because Sony wants your money, and will overcharge for middling hardware with a 499$ price-tag, PSVR made it obvious enough how they will treat "luxury" items and platforms).

Sheroking

Anti-hype rumors:

Important to note that all three of these are ancient quotes, long before any devkit was in the wild, and that the "handheld only" bit is all but disproven.

Tarin02543

The lack of any substantial info is driving me crazy, in the name of the gods how will this system look like??

We need someone to do another hoax prototype again, to satisfy our curiosity

Malus

Oh. Well then. Didn't know about the podcast.

http://www.gamnesia.com/podcasts/nintendo-week-episode-34

04:25

The lack of any substantial info is driving me crazy, in the name of the gods how will this system look like??

We need someone to do another hoax prototype again, to satisfy our curiosity

Gamesphere.jpg5e55680e-ba32-4fae-ac15-ce2df94c3a9fOriginal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom