• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

On the other hand, there is also mention of "putting it close to the rumored PS4K specs" if i read that correctly. It's a tad contradictory i think:

"My sources say it is marginally better than the PS4 and theoretically would be close to the "rumoured" PS4K specs."

The jump in GPU performance between PS4 and PS4K is supposed to be x2. So marginally better than PS4 yet close to PS4K... what does that mean? About 1.5x PS4 GPU? That's not 15-30% anymore.

Well, this is new info supposedly.

Also the 15-30% thing is a random guesstimate based off LCGeek's very vague estimation of the CPU power so I wouldn't take it so literally.

Eh, Imma just assume NX's graphics wil look generally the same as Xbone/PS4 to the casual observer.

-Horizon-

You don't even trust yourself! :p
Horizon is the last person I'll trust to watch my back.

...somebody help

giphy.gif

ozfunghi

Also the 15-30% thing is a random guesstimate based off LCGeek's very vague estimation of the CPU power so I wouldn't take it so literally.

Yeah, i know. But still we know the PS4K is supposed to do 2x better in the GPU dpt over PS4... so what is "marginally better" than PS4 yet "close to PS4K"?

Pinky

Banned
Price, I think is something that they'll be conscious about. They got burned by the 3ds starting price and the U gamepad tacking on an extra almost $100 or something.
I just find it hard to believe that they'll do something similar for a 3rd time and price their console high. Maybe they figured out a cheap way. But that's even more unlikely to me.

If they come swinging out of the gate and hope to make a big impact with NX, I can see them taking a decent loss on hardware, assuming the spec rumors turn out to be true. It would come down to the "gimmick" or "hook" as well. Put an attractive price tag on the console and make it a priority to grow the install base. That's the most important step. Recoup costs through software sales and other services/products(amiibo, for example).

Horizon is the last person I'll trust to watch my back.

...somebody help

giphy.gif

For some reason I imagine David Duchovny's when I see that gif.

Oh, and I'm trying so hard to be excited, but this damn Cynical Hat won't come off. I just want E3 to happen to confirm or dispel all these rumors.

btrboyev

On the other hand, there is also mention of "putting it close to the rumored PS4K specs" if i read that correctly. It's a tad contradictory i think:

"My sources say it is marginally better than the PS4 and theoretically would be close to the "rumoured" PS4K specs."

The jump in GPU performance between PS4 and PS4K is supposed to be x2. So marginally better than PS4 yet close to PS4K... what does that mean? About 1.5x PS4 GPU? That's not 15-30% anymore.
2x performance increase seems like a big stretch. I can see it in cpu, but not gpu.

MK_768

True there's a chance they won't, they can just decide to do it in May or wait for e3. While they'd probably steal the show by announcing a new console and revealing new games, I'd like them to spread it out and build hype instead of doing one big blow out. And I want to see the thing right now.

I'm willing to bet we'll see it announced in May along with the E3 stuff like when their conference is and what little events they'll be doing at E3.Then obviously we get the blowout at E3.

Instro

I believe the 15-30% thing was based off the CPU info.

Speaking of the PS4K, I'm kind of curious about something. So the performance boost is supposedly 2x, but presumably the console would still need to stay within it's same APU/GPU family correct? So for example, they might take something like a 7950 and put it on 14nm to see a big performance boost, but would they also be able to get the benefits of GCN 1.2/1.3 from more recent architectures?

ozfunghi

2x performance increase seems like a big stretch. I can see it in cpu, but not gpu.

CPU is rumored to not be upgraded at all, iirc?

What did I miss? Anyone have a summary?

Last 2 pages, basically 10k has posted some rumors on twitter, but he's too shy or ashamed to post them here because he couldn't get them verified by other sources, and now he's asking on twitter not to post his tweets in here, lol.

Malus

Well, the last Gaffer who posted an unsubstantiated rumor on the internet, only to have said rumor posted on gaf ended up with an awesome tag (the fake controller guy). You're on your way 10k.

Last 2 pages, basically 10k has posted some rumors on twitter, but he's too shy or ashamed to post them here because he couldn't get them verified by other sources, and now he's asking on twitter not to post his tweets in here, lol.

lol

It's more, "critical of the veracity of his sources." which is a good thing.

Nanashrew

Banned

10k what are you doing D:

Guys, I think he heard the rumour wrong, it's probably marginally BIGGER than the PS4, while its specs are close to the PS4K.

Would be hilarious if this turns out to be true.

-Horizon-

If they come swinging out of the gate and hope to make a big impact with NX, I can see them taking a decent loss on hardware, assuming the spec rumors turn out to be true. It would come down to the "gimmick" or "hook" as well. Put an attractive price tag on the console and make it a priority to grow the install base. That's the most important step. Recoup costs through software sales and other services/products(amiibo, for example).
That would be the ideal outcome yeah.
But I'm not sure I'm optimistic enough to think they would pull it off. Though I'd be OK with being proved wrong.

For some reason I imagine David Duchovny's when I see that gif.

Oh, and I'm trying so hard to be excited, but this damn Cynical Hat won't come off. I just want E3 to happen to confirm or dispel all these rumors.
They have the same bored and slightly grizzled look lol

Banned

From my understanding, the new architecture will allow for more compute unites at lower clock speeds, but theoretical performance will be twice as PS4 GPU. Which is the rumored raw spec of PS4K. That's what was said.

I posted what I heard on Twitter because it was unsubstantiated (only came from one source) and something didn't sit right with me.

The gimmick thing was a whole different source.

Let's just keep my Twitter posts out of here.

MK_768

Shy or ashamed? That's one way to put it I guess...

Instro

From my understanding, the new architecture will allow for more compute unites at lower clock speeds, but theoretical performance will be twice as PS4 GPU. Which is the rumored raw spec of PS4K. That's what was said.

I posted what I heard on Twitter because it was unsubstantiated (only came from one source) and something didn't sit right with me.

Unfortunately I think you'll have a tough time with that. There's little to talk about, and anything new, even if it comes from twitter, is going to get pulled in. You might be better off not posting NX stuff on twitter unless you feel it's worthy of being posted here. Just my two cents.

NateDrake

Welcome to the hell of being labeled an insider.

ozfunghi

Hey man, i didn't mean to put you on the spot, but i think everybody here wants to know what new info was heard, even if it means that it's 90% likely fake. Also, the PM i sent you was from the day before yesterday i think.

The thing that doesn't sit well with me is, that all this combined, would make for a very expensive device. That's why i asked if it came from the same source. Because if it did, it would be more likely to be fan fiction.

Banned
Unfortunately I think you'll have a tough time with that. There's little to talk about, and anything new, even if it comes from twitter, is going to get pulled in. You might be better off not posting NX stuff on twitter unless you feel it's worthy of being posted here. Just my two cents.
Jesus H. Christ. If there's little to talk about, go post in another thread and if the thread gets bumped with new information, come back to it. Can't wait two weeks?
Welcome to the hell of being labeled an insider.
Whew. Even though I'm not the source of the info lol.

MK_768

This will not happen unfortunately. You'll also have to get used to the snark and people misinterpreting you just to trash you.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Those aren't necessarily contradictory statements.

Banned
Hey man, i didn't mean to put you on the spot, but i think everybody here wants to know what new info was heard, even if it means that it's 90% likely fake. Also, the PM i sent you was from the day before yesterday i think.

The thing that doesn't sit well with me is, that all this combined, would make for a very expensive device. That's why i asked if it came from the same source. Because if it did, it would be more likely to be fan fiction.
Alright, well, if you want my opinion based off of what I heard, the NX is going to be expensive compared to past Nintendo consoles. Probably $350-400 range if it's got the hardware I was told it has. You're not getting a $299 console from Nintendo unless the specs get cut last second (highly unlikely) or Nintendo takes losses on the hardware.

And the screen controller can be optional for all we know.

If the idea of an expensive Nintendo console turns you off, don't buy one until it's the price you like. Consoles are about value. Think about what it'll do, the games it'll play, the media functions, and power inside the box before judging the price. It's not like theres some rule against expensive Nintendo hardware. Even if the Wii U and 3DS got early price cuts their problems were more software related than hardware at those times so don't believe in that precedent.

ozfunghi

Jesus H. Christ. If there's little to talk about, go post in another thread and if the thread gets bumped with new information, come back to it. Can't wait two weeks?

To be fair, even if we didn't know who wrote the tweet, or if it were somebody completely different, it could very well have ended up in here. I mean, maybe some guy on reddit would have picked it up first and somebody else would have posted it in here, i don't know. But you can't expect everybody to just ignore it.

Alright, well, if you want my opinion based off of what I heard, the NX is going to be expensive compared to past Nintendo consoles. Probably $350-400 range if it's got the hardware I was told it has. You're not getting a $299 console from Nintendo unless the specs get cut last second (highly unlikely) or Nintendo takes losses on the hardware.

And the screen controller can be optional for all we know.

If the idea of an expensive Nintendo console turns you off, don't buy one until it's the price you like. Consoles are about value. Think about what it'll do, the games it'll play, the media functions, and power inside the box before judging the price. It's not like theres some rule against expensive Nintendo hardware. Even if the Wii U and 3DS got early price cuts their problems were more software related than hardware at those times so don't believe in that precedent.

Thanks for your take on the matter, but i wasn't complaining about the price. I was just thinking about how that might be unlike Nintendo to do. Sure, the screen could be optional, like i hinted in a previous post (could be replaced by the handheld as well).

Instro

I agree, but you have people in here that post any little thing from reddit/4chan, and others that want to make a new GAF thread for every new rumor even if it causes unnecessary attention to the leaker and their source.

Malus

To be fair, even if we didn't know who wrote the tweet, or if it were somebody completely different, it could very well have ended up in here. I mean, maybe some guy on reddit would have picked it up first and somebody else would have posted it in here, i don't know. But you can't expect everybody to just ignore it.

Reminds me of when Trev didn't want his less credible rumors posted here. And I'm like, then don't put the rumors up on youtube lol. You're sharing it, no doubt it's gonna get shared some more. Anyways, there's a precedent thanks to the fake controller guy already that the mods won't punish you if someone else posts the rumor here and it turns out bogus.

Reminds me of when Trev didn't want his less credible rumors posted here. And I'm like, then don't put the rumors up on youtube lol. You're sharing it, no doubt it's gonna get shared some more. Anyways, there's a precedent thanks to the fake controller guy already that the mods won't punish you if someone else posts the rumor here and it turns out bogus.
I think the circumstances surrounding the fake controller were a bit different than this. But I agree, if you (not 10k specifically) don't want your rumors on GAF, then just don't post them online.

Well...the one rumor about a NX event being announced this week is definitely not happening so that's out the window lol.

I like when each rumor gets discredited one by one.

Does anyone have a roundup of these latest Twitter rumors? 10k and the others? I'm not seeing anything on reddit since I guess they started cracking down.

Malus

Does anyone have a roundup of these latest Twitter rumors? 10k and the others? I'm not seeing anything on reddit since I guess they started cracking down.

Well 10k just said he didn't want us bringing those rumors here.

I think the circumstances surrounding the fake controller were a bit different than this.

He intentionally mislead everybody, so you'd think he'd get punished. But he wasn't the one who posted it to gaf so...

Then again maybe the mods gave him a pass just because it was funny.

Damn, that reminds me. ShockingAlberto is still banned.

Sheroking

So the gimmick is rumored to be a new gamepad? That's hardly a "brand new concept" (Kimishima dixit)...

No, there's no rumor of a new GamePad - only second screen support.

Which for all we know could mean built-in functionality with a future handheld or backwards compatibility with the GamePad. Hell, it could even be referring to interaction with mobile devices.

If they're pushing PS4 specs with this thing, which seems to be the consistent rumor, they probably won't be selling an expensive peripheral controller. The math doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom