• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PC Engine Mini Pre-Orders Are Faring Very Poorly

Vitacat

Yeah, as TLZ explained already, it's very easy. I've done a lot of hacks, and PL is probably the easiest one ever. It literally guides you along every step. You will have no trouble at all. Just be sure to consult the compatability chart before adding games. Over 90% work well, but a few good ones sadly don't (i.e. TMNT Hyperstone Heist). There is a way to run those other games using Retroarch, though. It just takes a bit of extra to setup.

Last edited:
Damn, that sucks to hear. I hope this doesn't deter them from doing a PC-98 mini. I think the market for console minis might be cooling off but the market for microcomputer minis is still really ripe. I'd be down for a PC-98 mini with translations for the best games and some OS utility programs.

Dev1lXYZ

So, the TG-16 and I go way back. I remember convincing my parents to take me on a 4 hour journey out of town to get a Sega Genesis for Christmas in December of 1989. Toys R Us had both systems on display and I was shocked how BAD TG-16 looked with that wreck of a pack in Keith Courage, especially when you had Altered Beast playing right beside it. They should have displayed the TG-16 CD pack in Y’s Books 1 & 2 instead as it was out at the time as well. Yes, it was $400 which was practically out of reach of most parents at the time, but it would have been amazing to see.

I would later get a TG-16 a few years later for cheap with the CD add on and about ten games. By that time, the system was dead in the US but it had some good games. Over the years, I really grew to like the system more or less for RPG’s and shmups. There are some of the best in history on that thing. I’m going to add all of the games I want to my TG16 mini in short order after release. I know that Snatcher is going to get an English patch and all of the other games that I want to play don’t have a language barrier. Is it worth $100 for most people? Hell no. I’ll get my money’s worth and then some with a few tweaks. Hell, my Genesis mini has has gotten a lot of play even before installing PL.

Last edited:

Xenon

After watching a best of the TurboGrafx 16. My interest dropped to zero. There is not a single game I wanted to play.

Bar81

The PCE game collection is just a mess for the most part - so many missing classics. Even as a huge fan of the console I couldn't convince myself to care about the mini. Compare that to Sega's curated game collection on their MD mini which was on point other than a couple of games not to mention the tower of power add on and the cool LE with all the mini cartridges. There was love in the Sega effort. No one at Konami gives a crap about the PCE.

Kazza

Hopefully hype will start building up a bit once some youtubers get their hands on it. For me, £100 ($128) is just too high a price. I'll gladly buy one once they go on sale. Maybe the high initial price is to sell to the hardcore, then they will drop it to a more reasonable level a couple of months down the line.

After watching a best of the TurboGrafx 16. My interest dropped to zero. There is not a single game I wanted to play.

Not even the Ys or Valis games?

The PCE game collection is just a mess for the most part - so many missing classics. Even as a huge fan of the console I couldn't convince myself to care about the mini. Compare that to Sega's curated game collection on their MD mini which was on point other than a couple of games not to mention the tower of power add on and the cool LE with all the mini cartridges. There was love in the Sega effort. No one at Konami gives a crap about the PCE.

TBF SEGA was still stupid not to bring the Tower of Power here. Japan barely gave a crap about MEGA CD or Super 32X back in the day.

....unless that's precisely why those mini add-ons were only released there. If they barely know, they won't remember...4D chess move. I see you, SEGA.

Last edited:
As above, extremely specific product, no where near the fame of the SNES or NES. This would have been better as one of those HD remix compilations like the Atari ones etc.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was thinking about getting the Mini because I know absolutely nothing about this console. My only experience is playing it at Toys R Us ~30 years ago.

Dev1lXYZ

Do you know something we don’t know? It’s Japanese only as far as we can tell.

I know with a popular title like that an English patch will be out pretty quickly. The console will be hacked for roms and patches.

Last edited:

Dazrael

I know with a popular title like that an English patch will be out pretty quickly. The console will be hacked for roms and patches.

They will have to re-translate the PC Engine version then as it differs to the Mega CD version (which is why no-one has done a 1:1 translation up until now)

Still it’s be great if someone did do it, I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed like you for that one but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

NAI1210

I've always wanted a Japanese pc engine and cd rom add on, something about the form factor of that machine always appealed to me, so many great games on the system, but don't really want to pay collectors prices to build up a collection of games, so I'm very interested in picking up the Japanese version of this mini up some great games included on this, I'm at ill wait and see what price I can pick this up for and see hands on reviews of the emulation

Dev1lXYZ

They will have to re-translate the PC Engine version then as it differs to the Mega CD version (which is why no-one has done a 1:1 translation up until now)

Still it’s be great if someone did do it, I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed like you for that one but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

It being in the spotlight should bring the translation to bear. If not, then there is always Blazing Lazers/Gunhed. That game alone will satisfy me for a quite a while. I need to master my patterns again.

Vitacat

I thought I'd get one of these since I do love the TG16 games (Bonk, the SHMUPs, Devil's Crush etc.) and still own a Turbo Express (sasly no longer works), but probably not. I have a Genesis Mini and it's very nice, but the reality is there are so many better ways to emulate these games on a PC. All you need is to buy one of the many great controller options we have these days and you're golden. I respect others who want one for nostalgia or collecting, but I think I might be out. Plus, I never liked the US version's physical design, not even back when I owned the original TG16. The PC Engine remains the best design.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I got my email from Amazon UK today telling me they don't know when it will be released now.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If it was available on Best Buy I'd probably have pre-ordered one by now, but I don't like to give Amazon any more business than necessary.

From what I've read online, a certain amount of the Japanese PCE units were finished and supplied to Amazon.jp. People who pre-ordered should be getting their units (at least in-country); and at the moment, the system seems available for normal retail purchase on Amazon.jp.

Regardless of the situation, some individuals in Japan do have the unit, while the international releases still seem to be indefinitely delayed.

Last edited:

Genx3

Charging $100 for the TG16, 1 controller in the box and the lack of Legendary Axe 1 & 2 as titles in the collection make this thing way over priced.
The fact I won't be able to enjoy some of the games without an English translation sucks too.
Konami got so much wrong.

TwiztidElf

A Japanese PC Engine has always been my most desired console that I never owned.
A mini was to be my consolation.
Foiled again!
Thanks Obama.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This system was doomed to fail from the start, UNLESS their expectations were low and were trying to sell a small number of units in Japan.

Pretty sure the average NA or European gamer didn't care for T-16.

However, it seemed they were trying to make this product a global thing with the various versions.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't even think the Genesis/Mega Drive has done too great. They were dumping these for 30-40% off right away at Walmart Canada in the first month. And Sega nostalgia is way higher than T-16/PCE in NA/Europe.

Last edited:

Dazrael

This might show that the Mini bubble has burst. Nintendo were clever enough to control the situation with artificial scarcity which made their systems relevant.

Sony and Sega went with supply over demand and failed. The scarcity of the PCE Mini right now might improve its popularity; it might sell out, at least out of its first batch. This one might be one to keep an eye on.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Nintendo were clever enough to control the situation with artificial scarcity which made their systems relevant.
I have seen this bandied about as fact for over a decade with not a sliver of evidence provided to back up the accusation. Not even once.

I think people need to come to terms with the possible scenario that Nintendo hardware just sells out because it’s Nintendo. Pure and simple.

Dazrael

I have seen this bandied about as fact for over a decade with not a sliver of evidence provided to back up the accusation. Not even once.

I think people need to come to terms with the possible scenario that Nintendo hardware just sells out because it’s Nintendo. Pure and simple.

Well you have to at least entertain the idea that the Mini's came up at a pivotal point, what with the Switch releases in the doldrums and nothing in their release schedule to keep them in the minds of the public. I don't doubt their popularity but Nintendo should have anticipated their desirability. Either they didn't read the market enough or carefully controlled it, and we all know how savvy Nintendo can be.

Truth be told there is no way of knowing but them doing what they did isn't out of the realms of impossibility.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well you have to at least entertain the idea that the Mini's came up at a pivotal point, what with the Switch releases in the doldrums and nothing in their release schedule to keep them in the minds of the public. I don't doubt their popularity but Nintendo should have anticipated their desirability. Either they didn't read the market enough or carefully controlled it, and we all know how savvy Nintendo can be.

Truth be told there is no way of knowing but them doing what they did isn't out of the realms of impossibility.
I think it’s possible that they are simply a conservative company, being Japanese. They don’t over order on anything. They’re smart, in other words. There is a documented history of companies getting ahead of themselves and over extending. Commodore being a gaming/tech industry example.

I think that’s more likely than the image of a boardroom table surrounded by Nintendo execs maniacally cackling whilst they discuss how they can pretend their latest console has “sold out”.

k6GbnBW.gif

Last edited:

Dazrael

Possibly, it’s proven that people do love to buy Nintendo products over and over again. It does make you wonder though why other Mini’s don’t sell out as much as the Nintendo products did.

Top Bottom