• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dragon Age Veilguard Pre-Orders are really bad

Ozriel

M$FT
EA: "Dragon Age Inquisition sold much better than we expected"
Also EA: "Let's completely change it for the next one"

Not sure it’d have sold that well if it was just a carbon copy of the previous game.

I’m not sure a visual change qualifies as a ‘complete change’. It’s not like the lore or genre is changed completely.

Zathalus

Ah yes "retail sources". Just looking at the respective YouTube channels and you can see they are the typical outrage farming grifter. I highly doubt they have any real numbers and are just looking to stir up shit.

I'm not saying that pre orders are great, or the game will be amazing, or even that it will sell well. Everything so far indicates a middling game that will probably crash and burn. I'm just stating that information from agenda driven sources like this is usually suspect.

I've noticed that I've completely stopped buying Western-made AAA games at full price. I just won't allow myself to pay a lot of money to be preached to and propagandized by a bunch of shitty people. Most games made in North America simply aren't worth paying full price for anymore. The people making them are too batshit crazy.

Retrofluxed

I'm not buying it, at least a launch. I was a huge Bioware fanboy to the point I once considered them my favorite studio and bought everything at release. After Andromeda and Anthem and how much the studio has changed over the last 10 years, I am no longer said "Bioware fanboy". I don't even rank Bioware in my favorite studios list anymore. They're effectively dead to me.

dorkimoe

Maybe people learned that preordering is dumb and games are mostly unfinished at release date.
Better pick it up after the reviews, patches and discounts are up
It’s funny because every thread is “don’t pre order!”
Then when a game doesn’t have good pre orders everyone laughs. SMH

Kings Field

Conor Mcgregor Lol GIF by UFC

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I owned DA:O plus expansion, DA:II, and Inquisition. I have no desire to play this new one. IMO BioWare games have sorta sucked for the last couple years. I didn’t like Andromeda or Anthem. This looks like the artist from Fortnite took control. The story doesn’t matter to me. The BioWare I knew isn’t the same BioWare that exists today. I’d rather give another developer the time and money. I wanted that Kotor remake, but 🤷‍♂️

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
YouTuber Doctor Disaster shared, “I have an acquaintance in the retail world, someone who runs nine stores that sells video games. And I am hearing that these ratios that we’re seeing in damn near every video released for Dragon Age: The Veilguard, these ratios are correlating with piss poor pre-sales data. People are not connecting with The Veilguard because Dragon Age games are supposed to be dark and gritty and this just looks completely soft.”
Probably in come respect a continuation of the market's preference for digital storefronts. Although that said I guess everything is relative, so it would be good to hear more of a comparison with a similar recent release that wasn't as soft in pre-order numbers.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You can't find the game under 59.99€ on PC at the moment, it's more expensive on key resellers than on steam/epic.

I preorder games when I can get them cheaper.
Yep, people doesn't understand that preorders sometimes come with a big discount, it's the only reason why pc people preorder, there is no fomo involved, we know digital copies are infinite.

But yeah i checked and there are no cheap keys for the game, just the standard price, in this case there is no reason to preorder at all.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

LOVED the first 3 DA games. Inquisition was my GotY. I just can't see myself playing this game.

Based on the look of the game, the overall design and certain choices they made, the game is certainly not made for me. I am not the target audience. It appears I'm not alone

And I just have to be honest, I am seeing the trend here with developers who care more about imposing their personal morales in these games and less about making games appeal to the general public.

“As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully"

Mossybrew

While I'm not preordering I will still probably get the game shortly after release - I do want to hear what some outlets say about it first. The art style is a bit offputting, but I loved Inquisition so I'm holding on to some faith that this can still be a really fun game.

While I'm not preordering I will still probably get the game shortly after release - I do want to hear what some outlets say about it first. The art style is a bit offputting, but I loved Inquisition so I'm holding on to some faith that this can still be a really fun game.
I'm not a fan of the art style, but gameplay is king and story is queen.

So long as a game's art is not outright disgusting (like for me, chibi or whatever you call Genshin Impact's) it won't impact my desire to play it.

Everyone wants to fuck anything and everything in BG3, right? Hell even the animals aren't safe yet the game still sold incredibly well. Having that element isn't a detriment to it's success but other stuff around it. Right now it seems there's a wave of negativity around the departure in art style from old games and the usual crew jumping at the shadows anything they deem to be DEI inspired.

Everyone wants to fuck anything and everything in BG3, right? Hell even the animals aren't safe yet the game still sold incredibly well. Having that element isn't a detriment to it's success but other stuff around it. Right now it seems there's a wave of negativity around the departure in art style from old games and the usual crew jumping at the shadows anything they deem to be DEI inspired.
That's true, BG3 is extremely diverse and also extremely beloved. You just can't get caught up in thinking that anti-DEI culture warriors are going to have critical thinking skills or behave in any way that isn't massively hypocritical.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Veilguard is also now a hack and slash action game. I don’t think too many old school DA fans want that.

And you can’t control your full party anymore too.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
By the wacky-ass brain wormed definition of "woke", every DA game (and ME too) has been very "woke".
When they publicize non-binary characters in a fucking fantasy game not located in modern california and the head boss of the studio has "queerosexual gendermancer" in her bio, plus all the other things that i don't remember, you can bet your sweet ass that people are gonna think that the game is woke as fuck, first impression are hard to forget.

But like i said, being clearly woke is the last of this game problem, i bought and enjoyed a lot of supposedly woke games, but this looks very unappealing, the mobile looking ui is beyond terrible and i can't get over how lame the enemy design is, and i'm playing the fucking space marine 2 where enemies are the most generic ass, charisma vacuum, simple minded xenomorph wannabe aliens you can imagine, and they still look more interesting than the uber generic demon i saw in veilguard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom