• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Splinter Cell Blacklist Remastered was planned for 2024, Splinter Cell Remake has no release window.

Draugoth

Gold Member
splinter-cell-remake_PZqvd60.jpg

Source

Via PH Brazil (Switch 2 Leaker):
  • The decision to delay was also influenced by the terrible sales of Star Wars: Outlaws, they were expecting the game to be huge.
  • After recent titles underperforming (like Outlaws) they weren't feeling safe to release a bugged Assassin's Creed game anymore, like they did with previous titles in the past (Origins and Unity).
  • Ubisoft is expecting the game to sell 10 million units, like previous mainline titles.
  • Ubisoft is internally feeling confident with the game's overall quality - minus the bugs (based on internal playing and previews).
  • Overall sentiment inside Ubisoft is 'fear their next games are going to keep floping'.
  • Splinter Cell Remake has been internally delayed, it's in pretty bad shape, No release window.
  • Ubisoft was planning to release a Splinter Cell Blacklist Remastered in 2024 back in July.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
  • After recent titles underperforming (like Outlaws) they weren't feeling safe to release a bugged Assassin's Creed game anymore, like they did with previous titles in the past (Origins and Unity).
  • Ubisoft is expecting the game to sell 10 million units, like previous mainline titles.

Honestly Ubi, had you dropped all those craps, even if Shadows was just a Origin clone set in Japan, it would have easily sold 10 million.

Last edited:

BlackTron

lol only release a game without bugs when you don't feel "safe"

I wish gamers voted with their wallets more often

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I have zero confidence in modern Ubisofts ability to remake Splinter Cell. It's an all time classic and they're not gonna come through.

As somebody who played it and enjoyed it back in the day I wonder how it would hold up?

Although maybe a remake would change it a little?

Last edited:

Puscifer

It's a shame because The Sands of Time Remake has a great release window... 2026

*I played Blacklist on X360 back then but I don't remember anything.
WTF is up with remakes Silent Hill 2 taking years longer to remake than the original titles when you have entire skeletons to work from? Titles built from the ground up have less shit to deal with

As somebody who played it and enjoyed it back in the day I wonder how it would hold up?

Although maybe a remake would change it a little?
All they have to do is port everything into the blacklist engine and update textures. But do you think they're that smart?

Last edited:

Jesb

They should be remaking CT. Figures there having problems with the remake. It’s amazing ubi isn’t even capable anymore to make one game in this series.

GoldenEye98

PC version holds up surprisingly well

I dunno feel like if they are going to do a remake and have it have a chance at selling well it would have to be a UE5 game. According to wikipedia Blacklist used UE2.5

Edit: nm just read it's using Snowdrop engine....hmmm...

Last edited:
As per usual with a Draugoth thread, these bullet points don't directly connect to the thread title. The bolded is the context that is missing:

• The decision to delay AC Shadows was also influenced by the terrible sales of Star Wars: Outlaws, as they were expecting the game to be huge.
  • Ubisoft is expecting AC Shadows to sell 10 million units, like previous mainline titles.
  • Ubisoft is internally feeling confident with the AC Shadows overall quality - minus the bugs (based on internal playing and previews).
  • Overall sentiment inside Ubisoft is 'fear their next games are going to keep flopping'.
Now what OP is touching on with the title, is only referenced in the final two bullet points:
  • Splinter Cell Remake has been internally delayed, it's in pretty bad shape. No release window.
  • Ubisoft was planning to release a Splinter Cell Blacklist Remastered in 2024, announcement would have been in July.

tl;dr most of these points are about Assassin's Creed Shadows and their fear of releasing an undercooked, buggy games to the public, because what happened with SW Outlaws had a ripple effect on their other internal projects.

Sybrix

Blacklist is the best. I still have it on my account. I'd get this on a deep sale. One of the best stealth games ever made. The PvP is also great.

Fuck off, seriously. Blacklist the best?!

Better than SC1, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory!?

Blacklist was the last Splinter Cell for a reason, implamenting idiotic gameplay mechanics, that stupid slow mo shit, it turned SC into an action game rather than a stealth game.

Ubisoft will always Ubisoft........... remaster one of the worst SC games, idiotic.

Blacklist was the last Splinter Cell for a reason, implamenting idiotic gameplay mechanics, that stupid slow mo shit, it turned SC into an action game rather than a stealth game.

Ubisoft will always Ubisoft........... remaster one of the worst SC games, idiotic.
I commend Blacklist for at least attempting to mix the gameplay of old Splinter Cell and the newer Conviction-style Splinter Cell.

Given more entries they probably could have fully figured out the perfect mixture.

Gerdav

How about a NEW splinter cell game ?
Should be careful what we wish for though, Sam Fisher will now be Samantha Fisher, a black trans gay quadriplegic, while one of the new innovative stealth mechanics will be oiling the wheels of “their” wheelchair to make sure “they” remain undetected, if spotted “they” will have to navigate “their” way out of trouble through dialogue choices to reach the required level of kindness.

Aldynes

Splinter Cell games are the ones I replay trough each entries on a yearly basis or so for a long time, I gotta say Blacklist is really close to blend Chaos Theory with Conviction.

The gameplay is great in a sense that the game allow you to play it from one end of the spectrum (full stealth) to the other (all guns blazing) hence the two cited earlier, it also manages imo to avoid the common trope of using try & retry gameplay by reloading your previous save, which is inherent to the series (and the genre) by having an excellent gameplay outside of the stealth approach, when the action starts you don't feel you already lost by having poor mobility or a gimped weapon or slow aiming, you have plenty of tools, tactics, CQC moves, gadgets, smart interactivity stuff like puddles of water to electrify via the use of gadgets for ex to take out many enemies all at once (without killing them), it's flexible enough in that sens.

The movement in the game is amazing as Sam moves fast enough trough the area to climb any obstacles smoothly to either take out bad guys, reposition or escape a situation if you got caught, you're the predator and you completely own the place with that mobility.

Which all peak in the minute to minute gameplay, the quick thinking you have to get to clear a room or area by scouting (if possible) to determine who to take out first to unlock your John Wick instant kills perk that will take care of the remaining group and the feeling of feeling like a bad-ass is something this game excells at.

So yeah bring on the Remaster and give it a second chance, I think it's an underrated game that didn't got a fair chance at release due to Splinter Cell Conviction being so different and alienating the fanbase, hell I didn't buy Blacklist back then because to me Splinter Cell has peaked with Chaos Theory (and still does) and I was bitter that my beloved series tried to catter to a new playerbase, how wrong I was to skip it.

Last edited:

Codiox

It would easily pass as a remake in 2025. All it needs is an updated lighting model. Maybe a bit more detailed character models.

wtf, i totally forgot about about that game. i played it when it released and liked it i guess, but seeing this now is thinking "damn, this is playable, like, right now???"

played it on x360 though, need to play this on PC now with a 3080. damn im hyped now :D

Miles708

Remaster one of the shittest in the series? lol
My thoughts exactly.
It was mostly fine but why choose that one over Chaos Theory is beyond me.

Unless they are planning to remake Chaos Theory from scratch, in which case I'm interested

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

It would easily pass as a remake in 2025. All it needs is an updated lighting model. Maybe a bit more detailed character models.

Yeah the PC version maxed holds it up pretty well. I played the 360 version...

That being said my take away from watching this is actually how cool some of the game mechanics were.

GoldenEye98

My thoughts exactly.
It was mostly fine but why choose that one over Chaos Theory is beyond me.

Unless they are planning to remake Chassis Theory from scratch, in which case I'm interested

I mean it's a remake not a remaster. Remake gives more flexibility to reboot the series no?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Shit like this is what killed Splinter Cell. Conviction was a fantastic game and Blacklist is 100x better. They invented marking enemies. The cover system movement is 2nd to none. The melee kills are amazing. Lethal or nonlethal.

But no, you cant possibly adapt or appreciate a new game just for what it is. You have to endlessly masturbate to Chaos Theory for 20 years. Pathetic. I remember people throwing a fit just because Blacklist had a level set during the daytime. Its embarrassing.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

Shit like this is what killed Splinter Cell. Conviction was a fantastic game and Blacklist is 100x better. They invented marking enemies. The cover system movement is 2nd to none. The melee kills are amazing. Lethal or nonlethal.

But no, you cant possibly adapt or appreciate a new game just for what it is. You have to endlessly masturbate to Chaos Theory for 20 years. Pathetic. I remember people throwing a fit just because Blacklist had a level set during the daytime. Its embarrassing.

There is also nothing stopping you from just playing the slower stealth style that those old games had. The newer mechanics just gave you more flexibility in choosing how to play.

Strider7

Dude… Splinter Cell is legit the only thing I still want from this company. Why can’t they give me anything at all? I’d kill for Blacklist remastered.

intbal

wtf, i totally forgot about about that game. i played it when it released and liked it i guess, but seeing this now is thinking "damn, this is playable, like, right now???"

played it on x360 though, need to play this on PC now with a 3080. damn im hyped now :D

Yeah the PC version maxed holds it up pretty well. I played the 360 version...

That being said my take away from watching this is actually how cool some of the game mechanics were.

The 360 version compares well to the PC version.
The only real differences are the shadow settings and the 30hz cap on the framerate.
I suspect Microsoft had the Splinter Cell games marked as candidates for the FPS Boost feature on Series X, but since Ubisoft was planning remakes, they wouldn't allow it.
It's a shame MS no longer gives a shit about their BC program or FPS Boost, otherwise they could probably get all of the Splinter Cell games running at 60fps (or 120fps for the first four games).

Here is that same gameplay sequence, but using the X360's version, playing at 4K30 on a Series X through backwards compatibility. You can't disable the HUD or mod the 360 version like the PC gameplay footage, but it still looks great.

Top Bottom