• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocks

Nintendawg said:
So SUPPOSEDLY Nintendo's creating holograms and the like on consoles?
I guess it was only a matter of time. As crazy as these rumors sound, it fits in line with the 3DS and the many years they've spent trying to accomplish 3D gameplay.

I seem to remember some higher-up in Nintendo talking about having Luigi's Mansion display in 3D on a regular TV, which is interesting, to say the least. I guess they have more things in mind that aren't related to the 3DS.

I for one welcome Project Cafe.

That was Iwata.. see my post here.

M74

Sadist said:
He also stated that the 3D features the system offers are revolutionairy and stunning, because you don´t need any glasses or 3DTV to experience it! The controller with build in screen and camera plays a huge part of that hologram like 3D effect.
Ubisoft is trolling us all. They must be.

Right?

Stripper13 said:
Am I the only one buzzing in anticipation of E3 simply because I can't wait to see what Sony and MS respond with?

I want the next Nintendo console to be fucking amazing, I'll be there day one provided there is Zelda/Mario to back it up - but I really want it to blow the 360/PS3 away simply to see how far MS/Sony will go. Another loss leader might be bad for profits - but it's great for me as a consumer, bring on 8gb RAM.

Sony will respond with NGP and lots of PS3 stuff.
I think MS is off in its own little world, though. Last year was just awful. We'll see, though.

M74 said:
Ubisoft is trolling us all. They must be.

Right?

When are they not?
"HEY GUYS! WE'RE MAKING A NEW BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL!"
*shelved forever*

apana

Mario already looks good, the main thing the Wii 2 can do is allow the developers to create even larger worlds. It's Zelda that should get the big budget graphical treatment, it's a fantasy game.

Neiteio

Dissonance said:
It'd be hilarious if Sadness ends up on Wii 2.

Would be the plot twist of the century.
Whoa, forgot all about this game. Did it just become vaporware? It was like one of those (unrealistic, completely improbable) bastions of hope for sophisticated adult content on Wii back in its early days. Instead we got the (no doubt far, far superior) Shattered Memories, which looked good from the start and absolutely delivered. (Predictable scares aside.)

Snakeyes

Pyrokai said:
Definitely makes sense. The question, then, is which route they're going to take again with the Cafe......?

Considering all the "roughly equal to a 360" talk, it seems like they're going for the latter. The only difference is that whatever novelty they come up with will almost certainly not be as successful as the Wiimote and definitely won't make up for the power gap between Cafe and the other systems.

Neiteio said:
Whoa, forgot all about this game. Did it just become vaporware? It was like one of those (unrealistic, completely improbable) bastions of hope for sophisticated adult content on Wii back in its early days. Instead we got the (no doubt far, far superior) Shattered Memories, which looked good from the start and absolutely delivered. (Predictable scares aside.)
It was never real. The whole thing was a scam for investor money, last I heard.

All the "screenshots" were live action pictures or artwork with blur filters painted over them.

Pocks

I skipped over the hologram part.. interesting. I don't know what to think anymore. I hope April 25th isn't a disappointment.

AceBandage said:
Sony will respond with NGP and lots of PS3 stuff.
I think MS is off in its own little world, though. Last year was just awful. We'll see, though.

When are they not?
"HEY GUYS! WE'RE MAKING A NEW BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL!"
*shelved forever*
New MS handheld revealed at E3.. will be using AMD mobile technology, releases 2012. You heard it here first.

apana

One question is how can I be playing with holograms while playing the game on a big screen as well. It doesn't make any sense, sounds distracting.

Neiteio

Snakeyes said:
Considering all the "roughly equal to a 360" talk, it seems like they're going for the latter. The only difference is that whatever novelty they come up with will almost certainly not be as successful as the Wiimote and definitely won't make up for the power gap between Cafe and the other systems.
But then again, as long as the system is HD, the graphics will be at the point of diminishing returns. Sorry, but that "next-gen" target reel of the detective flicking his cigarette in Blade Runner just looks like more of the same at a glance. The difference between this gen and next won't be so obvious as between this gen on an HDTV and last gen (GCN/Wii tech) on an SDTV.

And what's this about holograms??

Neiteio said:
Yeah, it got cancelled because of development and publisher issues. It even caused Nibris to go under.

The controller IS the console AND the screen.

It's a 18" ipad with multiple touch and haptic feedback, not portable.

It's the only way a screen "attached" to a controller could bring an improvement in gameplay without being ackward.

BELIEVE!

I don't see them taking the gamecube controller and attach a screen on it.

Pocks

ksamedi said:
The first thing I thought about was retinal scan display technology when I read the rumor. hmmm

Can it detect pupil dilation? Two biometric features.. This would backup what Gabe has been mentioning about what will be in the next console(s).

C'mon Nintendo, unveil a killer partnership with Valve at E3. Exclusive content + Steam-esque online system, here I come!

Poyunch

What if the release of Cafe and Dragon Quest X were close? That would be a first. I wonder how much of an effect it would have on the sales of Cafe.

ShockingAlberto said:
It was never real. The whole thing was a scam for investor money, last I heard.

All the "screenshots" were live action pictures or artwork with blur filters painted over them.
Really? I heard it was real.

One of the composers on the game even released the unfinished work to the public last year. Still, it had a kickass concept. :(

Symphonic

First Children said:

It's the only way a screen "attached" to a controller could bring an improvement in gameplay without being ackward.

BELIEVE!

An iPad-esque system would fit with the "Project Cafe" name, that's for sure. Maybe Nintendo is finally realizing that hipsters have too much money.

apana

PounchEnvy said:
What if the release of Cafe and Dragon Quest X were close? That would be a first. I wonder how much of an effect it would have on the sales of Cafe.

Twilight Princess deal. They get the userbase of Wii plus the launch hype from Wii 2. Also please stop calling it the Cafe.

PounchEnvy said:
arent console Dragon Quest games released very late in consoles' lives, sometimes even after the successor has been launched?

Why was I questioning if controls above a touch screen is possibe when it's already been done?!

AcmvT.jpg

Shorty

Banned
First Children said:

BELIEVE!

so it's a handheld?

the quote about GCN and GBA 3D is pretty mindblowing.

Poyunch

Dissonance said:
Really? I heard it was real.

One of the composers on the game even released the unfinished work to the public last year. Still, it had a kickass concept. :(
I think the devs were bragging about a minecart they modeled. That's how "real" it was.

apana said:
Twilight Princess deal. They get the userbase of Wii plus the launch hype from Wii 2. Also please stop calling it the Cafe.
I refuse! I think it's a fancy name.

JimWood27 said:
arent console Dragon Quest games released very late in consoles' lives, sometimes even after the successor has been launched?
Yes but this is rumored to be backwards compatible so it would be able to play Wii games.

PounchEnvy said:
DQ has been released after a successor system has come out before. Even if that were true, it wouldn't be something new.

apana

L00P said:
Whatever this new controller is, at least it's not the vitality sensor

Why would vitality sensor be so horrible? Bio feedback membrane sounds better than a touch screen. I don't actually believe it's holographic by the way.

neptunes

If this really does launch next march (which I really think it won't) it'll be this first time since the Saturn/N64 that a new home console has laucned in the spring-summer months. It's going to have a long drought until the next holiday season. Nintendo would be going against the standard retail buying cycle. 3DS launch the sequel?

btkadams

neptunes said:
If this really does launch next march (which I really think it won't) it'll be this first time since the Saturn/N64 that a new home console has laucned in the spring-summer months. It's going to have a long drought until the next holiday season. Nintendo would be going against the standard retail buying cycle. 3DS launch the sequel?
ps3 came out in eu in the spring.

edit: but i guess you prob mean initial launch.

apana

neptunes said:

Drought of games? This thing is gonna be port central for the first year.

I dont know what you would use a screen on a controller for, other than menu maps and such. But in regards to that screen some people are saying that its a mimicked just like the wiimote. And then you have the rumors that say it will be a notch above the 360 which will seemingly put Nintendo in the same position as this generation. But my thing is the wii mote wasnt really a success they talk about how they have entered the mainstream, and how the average consumer loves thier product, but that doesnt mean they want another one. The people that made the wii a success doesn't care about a wii 2, hell they probably didnt buy another game after wii sports. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Nintendo thinks they reached critical success, but in reality it was only a love affair.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ShockingAlberto said:
DQ has been released after a successor system has come out before. Even if that were true, it wouldn't be something new.
Dragon Quest 7 to name names, and it was the PS1 best selling game (I forget if that was in Japan or world wide though)

Pocks

neptunes said:

I don't think Nintendo would have a problem with having the best-selling home console launch ever. Of course, they'd have to keep the momentum going with a solid lineup of titles unlike the 3DS, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Financially speaking, they would have a very strong fiscal year if they focused this holiday season on the 3DS and Wii bundles at $150, and then finished the fiscal year off with the release of a new console.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Woffls said:
So, it will use the front facing camera to determine where your eyes are, and change the display based on that to show 3D?

Maybe something like this.

mysteriousmage09 said:
If true...God damnit Ubisoft......

We need new consoles so we can port everythi.....so we can be creative! ya!

It's cheaper to port games so can we really blame them?
Hell yes!

M74

Dissonance said:
It even caused Nibris to go under.
Were they ever "above"?

On point: Headtracking could almost certainly be done. I wouldn't be surprised to see it and I hope they make it work. It would be an interesting thing to see, especially in FPS games. But when people start talking about holograms, forget trying to sort out what's real and what's bull.

Woffls

neptunes said:
The launch titles would sustain summer demand, and hopefully it'll get a bunch of multiplatform games in the fall. Not to mention all the ports. I should also imagine there's lots of Nintendo's internal studios unaccounted for, so they'll probably be working on N6 titles?

And yeah, PS3 EU launch was March 23rd 07 iirc.

Doorman

neptunes said:
Eh...the 3DS launch had more going against it than just the March release though. Price, relatively poor launch game lineup, potential brand dilution and an apparent failure to market it as a true "new generation" device. The addition of HD and a new type of controller already guarantee that the generally-uninformed will have a much harder time writing Cafe off as simply another marginal upgrade. Toss in Mario or Pikmin HD, some good-quality ports of current HD games and maybe one or two new efforts from some known third parties, and it could build up at worst a modest lead before the big holiday boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom