• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reliable Leaker Leaks Nintendo Switch 2 Potential Price and Launch Date

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Ahh, this could be interesting. A dual screen Switch could work as a successor to the DS line, as well as allowing for software ports and updates. It would also justify a higher retail price. And Nintendo has never been known to rest on their laurels, but endlessly innovate and tinker.

Nintendo probably wouldn’t announce Switxh 2 before Christmas, as that would kill sales of current consoles and games. They’re too smart for that. If Switch 2 releases next April, that gives Big N enough time to make their public announcements and roll out the PR for the new system.

If there are two SKUs, I would have to guess one would be the purely portable “lite” model, and if it features dual screens, could easily pass as the third DS handheld. Hey, maybe they’ll add in the 3D just to troll everyone? Hah.

Hookshot

Gold Member
My leaker who correctly told me the names of the PlayStations 3, 4 and 5 in advance said it's likely to be properly announced sometime this year, maybe as early as tomorrow but up to December 31st. It's going to cost over $250 and come out sometime in 2025.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Dual screens? I'm assuming it's not a hybrid anymore then, right? Big mistake. I hope that's incorrect.

tkscz

The Wii U was more powerful than the PS3, but less powerful than the PS4.
The Switch was more powerful than the PS3, but less powerful than the PS4.

The Switch 2 better be as powerful as the PS4. Otherwise, why bother?
If the specs leaks are true, in raw numbers, the Switch2's GPU would only need to run at 600Mhz to equal the PS4. Last numbers we saw from a leak was 700MHz in handheld mode. Always grain of salt though.

Codes 208

If the specs leaks are true, in raw numbers, the Switch2's GPU would only need to run at 600Mhz to equal the PS4. Last numbers we saw from a leak was 700MHz in handheld mode. Always grain of salt though.
we’re potentially looking at the ampere 2-4tflops.

which puts the Switch 2 somewhere between the steam deck and rog ally. Even if those specs arent impressive compared to the ps5/pro, low-balling it would still make it around 5x faster than the og switch. Which makes it around as much of a leap as going from the ps4 to a ps5

tkscz

which puts the Switch 2 somewhere between the steam deck and rog ally. Even if those specs arent impressive compared to the ps5/pro, low-balling it would still make it around 5x faster than the og switch. Which makes it around as much of a leap as going from the ps4 to a ps5
Running at 700Mhz would put it at 2.2Tflops so that checks out. Plus running on Ampere comes with it's own advantages. Having RT cores and Tensor cores being two of them.

sachos

For the love of God please no dual screen, that seems like such a waste. Plus how would you even adapt a game that uses it for home console TV use? Seems weird and cumbersome. Better use the money of the second screen to upgrade to OLED main screen in that case.

No. I hope you're right about this anti tech movement thing. Got any good sources for that?
Let’s break this down into separate posts. First the gaming.

For the handhelds. There is already rumors from Sony of a ps4 powered PSP3 in development. Which would line up with today’s Swithc 2 rumors in terms of power. You can google the info.

Microsoft, fired aka “laid off” some of the hardware design team. And turned future Xbox portable hardware design over to the MS Surface team. You can look this up as well. There are post debunking this, i have read it was true for the handhelds prototype. OR, imo, If they could integrate an Xbox hardware into a Surface Pro for kids/young adults. People from 13 to 30 year old would likely be interested in a surface laptop that had a Xbox hardware built into it.

I don’t know if it is true. All these insiders really don’t know a ton. You see stuff on both sides. Similar to Fox News and CNN. I do think it make sense to give Xbox hardware handheld division to Surface team and see what they come up with.

Either way, we are more than half way thru the ps5 generation. The Xbox series will not even sell as well as the Xbox one and it is increasingly unlikely the ps5 does not break 100 million units.

A blow to both companies, to be sure. A bigger blow to Sony, cause MS windows prints money worldwide. Even though it is clearly losing a ton on Xbox brand.

Sony and MS will likely pivot to get dev cost and development time down. They could push for portable tech that would allow for many older ports to be brought forward in a new way and repackaged & resold.

If you believe Switch 2 will be a big success, Sony and Xbox as well as Steam deck could hitch their wagon to the Switch style device and try to reap the benefits.

Now the question is. What do young people want. Console gamers are historically older now. I believe I read the average age of a ps5 owner is in their low 30’s. (Which means, there is as many people in their 40’s owning ps5 as people in their 20’s.) this is a staggering blow for Sony. Young people are not buying their products. Why are they not buying ps5/Xbox?

Do these kids like pc gaming? PS5 price?
Are most young people mobile gaming?

Is the overall core gaming pie shrinking in size?

Seems to me that kids and everyone like individual devices these days. Your phone, tablet, laptop, watch, etc.

The Nintendo Switch reminds me of this, and I feel Sony and Xbox have noticed.

Make no mistake you and I are aging out of gaming. These companies know this and they must find a way to get the younger audience engaged in console gaming. Maybe this is the first step towards doing that?!

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

3DS feature

Happy Hugh Jackman GIF

BlackTron

lol guys the dual screen thing was so bogus. I saw that thread early this morning and thought we were past all that. Those mockups were so fake. The other leak just being a normal Switch tablet is very collaborated and believable at this point. Also, even if everything that came out today is completely wrong (doubt), I still don't think Nintendo is dumb enough to do it. A dual-screen Switch would require docked mode to put one screen in your hands, and they already learned, the hard way, this doesn't work. Believe me, they're so averse to doing that they would laugh or boot out the guy from the office.

The only reason people are giving the dual screen variant any credence is because Nintendo is crazy enough to do it. That said, Furukawa and the current board has a much different approach and I don't see them going this route.

Hawk The Slayer

Neo Member
400 is a fair price.

I'm not into duel screens but I don't use handhelds anyway so I'll be on the monitor if I do get the console. I'm just waiting to see their AAA SWITCH 2 Legend of Zelda game before I decide to buy it or not.

Emedan

I'll eat a rotten asshole if there's dual screens, it does not work if the device is a hybrid. Sounds like nonsens to me.

Hero_Select

its also nice to see the 12 gigs of ram. The switch had 4 gigs and a lot of games were hampered by it.

I'm really excited to see what Nintendo will do with their games on it

The leak about the dual screen was shared in a Taiwan Economic Daily News on 16 Sep. It's all specualation and rumor at this point. We will know more about it in a few weeks when Nintendo is expected to reveal the new console with most likey new game bundles.

Source: https://money.udn.com/money/story/5710/8229942

From the Taiwan Economic Daily news report (MACHINE TRANSLATED)

Market speculation is that the Switch 2 screen is likely to be enlarged again and have a dual-screen design. The battery life of the game console itself will also be increased. At the same time, the screen processing and performance will also be improved simultaneously. Some AI functions may even be added. The terminal price is estimated to be about US$400 ( Approximately NT$12,781), which is about 30% higher than the US$299 price of the original Switch, and slightly higher than the US$349 price of the OLED version of Switch..

Last edited:
Any word of whether it will be fully backwards compatible? It not, I'm going portable PC. If yes, probably will get this. 400 shekels is pretty compelling
As per a rumor on Nintendo Life, Switch 2 will be fully backward compatible with digital and also physical Switch games.
It certainly seems like a great value proposition, and a silver lining for us gamers after the dark clouds left behind by the annoucement of Sony's underwhelming and overpriced PS Pro.

Source: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ackward-compatible-with-a-larger-1080p-screen

According to Mobapad's blog post, the Switch's successor will be a "conservative evolution" of the current models; more akin to a "refined Pro model". As previously rumoured, the system's screen will indeed be larger and support 1080p resolution (the current Switch consoles max out at 720p), while the new larger Joy-Con controllers will adopt an 'electromagnetic suction docking structure' controlled by electric current.
What will no doubt come as good news is that the new console is said to be fully backward compatible with both digital and physical Switch games, with a cartridge slot that will allow for the insertion of current Switch carts. Not only that, but Switch Joy-Con controllers and Pro Controllers are also said to work just fine (though it's likely the Joy-Cons will only work remotely given the new magnetic structure).

Last edited:
Top Bottom