• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reliable Leaker Leaks Nintendo Switch 2 Potential Price and Launch Date

Dorfdad

Gold Member
What nonsense is this? Dual screen switch 2 would last 45 mins. 7-8 inch screens would also be way to big for a kids handheld. I call BS on this wild rumor

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Dual screens? That cools my enthusiasm quite a bit.
How would it work? Would completely undermine the whole docking aspect of the switch ?

I would call BS but Nintendo gonna Nintendo so it is somewhat feasible

Normally the route to follow would be a switch follow up significantly more powerful than the predecessor with maybe DLSS to give it an extra boost.

But this is Nintendo something will be added. Maybe something we never knew we needed. Also being Nintendo. Odds are it will not do as well as the Switch.

But if the price is attractive it should do well.

Still in excited to See the Switch is up there as one of my favourite Nintendo Consoles.

Last edited:
Just trying to think more objectively about this, but there wont be a performance difference if the new handheld is launching at 400.00. I dont think Nintendo is absolved from the rising prices of silicon. A dual screen handheld at 400.00$ when the Switch already has a low performance threshold? The Steamdeck and other handhelds at 700-800.00$ price points only get up to 30fps/720-1080.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
OLED model please. I don't want to go back to a trash display.

Dual screens I hope is not true. I want a good portable hybrid console like the Switch, not a new gimmick device. One large screen please.

Last edited:
Bring the thing up to PS4 levels performance, then right away cripple that performance envelope by tacking on a second monitor. Sounds absolutely like Nintendo, I believe it.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Dual screen for a device as big as Switch? Looks cumbersome

Nintendo fans after one year:

fcQstA0.jpeg

It won't be as powerful as PS4, but getting "adult games" as you described depends largely on how much power gap between Switch 2 and PS5.

Although lines has blurred alot powerwise and not as clear as previous gens, this might play in favor of Nintendo this time.

I wonder if this is one reason why Jedi Survivor is getting previous-gen versions. As a way to learn to port to Switch 2.

I prefer screens easier on my eyes and I wasn't a fan of OLED's flickering to control brightness. So when it was time to get a new Switch I ended up with a normal one. Given they have the same power and work the same connected to a TV I missed little but (literal) headaches.

I was afraid of that when I bought my Pixel 6A with oled as I had read many experiences of headaches from oled screens in dimmer settings. Luckily I don't seem to be sensitive as I have my phone very dimmed most of the time. Hopefully that's not an issue with Switch 2.

Why the fuck do some people even bring their Xbox/PS console war bullshit into a thread about Switch prices? Disgusting.

*me often commenting in Astro Bot threads how Mario games are still better:*
Yeah, jerks! Keep that stuff out of here! :messenger_angry:

Duel screens? What! I hope leaker is wrong on this one. As for the price, you don't need to be a leaker to guess that.

We'll neeed to be en garde for future news.

Dual Screen handheld device doesn't seem like it would work with playing on TV.

Unless it can stream wirelessly to the TV so that you can have your Switch in your hands while playing. Far-fetched though.

cireza

Gold Member
Unless it can stream wirelessly to the TV so that you can have your Switch in your hands while playing. Far-fetched though.
You would lose the benefit of better power on the dock. So I doubt this. A 400$ handheld device having to stream to the TV 1080p/4K + its own screen ?

Perhaps they don't see much worth going trying to close up as much as possible in graphics and oled that some core gamers would want or expect. Nintendo will likely focus on wider appeal and sacrifice some graphical performance. I wouldn't want to bet against Nintendo and maybe the jump in power they have is enough to tempt ports of other games anyway.

Trilobit

You would lose the benefit of better power on the dock. So I doubt this. A 400$ handheld device having to stream to the TV 1080p/4K + its own screen ?

I was mostly thinking about previous rumors that've been circulating like this one:

But, yeah, it seems very implausible unless it's just for a select few games.

I will be preordering this day 1. My OG switch finally kicked the bucket two days ago after serving me well for more than 7 years. I have no other way of accessing my sizeable Nintendo library. Hopefully, the BC is fully fleshed-out with some kind of boost. In particular, games like XC, XC2 and XC3 that have dynamic res should run at 1080p docked.
Steamdeck starts at $349, so entirely possible that the next Switch could be similar performance to the Steamdeck, which is not a million miles away from PS4 - which people seem to think is an appropriate comparison.
The Steamdeck is capable of playing MH Rise (one of the most technically advanced Switch games) at 720p 60 fps, I hope the Switch 2 provides similar boost in BC mode.

Last edited:
The most fascinating thing to me is people here "hoping" for an OLED screen like its a marvelous thing to get in 2025!

Nintendo has conditioned these poor souls to a very low standard 🤣

After Switch Oled it should be fucking mandatory to have an Oled screen it was so superior to the standard screen it wasn't funny...i always trade my systems in but will be forced to keep my Switch oled in this case...2d games and pixel art games look soooo much better.

Dr.D00p

Is a console that relies heavily on DLSS resolution upscaling to make its games look as good as a PS4, really as powerful as a PS4?

Is a 2021 vintage Tegra 239 SoC more powerful than a 2012 vintage PS4 Jaguar SoC at ultra low wattage?

Astray

Dual Screen doesn't make much sense to me because what are you going to do when the system is docked? Just show one screen? Kinda loses the appeal of dual screen imo.

$400 MSRP would probably beat my previous estimate of $450.

Haint

Not a single use of the DS/3DS second screen was compelling enough to warrant the cost and power drain on a modern handheld. Not even close. This would be an even dumber misstep and unforced error than Wii U. Bring back a fucking modern tech Wiimote if they want to revive past hardware.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I'm day one on this and haven't purchased a Nintendo product since GBA.

But I'll pass if it has dual screens, just as I passed on the DS.

I would have bought a Switch Pro had they released one and that's really all I need out of this. Something that can upscale Zelda to 4K.

I doubt Nintendo can please everyone with their announcement.

A base model at 400 and a more expensive model at 500 dollars might be a bridge too far, depending on the difference in the models. If the 400 dollar model is the Lite (handheld model) and 500 for the hybrid-console, I'm thinking Nintendo is in trouble, unless the console-hybrid model is more powerful than a PS5 (with AI upscaling) while docked.

I just struggle to see where this thing is going to land.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nintendo fans after one year:

fcQstA0.jpeg

I wonder if this is one reason why Jedi Survivor is getting previous-gen versions. As a way to learn to port to Switch 2.

I was afraid of that when I bought my Pixel 6A with oled as I had read many experiences of headaches from oled screens in dimmer settings. Luckily I don't seem to be sensitive as I have my phone very dimmed most of the time. Hopefully that's not an issue with Switch 2.

*me often commenting in Astro Bot threads how Mario games are still better:*
Yeah, jerks! Keep that stuff out of here! :messenger_angry:

We'll neeed to be en garde for future news.

That will screw with BC wouldn't it?

Sw0pDiller

I am very interested in the switch 2. I skipped the switch because i still play my wii U now and then and i just can't really devide my gaming time between two consoles. My kids are growing up and they talk about some switch games sometimes and i feel i missed out on some late gen nintendo-gems (but mostly play roblox on phone) 400 euro sounds like a nintendo-like price for a handheld only device and ps4 level graphics in the palm of your hand might be really nice. 500 is allready a lot more expensive and is moving into PS5 territory. And it wont b able to keep up with ps5 performance at all.

Nintendo knows the switch is aimed for the masses and they priced and specced it accordingly. 500 euro might be pushing it.

AlterSchwede

Neo Member
Maybe dualscreen like in: you play on the TV and see something else on the switch display
Like an advanced version of the dreamcast controller if you like.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
After Switch Oled it should be fucking mandatory to have an Oled screen it was so superior to the standard screen it wasn't funny...i always trade my systems in but will be forced to keep my Switch oled in this case...2d games and pixel art games look soooo much better.

I kinda disagree with you a little bit on this. Oled shouldn't be mandatory at all, whats being mandatory is supplying Switch 2 with a "high quality" LCD or LED or OLED or whatever .. it has to be good, not the trash they put in the early model Switch.

PsPortal btw has a fantastic LCD screen. I wouldn't mind at all Switch 2 going that route

Top Bottom