• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Discomurf said:
sure... here is version 2 ;)

anemhu.jpg
If you could separate the handle parts from the screen this would be the perfect two handed controller for hardcore games, while retaining pointer functionality.
Pointer is a must, and it wouldn't be very 'Nintendo' to force people to swivel around a two handed controller, E3 06 Warhawk demo style, to use it.
So a modular controller seems likely.
beelzebozo said:
now, even metroid needs saving, which is another to add to the list. and as others have noted, it's kind of hard to imagine who's going to do the saving.
Metroid on a controller as described above would be perfect. Imagine a third person/isometric Metroid game like Other M, but as Team Ninja originally proposed it, with control stick for movement and pointer shooting. You also have access to a camera control stick if the auto camera isn't working at any point.

Why are most people ignoring the comment from the Ubisoft employee about motion control which is better than Move? You really think Nintendo is going to ditch the pointer all together? Makes zero sense

I think more likely it's just hardcore GAF wishful thinking...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what if there was a set of pedals in place of buttons which attached to the screen, allowing complex manipulation of small switches with the ambipedal toes of players?

project cafeet

Drkirby said:
Maybe someone got cm and Inches mixed up, and it is a 6 cm screen. If it has a 6 inch Diagonal it just sounds like the screen would be to large.
This may be one of the more brilliant things that I've heard all day. A 2.36 inch screen would make much more sense on a controller than a 6".

Discomurf said:
sure... here is version 2 ;)

anemhu.jpg
I see it being SOMETHING like this but with it being 3 parts.

2 Parts will be the sides and the 3rd would be the screen.

That way the 2 side pars could be duel wiimote+s for motion games.

Kevin

Forgive me if I am missing some point here but why exactly does everyone think that this screen display means a big funky controller with a display used to play games on it? I mean do we all really think that Nintendo is going to replace waggle with this as the primary controller?

My assumption is that the controller will be an improved motion controller design with some new features (small display maybe for stuff like inventory, map, etc). No one is going to be waving this giant controller around in the air doing motions.

Unless I'm missing something here... feel free to correct me! :p

Kevin said:
Forgive me if I am missing some point here but why exactly does everyone think that this screen display means a big funky controller with a display used to play games on it? I mean do we all really think that Nintendo is going to replace waggle with this as the primary controller?

My assumption is that the controller will be an improved motion controller design with some new features (small display maybe for stuff like inventory, map, etc). No one is going to be waving this giant controller around in the air doing motions.

you try doing a mock up of a 6inch screen on a wii remote type thing. if we didnt have news of a 6 inch screen reported by many sites we could simply think of a wii remote with a screen somewhere on it. or for that matter reports of dual sticks and two bumpers and triggers.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Black-Wind said:

That just got me thinking...dual Wiimotes with pointer control for the dual wielding in shooters.
Yeeeeeeaaaah booooi
Instant best Dudebro console

plex

BMF said:
This may be one of the more brilliant things that I've heard all day. A 2.36 inch screen would make much more sense on a controller than a 6".
But screens are measured in inch. Everywhere. How could someone mix that up?

Black-Wind said:

3 parts is way too complicated for any controller, and certainly one from Nintendo. They may be trying to get the hardcore back, but they are not going to abandon casuals. This is a GAF delusion.

It'll have to be 2 parts, with the screen being attached to one.

Just my 2 cents...

Kevin said:

Pretty much... anyone thinking a traditional controller is going to be replacing the Wii-mote is on the wrong track.

Cafe is supposed to be compatible with Wii games... how will that be possible when the controller doesn't allow for Wii like gaming?

Kevin said:

I suspect that there are two controllers for this. One that's like a classic controller pro with a little touchscreen on it, and another that's a wiimote/nunchuk combo. Maybe with rumble in the chuk this time.

Kevin

DoomXploder7 said:
you try doing a mock up of a 6inch screen on a wii remote type thing. if we didnt have news of a 6 inch screen reported by many sites we could simply think of a wii remote with a screen somewhere on it. or for that matter reports of dual sticks and two bumpers and triggers.

I get that it's difficult to come up with a design idea for this "six inch screen" think but it just doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I will just have to wait and see what Nintendo does. I just can't see how a controller with a six inch screen built in could also be used for motion controls and swinging around.

UltimaPooh said:
Pretty much... anyone thinking a traditional controller is going to be replacing the Wii-mote is on the wrong track.

Cafe is supposed to be compatible with Wii games... how will that be possible when the controller doesn't allow for Wii like gaming?

how does gamecube gaming work on wii?

antonz

Should be about 3 and a half hours until the french go to work and we get called out for mistranslating something while Half the media continues to report bogus shit not actually on their site ;)

Instro

Kevin said:

Well theres really no way to fit all the stuff rumored for the controller onto something thats designed like the current Wiimote. Honestly Im thinking the system will ship with two different controllers, one with the Dual analogs and screen, and one designed like a wii mote.

Either that or its some sort of crazy modular controller...or the info we have is wrong.

Fourth Storm said:
3 parts is way too complicated for any controller, and certainly one from Nintendo. They may be trying to get the hardcore back, but they are not going to abandon casuals. This is a GAF delusion.

It'll have to be 2 parts, with the screen being attached to one.

Just my 2 cents...

personally i'm in the "they're gonna support two controllers camp" .

Kevin

BMF said:
I suspect that there are two controllers for this. One that's like a classic controller pro with a little touchscreen on it, and another that's a wiimote/nunchuk combo. Maybe with rumble in the chuk this time.

This is probably the only half logical thing I could come up with as well. Still, what would be the purpose? If it's not used for all Wii games then that means it likely won't be for stuff like Zelda and Mario and feature things like inventory, maps, etc on the screen. I guess it could stream VC games onto it but even then, what would that really serve? What would be the big deal? I'd just rather play those on the normal tv screen anyways.

Instro said:
Well theres really no way to fit all the stuff rumored for the controller onto something thats designed like the current Wiimote. Honestly Im thinking the system will ship with two different controllers, one with the Dual analogs and screen, and one designed like a wii mote.

Either that or its some sort of crazy modular controller...or the info we have is wrong.
Wiimote/Nunchuk is about as complicated as it's allowed to get. Even that's too much for some people.

AniHawk

Kevin said:
This is probably the only half logical thing I could come up with as well. Still, what would be the purpose? If it's not used for all Wii games then that means it likely won't be for stuff like Zelda and Mario and feature things like inventory, maps, etc on the screen. I guess it could stream VC games onto it but even then, what would that really serve? What would be the big deal? I'd just rather play those on the normal tv screen anyways.

16 player local mario kart without splitscreen.

plex said:
Wow, I love the style!
But maybe you could at least add some triggers?
Edit: and shoulder buttons of course!

Thanks, I'm doing my best. :)

Two analog triggers (and two optional digital shoulder buttons) are integrated in the back of the device combined with the vitality sensor (= basically infrared LEDs and photosensors).

Woffls

I think I'm still in the modular controller camp. There's no way we will be waving screens around, and im reluctant to believe that Nintendo will force us to hold a screen when were not using it.

I don't think modular controllers is too complicated for anyone.

Kevin said:

they could emphasize there being two ways to play and at least make sure both are equally supported, or make both mandatory (though that can't possible go down well with third parties ) in developing a game.though certain games would be exempted from having to have both control schemes.

watershed

Banned
Discomurf said:
^^ see Version 2 ;)
Yeah I see it now, I'm still catching up on this thread. So with the right side click wheel thing, is that positioned similar to where the z button was on the gamecube controller? And so the triggers would be under them? Overall it looks great, but like others have said I too would prefer real analogs to the slide pads. Great work :)

Discomurf

UltimaPooh said:

couldn't Wii remotes (perhaps updated) just be compatible?

Is it sad, that most of the mockups will end up looking better than the actual controller will. And most of the speculated specifications will probably end up being far better than what Nintendo opts to use in the end.

Atleast that's how it worked out for the Wii.

Doorman

Instro said:

At this point, this seems more than likely. On one hand I want to say I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would launch a new system with two or even three separate controllers...but at the same time the Wii did start out with the remote, nunchuk, and classic controller all out of the gate. I don't think the inclusion of the classic really helped them out all that much as far as picking up increased third party support with traditional games, though. Are they really going to try to succeed this time with a strategy that went over fairly "meh" the first time around?

Kevin said:
To consolidate the two types of gaming. The screen is an interesting something. I can't say for sure, but I think that it may be there for 3/DS compatibility. It's the only thing that makes real sense to me. Do emulation in software and put in a $0.50 cartridge slot.

It also suggests the idea of doing big screen 3/DS gaming using a 3DS as your second screen and a spare controller.

This is all crazy speculation, but it makes sense to me.

Discomurf said:
couldn't Wii remotes (perhaps updated) just be compatible?

Someone already pointed that out to me.

and they wouldn't have to be updated you would just use them like you did with Gamecube controllers on the Wii.

Stephen Colbert said:
Is it sad, that most of the mockups will end up looking better than the actual controller will. And most of the speculated specifications will probably end up being far better than what Nintendo opts to use in the end.

Atleast that's how it worked out for the Wii.

Because fans think completely about form, and little about function.
It's easy to make something that looks good.
It's much harder to make something that looks good and actually is good to use.

Discomurf

artwalknoon said:
Yeah I see it now, I'm still catching up on this thread. So with the right side click wheel thing, is that positioned similar to where the z button was on the gamecube controller? And so the triggers would be under them? Overall it looks great, but like others have said I too would prefer real analogs to the slide pads. Great work :)

Thanks... yeah pretty much where the z button was on the gamecube controller... I love the idea of scrolling through items with a wheel and perhaps button press (much like a mouse).

Triggers would be underneath, also 2 speakers on the front... I noticed many of the mockups were missing the speaker, something that will almost certainly be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom