• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black-Wind said:
How?
The Wii has 2 parts for normal use and 3 parts for the added M+.

You have a point, but M+ was a later addition. Also, once it's on, you can pretty much leave it there, unless you're using the wheel or something.

I just don't see a 3 part controller being standard out of the gate. I could be wrong.

Zeal said:
what is this, an art sculpture from beetlejuice.

oh wait, nevermind, i get it. penis pump of the future. you start with blue, and green is your final goal, right.
And now the meaning of Wii is finally realized with Wii Plus.

Log4Girlz

AceBandage said:
And here's where the topic gets locked.
:p

Ok back on topic. I really am afraid that if the controller is really complex that it will eat away their budget for the console itself. So far, I can't imagine it being something cheap. 6 inch screen with buttons, acting as a screen...sounds like an NGP, and guaranteed the 3DS could act as a controller and allow 3D display of the graphics.

apana

Log4Girlz said:
Ok back on topic. I really am afraid that if the controller is really complex that it will eat away their budget for the console itself. So far, I can't imagine it being something cheap. 6 inch screen with buttons, acting as a screen...sounds like an NGP, and guaranteed the 3DS could act as a controller and allow 3D display of the graphics.

If it's just streaming games and there is no haptic feedback, bio-membranes, or holographic technology then it shouldn't cost all that much or be very complicated. It will look strange tho.

Sharp Viewcam

My thirst for crazy has grown along with the 10000 posts.

I base this on the value I see in making the screen also stand alone for co-op or vs. out of the box. I don't see much value for 1P games with what we know now. *Probably easier to include a Remote and chuck as well but that is giving away $40 of sales*

Like the camcorder but the thing on the side is detachable. New remote and chuck can hook on to the sides of the screen to become the Dual Analog 8 button standard. 2 face buttons on the remote plus triggers on both like now.
Screen has a D-Pad and Analog in opposite corners, other corners get 2 buttons. 4 corners all get a shoulder button. Rotate how you hold to have the pad or stick on the left thumb depending on game.

Andrex said:
So why has the rumor swung back to this thing using AMD Trinity? And is it a good GPU?

I would like to know this as well. The impression I got is that it's because the CPU is rumored to have three cores.

Doorman

apana said:
If it's just streaming games and there is no haptic feedback, bio-membranes, or holographic technology then it shouldn't cost all that much or be very complicated. It will look strange tho.
If the controller has a screen on it...I have to imagine that there's more function to this controller than just having a second small screen on it for HUD data and the like. That seems to take the thought of working with the DS' success a little too literally and their main "gimmick" for the console cannot be "Hey look, now you can do at home what you could do anywhere back in 2005!" If it's not haptic feedback or biosensors or anything like that...well...it has to be something.

Andrex said:
So why has the rumor swung back to this thing using AMD Trinity? And is it a good GPU?

The Trinity would be an excellent CPU/GPU combo, but it's impossible to say Nintendo would be using this thing.

apana

Doorman said:
If the controller has a screen on it...I have to imagine that there's more function to this controller than just having a second small screen on it for HUD data and the like. That seems to take the thought of working with the DS' success a little too literally and their main "gimmick" for the console cannot be "Hey look, now you can do at home what you could do anywhere back in 2005!" If it's not haptic feedback or biosensors or anything like that...well...it has to be something.

The touchscreen can see into your soul and trap it so you will forever be a slave to the Nintengods.

edit: Nintengods+Cats

Andrex said:

Has it? I dunno, Brain Stew makes a good case for Trinity, but with PPC cores instead of x86. I think it makes alot of sense for BC and multiplatform development. The GPU is damn good from what little I hear.

I'd like to see 2 GB of RAM, but 1 GB I would hope for a bare minimum.

Instro

Andrex said:

Someone in the know posted on GAF some time ago about the Trinity being used in a console that would come out in 2012. Or something like that.

Zeal

Banned
would anyone mind explaining the potential benefits of AMD's Trinity line? As far as I understand it, the family is supposed to use significantly less power while also providing very impressive integrated graphic processing...?

Based on what I've read, the architecture doesn't sound mature enough to be ready for Wii2.

antonz

Zeal said:
would anyone mind explaining the potential benefits of AMD's Trinity line? As far as I understand it, the family is supposed to use significantly less power while also providing very impressive integrated graphic processing...?

Based on what I've read, the architecture doesn't sound mature enough to be ready for Wii2.
The concept behind Trinity isnt new. All new Intel Chips in the Sandy Bridge line use the idea for instance. The 360 Slims chips were combined in such a fashion as well. Trinity is intended to replace Llano for AMD. Trinity is going to be good for power consumption and have a decent GPu which would be a significant leap over this gens machines

Zeal said:

I thought Trinity was the glue between an AMD CPU and some Northern Island GPU Cores.

Zeal

Banned
so pretty much what we are seeing in the near future are CPU and GPU's being combined to create a new all-in-one standard, more or less, right? I think I read about this being Nvidia's next major leap in design.

cool beans.

watershed

Banned
Thinking about the name for the N6 I hope they lose the Wii branding. I know its extremely popular and easily understood but so is the DS name and with the 3ds there really are people who think its just another DS model. I could see the same thing happening if this thing was the Wii Plus or something. Even if the innovation/new feature were completely different people would think of it as an optional upgrade and not a whole new console. Let's go Nintendo Hi-Fi!

Pocks

Zeal said:
so pretty much what we are seeing in the near future are CPU and GPU's being combined to create a new all-in-one standard, more or less, right? I think I read about this being Nvidia's next major leap in design.

cool beans.

Yeah, for mainstream and mobile platforms.

Doorman

The name should be an interesting tightrope walk for them. The Wii name is well known around the world now and launched their products into places that Nintendo's never been before, but at the same time if these words about wanting to appease the hardcore market are to be believed, sticking to "Wii" might be at least a little bit of a deterrent. Not even necessarily that the name is bad but that it's established a certain reputation that it's not the place for serious "gamers' games."

I wonder if they might maintain the Wii name for their nongamer software, but call the machine itself something completely new? At least that's the best way I've thought of to reconcile both viewpoints.

The Wii name is too tainted to be useful anymore.
It's associated with too many bad games from third parties.

They really should just call it Nintendo.

AMD roadmap FYR. But I really doubt Nintendo will use x86 CPU.
WNmdn.jpg

AceBandage said:

I'd totally buy a Nintendo HD. Then whatever happens after it could be a Super Nintendo HD! And we all know that Sony and Microsoft have no hope against a name that awesome.

Touch

AceBandage said:

Though, it's also so well known. "Wii" has become a huge name that millions upon millions recognize from all age groups.

I see them either calling it Super Wii or something with "Wii" in the name or like you mentioned just "Nintendo". Launching a new name just doesn't feel right.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
wonderfuldays said:
AMD roadmap FYR. But I really doubt Nintendo will use x86 CPU.
WNmdn.jpg

Hrm interesting. And if it uses PowerPC I imagine they'll also just go ahead and make it OpenGL compatible too. If it is, then can we expect OpenGL 4? 3? I would hate to see it using 2.x.

AceBandage said:

:/

I'm a little torn on this. The Wii branding is still strong, and it's only tainted for the core gamer.

Holding on to the name would be a very strong thing to do to keep the recognition that they have with the casuals.

That said, Nintendo hasn't repeated a home console name since the Super Nintendo, but have repeatedly held on to names for their handheld offerings.

All of that said, I think that they're going to hold on to the Wii name (or just the branding Blue on White with the bowing and all that) unless they can think of something better.

It WiiHD is not a bad way to go. Super Wii is. It's going to be a wait and see thing.

They may just call it Wii, but say it's generation 2 like Apple does for it's devices.

If they are in fact doing the touch screen on the controller, it could be the Wii Touch - that would be rather great branding.

EDIT: Turning this into a separate thread. It's worth it's own discussion:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427702

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
From The Dust said:
The 3DS is OpenCL with some fixed functions right? They will do the same here

I heard it uses OpenGL or OpenCL, and yeah with a lot of fixed functions built in. I wonder if they'll use programmable shaders with this thing, but I doubt it from Iwata's recent comments about the 3DS.

BowieZ

Banned
apana said:
I think "ohhhhhh nooooo, WTF is that? Nintendoooomed" is inevitable at beginning.
I just don't see much that can be done with just a touchscreen in terms of exciting consumers. Maybe there is some new tech in there but if it's just a classic controller with a six inch touch screen in the middle I think it's a big mistake.
That's why you aren't working for Nintendo's R&D or marketing departments.

Log4Girlz

BMF said:

I'm a little torn on this. The Wii branding is still strong, and it's only tainted for the core gamer.

Holding on to the name would be a very strong thing to do to keep the recognition that they have with the casuals.

That said, Nintendo hasn't repeated a home console name since the Super Nintendo, but have repeatedly held on to names for their handheld offerings.

All of that said, I think that they're going to hold on to the Wii name (or just the branding Blue on White with the bowing and all that) unless they can think of something better.

It WiiHD is not a bad way to go. Super Wii is. It's going to be a wait and see thing.

They may just call it Wii, but say it's generation 2 like Apple does for it's devices.

If they are in fact doing the touch screen on the controller, it could be the Wii Touch - that would be rather great branding.

I've always liked the sound of WiiHD. Simple, concise, explanatory. And hilariously, if they get ports from current gen games, shit just slap the HD label on them. Bulletstorm HD, CODBLOPS HD (put a sticker on the bottom corner, now in HD resolution!).

antonz

Andrex said:
I heard it uses OpenGL or OpenCL, and yeah with a lot of fixed functions built in. I wonder if they'll use programmable shaders with this thing, but I doubt it from Iwata's recent comments about the 3DS.
I dont think they have a choice unless they make some crazy frankenstein gpu. The 3DS worked out for them because PICA was advanced enough that they could jump from Tegra over and get most of the same shaders etc while much lower power consumption

Log4Girlz said:
I've always liked the sound of WiiHD. Simple, concise, explanatory. And hilariously, if they get ports from current gen games, shit just slap the HD label on them. Bulletstorm HD, CODBLOPS HD (put a sticker on the bottom corner, now in HD resolution!).
They will never name their machine weed :p

Zeal

Banned
i think nintendo will definitely drop the Wii name to signify a complete change in direction and design philosophy. this is a good thing.

watershed

Banned
BMF said:

I have nothing against the wii name even tho its scorned by gamers. My problem is that people won't feel like its a new console but rather just an upgrade on the wii. Look at the 3ds, there are a lot of people who think its a new ds and therefore value it less or don't see the value proposition of a $250 new model. This new system will cost $250 minimum and I think a lot of people won't get it if they think its just an add on or upgrade.

A new name is needed to differentiate and to mark a new beginning. Besides the Nintendo brand is one of the world's most recognized, they don't need to reuse the Wii moniker.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I could see them maybe doing Super Wii. I think Wii HD just gives the impression it can only output HD over the Wii, and it's not a big bump.

Pyrokai

I'm wondering about whether the system can sell itself to the hardcore market if all it receives are 360 ports with the Cafe enhancements, however ground-breaking they may be. Couple that with a looming PS4 and 720, and we may have another Dreamcast here. What do you think? Do you think they can differentiate themselves from the competition in a way that also coaxes over the hardcore market they lost with Wii?

Andrex said:

It will almost definitely use programmable shaders if it's going to compete. Nintendo know console gaming and handheld gaming are two completely different arenas. If they're "doing it right this time," I guarandamntee programmable shaders are in.

On the name thing, I just like Nintendo HD. The Nintendo brand is well recognized by both the core and casual. It's simple and it gives the impression that this time they mean business.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fourth Storm said:
It will almost definitely use programmable shaders if it's going to compete. Nintendo know console gaming and handheld gaming are two completely different arenas. If they're "doing it right this time," I guarandamntee programmable shaders are in.

On the name thing, I just like Nintendo HD. The Nintendo brand is well recognized by both the core and casual. It's simple and it gives the impression that this time they mean business.

I think that might be true, even though Nintendo has stuck by fixed shaders all this time... It made sense on 3DS to maybe make development a little easier and possibly to save on battery life (I think?), but you're right, if they want to do this right... programmable shaders should be there.

Neiteio

Well, I for one cannot wait for Nintendo's E3 conference where they reveal the real name as Kafei, and the console is shaped like the Majora's Mask character, and GTA5, MGS5, FFXV, Half-Life 3 and Diablo 3 are all available at launch, with free Steam copies where applicable. Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom