• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Woffls said:
So it would be fair to say that developers/publishers would be more inclined to work with the Nintendo 6 platform because the dev costs would be, presumably, substantially less than PS4/XB3?

If current technologies will work well on N6, and it's launching at least a year ahead of the competition, with dev kits out already. This could easily be an attractive home for 3rd parties.

The Hollywood blockbuster model isn't sustainable apart from the biggest publishers, and the thought of an escalation of costs akin to this generation must terrify even them.

Nintendo's new console would be another way of extending this generation and this generation's technology, a third revenue stream up from the current 2. It would get a lot of support just for that, as it's reducing risk of development.

And say it was as successful as the Wii it would be a complete turnaround from the start of this generation, where developers had already nailed their flag and organised their teams for HD development. Everyone is already in place to support it, and the more successful it is the less desire there will be to jump to much more expensive development.

It's going to be a very interesting phase for the industry this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vagabundo said:
Another rumour. A game journalist I know told me that he has been told Nintendo is going for a winter 2011 release on the Wii2. I told him he was barmy. No way it was 2011. His source was a dev in the US.

If I get any more I'll pass it on.

Incredibly doubtful but would be fantastic if devs had had the dev kits for enough time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DECK'ARD said:
So you boost your console to HD, with all the increase in visual complexity and detail this gives you. And then scale it down to a much lower resolution and make people view that on a 6" screen? That sounds logical. If I was Nintendo I'd prefer them to look at the TV ;)

And all this scaling and decompression is just going to add more lag, multiple players will either be out of sync or framerate will suffer while it makes sure they are all in sync and that all the controllers/screens have received the massive amount of data correctly.

I mean really, you are suddenly turning local multiplayer into a complete expensive nightmare rather than just all looking at the bloody TV! Let's get back to planet Earth ...
I am just saying it is technically viable and if a touchscreen exists as part of the controller it is, in my mind, as viable as the next idea of what the hell nintendo would use it for. It wouldn't have to display what is on the TV, it would function like the second DS screen, sometimes as input, sometimes as genuine display. Having just the video decoding and display on the controller would make it at least feasible to have multiple controllers that use the functionality. The other options are super expensive controllers precluding local MP which is/was a big focus of nintendo, an expensive tablet controller that isn't required for multiplayer games, some requirement to share the tablet part, or a really cheap/really basic touch display. The last seems the only other viable option, other than 'the controller is the console' ideas.

[Nintex]

Vinci said:
No fucking way. I mean, the rumors came in quickly, which would make the think it's possible - but the same year as their handheld?
They seemed desperate to launch the 3DS before the next fiscal year started. A May release with all features wouldn't have made much of a difference given the launch of Pokemon would keep the DS trucking. They had to get it out before April and we now know why.

Oh and Sonic Generations will be a launch title, Sega skipping Nintendo platforms for their new Sonic game? Even Unleashed sold best on Wii.

Truth101

Banned
Vinci said:
No fucking way. I mean, the rumors came in quickly, which would make the think it's possible - but the same year as their handheld?

But, they did intend to release the 3DS for Christmas, in Japan at least. So it is possible that they had already planned a Winter 2011 release date for the Super Wii.

Also if the rumor holds true that there will be both 3rd party and first party Super Wii games shown at E3 then I think the release could be sooner than we expect it.Though, I myself would prefer a 2012 release around the same time the 3DS released, but i wouldn't be disgruntled at a Christmas 2011 release either.

Also as Nintex said above, the 3DS released in the last fiscal year while the Super Wii would be released in this fiscal year. Which I think makes a big difference in the eyes of a company. If it is going to be released this fiscal year I could see a Christmas 2011 release much more likely than a early 2012 release.

JasonMCG said:
I commend your effort, but come on guys, its not going to look like this.

Well no, that's what Sony's knockoff will look like.
But if we're not to believe the large touch screen controller rumour then I don't know what to believe.

Effect

plex said:
What if the tablet isn't part of the controller at all, but instead serves as some kind of hub for all the Café's features? When not in use, it rests in its dock on your coffee table and receives new messages, updates etc. via CaféConnect24. In the morning you'd pick it up to read some latest news and the weather forecast. You also accept new friend requests, browse the eShop and use it as a virtual keyboard when chatting. Of course it could also play VirtualConsole games and maybe some kind of modern board games (party aspect!). The general idea is to have the tablet as an extended arm of the actual console, a companion for everyday.

Edit: And in the dock it would also work as a screen for maps, inventory etc.

Hmm. That would be an interesting use for such a device. Something like that would continue what Nintendo has done with the News Channel, Weather Channel, Everyone Votes, etc... It would also centralize the Virtual Console or at least the interface for it. Making it less cumbersome and interactive. So one could browse it while watching TV and just make a purchase and when they turn their TV to the channel for the new system it's already downloaded. It being able to play VC games might make it to expensive though.

To even do this how much would something like this have to cost though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vinci said:

I'm still convinced the rumors were authorized to be released by Nintendo. The timing was perfect with NPD day, lower than expected 3DS sales, and their investor conference and E3 right around the corner.

Retro said:
SVeoO.jpg

Man that would be so awesome if the controls could do that. I'm just ready to see what the actual controls are gonna look like, and what they can do.

Vinci

Danish
Plinko said:
I'm still convinced the rumors were authorized to be released by Nintendo. The timing was perfect with NPD day, lower than expected 3DS sales, and their investor conference and E3 right around the corner.

If it releases end of this year, it won't have anything to do with the 3DS's sales other than 3DS got delayed from last year into this one.

Still... that's a MASSIVE investment to bring out both in the same year.

Effect said:
Hmm. That would be an interesting use for such a device. Something like that would continue what Nintendo has done with the News Channel, Weather Channel, Everyone Votes, etc... It would also centralize the Virtual Console or at least the interface for it. Making it less cumbersome and interactive. So one could browse it while watching TV and just make a purchase and when they turn their TV to the channel for the new system it's already downloaded.
Imagine how easy purchasing games and content would be if it was handled on a tablet... Where have I seen this before...

[Nintex]

Vinci said:
If it releases end of this year, it won't have anything to do with the 3DS's sales other than 3DS got delayed from last year into this one.

Yep but they will recoup their billions in R&D investments much faster too. Otherwise they're sitting on expensive HD games they can't release because they don't have a suitable system.

Vinci

Danish
The_Darkest_Red said:
Imagine how easy purchasing games and content would be if it was handled on a tablet... Where have I seen this before...

One person might also be controlling a game, while the other person is downloading titles on the tablet. That is, each could utilize the console either in combination or separately.

wrowa

Plinko said:
Am I mistaken, or isn't it the developers own fault costs have gotten out of control?
Why do you think so?

The developers aren't making their games in a vacuum, their games have to compete with the other games in the market. So if you want to sell your game, you have to aim at a great quality all around. You can't just say "I don't try to make good graphics" if you expect your game to sell.

Truth101

Banned
Vinci said:

It technically isn't the same year from a financial standpoint, the 3DS released in the fiscal year of 2010 while the Super Wii would release in the fiscal year of 2011.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Vagabundo said:
Another rumour. A game journalist I know told me that he has been told Nintendo is going for a winter 2011 release on the Wii2. I told him he was barmy. No way it was 2011. His source was a dev in the US.

If I get any more I'll pass it on.

Not unfeasible, as if there is any substance to the explosion of leaks at all it is because devkits and finished controllers (which is the harder one to believe) are out in the wild.

If it wasn't due till next year, Nintendo could play their cards much closer to their chest. And being Nintendo they would have.

So pinch of salt, but at same time wouldn't be that surprised to hear that at E3. Just Nintendo following Apple's bombshell style announcements. And a bombshell it certainly would be, GAF would die.

Vinci

Danish
wrowa said:
Why do you think so?

The developers aren't making their games in a vacuum, their games have to compete with the other games in the market. So if you want to sell your game, you have to aim at a great quality all around. You can't just say "I don't try to make good graphics" if you expect your game to sell.

Not in a scenario within which publishers don't allow for vast experimentation, no.

Effect

The_Darkest_Red said:
Purchasing and browsing is one thing. Playing it on said device is another.

Woffls

DECK'ARD said:
And say it was as successful as the Wii it would be a complete turnaround from the start of this generation, where developers had already nailed their flag and organised their teams for HD development. Everyone is already in place to support it, and the more successful it is the less desire there will be to jump to much more expensive development.
I really hope this happens. I hope N6 extends the usage of current development tools so that developers can make truly innovative and brilliant titles rather than just make current ideas look better. Its popularity will be key to whether this happens, but 3rd party support will be key to its popularity, and everything indicates that they'll be getting a lot of support in that regard.

Retro

StickSoldier said:
Man that would be so awesome if the controls could do that. I'm just ready to see what the actual controls are gonna look like, and what they can do.

Like I said a few pages ago, they already have laser-projected keyboards that can sense which key you're pressing based on where the beam is broken. In theory that should allow for a method of sensing where on the virtual display your finger 'touched'.

They have glasses-less 3-D screens, maybe while working on that technology they found a way to project it at a different angle... would be fuckin' badarse, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

DECK'ARD said:
The Hollywood blockbuster model isn't sustainable apart from the biggest publishers, and the thought of an escalation of costs akin to this generation must terrify even them.

Yes, specifically I heard it as a concern of one of the biggest publishers. So nobody is really immune at this point.

I think the bigger issue is they're locked in an arms race. Consumers expect beyond the level of MW2 and such now, and after BF3 comes out, they'll expect improvement beyond that. Since it's such a lucrative segment they feel compelled to compete on feature lists.

This will definitely be an interesting transition just on how the industry handles costs. Hopefully we'll see more of them try a differentiation model.

I think a lot depends on how long development teams have had dev kits. I mean sure they have them now we know, but for how long? If it's only been for a month or two, I cant see many good, original, third party titles if the thing launches later this year.

JaseMath

If both Sony and MS plan on releasing new consoles next year, it'd be smart of Nintendo to release theirs this fall. Presumably they'd be first in the graphics department (at least for a little while) plus they'd have a leg up on both Sony and MS where innovation is concerned. If Nintendo really wants to attract the core gamer, it'd be wise to not give the core crowd a choice between 3 consoles releasing roughly around the same time; I don't think many of them would choose Nintendo first these days. It'd be a great chance for them to corner the market as a new console while at the same time bringing something new to the table

Vinci

Danish
timetokill said:
Yes, specifically I heard it as a concern of one of the biggest publishers. So nobody is really immune at this point.

I think the bigger issue is they're locked in an arms race. Consumers expect beyond the level of MW2 and such now, and after BF3 comes out, they'll expect improvement beyond that. Since it's such a lucrative segment they feel compelled to compete on feature lists.

This will definitely be an interesting transition just on how the industry handles costs. Hopefully we'll see more of them try a differentiation model.

And key to this would be new interfaces and having content ready in time for the launch of a new system, since the launch window is when publishers are less strict about homogenized content.

brochiller said:
I think a lot depends on how long development teams have had dev kits. I mean sure they have them now we know, but for how long? If it's only been for a month or two, I cant see many good, original, third party titles if the thing launches later this year.

The rumor is that devs have had kits for the new system for upwards of two years.

EDIT @ Jason: MS might get a console out next year, but Sony isn't going to for a while. They've been hemorrhaging cash for too long.

Effect said:
Purchasing and browsing is one thing. Playing it on said device is another.
All I'm saying is that it would go a long way towards streamlining the browsing and purchasing parts of Nintendo's online strategy. People are used to using touch based devices to look for new content and it would make even more sense considering how awful the Wii Shop and DSi shop were.

Effect

Truth101 said:
It technically isn't the same year from a financial standpoint, the 3DS released in the fiscal year of 2010 while the Super Wii would release in the fiscal year of 2011.
It's also not as if Nintendo hasn't done hand held and console releases like that before I believe.

JGS

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
OK last mockup I promise.

F5V2J.jpg
That's how I'm picturing it based on speculation (Coffee button is cool lol)

However, it would have to have a grip underneath to function as the Wiimote. Still not sure what the nunchuck would be though.

Woffls

Just had another crazy idea. Let's say P1 has the traditional controller and they're playing Call of Duty X as normal. Now, P2 has the tablet, and what they see is a top down view of the action, and do things like mark targets, move squads and control predator drones.

Would that work? Obviously P2's tablet would be rendering more lightly, maybe dropping stuff like particle effects and extra AA.

Vinci

Danish
schuelma said:
Whaat? 2 years?

Thought I remembered reading that in this thread. Perhaps it was simply a year.

EDIT: Apologies. I think the comment was that Nintendo had been in discussions with 3rd parties about the new system for two years or so, getting ideas and feedback.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinci said:

I can't imagine devs have had it that long without something leaking out. Months seems much more reasonable.

Vagabundo

I just can't see it myself. If they are courting dev's more aggressively I'd assume they would get the dev kits out to them with enough time to make something for launch. If this is true then they would have had kits out to them summer last year.

Why all the rumours now?

Otherwise we'd be looking as a 3DS type line-up come christmas, in japan, anyway. US and EU won't get it until this time next year. Maybe their would be more launch games for the EU/US launches then.

Truth101

Banned
Vinci said:

EDIT: Apologies. I think the comment was that Nintendo had been in discussions with 3rd parties about the new system for two years or so, getting ideas and feedback.

Sources have this morning confirmed reports that Nintendo has a successor to the Wii in the works, telling us that thirdparty studios including those of Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units of the new hardware for months.

They have also claimed that the system retains motion control, with capabilities that are “better than Move”, meaning that they boast higher fidelity. We do not yet have word on whether or not its motion-controlled solution introduces a camera.

Is that what you were thinking of, maybe?

Also, I'd take notice that it just talks about western developers in that rumor, so it is possible that Japanese 3rd party developers have had dev kits much longer, or Nintendo is really attempting to strengthen their relationship with Western 3rd party devs.

Woffls said:
Just had another crazy idea. Let's say P1 has the traditional controller and they're playing Call of Duty X as normal. Now, P2 has the tablet, and what they see is a top down view of the action, and do things like mark targets, move squads and control predator drones.

Would that work? Obviously P2's tablet would be rendering more lightly, maybe dropping stuff like particle effects and extra AA.
I was thinking about something like that too. There would be tons of cool potential multiplayer/co-op applications with this kind of setup.

[Nintex]

Vagabundo said:
I just can't see it myself. If they are courting dev's more aggressively I'd assume they would get the dev kits out to them with enough time to make something for launch. If this is true then they would have had kits out to them summer last year.

Why all the rumours now?

Otherwise we'd be looking as a 3DS type line-up come christmas, in japan, anyway. US and EU won't get it until this time next year. Maybe their would be more launch games for the EU/US launches then.
This is usually the time that E3 plans are being made so more people were given the information and stuff leaked. It also seems like there was some sort of gentlemans agreement in place to not leak this among the gaming press. Hence the "We were supposed to sit on this untill it was official" comment from a Game Informer editor on Twitter.

Truth101

Banned
[Nintex] said:
This is usually the time that E3 plans are being made so more people were given the information and stuff leaked. It also seems like there was some sort of gentlemans agreement in place to not leak this among the gaming press. Hence the "We were supposed to sit on this untill it was official" comment from a Game Informer editor on Twitter.

Can you link me to that?

Vinci said:
And key to this would be new interfaces and having content ready in time for the launch of a new system, since the launch window is when publishers are less strict about homogenized content.

The rumor is that devs have had kits for the new system for upwards of two years.

EDIT @ Jason: MS might get a console out next year, but Sony isn't going to for a while. They've been hemorrhaging cash for too long.

O_O Source?

Vagabundo

[Nintex] said:

Hrump so, maybe, it has been an open secret for a while.

I suppose the dev's could re-use asset/engines from their HD games to churn out something for launch. Catz HD or something.

linkboy

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo left the Wii on the market and the new system was geared towards hardcore gamers.

It makes sense, you would have a cheap console that is casual based and the more powerful system for the hardcore.

Especially since Nintendo is making a good profit on the Wii and it doesn't cost them anything to make one.

schuelma said:
I can't imagine devs have had it that long without something leaking out. Months seems much more reasonable.

I believe the rumour was that Nintendo had been shopping Wii2 around since 2008-ish (per John Davison) but that proper kits had been in the hands of developers for several months.

I'd imagine that they could have been in talks back in 2008 with a rough idea of what they were going for, and that discussions with certain third parties may have been going on since then, with them moving ahead full force in the last 12 months and kits rolling out at the beginning of this year.

It would perhaps go some way to explaining why just about everyone in the business has been convinced a WiiHD of some sort was coming early, even when the Wii was still doing gangbusters. Rather than some kind of irrational anti-Nintendo bias (as some quarters suggested ;-) ) it could have been based on Nintendo's own behind-closed-doors discussions.

Vagabundo

linkboy said:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo left the Wii on the market and the new system was geared towards hardcore gamers.

It makes sense, you would have a cheap console that is casual based and the more powerful system for the hardcore.

Especially since Nintendo is making a good profit on the Wii and it doesn't cost them anything to make one.

Rebrand it as Wii-lite, maybe slap a HDMI port on the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom