• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bon

Sipowicz said:
i was listening to giant bomb and they made an excellent observation, namely that nintendo is pretty much done with motion control. i can see where they're coming from and to me it's a very promising sign.

nintendo is at their best when they're running contrary to their competition. sony and microsoft are chasing nintendo's five year old fumes. microsoft with a slightly different take on things albeit with the same sort of software. sony with an almost direct copy, again with the same sort of software (and tacked on controls to normal ps3 games)

the new wii and the ngp signify everything that i like about nintendo/sony. i cant wait for e3
How is Nintendo done with motion control? The 3DS has it, and Skyward Sword is going to be one of the motion controllest games they've ever made.

ReBurn

Gold Member
jarosh said:
guys, just found this in my ass

http://i.imgur.com/GMa8g.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

If it had all of those colored lights on it I would buy 2 on day 1. Who cares if it plays games if it's got pretty lights to look at?

Pimpbaa

It all sounds like a much better implementation of the PS3 and PSP remote play. Which has me very interested. I just hope nintendo puts really good cooling into the console itself, because I would like to leave the console on near 24/7. I also hope the controller display scales the picture down so we can get some nice supersampling, rather than rendering at the native resolution of the controller.

KAL2006

Banned
GDGF said:
I know people are worried about a new gamepad splitting the market with the WiiMotion Plus if games are going to use one or the other, but (and this is a rumor that's been floating around a few lesser known sites) what if all new games are compatible with both control options. Like, say, an option screen similar to the one from SSBM integrated into the actual system. WiiMotion Plus remotes are cheap as hell to manufacture now-a-days. Couldn't they just throw one in the box?

Maybe you're saying this doesn't jive with the rumors about upgraded Wiimote functionality. Well, the Wiimote Plus already has a dual-axis tuning fork gyroscope, and a single-axis gyroscope. Is there a way to increase the performance/accuracy of the WiiMotion Plus without changing its internals? Would adding an external camera or upgraded sensor bar directly to the Wii2/Project Cafe' system itself achieve this? It could be a great option for Nintendo. Stick on in the box for cheap (alongside the new controller) and just keep the ones they already have on the shelves that can be used by both Wii and Wii two, but when used with Wii 2 they become more accurate. Nintendo's already shown they have no problem with putting additional hardware inside the box to justify cost (like the charging cradle included with the 3DS) Seems like a nice solution if it's possible. Sorry if this has already been covered. Long thread is long.

This
The WiiMote was such a hit with casuals I doubt it will be abandoned, it is a good idea to keep the same exact controller so casuals can identify it esily, it is like the remote they already know how to use. The new screen controller will also be casual friendly with it's huge touchscreen, but at the same time dudebros and hardcore people can get their traditional games with dual analogs.

As for the rumor that the new motion controls are better than Move, I am sure that didnt come from the french leak but some random magazine that is most likely talking shit.

ReBurn said:
If it had all of those colored lights on it I would buy 2 on day 1. Who cares if it plays games if it's got pretty lights to look at?

isn't that the reason people bought the Wii. that blue light was mezmerizing. they better do the same here

KAL2006 said:
This
The WiiMote was such a hit with casuals I doubt it will be abandoned, it is a good idea to keep the same exact controller so casuals can identify it esily, it is like the remote they already know how to use. The new screen controller will also be casual friendly with it's huge touchscreen, but at the same time dudebros and hardcore people can get their traditional games with dual analogs.

As for the rumor that the new motion controls are better than Move, I am sure that didnt come from the french leak but some random magazine that is most likely talking shit.

Actually, it came from Edge.

From The Dust said:
isn't that the reason people bought the Wii. that blue light was mezmerizing. they better do the same here

The same holds true for the 3DS. That pulsing Blue LED when it's in sleep mode... It's beautiful...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
MadOdorMachine said:
I've seen the videos and I've got both systems. Is this a better comparison?

Kid Icarus VS God of War
You've got both consoles, seen the videos, and yet you posted a comparison using Ridge Racer 3D's BETA screenshots? The game doesn't look like that, and if you had a clue you'd knew the game looks, without any doubt, better than Ridge Racers on PSP. Kinda hilarious that RR PSP looks better than the 3DS' game only in motion (60fps add a lot to a racing game), yet you posted a screenshots' comparison.. of a game which doesn't even exist in that form.

Zeal

Banned
From The Dust said:
I still don't like the "stream full games" thing. in my dorm, I'm only 10 ft away from my tv at the most.

I'd like to repost this, since it was lost in hundreds of posts of the fake console pics. I'd like to hear people's opinions on whether or not it sounds feasible.

I'm thinking the streaming is going to work something like this:

each individual driver in a Mario Kart game has their specific racer and perspective streamed while the TV follows player 1, etc. so player 2, 3, 4 would have their views being streamed to them instead of using a split screen perspective on the TV. same for other multiplayer games.

just the most logical way i could see it happening.

do you guys think it's gonna work something along these lines?

KAL2006

Banned
AceBandage said:
Actually, it came from Edge.

The same holds true for the 3DS. That pulsing Blue LED when it's in sleep mode... It's beautiful...

well then I don't think it is reliable, has Edge ever leaked anything, the only reason I trust the french website leak more is because the got the NGP details right.

Pimpbaa said:
It all sounds like a much better implementation of the PS3 and PSP remote play. Which has me very interested. I just hope nintendo puts really good cooling into the console itself, because I would like to leave the console on near 24/7. I just hope the controller display scales the picture down so we can get some nice supersampling, rather than rendering at the native resolution of the controller.

This could be why the console is going to be so big, according to IGN's rumors anyway. Maybe they anticipate people leaving it on for extended periods of time, and the only way to allow that and have a good amount of horsepower would be to make sure the thing can stay very cool.

Deku said:
So you want this thing to come with 3-4 controllers out of the box? It's not going to happen.
I'd count wiimote/nunchuk as one, and this new frankentroller as a second. Not so different from, say, an Xbox Kinect bundle. Especially if it's a $300+ machine, and considering that these controllers are fairly cheap to produce relative to what they sell them for separately.

It really seems crazy to me that they'd introduce a new playstyle with Wii, improve it mid-generation with MotionPlus, then leave it completely stagnant.
Amir0x said:
Again, as I said, no way Nintendo would flagship a title that requires a controller that does not come with the system.
Wii Fit?
civilstrife said:
This thing will run DVD's.

Forget blu-ray
LOL at holo-anything
If being able to get the low-tech versions of Cafe/PS4/Xbox3 multiplatform games is really important to them, this would be a Bad Idea. Not only is it something that would bite them in the ass, but they've already made that very mistake the N64 and GCN generations. Blu-ray in 2011 and beyond is not some crazy expensive tech.
Fernando Rocker said:
Unfortunely, Tesla wasn't available to work with Nintendo..

=(
There are definitely images out there of a 33-year-old Nikola Tesla and Fusajiro Yamauchi collaborating on something in 1889.

Zeal

Banned
i trust the french website. the french are responsible for some of the biggest leaks in the industry, including Halo 2 leaking a month early.

and like you said, they were right on NGP. the french just don't give a fuck.

Zeal said:
I'd like to repost this, since it was lost in hundreds of posts of the fake console pics. I'd like to hear people's opinions on whether or not it sounds feasible.

do you guys think it's gonna work something along these lines?

sounds like a variation of Pac-Man Vs. it makes sense. games that take place on a single screen however wouldn't need this. say like, I don't know, Crystal Chronicles 2?

antonz

Zeal said:
i trust the french website. the french are responsible for some of the biggest leaks in the industry, including Halo 2 leaking a month early.

and like you said, they were right on NGP. the french just don't give a fuck.
The French had a very different situation though with the NGP. They werent being fed partial information etc. They very likely had direct access to an NGP devkit or the materials that came with it.

They were too precise on the NGP

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
KAL2006 said:
well then I don't think it is reliable, has Edge ever leaked anything, the only reason I trust the french website leak more is because the got the NGP details right.
Yeah, EDGE is only the most respectable magazine of the industry of the last 20years and it still is today, and the only videogame related magazine/website where you could say "journalists" sans the lol-gaming before.

i see streaming being more useful for local multiplayer and/or when some one else wants to use the tv, but i usually would just go play a handheld in the latter situation so meh.

KAL2006

Banned
OK here are my predictions so far based on the rumors

-comes with a controller that looks similar to NGP but more comfortable with better grip, (like that 01net mock up)
-the controller screen size is 6", it is low res, and only has single touch
-a WiiMote also comes with the console, it is the same WiiMote as the original, your old WiiMotes work too
-does NOT stream full games on controller screen, the only thing it does without the need for TV, is check messages/updates, stream video, minigames/ipad type games/casual games, download from store and etc
-backwards compatible with Wii games
-more powerful than 360

screen on the controller can be used for
-multiplayer splitscreen gaming, being able to hide things from opponent, such as Maro Kart item, FIFA/Madden team tactics
-minigames, while not having the TV on, so small iPad type games like boardgames, casual games and etc.
-extra screen for map, inventory and etc
-touch screen can be used as an extra input or trackpad, for example drawing stuff on the tv by using touchscreen (could work on a game like Okami)
-touchscreen could be used to check messages, friends, downloads and etc without exiting game, hell you could do this stuff without the TV on.
-touchscreen could be used as a keypad for messaging, or a trackpad for surfing the web

ReBurn

Gold Member
From The Dust said:
I must admit. The blue light was a selling point for me. I'm not ashamed that sometimes I sat in a dark room just to watch it glow. It seems to glow less these days.

bon

KAL2006 said:
This

That actually seems like one of the most reasonable rumors to me. They already changed the Wiimote by adding Motion + quite a while ago, and Motion + is already pretty comparable to Move. It's not unrealistic to expect an even better motion controller for the new console.

mj1108

KAL2006 said:
OK here are my predictions so far based on the rumors

screen on the controller can be used for
-multiplayer splitscreen gaming, being able to hide things from opponent, such as Maro Kart item, FIFA/Madden team tactics
-minigames, while not having the TV on, so small iPad type games like boardgames, casual games and etc.
-extra screen for map, inventory and etc
-touch screen can be used as an extra input or trackpad, for example drawing stuff on the tv by using touchscreen (could work on a game like Okami)
-touchscreen could be used to check messages, friends, downloads and etc without exiting game, hell you could do this stuff without the TV on.
-touchscreen could be used as a keypad for messaging, or a trackpad for surfing the web

I can see the screen being used for two more things:

1) Location based play. Use the controller to play it via Wifi when you're in Starbucks.
2) The option of being able to play at home without having to turn the TV on at all.

(both are pretty much one in the same)

dacuk

Based on all those representative controller mockups, could we say fighting games won't be common on Project Cafe / Stream / Wiii, will them?

KAL2006

Banned
bon said:
That actually seems like one of the most reasonable rumors to me. They already changed the Wiimote by adding Motion + quite a while ago, and Motion + is already pretty comparable to Move. It's not unrealistic to expect an even better motion controller for the new console.

Motion+ is already good enough, I think having the same WiiMote being part of the new console would be appealing to casuals as they are more familiar with the controller and itr would be appealing to them that their old controllers work for the new console.

antonz

daCuk said:
Based on all those representative controller mockups, could we say fighting games won't be common on Project Cafe / Stream / Wiii, will them?
Dual anologue with all the buttons of a normal controller would have no problem handling this. In fact it could even take ideas from the 3DS such as Lite Mode

daCuk said:

they have all the standard buttons of a 360/PS3. so it's just a matter of figuring out what to use the screen for. maybe a list of moves like the 3DS games do. or bringing info down to the player's screen

woahjeez

Banned
antonz said:
01net is giving some more details on the controller. They seem to suggest screen resolution will fall into the 800 x 500 range. Such LCDs so exist in the 6" area. 800x 480 6" touchscreen is common for GPS devices.

They say their source says this is one of the closest MOCKUPS to the general design
2uyga69.png

This came from my site, wtf

http://nogamerleftbehind.weebly.com...ntendo-console-controller-using-ms-paint.html

watershed

Banned
mj1108 said:

1) Location based play. Use the controller to play it via Wifi when you're in Starbucks.
2) The option of being able to play at home without having to turn the TV on at all.

I agree with 2 but not 1. I can't imagine a set up where all that data is streamed over the internet to wherever you are. Is AT&T at starbucks even good enough to stream that kind of data?

KAL2006

Banned
mj1108 said:

in the same exact post I said that streaming full games won't happen, for many reason this is not possible, firsly input lag, there is not good enough technology to stream games without lag without having to be in the same room as the console, the only streaming that would happen is for things that lag would not matter for, such as checking messages, checking eStore and downloading, checking updates and etc. Simple Ipad/casual/touch games can work such as a board game. also this would make the 3DS less useful

EDIT: and the games that require motion or require the extra screen itself as well as the TV won't work, if they want developers to use the extra screen along with the TV then streaming those full games only on the handheld screen would remove that feature

artwalknoon said:
I agree with 2 but not 1. I can't imagine a set up where all that data is streamed over the internet to wherever you are. Is AT&T at starbucks even good enough to stream that kind of data?

more or less. at least the ones I'm around have fast connections

watershed

Banned
From The Dust said:
more or less. at least the ones I'm around have fast connections

But I'm confused about the idea of playing your games over wifi on the go. First, let's note that I don't believe this will be a feature of the console at all.

But I do think streaming a full game from the console directly to your controller will be there, at least based on the "info" from these rumors.

In the case of streaming to you sitting in starbucks, does the console at home have to be on? How would that work? Or are we literally talking about cloud gaming with user accounts to access software via cloud because I don't think this is gonna happen.

cacildo

Is it against the rules to post a "fuck you nintendo" banner?

Just as a test. I plan to post it "for real" when this damn evil machine gets some real screens.

Difference from "test" to "for real" = none

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Dash Kappei said:
You've got both consoles, seen the videos, and yet you posted a comparison using Ridge Racer 3D's BETA screenshots? The game doesn't look like that, and if you had a clue you'd knew the game looks, without any doubt, better than Ridge Racers on PSP. Kinda hilarious that RR PSP looks better than the 3DS' game only in motion (60fps add a lot to a racing game), yet you posted a screenshots' comparison.. of a game which doesn't even exist in that form.
RR3DS does look like that. In every aspect the PSP version out performs it. Yes, it's only one example, but even the best looking games like Kid Icarus or Resident Evil only look marginally better than what's available on PSP which was released in 2004. That's the whole point of my argument. People think Nintendo won't release a console (Wii 2) that's only marginally better or equivalent to Xbox 360/PS3. I'm saying they just did it with PSP and not to get your hopes up, but carry on.

artwalknoon said:
But I'm confused about the idea of playing your games over wifi on the go. First, let's note that I don't believe this will be a feature of the console at all.

But I do think streaming a full game from the console directly to your controller will be there, at least based on the "info" from these rumors.

In the case of streaming to you sitting in starbucks, does the console at home have to be on? How would that work? Or are we literally talking about cloud gaming with user accounts to access software via cloud because I don't think this is gonna happen.

I assume it works like a VMU. so you can use it while the main isn't on. but as you said, this is a console, not a handheld. it would eat into 3DS sales

Deku

Banned
VMU was a riff on the pocketstation with a twist - it was essentially a very low res GameBoy clone housing the DC memory unit.

Whatever this thing is; it will not be functioning as a memory unit, and running plays on your personal controller would be the least involved function / least interesting. If Nintendo plans for it to be the gimmick to grab people, it will have to do way more than just a VMU type device with a higher res screen, and it looks like they will try to.

M74

From what the French and IGN have been saying, it seems like it'll be closer to Kotaku's concept No. 1. Looks like an iPad with buttons and handles.

dvolovets said:
If we can get a sequel to Lords of Shadow at 60 FPS...

60? How about a mere 30 first?

As much I love certain aspects of Lords of Shadow (the soundtrack, mostly), the game has some really nagging issues in other parts. The framerate being the most obvious one.

on topic: whatever it is, we'll see at E3 ( I guess)

Snakeyes said:
This one is the best. The others are too gamey.

I like this one or the second one. There's just too much unused space on that one though. I feel like they could do something with all that empty bezel there. Maybe a speaker on each side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom