• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Reallink said:
LOL why the fuck does the 3DS even exist if this turns out to be the case. If this device was their goal, they could have easily made a true console/portable hybrid. It would have been a bonafide "paradigm shift", on par with Wii. Instead we get a PSP controller and a 3D DSLite. What a disconnect, so much wasted potential.

The major problem with a "true console/portable hybrid" is the stigma that comes with portables. Everybody always expects much more from a home console than a portable device, as they should. A console should be delivering much more power. The company who does this will probably get slammed for it.

KAL2006

Banned
Reallink said:
LOL why the fuck does the 3DS even exist if this turns out to be the case. If this device was their goal, they could have easily made a true console/portable hybrid. It would have been a bonafide "paradigm shift", on par with Wii. Instead we get a PSP controller and a 3D DSLite. What a disconnect, so much wasted potential.

That is silly, if they made a hybrid handheld/console, not only will they lose money by having both markets in 1. But it wouldn't work. You can't get 360.5 graphics on a handheld, you can't put a bluray/dvd on a handheld. Battery life would be even shitter than 3DS.

This controller doesn't even touch the handheld market, firstly this isn't even a handheld console but just a controller with a screen. The 3DS has it's own thing going for it as it is an actual portable handheld and also it has that 3D without glassses thing going for it.

1-D_FTW

DECK'ARD said:
It's about redundancy.

If Nintendo are looking into the possibilities of using a 3DS for the limited applications of connectivity with their new console, which would be the use the screens, touch etc., then they wouldn't need to in the first place if the controller could already do that.

None of the rumours have added up so far, and the more little things that come from Nintendo the more cold water it pours on them all.

Except it does add up. Why would IGN run with a story about developers saying Nintendo is doing things right this time. And no gimmicks. This is almost guaranteed to be talking about dual sticks. The Horse and Buggy crowd is very dogmatic. This is included with the rumored touch screen. A 3DS is useless for western developers in this regard. You can't sloppily up port your FPS games to be used with a 3DS controller.

IMO you're dealing more with your wishes than what's been released by reliable sources. There's a ton we don't know. And more we're flat wrong about. But I think the two things that are pretty reliable are: touch screen built in and dual sticks.

wsippel

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
It's about redundancy.

If Nintendo are looking into the possibilities of using a 3DS for the limited applications of connectivity with their new console, which would be the use the screens, touch etc., then they wouldn't need to in the first place if the controller could already do that.

None of the rumours have added up so far, and the more little things that come from Nintendo the more cold water it pours on them all.
But they're not redundant. You simply can't stream HD content to a 3" 400 x 240 display, which is supposedly one of the system's key features. You couldn't see shit.

I can see it now, at E3 they'll be saying they could never make the controller a portable device because it's much too big. The joke being it's the same width as an NGP.

KAL2006

Banned
wsippel said:
But they're not redundant. You simply can't stream HD content to a 3" 400 x 240 display, which is supposedly one of the system's key features. You couldn't see shit.

the french site said nothing about streaming full games. It's probably some minigames that are playable on the screen and checking messages, updates, downloads and etc, without the need to have the TV on.

1-D_FTW

KAL2006 said:
Just because they have this new controller does not mean they are going to abandon WiiMote. I would be surprised if the WiiMote was abandoned, I think the WiiMote and this new controller would be bundled with WiiHD.

I like to think so. But something like Graphics Horse's original design is ergonomic enough to be held as a Super Nunchuk. The fact 01.net singled out the above design as the closest is worrying because it's so flat. I don't think that would be very comfortable as a one handed device. And it's not unrealistic to think Nintendo would favor sleek and sexy over being ergonomic to use one handed in FPS games.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
KAL2006 said:
That is silly, if they made a hybrid handheld/console, not only will they lose money by having both markets in 1. But it wouldn't work. You can't get 360.5 graphics on a handheld, you can't put a bluray/dvd on a handheld. Battery life would be even shitter than 3DS.

This controller doesn't even touch the handheld market, firstly this isn't even a handheld console but just a controller with a screen. The 3DS has it's own thing going for it as it is an actual portable handheld and also it has that 3D without glassses thing going for it.

Yeah, the idea of Nintendo taking inspiration from the Dreamcast VMU is a little silly.

Having said that the 'on couch' multilplayer possibilities of everyone having their own personal screen AND a general HD playfield on the TV to refer to is so freaking awesome it gives me chills. It's like Four Swords made easy. And you know Nintendo hates them some online play.

Zeal

Banned
i'm thinking the streaming is going to work something like this:

each individual driver in a Mario Kart game has their specific racer and perspective streamed while the TV follows player 1, etc. so player 2, 3, 4 would have their views being streamed to them instead of using a split screen perspective on the TV. same for other multiplayer games.

just the most logical way i could see it happening.

jarosh

guys, just found this in my ass

GMa8g.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
wsippel said:

Well yeah the game-streaming thing hasn't even been worth thinking about. For a multitude of reasons that's a non-starter.

So all you are left with is connectivity aspects, which Nintendo has now said they are looking at with the 3DS.

Which leaves us with ... nothing for this alleged expensive, fragile, battery hogging controller. Conclusion: it doesn't exist.

watershed

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
It's about redundancy.

But what does connectivity mean?

The ds connects to the wii to download demos it has nothing to do with the ds's touch screens or dual screens. ( I realize the 3ds has an eshop for demos I'm just saying).

The connectivity could be useful for stuff like netflix where you start a movie on your N6 and continue watching it on your 3ds.

It could be used to share user info like the play time stuff or even the pedometer stuff. And it could be used to share content across related games like having SSF4 3D unlocks special content in whatever Street Fighter launches with the N6 etc.

So I don't see what redundancy you're talking about. The only issue could be people not wanting to buy a handheld if the console can stream to a smaller screen that I can take around the house. But even then the 3ds is a handheld with its own set of games and features.

Haint

Plinko said:
The major problem with a "true console/portable hybrid" is the stigma that comes with portables. Everybody always expects much more from a home console than a portable device, as they should. A console should be delivering much more power.

Both of the devices (hardware wise) could have largely remained exactly as they are, they just needed to make the portable single screen. There's zero sense in selling what stands to be a $80-$100 touch screen controller when it costs them a similar amount to produce a whole fucking 3DS. Sell them both as one device--a stand alone portable that plays 3DS quality software anywhere, but is also the standard controller and gimmick for a powerful console. It would be merging markets, but a worthwhile gamble under the looming shadow of iOS/Android/NGP and a huge boost toward console dominance a second generation in a row.

KAL2006

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I like to think so. But something like Graphics Horse's original design is ergonomic enough to be held as a Super Nunchuk. The fact 01.net singled out the above design as the closest is worrying because it's so flat. I don't think that would be very comfortable as a one handed device. And it's not unrealistic to think Nintendo would favor sleek and sexy over being ergonomic to use one handed in FPS games.

what original design are you talking about

also what is it with all these ways of trying to make WiiMote make sense into the design of this touch screen controller. Is it hard to think that the WiiMote will just be a separate device.

nincompoop said:
Chains of Olympus certainly isn't. Never played Ghost of Sparta but I would guess that it's not either.
Hmmmm, comparing KI which is shooting for a stable 60fps, to GoW which isn't? Nintendo's graphical future for Cafe is doomed I suppose...

wsippel

Banned
KAL2006 said:
the french site said nothing about streaming full games. It's probably some minigames that are playable on the screen and checking messages, updates, downloads and etc, without the need to have the TV on.
I actually expect the controller to be an ultra-thin client: no processing power at all. Keeps the cost down and makes things a lot easier for developers. If everything has to be computed on the console and streamed anyway, and it would make no difference if it's a minigame or Mario Galaxy HD.

1-D_FTW

DECK'ARD said:
Well yeah the game-streaming thing hasn't even been worth thinking about. For a multitude of reasons that's a non-starter.

So all you are left with is connectivity aspects, which Nintendo has now said they are looking at with the 3DS.

Which leaves us with ... nothing for this alleged expensive, fragile, battery hogging controller. Conclusion: it doesn't exist.

Dude, it's a brick. Bricks are not only pretty strong, but this thing will have a massive battery life if they don't cheap out. There's space galore for it.

KAL2006

Banned
Reallink said:
Both of the devices (hardware wise) could have largely remained exactly as they are, they just needed to make the portable single screen. There's zero sense in selling what stands to be a $80-$100 touch screen controller when it costs them a similar amount to produce a whole fucking 3DS. Sell them both as one device--a stand alone portable that plays 3DS quality software anywhere, but is also the standard controller and gimmick for a powerful console.

Are you implying this touch screen controller will cost as much as a 3DS, you are crazy, a 3DS not only has a 3D screen, but all the chips, cartridge slots, processor and etc. A controller with a screen does not exactly have to be that expensive, the rumored screen is not even high res.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jarosh said:

http://i.imgur.com/GMa8g.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wait I found something too.

[URL="http://imgur.com/coXJP.png"][IMG]http://imgur.com/coXJP.png[/URL]

Apparently Project Cafe is the codename for the Playstation 4!
Shocked01.gif

I thought I'd go through the OP and bullet point the specifics brought up in the rumors so it's a touch easier to sort out who said what, but I know the OP hasn't been updated in awhile so if one of you more active posters in this thread (like Acebandage or Pantherlotus or Graphicshorse or the like) want to take over and get the rest that hasn't made it into the OP yet I'm sure we'd all be grateful.

Edge:
- Motion-sensing “better than Move”.
- Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have development units

IGN/Jim Reilly:
- pre-announcement this month with a full reveal expected at E3
- BC with Wii
- significantly more powerful than X360/PS3
- 1080p
- screen on controller, will have touch capability
- Dual analog sticks on the controller.
- Can stream game content from the console.
- "New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television."
-

VG247:
- "controller is a touch tablet, with moderate , sub-HD graphic output with a single-touch 6-inch screen, a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar, two d-pads, two bumpers, and possibly more than two triggers."

CVG:
- feature a built-in HD screen.
- "Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting"

Kotaku:
- more powerful than X360/PS3

GameInformer:
- HD System
- Competitive Specs to PS3/360
- Late 2012 launch
- "Nintendo is doing this one right"
- "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

01net::
- "Project Café"
- - Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch".
- custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores
- RAM: unknown. It would be logical that it is a unified RAM, like the 360, with a minimum of 512 MB
- Graphics processor: AMD (ATI) - probably a series R700, with a shader (for managing the effects) more recent than the Xbox 360 (probably version 4.1).
- controller has a six-inch touch screen,
- a front-facing camera,
- D-Pad,
- two bumpers,
- two triggers
- screen resolution will fall into the 800 x 500 range
- and "possibly more,"
- Surprise feature
- Be revealed at E3
- Controller Mockup: http://i51.tinypic.com/2uyga69.png

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
1-D_FTW said:
Dude, it's a brick. Bricks are not only pretty strong, but this thing will have a massive battery life if they don't cheap out. There's space galore for it.

And like a brick it will serve no purpose.

Because it won't do game-streaming, and it clearly doesn't do the connectivity features (touch, controls, and use of screen) that the 3DS does or Nintendo wouldn't be looking into that.

There isn't one compelling, feasible reason for the controller as rumoured to exist with all of its downsides.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Andrex said:
I'm only being belligerent because:

- I'm kind of tired.
- You were being purposefully antagonistic towards members as a Jr.

I'm also tired, but I don't sink to your level writing trash about your "brainpower" or "half a brain", like you do. I just asked some simple questions (without being "antagonistic towards members"), because I didn't want to read all 15893 posts. If you can't reply without being trashy don't reply at all. Ignore on.

1-D_FTW

KAL2006 said:
what original design are you talking about

also what is it with all these ways of trying to make WiiMote make sense into the design of this touch screen controller. Is it hard to think that the WiiMote will just be a separate device.

I'm not sure what you mean with the second part. I'm not trying to incorporate the Wiimote into anything. I've accepted it's not a transformer. This thing is expensive enough without making the engineering/assembly a nightmare. I'm simply talking about holding the Controller 2.0 in the left hand and waving the Wiimote+ in the right hand for FPS games.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27284937&postcount=14042

There's a post with a picture of what I'm talking about. I can't find where he originally posted it.

Reallink said:
Nintendo has still yet to give any information. Quit the judging people, it's borderline insane

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A.KU.MU said:
I'm also tired, but I don't sink to your level writing trash about your "brainpower" or "half a brain", like you do. I just asked some simple questions without being "antagonistic towards members". If you can't reply without being trashy don't reply at all. Ignore on.

Your loss.

Haint

KAL2006 said:
Are you implying this touch screen controller will cost as much as a 3DS, you are crazy, a 3DS not only has a 3D screen, but all the chips, cartridge slots, processor and etc. A controller with a screen does not exactly have to be that expensive, the rumored screen is not even high res.

We know how much a 3DS costs (~$100), a 6" capacitive streaming controller will not be far removed from that amount. Would it cost a little more to put some 3DS guts in there? Yes. Would it be significant? No. The idea behind such a move would be a much better shot at guaranteed dominance of 2 (heavily contested) markets--something they can't bank on, long term, with a stand alone 3DS and Wii 2.

watershed

Banned
DECK'ARD said:

Because it won't do game-streaming, and it clearly doesn't do the connectivity features (touch, controls, and use of screen) that the 3DS does or Nintendo wouldn't be looking into that.

There isn't one compelling, feasible reason for the controller as rumoured to exist with all of its downsides.

You have some of the strangest ways of reasoning I've seen on this forum yet.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
jarosh said:

http://i.imgur.com/GMa8g.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Sounds painful.

[QUOTE=DECK'ARD]Well yeah the game-streaming thing hasn't even been worth thinking about. For a multitude of reasons that's a non-starter.

Which leaves us with ... nothing for this alleged expensive, fragile, battery hogging controller. Conclusion: it doesn't exist.[/QUOTE]
The whole streaming aspect seems the epitome of unnecessary.

DECK'ARD said:

QNO92.jpg

wsippel

Banned
DECK'ARD said:

Could you list that multitude of reasons? Or give at least a few examples? This is supposedly 480p, completely feasible for wireless connections (it wouldn't use WLAN, of course). Due to the fact that the controller would be an ultra-thin client, it wouldn't be that expensive, and there would be no need for a local processor hogging the battery.

KAL2006

Banned
DECK'ARD said:

You are right about there is nothing compelling about having a screen on a controller and it really isn't worth the extra cost. But this isn't new for Nintendo adding features as standard when it is not really needed.
3D screen for 3DS - not really needed, added to the cost of handheld, kills battery life
Dual screens on DS - only really needed 1 touch screen, 2nd screen didn't add much to DS (only a few games used it well)

Anyways here are things a screen on a controller can be used for
-multiplayer splitscreen gaming, being able to hide things from opponent, such as Maro Kart item, FIFA/Madden team tactics
-minigames, while not having the TV on, so small iPad type games like boardgames, casual games and etc.
-extra screen for map, inventory and etc
-touch screen can be used as an extra input or trackpad, for example drawing stuff on the tv by using touchscreen (could work on a game like Okami)
-touchscreen could be used to check messages, friends, downloads and etc without exiting game, hell you could do this stuff without the TV on.
-touchscreen could be used as a keypad for messaging, or a trackpad for surfing the web

Lonewolf_92 said:
I thought I'd go through the OP and bullet point the specifics brought up in the rumors so it's a touch easier to sort out who said what, but I know the OP hasn't been updated in awhile so if one of you more active posters in this thread (like Acebandage or Pantherlotus or Graphicshorse or the like) want to take over and get the rest that hasn't made it into the OP yet I'm sure we'd all be grateful.

Edge:
- Motion-sensing “better than Move”.
- Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have development units

IGN/Jim Reilly:
- pre-announcement this month with a full reveal expected at E3
- BC with Wii
- significantly more powerful than X360/PS3
- 1080p
- screen on controller, will have touch capability
- Dual analog sticks on the controller.
- Can stream game content from the console.
- "New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television."
-

VG247:
- "controller is a touch tablet, with moderate , sub-HD graphic output with a single-touch 6-inch screen, a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar, two d-pads, two bumpers, and possibly more than two triggers."

CVG:
- feature a built-in HD screen.
- "Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting"

Kotaku:
- more powerful than X360/PS3

GameInformer:
- HD System
- Competitive Specs to PS3/360
- Late 2012 launch
- "Nintendo is doing this one right"
- "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

01net::
- "Project Café"
- - Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch".
- custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores
- RAM: unknown. It would be logical that it is a unified RAM, like the 360, with a minimum of 512 MB
- Graphics processor: AMD (ATI) - probably a series R700, with a shader (for managing the effects) more recent than the Xbox 360 (probably version 4.1).
- controller has a six-inch touch screen,
- a front-facing camera,
- D-Pad,
- two bumpers,
- two triggers
- screen resolution will fall into the 800 x 500 range
- and "possibly more,"
- Surprise feature
- Be revealed at E3
- Controller Mockup: http://i51.tinypic.com/2uyga69.png
we gotta keep this and keep logging it so we can keep a score card when E3 comes around.

Reallink[B said:
]We know how much a 3DS costs (~$100)[/B], a 6" capacitive streaming controller will not be far removed from that amount. Would it cost a little more to put some 3DS guts in there? Yes. Would it be significant? No. The idea behind such a move would be a much better shot at guaranteed dominance of 2 (heavily contested) markets--something they can't bank on, long term, with a stand alone 3DS and Wii 2.

LOL, was this based on that article that didn't take into account teh cost of labor and various other factors that go into the cost of a system? Simply adding up the cost of the tech inside the system is stupid

wsippel

Banned
Reallink said:
We know how much a 3DS costs (~$100), a 6" capacitive streaming controller will not be far removed from that amount. Would it cost a little more to put some 3DS guts in there? Yes. Would it be significant? No. The idea behind such a move would be a much better shot at guaranteed dominance of 2 (heavily contested) markets--something they can't bank on, long term, with a stand alone 3DS and Wii 2.
We actually have no idea how much a 3DS costs. We do know that the $100 are bullshit, though. Also, there's a lot of stuff in the 3DS the Frankenpad wouldn't need. No local processor, no storage, no RAM, no cartridge slot. It's basically a regular controller with a tacked on LCD and a slightly more expensive wireless chipset. I have no idea how much a 6" screen is in bulk, but according to TechInsights, a bigger, higher resolution capacitive touch screen is $45, and that's in much smaller numbers. Nintendo might pay Sharp, I don't know, $30 per screen? So no, we're not looking at a $250 controller either way.

KAL2006

Banned
Reallink said:

You are just talking out of you ass now. A controller with a touchscreen would cost significantly less than a 3DS. You know that the touchscreen is rumored to be low res and only single touch according to that french website.

Also again you are ignoring if there was a hybrid handheld/console the console would not be as powerful, you won't be able to fit a DVD/Bluray into the handheld, battery life would be shit, screen on the handheld would have to be 1080p and etc. Also lets not forget Nintendo would rather make money on 2 things than just 1 thing.

EDIT:
you are just pushing for an idea that you are dreaming of, but is illogical in reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom