• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

poppabk said:
What the hell happened? Yesterday there was some rumor that it existed, now we have estimated specs/power, a new controller. Have people been sitting on this info under coercion from nintendo, and the first leak opened the floodgates, or is there one leak heading to multiple outlets? I know the original article cited multiple sources.
Probably the bolded part.

If EDGE posts a story telling them sources confirmed that EA/Activision/Ubisoft already have the devkits, it has to be somewhat true right?

LovingSteam said:
$300 or bust. If its $250, it pretty much tells us what we should expect for its duration. I wish Nintendo would go up to $400 but know they won't.

yeah $399 in barely making a profit to no profit at all would be nice, but we have to remember Nintendo is both Cheap and Greedy for profit on Hardware :(

They may just as well try to join this current HD generation and get owned a year after lauch when SONY and MS both double and triple the power of whatever Nintendo had cooking.

I hope they did not go cheap

Am I the only one feeling a bit cheated by the Wii? It sounds like, with backwards compatibility, that I could have skipped it and kept the Game Cube. I might just regift it if I can find the GBA player for a gamecube.

Eversynth

Pyrokai said:
Gaf, comfort me. Please tell me the controller will not just be a tablet. Please. Tell me this won't happen.
Unless the Wii2 IS a tablet (what a twist), it won't happen, lol... no worries.
I also doubt the 6" touch part.
If there is some truth to it (big IF), it could be a little screen for some kind of customizable buttons/interface, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for a home console.

Sadist said:
Probablt the bolded part.

If EDGE posts a story telling them sources confirmed that EA/Activision/Ubisoft already have the devkits, it has to be somewhat true right?

I trust Edge to have solid industry contacts who they can reach out to in this case, and to have done their legwork and got multiple sources to verify what they're reporting.

Maybe Nintendo should focus on making great games instead of multiple consoles? Seriously- there are so few reasons to touch the wii aside from remakes its sad.

If it is backwards compatible or not it better have a blu ray player. dvd=insta death. guaranteed.

My expectations:

150W - 175W TPD!

4-16 Gigs of Flash

Slot for a laptop hard drive (and two SKUs - one that includes said hard drive)

1-2 GB of GDDR5 used a shared memory pool between CPU and GPU. Early 3rd party games will split them evenly and severely under utilize.

An OOO PowerPC CPU capable of at least 8 simultaneous threads. Probably Titan, PowerPC A2, or PowerPC e5500 based.

A Modern GPU (presumably AMD) - Possibly a mobile part - will also act as the memory controller for the system. Will wipe the floor with Xenos without breaking a sweat.

Bluray or DVD9 as media.

A Hypervisor.

Zeliard

Anslon said:
Am I the only one feeling a bit cheated by the Wii? It sounds like, with backwards compatibility, that I could have skipped it and kept the Game Cube. I might just regift it if I can find the GBA player for a gamecube.

If you have a good rig you should dump those Wii discs to your PC and bust out Dolphin. Wii games take on a whole new life when you're playing them at a resolution that doesn't make you feel sad at how badly the art is wasted.

1-D_FTW

I think my impressions are going to swing on when the release is. If it's 2011, I can understand the specs being what they are. The controller with biofeedback and touch screen will probably be pretty damn cool. The "bit more powerful" will be enough for graphics to not suck like third party PS3/360 games tend to in resolution/fps/IQ arena.

But if they're delaying this till fall 2012, forget it. MS will unveil their monster at E3 2012 and this will be DOA. Third parties don't need a dev kit for 2 years to release enhanced ports of 360/PS3 games. It needs to come out this fall or bust.

[Nintex] said:
Yeah that pretty much proofs that it's bullshit if Nintendo comes out and says it has a rocket attached that shoots your Xbox to Mars they can say: "See we told you there was more!"

It doesn't really say anything. It just means biometrics is built into it and they're saving the unveil till E3 or whenever.

Eversynth said:
Unless the Wii2 IS a tablet (what a twist), it won't happen, lol... no worries.
Download games from the main console to the controller, play on the go? o.0

In any case, these rumors are getting ridiculous. It's like the Revolution release all over again. But god damn do I love new console release rumors.

keke

It would be the first time Nintendo, show a muscle console, compared with competition. I would be really impressed just by that.

Not Believing...

RedSwirl said:
Question: will you re-buy all your N64 and SNES games on Wii2 Virtual Console for the chance to play them all in 1080p on your TV?

Question: have you been paying attention to how Nintendo have handled the transfer of DSiWare to the 3DS?

Once the eShop goes live next month, you can download an app to transfer all of your DSiWare from your DSi to your 3DS, without having to rebuy anything. I expect no less for Virtual Console titles, and possibly even WiiWare

mj1108

I'd say at this point that the stuff contained in the initial article is likely true...and everything else "rumored" outside of it is a lot of bullshit.

thefro

keke said:
It would be the first time Nintendo, show a muscle console, compared with competition. I would be really impressed just by that.

Not Believing...

Are you forgetting the SNES and N64?

Beyond the discs not having enough space, the Gamecube was certainly more powerful than the PS2.

Sadist said:

I trust Edge and I think Nintendo knows how to keep secrets better than anyone, I still see this was an early forced leak but for months everything was dark

I believe the devkits story

keke said:

Not Believing...

The first time since when? The SNES was easily on par with the Genesis (weaker in some areas, better in others), the N64 mopped the floor with the competition in several areas, even if it had a couple of fatal flaws, and the GCN was a little beast that easily competed with the PS2 and Xbox.

But, oh, the Wii changed everything...

wsippel

Banned
BMF said:
An OOO PowerPC CPU capable of at least 8 simultaneous threads. Probably Titan, PowerPC A2, or PowerPC e5500 based.

A Modern GPU (presumably AMD) - Possibly a mobile part - will also act as the memory controller for the system. Will wipe the floor with Xenos without breaking a sweat.
Titan and e5500 are not IBM designs, that's why my money would be on A2. I also consider it possible that Nintendo will use a DMP PICA Extreme instead of an AMD GPU.

Zeliard

Sadist said:

That's almost certain to be true since it's only logical devs would get early glimpses and shots at what the thing can do long before it actually ships, especially if Nintendo wants to rouse up that third-party interest early.

wrowa

gofreak said:
Hardly a get out of jail free card for 01.net. They offer plenty of specifics that would reveal the crapness of their info definitively, if it is wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I hardly KNOW 01.net is right here, but it's annoying to see people be revisionist about their history (wrt NGP for example).
For example? Which other hardware specs were leaked by them?

Their whole report just sounds too implausible to be true, it even partly contradicts what the sources of GameInformer, IGN, Edge etc say ("Nintendo is doing this one right...[it’s] not a gimmick like the Wii.” - that Porject Café sounds like the very definition of gimmick). The technical details are even the most plausible part of their report, but the whole rest doesn't even make much sense.

Yes, they were right with the NGP. That's one time. That surely isn't enough to give them a blank cheque for everything they write from now on.

I don't think the rumour about 'acts as a sensor bar' means you point your Wiimote at it, right? It's just saying it has a different internal system, although it may have been written by someone who still doesn't know what the Wii sensor bar does.

1-D_FTW said:
I think my impressions are going to swing on when the release is. If it's 2011, I can understand the specs being what they are. The controller with biofeedback and touch screen will probably be pretty damn cool. The "bit more powerful" will be enough for graphics to not suck like third party PS3/360 games tend to in resolution/fps/IQ arena.

But if they're delaying this till fall 2012, forget it. MS will unveil their monster at E3 2012 and this will be DOA. Third parties don't need a dev kit for 2 years to release enhanced ports of 360/PS3 games. It needs to come out this fall or bust.

It doesn't really say anything. It just means biometrics is built into it and they're saving the unveil till E3 or whenever.
I hear ya! There system should not be 360/PS3+. It should at least have more than 1 gig of RAM and a DX11 capable GPU. If they release a console with the rumored specs, I expect MS/Sony to destroy it tech wise.

Seda

Crystal Chronicles was a great game sidelined with a massive hardware reliance.

This console sounds perfect for a Crystal Chronicles 2.

Sir Pant

Controllers are going to be expensive as hell.

I'll believe it when I see some real details. So bascially, this would be the first console release of next-gen, and it will be just *better* than X360 and PS3? You know when X720 and PS4 come out they will be worlds beyond whatever Wii2 is....

I've been let down by Nintendo so many times, had my hopes up and been dashed. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though.

Mithos

Gold Member
[Nintex] said:
there's no reason for Nintendo to have designed a system using R700 tech.

Yeah but R700 tech is anything from 4350 to 4890 so what did they go for if the went for R700, and why wouldn't that be more then enough compared to what the PS360 has?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
keke said:

Not Believing...
The Wii wasn't the first console released by Nintendo.

Mithos said:
Yeah but R700 tech is anything from 4350 to 4890 so what did they go for if the went for R700, and why wouldn't that be more then enough compared to what the PS360 has?
The range of capabilities within the R700 family varies, indeed, quite a bit.

Mithos said:
Its still DirectX 10 hardware - no modern effects at all. Same problems as before.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
wrowa said:
For example? Which other hardware specs were leaked by them?

Their whole report just sounds too implausible to be true, it even partly contradicts what the sources of GameInformer, IGN, Edge etc say ("Nintendo is doing this one right...[it’s] not a gimmick like the Wii.” - that Porject Café sounds like the very definition of gimmick). The technical details are even the most plausible part of their report, but the whole rest doesn't even make much sense.

In light of the info reported by multiple other outlets about a screen on the controller etc. I don't think anything they've said is so implausible. Yes, how any of that jives with 'no gimmick' is a debatable matter...

wrowa said:
Yes, they were right with the NGP. That's one time. That surely isn't enough to give them a blank cheque for everything they write from now on.

As I've said exhaustively now, it doesn't make them right on this info. But it is annoying to see people try and write off their NGP story now because they're trying to discredit this story. It's impossible, IMO, to write off the NGP story as a fluke. That's all I'm sayin'...

Deku

Banned
If it is BC on Wii, it is not going to have a tablet controller. It will break how a lot of the games are played.

RedSwirl

Cosmonaut X said:
Question: have you been paying attention to how Nintendo have handled the transfer of DSiWare to the 3DS?

Once the eShop goes live next month, you can download an app to transfer all of your DSiWare from your DSi to your 3DS, without having to rebuy anything. I expect no less for Virtual Console titles, and possibly even WiiWare

What I meant was the games you haven't already re-bought on Virtual Console.

Deku said:
If it is BC on Wii, it is not going to have a tablet controller. It will break how a lot of the games are played.
It simply allows the old Wiimote as a input device. Like the Wii could handle the GC controller.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
maniac-kun said:
Its still DirectX 10 hardware - no modern effects at all. Same problems as before.

DX11 has perhaps some more interesting geometry capabilities, but I think it's hard enough to argue that it represents some huge leap or that you cannot do 'modern effects' on a DX10 level programming model. That's really more dependent on the power behind it rather than the programming model...some would argue DX9 level programmability is enough.

LCfiner

Deku said:

you can bring your own wii controllers. much like how the wii was BC with the GCN.

i think it is likely the Wii2 will have motion controllers but they do not need to be supplied in the box for BC.

edit: damn this thread is still moving fast. beaten, like, a bunch of times.

Interfectum said:
A bit different to look an 1/2 inch down vs. having to look completely away from a TV screen.

We look down at our phones and other gadgets and away from real life all the time. I don't see the problem.

If anything, not being able to "pause" in order to use an item or check a map could add more realism. Of course, it all depends on how it's implemented. Some games, such as Dead Space, I believe, already do this.

And a less cluttered HUD is always a good thing...

[Nintex]

Jocchan said:
The Wii wasn't the first console released by Nintendo.

The range of capabilities within the R700 family varies, indeed, quite a bit.
I still think ATi/AMD would've kicked Nintendo out the back door if they requested an R700 part. Now if someone would say: 'part of the roadmap (Fusion/R800/R900 tech) and comparable with mainstream R700 parts in terms of specs' it could make some sense but ATi/AMD rolling back to previous generation engineering and one of their low points in history(what the R700 series certainly was) just 'because Nintendo' doesn't make any sense.

ryan-ts

Just remember, that 01net info is not gospel. If I see any of you using that information like it's fact I will find you and eat you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom